View Single Post
Old 11-24-2018, 07:14 AM   #71
gregzgurl
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post
After a friend kept calling to say she couldn’t go through with something, that she was too scared, even though she knew it could help her, I made her a card with that sentiment. In tears, she thanked me for believing in her, and we talked about fear, and when I had to be stronger than I thought I could be.

I think some sentiments wait for the right moment and person.

Someone once posted she didn’t like “get well” because it sounded like an order. That was surprising. Obviously “get well” wouldn’t be used for someone who sadly could not get well, but I’d love to get a get well card if sick. So different strokes...
Some of my loved ones have had serious struggles over the years - divorce, addictions, career setbacks, what have you - and sentiments that encourage and/or remind them that the situation is temporary are always well received. I agree with Beth that there is a time and a place - and a person - that these types of sentiments are entirely appropriate for.

I also agree about "get well" - I never, ever considered it an "order" until someone pointed that out. Likewise, someone else mentioned that she detested "smile" because it seemed so passive/aggressive to her. I love "be happy" and "smile" and all the rest of the Pollyanna-ish sentiments. I guess that's why there is such a wide variety, and why it's important to know your audience, right?

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!