View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 12:32 AM   #12
lylacfey
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embri View Post
A word of warning for devices that require an internet connection or account to use: if the company ever decides it's no longer financially in their interest to keep hosting, you may well end up with a bricked machine. The same thing happens with online video games that need servers. I would strongly suggest picking a machine that can work 100% offline and with standard .SVG files (or some other vector format). Those that need dedicated software running on a computer are also a potential legacy issue, as the parent company may not update the software for new OS versions.

Also consider the consumable parts, mostly blades. Can you get third-party after market replacement blades? If not, the machine could end up useless if they're discontinued. The cost of the blades and how long they last should also be factored into your purchase decision.
This is such a good advice.

Most of you girls know I have all three machines. A few of you know I just posted at a different forum my Cricut Customer Service fiasco. I am not going over that again, lol. I had to buy another Cricut again. The only reason I bought another one is I got it for $40. My Cameo is on her last her legs. I had two machines conk out on me in one week. One due to old age and the other due to a mfg. mishap.

Cricut is a good machine. The pro's are after market blades that are high quality, nice quality mats that can be used on other machines and can cut heavier materials with ease. Con's- Always online. You can use an Ipad with limited offline connectivity. Industry rumor has it they are working on offline software. I do know some prefer a cloud based application so this could be a very big pro for some. This industry rumor is a real one. Cricut sent out surveys and was looking for feedback this Summer/Fall about offline software.

Silhouette Portrait and Cameo- Pro's- Nice well made machine that has a long life span. Can use it on a variety of Operating Systems from Linux to Mac.

Con's- It cuts heavy material but it is limited. You will need to do multiple passes. This is not a very big issue but can be an issue for some. I do want to list this as a con to be fair.

This is another hesitant con- No after market blades. You can get the CB09 blade holder and buy after market blades. Miss Kate's Cuttables has her own blade holder too. I don't know a lot about it but worth researching if you are looking to buy a cutter.

I have used the CB09 blade holder for many years and buy after market blades that are excellent quality for a very frugal price. Last time I bought blades I purchases 5/$10. Cricut after market you can purchase 5/$6 and under. I have never had any issues.

I absolutely loathe Silhouette's blades for the only fact that if you want to replace the blade you have to replace the whole blade holder. This green girl just faints at all that waste. That's the big reason I bought my CB09 blade holder to replace blades only. Also because I tend to work with heavier materials.

Last one, I promise. ScannCut. I love, love, love, love my ScanNCut. Did I say how much I love it? This is my favorite cutter. I do think it is a specialty cutter.

Pro's- Both offline and cloud software. Score for those looking for options. Of course scan and cut. I have already saved so much money with this option. It is just not you know the obvious reason for most of us over here- mats for our stamps. I have made my own version of expensive scrapbook embellishments, I hardly buy punches since I can scan my scraps in and cut out my images.

Con's- The blades are expensive and no after market blades. I spent two years on the fence about this before my DH got mad and got me the machine for our anniversary. Ten dollars for a blade! Have they lost their minds? To be fair I have had my machine for almost a year. I use it almost daily, like power use it. I am still on the same blade. I do take good care of my blade and maintain it.

Last con- The mats are flimsy and expensive. They are almost $30 for one mat now. I have been blessed and my mat is fine. I think that is years of expertise using die cutters. Girls on YouTube are cutting their mats clean through and then taping them with Duck Tape. That is what your thirty dollars is going to get you when you are learning a new cutter. We all have done something to our mats no matter our level of expertise. This is a huge buyer beware issue.

Most frugal cutter of all three is the Silhouette line. You may pay a few dollars more to make it a frugal cutter but in the end it will start paying you because you can use different programs to cut with, it lasts through different OS upgrades, you can use other mats and different blade holders.

I know this is long. I know Black Friday is coming up so people are looking for info. I do hope it helps some. I do know there are other con's for the machines. I don't want to add them because I have not had issues. I didn't think it would be fair since I have a higher level of cutting experience. If anybody has any updated information please add like you know cutting mat tips, after market blades. Let's share and be kind. No cutting wars. They are all lovely cutters.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!