Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-03-2005, 03:41 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coluzzle-Totally Frustrated!! Need Help

I have had this for quite a while and I don't use it very much. I went to use it the other day and the blade nicked the begging of one of the template channels. Now when I go to use that size channel the blade won't work correctly. This is the second time this has happened to me and now I have two channeles on two of my templates that don't work correctly. Have I totally ruined my coluzzle? I hope that SU comes up with something else next year. Thanks, Carol
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2005, 04:21 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have been debating on whether to get the Coluzzle. Just from what I've heard it seems tricky to use.

Jayne
Jayne, #3653
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2005, 04:23 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Toss it and invest in the Creative Memories circle and oval cutters. I tried the Coluzzle at a scrapbooking class once and vowed never again. For a workshop precut your paper and don't mention how you cut it unless you're asked
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2005, 04:37 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I have had my coluzzle system for years.... even before SU! I love it... the circle and oval ones I found very easy to use. I did buy an alphabet one and used the fiscars cutter instead of the coluzzle one, and nicked it and it's hard to use now. I tried the CM a couple of times and am totally frustrated with it. I find the coluzzle way easier and quicker. I think it's what you get used to. I must say that it took me a couple of tries to get the right amount of pressure to use way back when, but now I use and demo it. Just my opinion. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2005, 04:39 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my Coluzzle, but you will nick it if you force the cutter through it incorrectly. Look at your directions again. It is how you are moving the tool through the channels. Repair it with clear glue and rub excess off while wet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2005, 05:09 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

You can sand it smooth with an emery board.
Are you using the Coluzzle knife? I tried using an x-acto blade when I first got my Coluzzle and it was awful. You need to have the knife and the cutting mat. You cannot use any other kind with it. Someone in marketing's getting paid well for that idea. LOL
I have had mine for about a year and it's a love/hate relationship. I won't buy anymore templates, I have the circle, tag, star and heart. I keep watching posts here to see what others are using for cutting systems and it seems a Sizzex might be the way to go.
Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2005, 05:18 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

You can sand it smooth with an emery board.
Are you using the Coluzzle knife? I tried using an x-acto blade when I first got my Coluzzle and it was awful. You need to have the knife and the cutting mat. You cannot use any other kind with it. Someone in marketing's getting paid well for that idea. LOL
I have had mine for about a year and it's a love/hate relationship. I won't buy anymore templates, I have the circle, tag, star and heart. I keep watching posts here to see what others are using for cutting systems and it seems a Sizzex might be the way to go.
Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2005, 05:41 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Default Coluzzle help

Yes, I did read the directions and I did use the matt and knife that came with it. I will try the sanding and see what happens. Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2005, 05:42 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelwil
I keep watching posts here to see what others are using for cutting systems and it seems a Sizzex might be the way to go.
Kelli
I have the Sizzix, and while I love it for some things, there aren't many options for cutting ovals, circles and squares. I still have to use my Coluzzle for those types of needs.

Alicia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2005, 05:50 PM   #10  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I love mine too and I have tried the others. The keys are to use the pivoting head blade and the foamy mat then relaxxxx! You have to go with the flow! If you push too hard it will nick it. If you have knicked it (to k or not to k?), you can use the reverse side of the template. Again the key is to let the channel do it's thing and let the pivot pivot! Like much of life, don't push too hard. Once you get the "feel", you'll never use another system bc it is so quick and easy and you can see exactly how big to cut your shape.
One more FYI for all... get the companion set sold through SU!!! It makes the perfect CS frame for your photos since it's just a bit bigger and it is a much better size for getting the most of your 4x6 photos!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2005, 06:36 PM   #11  
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

I got a gift certificate to Michaels for Christmas. I'm thinking about getting the coluzzle there.

What's the difference in the starter set sold by SU and the "regular" starter set. From what I can tell, the "regular" starter set has a nested oval template and a heart template. What does SU have?

THANKS!
elizabeth

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2005, 06:38 PM   #12  
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

I got a gift certificate to Michaels for Christmas. I'm thinking about getting the coluzzle there.

What's the difference in the starter set sold by SU and the "regular" starter set. From what I can tell, the "regular" starter set has a nested oval template and a heart template. What does SU have?

THANKS!
elizabeth

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2005, 06:42 PM   #13  
pjl
Glitter Queen

I have the circle coluzzle with the swivel cutter. I also have the fiskars shape cutter with several fiskars templates and the creative memories shape templates. I found them to be frustrating to use and even nicked my coluzzle in the way you described.

Then I bought a glass mat at Michaels. I have tried each of the cutters and templates with this mat and it has made all the difference for me. The cutters all glide over the glass with ease. E.K. Success makes it and it sells for about $13.00.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2005, 08:29 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

I love my coluzzel!! I've used the CM cutting system (too many pieces, and you can't see where you're cutting while you're cutting). I also have the fiskars circle and oval cutters which are ok, but hands down I love the coluzzel more! try the sanding thing. it really just takes practice to get the feel. good luck!
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2005, 08:54 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I have both Coluzzel and the CM cutting system. I first got the Coluzzel and was so frustrated that I just gave up. I used the CM at a Stamp Camp a few months later and it was so easy I bought one. Before it arrived I had to use the Coluzzel. Now it's been two years I only use my Coluzzel. Just relaxxx and go with the pivoting head blade and it works like a charm. I still have the CM in the box. Once you get the hang of it your good to go

Thank goodness we do have choices what works for one may not work for the other. I do believe they both take a little practice to get the hang of them.

Annie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2005, 09:01 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Re: Coluzzle-Totally Frustrated!! Need Help

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol Shafer
I hope that SU comes up with something else next year. Thanks, Carol
I hope not. Were you around for the Circle Scissors? Or the Oval Cropper both in the SU! Catalog & Idea Book a few years ago
I also have the Making Memories Creative Circle Cutter, Fiskars Circle Cutter & Fiskars Oval Cutter. You can tell that I want to be able to cut circles & ovals - I can with my Coluzzle. Just take it easy and let the pivot do the work for you. For Christmas gifts I made 4 doz floating ornaments using the Coluzzle for the window sheet.

I wore Red Panties, now I wear white!!
Don't mess with Old People!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2005, 09:54 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I'm like others, loveit/hate it!! I have the tag template and do love it (wish they made a companion for it or more nesting...)! Got in on the tag challenge even.
The CM circle and oval I prefer, still, but I'm beginning to understand why some people really LOVE this crazy thing. I want a few other templates, so we'll see how we make out over the curves.
ANyways, at our Micheals there is some sort of other template other than having ovals and circles, so thats not so good I think as the SU one and unless our Canadian price was typo's the price in the catty is an incrdible deal even over the 40% off almost. I have sold a couple after using them at workshops and everyone thinks the SU catty has the best value.
The SU catty also gives a craft keeper with theirs!
Laurie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2005, 12:55 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I didn't have a chance to read through all of the information (I'm taking a break from doing some SU! work (organizing) before I have to get ready for my real job ), so I may repeat someone else's suggestion !!! :oops:

I have Coluzzle and LOVE IT !!! Although it took some practice, it was totally worth it. I used the basic supplies during a class and a few of my students were hooked on it too. There were a couple that nicked the template, but if you take an exacto knife and rub it along the nicked piece, it will smooth it out and the template is as good as new !!!

Good luck and I think you should give it a try for a little longer before you just get rid of one system, to buy another. Oh yeah, make sure you keep the cutting blade straight and don't force it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2005, 01:31 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I just have to share this site where I found a ton of neat coluzzle templates. I got the deckle shapes and tiny tags for christmas and I love them.

http://store.scrapbooking-warehouse.com/coluzzle3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2005, 02:48 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've purchased a lot of Coluzzle templates for great prices at http://www.creativexpress.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2005, 07:54 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

This may seem very basic, but I didn't know it when I first bought my Coluzzle and I just hated it. I happened to sit in on a Coluzzle demonstration/workshop at a Scrapbooking convention and the first thing that the demonstrator said was "make sure you hold your knife straight up and down", well I hadn't been doing that ... Since I have started following directions I now just love my coluzzle and use it heaps!

I have tried all sorts of other cutting systems (and since sold them or given them away) and I'm totally hooked on the Coluzzle, although I must admit the tighter corners do take some practice to get right.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2005, 11:02 AM   #22  
Glitter Queen

I too have used Coluzzle, CM cutting system, and Sizzix. I like Coluzzle the best by far, after getting used to it. I always start at the top (the end of the track the farthest away from me) and pull the swivel blade toward me in the track, letting it glide. I have knicked my tracks a few times, but I turn it around and use the opposite end, so the blade glides past the knick. Then it doesn't get caught in it. My customers like the Coluzzle too. Good luck!

~Christy
Reply With Quote Likes