Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accurate cardstock cuts

I am new to card making. I have a Paper Studio trimmer. I have cut cardstock from Hobby Lobby and Stampin Up to make card bases and every time when I place my cut piece in the score board it is uneven. How do I get a straight even cut?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2018, 10:27 AM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

First of all - welcome!! I have had the same problem with trimmers. I've gone through three rotatory blade Fiskars trimmers. I recently bought the Tim Holtz 12" guillotine trimmer and there is a plastic spring loaded finger bar that when you push down on it, it will keep the paper nice & snug. I've gotten straight cuts every time. Make sure when you are using your trimmer you are holding the paper down with your other hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2018, 10:40 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes cardstock is not cut accurately but for me it’s been my former paper cutters. I’ve had several that cut a hair or more off. One way you can check your full sheet of card stock is by scoring and folding to see if the edges match. If they match it might be the trimmer when you are making additional cuts. There have been several SCS threads about paper cutters and straight cuts. Sometimes the blades are off and sometimes the bumpers or the grids are off. I would think that Stampin’ Up cardstock would come accurately cut but I don’t have any actual experience with either of the brands you mention.

The above advice about keeping the paper steady while cutting is important too.

Last edited by maryalena; 09-11-2018 at 10:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2018, 02:03 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing I do is score first and fold the card base before I cut...so the edges are cut identical and if they are off a hair both halves are off a hair. It makes it less noticeable.

Second thing if I want to cut first I have found a 45 degree triangle keeps my papers butted up tight to the paper guides. Becca Feeken shows how here:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2018, 07:52 PM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

I scored and folded the cardstock. The ends matched up but one of the side edges were off a little. So I measured another sheet of cardstock and discovered both sides (8 1/2 & 11) were off. After trimming to the correct size I got a perfect match. Now 148 more sheets to go😏. Thanks for the tip😘.
Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
Sometimes cardstock is not cut accurately but for me it�s been my former paper cutters. I�ve had several that cut a hair or more off. One way you can check your full sheet of card stock is by scoring and folding to see if the edges match. If they match it might be the trimmer when you are making additional cuts. There have been several SCS threads about paper cutters and straight cuts. Sometimes the blades are off and sometimes the bumpers or the grids are off. I would think that Stampin� Up cardstock would come accurately cut but I don�t have any actual experience with either of the brands you mention.

The above advice about keeping the paper steady while cutting is important too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2018, 03:05 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Someone mentioned that cutters can be off too. I am not sure how to check mine...

Cutters have been the bane of my card existence. I have a triangle though so I will try that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Someone mentioned that cutters can be off too. I am not sure how to check mine...

Cutters have been the bane of my card existence. I have a triangle though so I will try that.
That can be frustrating. Fortunately I have purchased only the Paper Studio cutter. Now I have a guillotine cutter that I am enjoying so far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2018, 04:11 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

For a long time I thought my guillotine cutter was off because my cuts were off until I realized that I wasn't putting the handle of the cutter all the way in the up position before putting the paper on the cutter. Just a fraction of an inch in the down position wouldn't let the paper butt all the way to the top. When using the 45 degree triangle with the cutter if the paper doesn't lay flat and smooth first thing I check is to make sure the handle is up correctly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2018, 06:43 AM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by August29View Post
For a long time I thought my guillotine cutter was off because my cuts were off until I realized that I wasn't putting the handle of the cutter all the way in the up position before putting the paper on the cutter. Just a fraction of an inch in the down position wouldn't let the paper butt all the way to the top. When using the 45 degree triangle with the cutter if the paper doesn't lay flat and smooth first thing I check is to make sure the handle is up correctly.
I have discovered the same thing and have to remind myself to check the position of the handle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2018, 07:49 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had a few trimmer and none ever cut straight, always thought it was me. I recently invested in the Fiskars ProCision Trimmer and it's amazing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I had developed a problem with my trusty Tonic rotary trimmer of over 10 years. All of a sudden I noticed one side or another was not cutting straight.

I ran my hand down the channel where the cutting blade goes.......guess what. Over the years and these many cuts there was a slight wow in the plastic runner, just about the spot where you would be cutting out 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 inch card and layers. Consistently cutting these measurements over the years meant wear and tear over this spot!

It’s like using a plastic ruler over time gets worn down, so it’s best to use a ruler with a metal edge right.

I bought with coupon a WRMK board because it was a good buy.......Yureeka now my edges are nice and straight. Never thought to check this out now I no longer have to go back and trim. Maybe that is why I believe France Martin has a video on how to replace that piece if you have an SU Trimmer, mine was a Tonic which I loved.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2018, 01:40 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Some score boards are designed to leave one vertical edge of your card longer than the other, this is to give you what I think is called a 'leading edge' and it makes the card easier to open.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2018, 05:24 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Several tips up there I had not heard before! Thanks!
I have a guillotine too so I will check that about the handle.
I also have found a build up of paper dust/bits in the track of a rotary.

Sometimes I wonder if I am not getting what I pay for. If I keep paying less for a mass produced piece of plastic trimmer (30-40) ...can I be surprised if it is an 1/8th or 1/16th off? In other fields that might not matter, but we see it.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2018, 06:06 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 242 Likes on 130 Posts

When I work with the group I teach, I watch when they use the paper trimmers and am surprised at the number that abut the paper against the top rail properly, but then draw the cutter from top down, working against the top edge holding the paper in place. If the paper is abutted against the top rail, the blade should be pushed upward so the paper stays secure against the edge. Those that feel more comfortable cutting downward, should abut the paper against the bottom edge. That's why I turn my cutter upside down as the extension ruler is only on one end, and I'm more comfortable pulling the blade toward me. If you use a guillotine, what August 29 said is the best tip ever! If your paper comes cut wonky from the manufacturer, none of this will help. I would return what's left and ask for a replacement or money back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Default Best Investment EVER for me

Quote:

Originally Posted by fifiwesfanView Post
I'vehadafew trimmer and none ever cut straight, always thought it was me. I recently invested in the Fiskars ProCision Trimmer and it's amazing.

I agree 100%. Yes, it is an investment, but for the number of straight, precision cuts I need to make every day as an obsessed card maker and papercraft instructor, the ProCision cutter is worth every penny. It's the best tool purchase I've ever made and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. When I remember how much frustration and wasted time the smaller and less expensive trimmers caused me on a daily basis, I can't imagine life without this cutter any more. And I'm not just being brand-loyal, either. I had a smaller, compact Fiskars trimmer and it gave me just as much trouble as all the other brands I'd bought.

But this ProCision trimmer is so precise and reliable that, when I find a white card base edge peeking out from behind a dark-colored card front because it's been adhered slightly off-kilter, this trimmer will shear off that sliver so finely that it curls! The only negative I can think of with this tool is that it doesn't offer the convenience of a built-in scorer. But I'll gladly take that trade-off every day and twice on Sunday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2018, 11:56 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

Totally agree with what Jeanne3579 said - I always abut my paper with the bottom edge of my rotary trimmer and slide the cutter down - and I get perfect results.

I find I get better results with a rotary trimmer than a guillotine for large pieces like the card bases or larger layers, but use a small guillotene for trimming small layers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
When I work with the group I teach, I watch when they use the paper trimmers and am surprised at the number that abut the paper against the top rail properly, but then draw the cutter from top down, working against the top edge holding the paper in place. If the paper is abutted against the top rail, the blade should be pushed upward so the paper stays secure against the edge. Those that feel more comfortable cutting downward, should abut the paper against the bottom edge. That's why I turn my cutter upside down as the extension ruler is only on one end, and I'm more comfortable pulling the blade toward me. If you use a guillotine, what August 29 said is the best tip ever! If your paper comes cut wonky from the manufacturer, none of this will help. I would return what's left and ask for a replacement or money back.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2018, 12:41 PM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Straight cuts

Thank you so much for all your input on getting straight cuts on cardstock. I have had so many problems and recently made 25 similar cards. Many of them came out wonky and I had to reinsert the cardstock into the cutter to get a straight edge. Some I was able to cut with scissors. But this took a lot of time and was very frustrating. I will try the idea of placing the cardstock at the bottom of my cutter and cut downwards. I will definitely get the triangle, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2018, 04:05 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpinaz27View Post
I agree 100%. Yes, it is an investment, but for the number of straight, precision cuts I need to make every day as an obsessed card maker and papercraft instructor, the ProCision cutter is worth every penny. It's the best tool purchase I've ever made and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. When I remember how much frustration and wasted time the smaller and less expensive trimmers caused me on a daily basis, I can't imagine life without this cutter any more. And I'm not just being brand-loyal, either. I had a smaller, compact Fiskars trimmer and it gave me just as much trouble as all the other brands I'd bought.

But this ProCision trimmer is so precise and reliable that, when I find a white card base edge peeking out from behind a dark-colored card front because it's been adhered slightly off-kilter, this trimmer will shear off that sliver so finely that it curls! The only negative I can think of with this tool is that it doesn't offer the convenience of a built-in scorer. But I'll gladly take that trade-off every day and twice on Sunday!
I feel like I could've written all of this. I have 4 'cheaper' trimmers including the Tonic and had problems with all. I took one of those curled slivers to work to show my co-workers, I was that impressed. Its not light and compact like the others but I'm fine with a substantial, functioning product.

Now if I could just make myself get rid of at least 2 of those other wonky trimmers, that would be wonderful but...................I might need them some day for whatever reason! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2018, 07:34 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Ive tried a few trimmers but keep coming back to a self-sharpening rotary cutter (Cutterpede) or a guillotine trimmer. Nothing else is accurate enough.

Yes, it can be the cardstock. But I�ve found that to be pretty rare. Occasionally the paper is a bit larger than expected but it�s straight. Of course make sure you are always placing the paper carefully. But usually a premium trimmer is the solution. They can be spendy, $100+, when you are new but if any craft using paper is in your future, it�s totally worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2018, 09:17 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally bought a Rotatrim after too many failed cutters, rotary and guillotine. I cut a lot of cardstock and paper and bad cuts and pieces of metal and plastic falling off were ruining my day. Perfect cuts every time and no lock down rail step. The blade is much larger, self sharpening, and housed in a cast iron casing. I think there are other cheaper good cutters out there but I ran out of gas trying to find one. FYI this is not a mass sheets of cardstock cutter. It is designed for precision cuts one to two sheets of cardstock at a time.

Amazon.com : Rotatrim RC RCM12 12-Inch Cut Rotatrim Professional-12 Cutter : Printer Cutters : Camera & Photo

Last edited by maryalena; 09-20-2018 at 09:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2018, 02:02 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
I finally bought a Rotatrim after too many failed cutters, rotary and guillotine. I cut a lot of cardstock and paper and bad cuts and pieces of metal and plastic falling off were ruining my day. Perfect cuts every time and no lock down rail step. The blade is much larger, self sharpening, and housed in a cast iron casing. I think there are other cheaper good cutters out there but I ran out of gas trying to find one. FYI this is not a mass sheets of cardstock cutter. It is designed for precision cuts one to two sheets of cardstock at a time.

Amazon.com : Rotatrim RC RCM12 12-Inch Cut Rotatrim Professional-12 Cutter : Printer Cutters : Camera & Photo

I like that paper guide!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2018, 01:48 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Paper trimmers are the bane of the paper crafting world. I have gone through so many I could have bought all of SU's catalog for the money I spent.

I fold my cardstock. I take my metal ruler and craft knife and cut the extra edges off. Quick & simple.

I know that tip could be hard for some people. It works with a good trimmer too like a guillotine.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2018, 01:20 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I too tend to fold, then trim off any excess overhand either side with my guillotine. Very often it's the cardstock not being cut square from the supplier giving the problem. If the edge resting against your guide is a hair off, then your own cuts/scoring are going to be off. I can remember being told that quite often the edges of trimmers etc can be off, and you will get far straighter cuts by lining up on any gridlines on your trimmer, rather than butting up to the edge- That would also solve the issue on non square cut cardstock too, I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2018, 03:47 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I too tend to fold, then trim off any excess overhand either side with my guillotine. Very often it's the cardstock not being cut square from the supplier giving the problem. If the edge resting against your guide is a hair off, then your own cuts/scoring are going to be off. I can remember being told that quite often the edges of trimmers etc can be off, and you will get far straighter cuts by lining up on any gridlines on your trimmer, rather than butting up to the edge- That would also solve the issue on non square cut cardstock too, I think.

Agree with lining up on the cutter grid lines for some cardstock. Neenah hasn�t needed that, but other manufacturers� papers are not always trued up.

I mainly use a Carl cutter, as suggested by several SCSers, and the paper is clamped down before cutting, so whether the paper isn�t �square� or I�m using a big scrap I want to square up, by aligning paper on a grid line, it�s square. (Plus you can cut many pieces at one time, chipboard, etc.)

But an older �regular� Fiskars or a little guillotine are often used for tiny strips being cut off of very small scraps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2018, 06:34 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

As I previously posted my plastic guide developed a dent in it. It was in the spot where you cut an A2 card.
Constantly cutting one way and then a cross, always the same cut over the years I think this spot had too much wear and tear.
I will try putting paper at bottom. I did purchase a WRMK some time back. On the top of the guide it has a magnet,that clicks into place when you put it down holding the paper in place.
Reply With Quote Likes