View Single Post
Old 11-24-2018, 07:50 AM   #72
Boss
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzgurl View Post
Some of my loved ones have had serious struggles over the years - divorce, addictions, career setbacks, what have you - and sentiments that encourage and/or remind them that the situation is temporary are always well received. I agree with Beth that there is a time and a place - and a person - that these types of sentiments are entirely appropriate for.

I also agree about "get well" - I never, ever considered it an "order" until someone pointed that out. Likewise, someone else mentioned that she detested "smile" because it seemed so passive/aggressive to her. I love "be happy" and "smile" and all the rest of the Pollyanna-ish sentiments. I guess that's why there is such a wide variety, and why it's important to know your audience, right?

It’s amazing that you bring up this subject about smile stamps and such. I just removed from stamp drawer a stamp that said - think happy thoughts. I’ve never used it and finally figured out why - if someone isn’t thinking happy thoughts it’s a put-down to them, and if they already are in the happy-thought mode, why send it? Ugh..these are things I never even gave a thought to years ago. The PC world we live in today has created a lot of angst, and in the least likely places, like what to put on a handmade greeting card!!!!

I do have a favorite smile oriented sentiment that I use a lot because it isn’t instructing someone what to think/feel. It’s a Hero Arts sentiment: my heart smiles with thoughts of you. It’s in a script font and looks like a heart-felt, handwritten sentiment. So lovely, and loving!
Another much used favorite is a PSX stamp: You make my heart smile. Once again, it’s just an affirmative, uplifting message for the recipient....an updated version of the thinking-of-you sentiment.
I find myself avoiding the get well stamps until I find out what the ailment is and what the receiver will be facing for recovery. I pretty much stick to thinking-of-you, caring thoughts, love & prayers, as a way to avoid this journey down the rabbit-hole of what sentiment to use.