Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-13-2018, 09:18 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squirrel The Trouble with Cardstock

In your opinion what cardstock weight is best for handmade greeting cards? For printed-at-home cards?

110 lb measures the same thickness as most store-bought cards I receive, but it doesn't go through many printers used at home.

65 lb seems too flimsy for a card base for stamping/dies, etc.

I've ordered some 80 lb cardstock, but it seems more expensive than heavier stock.

What's a card-maker to do?:confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2018, 09:42 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

80 lb Neenah solar white classic crest smooth goes through one of the family printers just fine but not my big HP printer. 110 lb won’t work in either of my printers. I agree 65 is pretty flimsy. I like to use the 110 lb for the card base and layer the 80 lb as a panel or as die cuts to that. That may not fit your style of cardmaking though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

I typically layer my cards, 110# for my card base and lower weight for image panel. The paper type is based on printing or stamping and coloring medium. The 65# is great for mats and frames.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

~200gsm (grams per square metre) is the standard I use for card bases, because when I do make cards I tend to do piecework and it gets lots of layers. 200gsm goes in our Epson inkjet printer just fine. I have some 300gsm for extra sturdiness required projects, and that does not go through the inkjet.

I can't fathom the US model of paper weight as there's no less than 5+ overlapping systems of 'pound' measurements, and they're all different depending if it's letterstock, coverstock, paperstock, cardstock, etc. Even more insane than the usual 'freedom units' nonsense. I have no idea how you all cope. ;__;
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2018, 06:48 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmbriView Post
~200gsm (grams per square metre) is the standard I use for card bases, because when I do make cards I tend to do piecework and it gets lots of layers. 200gsm goes in our Epson inkjet printer just fine. I have some 300gsm for extra sturdiness required projects, and that does not go through the inkjet.

I can't fathom the US model of paper weight as there's no less than 5+ overlapping systems of 'pound' measurements, and they're all different depending if it's letterstock, coverstock, paperstock, cardstock, etc. Even more insane than the usual 'freedom units' nonsense. I have no idea how you all cope. ;__;

It ain't easy.

For years, I've wished the US paper manufacturers would adopt the gsm standard. I've done this for years, so I know what to look for, but for the newbies, I imagine it could be a nightmare.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2018, 04:37 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I generally use 80 pound Neenah Classic Crest (not the cheaper Neenah Exact Index line sold in big box stores) on top of a heavy base or bases if multiple frames, often 110 Neenah or many other companies’ heavy colored cardstock - Hero Arts, PTI (though don’t buy from them any more), MFT, others.

80 pound Neenah Classic Crest goes through my ancient Canon printer but I only put one piece through at a time. It costs less than 110 pound.

Not all weights are the same, so 80 pound paper from one company may be different than another. That’s why it was simplest to find a brand I liked and mostly stick with it for a top layer. So many well known card makers use Neenah that it was an easy choice. The lack of uniformity doesn’t bug me since I don’t need five different cardstocks for that top, generally white layer. And Neenah comes in many colors, even shimmer paper.

Last edited by bjeans; 10-15-2018 at 04:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2018, 08:54 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I looked into buying paper online years ago, ended up throwing up my hands in complete disgust and abandoning the idea due to the lack of a standard paper weight. Inches I can handle, cups, fine. Feet, miles, Fahrenheit, at least they're all convertible and defined units. Too many places sell '80lb' or '110lb' but never give you the unit of measurement with it (80 what? paper? cardstock? coverstock? something else?!), so it's absolutely useless for purposes of comparison.

I stick to buying my paper in person nowadays.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2018, 01:13 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 345 Likes on 133 Posts

I got caught out at the weekend at a craft sale. I'm in New Zealand, where we do metric measurements. One of the stalls was selling sealed packs of US letter sized 65lb paper in lovely colours. I like to buy letter sized cardstock when I see it because I'm quite happy working in inches. The seller assured me she uses it for cards 'all the time' so I bought it, then was disappointed with how lightweight it was when I got it home and opened the packs. I guess it will do well for matting and for the insides of pop-ups.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2018, 04:32 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default cardstock

I use 110 for my cards as I like the heft. A couple of years ago I purchased an Anna Griffin printer from HSN and the main reason was it would print 110 cardstock. It is wonderful. This year I found a Kodak Verite printer for my mother and it also prints the 110 cardstock. Kodak makes the Anna Griffin one also. The Verite printers are very economical for both printers and ink. I was not paid to say this... just the only printers that can print the heavier stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2018, 05:05 AM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

You asked two questions-one about paper and one about printers.

I don't print out so I cant speak to that other than reading people said they want machines that are straight feeds and not rolling around a barrel.
I use 110 for base card and single layer. Could be either Neenah or Recollections at Michaels. Depends. If I need the bottom to match the layer I probably use Neenah. If I don't, I might use Michaels. I just started having 80lb for layering. For a long time I just used 110.

It is important to get the right neenah-see below link.

Weird-we don't have a paper product tutorial and it isn't a sticky in the tool and product board. TG I subscribed to paper talks bc I cant get them on search. I guess it is too general a request.

This is a general talk about paper
What's the heaviest cardstock? - Splitcoaststampers

Difference between Neenahs:
Quick ? About Neenah - Splitcoaststampers

When using Copic markers, which Neenah cardstock do I need for the best results? - Splitcoaststampers

FIONNA **rocks** at helping us with paper. Here's a great chart-

Splitcoaststampers - View Single Post - fionna51's Many Lists and Charts

Hope something there helps Just FYI-you can subscribe to threads so you can have them to refer back to which I find fantastic re product talks and techniques.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2018, 05:29 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Default printers

The only printer on the market that will handle card stock successfully is Epson.
Does a good job!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2018, 07:03 AM   #12  

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to philsmom

My Brother printer handles 110 cardstock.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2018, 07:20 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I currenty love Neenah 80lb linen textured card stock for card bases. I might prefer it a bit heavier, but really liking the linen texture and this card stock also works well in the printer (but I am not working so much with digis these days). Might not work so well with all coloring mediums though, I live the coloring effects when using colored pencils on linen textured paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2018, 07:51 AM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Another vote for a Brother laser printer. My 2750 (BW) handles 110" Neenah easily....as long as you remember to choose "heavier" weight in the properties list! (Don't ask.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cardsView Post
I use 110 for my cards as I like the heft. A couple of years ago I purchased an Anna Griffin printer from HSN and the main reason was it would print 110 cardstock. It is wonderful. This year I found a Kodak Verite printer for my mother and it also prints the 110 cardstock. Kodak makes the Anna Griffin one also. The Verite printers are very economical for both printers and ink. I was not paid to say this... just the only printers that can print the heavier stock.

Any printer that accepts horizontal manual feed will likely be able to take the thickest paper you can possibly throw at it, and other materials besides. The key is to find one that accepts horizontal paper and doesn't have to bend it. That's what stops most heavy papers from working correctly in standard printer designs, they aren't flexible enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2018, 03:55 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

My Canon Pixma can handle heavy cardstock. It feeds horizontally, and it doesn't bend the paper, as Embri said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2018, 07:35 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I buy 90lb Coverstock from Staples and it works in my printer. I don’t often print on it though. Apparently coverstock is heavier than regular Cardstock even though the lbs are the same. I can get the name of it if you’d like. I don’t pop in here often so email me. [email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2018, 08:04 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I buy Georgia Pacific 110# Premium Card stock paper. It prints just fine on my very inexpensive HP DeskJet 2132, which I got because my laser doesn't copy. It also prints just fine on my laser printer - a Brother HL-3170CDW. The only paper I've ever had trouble printing is Gina K heavy base weight paper. It wouldn't even go through using the by-pass.
I've also used Neenah solar white and Cryogen White 89#. They all print fine for me.

Kathy's Knook
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2018, 11:19 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmbriView Post
Amen! and then to top it off, a friend has recently gotten me into knitting. Think CS is confusing, try figuring out yarn! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2018, 06:01 AM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

I haven't read all the messages to this thread. So, if this has been mentioned. I do apologize. I keep a supply of good white cardstock, for special cards. But for playing and trying new techniques where I want to use a comparable weight cardstock and not waste my good stuff, I keep some packages of top flight white cardstock that I get at Big Lots. 75 sheets for $3.50. Like I said, I don't use it for my best cards, but for samples and taking to card making class for demos, this is perfect!!! All the ladies can afford it for themselves too. It prints well, it receives ink well, color pencils work well, some of the markers well too. It won't take a lot of scrubbing, but it is pretty durable. So this is an option for samples and playing. It also works pretty well for 3D crafts too. A lot of times I will adhere 2 sheets together to make it firmer and then dress my project up with designer paper or another layer of designer cardstock. Just a thought for another source of cardstock. patty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2018, 03:19 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

If I trim a bit off the heavier cardstock width, goes thru printer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2018, 05:24 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

take your favorite cardstock for bases to a printer store and find a printer that works with your fave!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2018, 05:39 AM   #23  
Embossing Fanatic

So Good to "hear" from you again, Joan! The boxes can wait.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2018, 07:30 AM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

Some really informative replies! Thanks to all and any who might. One of the most frustrating things, for me, is to read that a printer will handle cardstock without specifying what that means only to discover the fine print somewhere else that the printer will handle "cardstock" weight up to 43 lb - which is flimsy 65 lb cover. AARRGGHH :confused:

Anyway, if there are more answers I'd love to hear 'em.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2018, 09:48 AM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

I’m fortunate to have an Epson R2000 that takes heavy paper without any issues, but all is not sunshine and lollipops. It has 8 cartridges, and if I don’t use it at least a couple of times a week it clogs. It’s a pain to clear the print head jets, so I have to really want to print something to clean and clear it. It’s probably 5 years old, and I use the Windex with ammonia method to do it. If I’ve let it sit for a month or two, I use straight ammonia. I will tell you the built in head cleaning process only wastes ink. Since I’ve retired I rarely print anything anymore. If I do want to print something I use my laser. I wish someone would invent a trouble free inkjet!!!
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2018, 04:21 PM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I’ve had my Canon inkjet for about 100 years, no problems, and sometimes month plus without printing. But while 80 lb. Neenah goes through, it won’t take 110 lb. Someone I met at an LSS has a different Canon and she can put heavier CS through, but I didn’t think to ask which one.

I like their customer service; it’s in Virginia - or was last time I called. When I needed help to print using a certain type of camera, it wouldn’t work b/c it was too old for a driver that needed to be installed. The rep spent almost an hour figuring out a workaround, and teaching me step by step what to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2018, 07:01 AM   #27  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I’ve had my Canon inkjet for about 100 years, no problems, and sometimes month plus without printing.

:shock::shock::shock::shock:

Wow! I thought I was old!

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2018, 09:48 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mullanphy LaneView Post
:shock::shock::shock::shock:

Wow! I thought I was old!

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

This made me laugh, because I have now twice replaced printers for my aunt (84) because she didn't use them often enough and the print heads dried up so much that even with my best efforts (and they're pretty good) I was unable to get them printing properly again. I brought her our old one but it was incompatible with Windows 8, so I told her she was better off emailing me anything she needed printed and I'd post it back to her the next day. Better than new printers and new ink all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes