Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-20-2018, 06:30 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Brands of quality watercolors?

My niece will be turning 16 next month and has asked for watercolors for her birthday. I can't afford to spend a fortune, but I want to get her quality art supplies. She loves to draw so I have gotten her charcoal pencils before and when I found a set of 132 Prismas NIP at a local thrift shop, they became hers. She has a set of watercolor pencils I gave her last year.

Palette? Tube?

Suggestions please!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2018, 02:43 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,852 Posts

I just bought a set of Arteza half-pan WC paints. There was a lightening deal on Amazon, so my total was $23 and a few cents.

I have only made swatches with the color, but they are easy to use. I know a have seen a video on them from The Frugal Crafter. Maybe there are others out on You Tube. Seems everybody likes the Gansai Tambi, but I wasn't sure I would love paint and didn't want to spend as much money.

Good luck with your choices. I think paper makes a difference. There are a lot of WC paper brands out there.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2018, 10:16 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got this set at Art Supply Warehouse. https://www.cheapjoes.com/winsor-new...RoClIoQAvD_BwE They are nice and smooth and refillable from tubes. They are supposedly art student grade.

Honestly, for a 16 year old, I wold probably go with something like this until she knew she loves it and wants to make it an art form. https://www.amazon.com/Dyvicl-Waterc...33955812&psc=1

Kristina Warner did a review of them and said they were pretty good. She did not love the brush and thought the ones right at the hinge were a bit hard to reach, but for the price they were good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2018, 01:16 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

This one on Amazon has good reviews as to the quality of the paints.

https://www.amazon.com/MeiLiang-Wate...899B8KWF20V0MC
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2018, 01:24 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I personally can recommend the Kuretake Gansai tambi watercolors (36). I got them via Amazon for $33ish I think. They also have the smaller sets at Hobby Lobby. Nice variety of colors. Using the tubes are more cumbersome To me, especially if you don’t know if you will enjoy water coloring much. If I ever buy the tube ones, I like the Daniel Smith ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Everyone has posted great suggestions, don’t think you could go wrong with any. I’d suggest a Winsor Newton Cotman pan set, choose number of pans depending on your budget. I know Amazon offers a 24 pan set for around $36.00. I do love Kuratake Gansai Tambi watercolors, but you want to buy watercolors that are the closest to artist grade color, transparency, and performance. She’ll be able to more accurately apply color theory and mixes will be less likely to muddy. They use traditional watercolor names that make learning easier.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2018, 12:07 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree that Winsor & Newton Cotman would be really nice, and pans can be added. Many years ago it was suggested by an instructor as a good starter set. Pans can be in field sets too, which is fun. Just as a starting point, Dick Blick shows quite a few in the thumbnails you can click on:

https://www.dickblick.com/products/w...saAqs9EALw_wcB

Lots of people like Kuratake Gansai Tambi, so that’s a possibility too, or even Sakura Koi for less $$. I had the Kuratake but fought with it so gave it away, but I’m weird, liking a really expensive watercolor brand as well as one that’s extremely cheap, so my vote shouldn’t count.

Last edited by bjeans; 11-23-2018 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: autospell
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2018, 06:42 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't go wrong with Winsor Newton student grade watercolour set. Lots of colours for a reasonable price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2018, 02:25 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the little Cotman (good student grade brand from W&N) Pocket Sketcher set. It has 12 or 14 half pans in an adorable and practical case. I got it at Joann’s with a coupon a few years ago for a reasonable price, and I really like it. The refill tubes are also easy to find and affordable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2018, 03:44 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I have 3 recommendations; in watercolor, paper is the most important factor in getting a good result. A good brush is next. And if you have those two quality items, you can get good results with a cheaper set of watercolors.

Paper: I recommend a pad of Arches cold-press 140 lb. You can get this at Michaels or Hobby Lobby with a coupon for about $12.00. For reference, here's a link to Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Arches-Waterc...+lb+cold+press

Brush: I recommend a Silver Brush Black Velvet #8 round; here's a link on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Brush-3000S-8-Squirrel-Risslon-x/dp/B004BNAIHW/ref=sr_1_2?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1543407182&sr=1-2&keywords=silver+brush+black+velvet+watercolor+brus hes%2C+short+round+8

Watercolors: a Sakura Koi set; these are top level student grade paints; it has a removable mixing palette that hooks on either side of the case. For reference: https://www.amazon.com/Sakura-XNCW-2...atercolor+sets

So for less than $45, you have a gift any art student would be thrilled to receive, beginner or advanced.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2018, 06:50 AM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

Strongly agree: Good paper makes or breaks watercolors, especially for a student. Buying student grade paper is the quickest way to discourage a newbie when it inevitably yields poor results.Also, the Silver Brushes Black Velvet line are easily available and give a very good result for a beginner.
Probably should have just said "Me Too" to the previous post from Linda E!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2018, 03:56 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks ladies! I had my mom help my pick out some good brushes for her. I know how frustrated I was tole painting years ago when my aunt gave me her "used" brushes. There wasn't much "use" left in them.

I had picked up a Strathmore paper pad for her, but I should be able to exchange it for a better brand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2018, 04:19 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

In a “live” on-line sketch/watercolor class, suddenly I couldn’t do a simple assignment, and after struggling, it finally dawned on me the paper wasn’t my go-to Canson. I had grabbed some cut up pieces of Strathmore that were in my stash.

Later, one of the other students said she was having a difficulty and I asked which paper she was using. It was Strathmore.

Both Canson and Strathmore are inexpensive papers, relatively speaking. Some people like one much more, some the other.

When making cards with just a bit of watercolor I still sometimes use Canson, but Arches is the cat’s meow.

This isn’t a put-down of Strathmore at all, just natural differences in peoples’ preferences, like for watercolors themselves. For anything, almost!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2018, 05:56 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure if you are still deciding, but just wanted to add my husband has been using the Grumbacher Deluxe for over 25 years. He bought them the first time in Germany while in the Army, and has been buying them ever since. They are available at Dick Blick.

Grumbacher Watercolor Pan Sets - BLICK art materials
I see they have opaque and transparent. Not sure what each one is better for, he has the opaque.
Reply With Quote Likes