Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-14-2018, 08:55 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do it yourself card kits

I’m looking for How to’ s, tips and organization ideas for making card kits.
I'm a snow bird getting ready to pack up my card making supplies to take to FL. I don’t have a craft room in Florida so I craft in the kitchen and have to keep all my supplies upstairs. In Florida making a card turns into an Aerobic work out. Running up and down stairs. I would like to make kits where everything I need to make a card is in a 2.5 gallon zip lock bag.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2018, 06:26 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

When I pack for vacations, I bring many sheets of white/cream cardstock, a paper cutter, all my markers, scissors, the thingie that creases, a black inkpad, and a box of un-mounted (rubber or clear) line-image stamps (no solid-images, 'cause no other-coloured ink pads). I am then limited to just colouring stamped images and making cas cards that are heavy on colouring. But I can fussy-cut images, and I can still layer (just colour the outlines of the layering panel with a marker).

Maybe you can empty out one shelf in the kitchen and have your (limited) craft supplies there? It might reduce the amount you'd have to go up and down...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2018, 02:11 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

Sophie's plan is beyond brilliant! I have plenty of space and still may test-run a version of this plan as a trial for when I'm living in an RV (which may be as soon as April). SO glad you chimed in, Sophie! And thanks, Bev, for asking the question!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2018, 05:05 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Sophie's plan is indeed brilliant! I'm going to try it the next time I travel and want to bring just a little something with me. It's a great plan to push me out of my comfort zone, as I am not a big "colorer".

Here's another suggestion --Do you enjoy making multiples of cards (I know that some stampers don't)? If you do, how about designing one, then putting all the bits (including your stamped images) into a large zipper bag to package up into your own kits. For instance, one 12 X 12 sheet can be cut into 6 4 X 5.25 "1st layers" to build a card front on. Then you can color and assemble them at your location, with just a few extra supplies. Kind of like a shoe-box swap, but all for you. I've actually made up some of these kits for people who like to "craft" but don't have the supplies or as gifts for kids rather than store-bought ones.

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2018, 05:29 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe put

Your must use and basic items in one baggie or container so those are at the ready all the time. Then perhaps if you like to color, some pre stamped images or some dsp you can color in another baggie with pencils or watercolor tools.
Preplanned designs with the extra bits to finish them in a container or bag.
Just random thoughts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2018, 05:41 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default I should add

My stamps etc are in another room from my desk so I get going back and forth from room to room. I am able to keep adhesives, scissors, etc in the one room, just run back and forth for the cs, trimmer, and BS. Happy it's not stairs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2018, 11:20 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

If you have space for a metal rolling cart 17.75" x 13.75" x 30.75" with 3 bins like those found at Ikea, Sam's Club or this week at Aldi, you can make a portable craft station that can be rolled out of the way when you aren't using it. I have one that holds limited supplies for those days I feel up to sitting up and crafting a bit in my bedroom, but not quite strong enough to going into my craft room for the full on free for all.

In the top rack I have white and neutral cardstock for bases with a few colors to coordinate with whatever printed paper I've got a fancy to use and a few sheets of metallic or glitter paper. This leaves room on top for a paper trimmer, a cup to hold a ruler, pencil, pick tool, water brush, scissors/snips, sand eraser, liquid glue and a small tape runner. There's also space for my most used sizes of acrylic blocks, a refill bottle for my waterbrush, a small spray bottle for water, roll of tear tape, and stamp cleaner bottle.

In the 2nd shelf I have my stamparatus, stampin scrub, and shammy in a stamp set case with room for at least 25-30 stamp pads stacked 3 or 4 high if I want that many.

In the bottom tier I put up to 10 or so stamp sets and my basic go to embellishments like pearls, rhinestones, buttons, ribbon or anything extra special that just goes with a stamp set or paper. I also keep a rolled up silicon pastry mat here to put on my tray table to protect it. There is also room for my box of stamping blends and dye markers plus my watercolor pencils.

If I am not up to going into my craft room, I am not likely up to cranking my big shot, but there is room on the bottom tier as well for a few die sets if I want to use my big shot to die cut something. It just has to sit on my tray table to use it or on the floor next to me when I'm not.

A good friend has teased me that my "emergency limited supply" kit for rough days is more than some people have at all, so it's possible that if you have the space for this cart you would have more than sufficient supplies to keep you crafting while you are enjoying the winter in a warmer climate and not get tired of what you did bring with you very quickly.

Candi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2018, 05:14 AM   #8  
LYP
Rubber Obsessor

Default Travel Kits

I go to a local craft gathering for a few hours once a week. I started out spending most of the time carrying stuff to my car, unloading, carrying back to my car, etc. I now make kits—everything is cut, scored, stamped and ready to assemble. I carry one bag in, and get much more done than I used to. I do multiples of cards. I also found that on road trips I could assemble cards. I use the same kits as above, but make sure they are colored—can’t color in the car! I bought a plastic lap desk at Michaels that has a deep “bin” on each end. I store dimensionals, Ribbon, scissors, etc, on one end and my ATG gun on the other. It is slower than working at home, but I am accomplishing something on the road. Make sure you have a bag for trash! I carry an empty SU embellishment container that has a lid for dimensional backings.
You might also consider self contained kits for the winter. Stampin Up always has a couple in their catalogs or maybe even a monthly kit. Several companies offer these (SU offers Paper Pumpkin).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2018, 05:50 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

GREATvIDEAS!!!
I love putting together kits, sometimes it is so fun to craft and not think! Haha!!!
I am wondering if anyone knows of a mini rotary style cutter??? My fav cutter is too large!!!! I am in need of a smaller cutter but I love the rotary style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2018, 05:59 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 930 Likes on 851 Posts

I'm the opposite of a snow bird. I pack up and head north to our summer home where my little lake side cabin is a mere 900 sq ft log cabin. I literally have no space. I have a small card table in the corner next to the bathroom. Under that table I keep one of those collapsable storage cubes. I have my small trimmer/scoreboard combo, jar of ribbons and jar of buttons, adheisives, colored pencils, etc. All easy to get to. Then when I'm back home I cut all my card bases, die cuts and stamp all that needs to be stamped and pet each design into separate zip lock bags. Then when I get up north they just get slipped into the cube with my other stuff ready to be made. Works great for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2018, 09:43 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I sometimes put together card kits to take to work and put together when I have a few minutes. As someone else mentioned, I have everything cut, stamped, etc. and all I have to do is put the pieces together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2018, 11:17 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckstampcrazyView Post
GREATvIDEAS!!!
I love putting together kits, sometimes it is so fun to craft and not think! Haha!!!
I am wondering if anyone knows of a mini rotary style cutter??? My fav cutter is too large!!!! I am in need of a smaller cutter but I love the rotary style.
I don't know of a specific mini rotary cutter, but one of the bloggers I used to follow used a magnetic self-healing mat and ruler along with a hand-held rotary cutter (like they use for fabric - they work on paper, too) instead of the ready-made cutters. She liked the versatility and price point, plus that is more portable...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2018, 11:39 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Make some non-stamped cards!

When I travel I experiment with cards that don’t use much stamping. I’ve tried spirelli, embroidery, tea bag folding, origami and iris folding. Before I go, I punch a pile of spirelli circles and/or cut a bunch of paper squares or strips. The only other supplies I need are needle & thread, tape/glue and card blanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2018, 06:28 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Great ideas for traveling card making...something else you could think of is the mini die cutting units that are out on the market today. Altenew Mini Blossom, Sizzix sidekick by Tim Holtz. Several others on the market also; priced reasonably and easy to stash in the car or pack in a suitcase. If I were traveling south for the winter, I would pack a small suitcase with items for watercolor painting, card making, and include a small die cutting machine and pick the smaller dies I have, If flying, you will have to pay for the extra suitcase or just include these items in your carryon piece.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2018, 01:21 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Everyone Great Ideas!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2018, 02:50 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejluykView Post
Great ideas for traveling card making...something else you could think of is the mini die cutting units that are out on the market today. Altenew Mini Blossom, Sizzix sidekick by Tim Holtz. Several others on the market also; priced reasonably and easy to stash in the car or pack in a suitcase. If I were traveling south for the winter, I would pack a small suitcase with items for watercolor painting, card making, and include a small die cutting machine and pick the smaller dies I have, If flying, you will have to pay for the extra suitcase or just include these items in your carryon piece.

Ditto the Sidekick if there’s room - and if you’re into die cutting. I just bought one and was surprised how many dies fit nicely on it, especially sentiments, though everyones’ dies are different. The start kit is on sale for $22.81 on Amazon now, free shipping if Prime. It also clamps down tightly on several surfaces, though I haven’t tried on wood.

Alternatively, if I was bringing a kit in a small container and didn’t have room for a Sidekick or didn’t want to buy one, I’d die cut a lot of sentiments, banners, frames, and favorite dies in white and black, and bring favorite inks to color the white ones if I needed a different color.
Reply With Quote Likes