Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: Why don't you try tutorials
I didn't know there were tutorials available! 16 26.67%
I'm basically a cardmaker only. 13 21.67%
I'm basically a scrapbooker only. 1 1.67%
I don't have the supplies needed. 4 6.67%
Other...please tell us why! 26 43.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2018, 11:28 AM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts
Default Tutorials

Just wondered why more people aren't taking advantage of the free tutorials in the resource section here on SCS.

I should've added a box for "I do participate!" I clicked on other because I do participate.

Last edited by muscrat; 09-26-2018 at 11:34 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2018, 12:28 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I often look at the new tutorials and then do them much later on. Once or twice I added my card to the gallery for the tutorial.

However, I also look through past tutorials.

So I definitely use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2018, 12:35 PM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 839 Likes on 277 Posts

I don't think people don't use the tutorials, I think they just don't share their finished work here. I use the tutorials fairly often because I make things for craft shows but I have uploaded photos to here in forever (several years).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2018, 12:36 PM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use the tutorials, and I appreciate the videos that accompany them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaddictView Post
I don't think people don't use the tutorials, I think they just don't share their finished work here. I use the tutorials fairly often because I make things for craft shows but I have uploaded photos to here in forever (several years).

I never gave that a thought before! I just assumed no one was doing them because there aren't many in those galleries. Its good to know people are using them. But I sure would love to see their creations!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2018, 01:14 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

When I had more time and was able to stamp every day, I used to try to make them each week, so long as I had the supplies needed. These last few years I have had less time, and am more likely to incorporate them with something else if it works out. I'm generally able to work ahead for the two challenges I host, though, so I don't get round to them as often as I used to. ABAC projects don't generally suit my needs so I'm less likely to note them. I do appreciate it when people upload to the technique spotlight gallery, as I often use those for inspiration. I revisit some older tutorials frequently...for example, I used the pop-up book card for my TPT card this week.

I'm very much NOT a video person, so I love that there are still written tutorials with step-out photos. My attention span for videos only runs to about 5 minutes, except for when I'm sick in bed. I know other people love videos, so it's great that there are both options.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2018, 01:23 PM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

I am the opposite. I love video tutorials that I can stop and rewind if I don't get it! But I also will not watch a video that is over 20-25 minutes. Definitely won't watch an hour long video. They post those Facebook live videos and spend half the time saying hello to people! I hide all of those in my subscriptions. But the tutorials here are never long ones. Love love love them! I'm itching for more so I guess maybe I should just go back and do some earlier ones I missed. I've done nearly every one for the past four years! Had to skip some because I didn't have the supplies . ( example, I don't have chibitronics so I couldn't make a light up card.) If I ever get those supplies, I'll revisit those tutorials.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2018, 01:38 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I prefer videos to be quick and to the point, as well. The ones here fit the bill.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I definitely use the SCS tutorials - some that are old. Not always step-by-step but to clarify or get direction.

I’m better with videos - and written instructions just to refer to for clarification. If they are only written with pics I might pass hoping to find a video.
I really enjoy comments tossed in during the video about the crafter’s life/people/animals, though efficiency is appreciated. I don’t have patience for videos where the first 5-7 minutes nothing is going on except getting settled, talking about the day, looking for runaway tools, etc.

Today I watched a video (not SCS) where parts that did not go well were shown and what the thinking was making a choice or abandoning it, and I loved that. She also fast forwarded through parts that were repeats of steps she had already demo’ed. {applause} Now I need to find her name. Hero Arts...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2018, 03:41 PM   #10  

Received 299 Likes on 213 Posts

I LOVE SCS tutorials! I love that they come with still photos and video. I used one yesterday! I am so excited about it. I will post it on Friday. It was so easy. That is my favorite kind. I created a treat bag without needing an expensive die. I do think that our "instant" society plays into my impatience. I found that I started the treat bag with the still photos, wanted to see exactly where some cuts were placed so I started the video. I was impatient so I didn't listen to the beginning but skipped forward to the spot I needed and then I went back twice to make sure I had it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2018, 05:52 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

I don't use them regularly, but I refer to them now and again when I want to try something new or if/when I remember one that I was interested in that I didn't have time to do previously. That being said, I don't do ANYTHING stamp-related regularly! I keep hoping to change that, but so far not so much...

I also think that beaddict is correct - a lot of people who actually do the tutorials either don't share, or don't put the keyword in so it shows up in the gallery...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2018, 06:03 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I don't use them regularly, but I refer to them now and again when I want to try something new or if/when I remember one that I was interested in that I didn't have time to do previously. That being said, I don't do ANYTHING stamp-related regularly! I keep hoping to change that, but so far not so much...

I also think that beaddict is correct - a lot of people who actually do the tutorials either don't share, or don't put the keyword in so it shows up in the gallery...

There are no keywords, so people are just not uploading to the technique gallery, which is where the tutorials go each Wednesday. I did some years ago and just didn't upload them to the technique gallery so I'm doing some over again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2018, 06:15 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 854 Likes on 511 Posts
Smile

Thanks for reminding me about the tutorials. Love the one they showed using water based markers! I prefer the ones that aren't too complicated.
Enjoy looking at them and learning new things!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2018, 06:16 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

It never dawned on me to upload to the technique gallery if doing a project from a tutorial, or one inspired by it. :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2018, 06:43 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Yes. Its like dtgd and falliday fest. They have specific galleries and so does the tutorials. You upload to the technique gallery and choose the name of the tutorial.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2018, 06:50 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

I haven’t done those. : ) I wonder how many people know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2018, 06:51 PM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I forget they are here. I spend more time watching Jennifer McGuire, Kristina Werner, Catherine Pooler, Lydia - Understand Blue, stamp company blogs, etc. that come to my email than I do on SCS. The SCS newsletter hasn't been as interesting to me as the others so I unsubscribed. I don't look at Pinterest as much as I used to either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2018, 07:05 PM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

I wish more people would check them out! Many of them are done by the very people you may already watch on YouTube! Kelly Acheson, Dawn Griffith, Lydia, Dina Kowal,Frenchie, Dawn olchefske, Mary Deatherage, just to drop a few names! Some weeks there might be a tutorial I will only try that once, but then there are weeks that I can't stop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2018, 10:14 PM   #19  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Judy and I sometimes use them for TLC challenges if they're something new that hasn't already featured. Sometimes that's how I get back to try one that caught my attention. I pre-empted the Impossible Card in the Inkling by two days ;-)...or I would have had the on-site tutorial and video to link in my write-up. Where we feature an SCS tutorial we always encourage people to upload to the technique gallery. For me it's like the difference between being able to go right to the correct shelf in the library to find a book I'm looking for, or having to randomly wander down the aisles. I often run slideshows of an SU set gallery or a particular technique.

I actually discovered SCS through the tutoriaIs, and a lot of my cards which pre-date my SCS gallery and active presence here were made using earlier ones...triangle trifold, slider, magic card, waterfall, view-master....That was in the days of dial-up internet so I used to print them, which was great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2018, 05:38 AM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

I love the tutorials, both written and video, and use them often. I'm just not consistent uploading my projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2018, 06:46 AM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampscoutView Post
I love the tutorials, both written and video, and use them often. I'm just not consistent uploading my projects.

Would love to see them! Happy to know you try them out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2018, 02:22 PM   #22  

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

I do the tutorials when I am searching for a specific project to make (gift card holder, certain size box, etc.). I do upload my finished project to the gallery. I don't make a TON, though, because of time and because I don't always have a need for the finished project. I LOVE the tutorials here!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2018, 06:18 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I am the opposite. I love video tutorials that I can stop and rewind if I don't get it! But I also will not watch a video that is over 20-25 minutes. Definitely won't watch an hour long video. They post those Facebook live videos and spend half the time saying hello to people! I hide all of those in my subscriptions. But the tutorials here are never long ones. Love love love them! I'm itching for more so I guess maybe I should just go back and do some earlier ones I missed. I've done nearly every one for the past four years! Had to skip some because I didn't have the supplies . ( example, I don't have chibitronics so I couldn't make a light up card.) If I ever get those supplies, I'll revisit those tutorials.

AMEN SISTER!! Ive got 5-10 min TOPS...... no chit chat....just get right TO IT!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2018, 07:47 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

While I haven't been through every single tutorial, none of the pages I've looked at cover anything I want to make. I can count on one hand the number of crafting tutorials I've needed with fingers left over, and none of them have been from SCS.

Reasons include:
Techniques I already know and don't need instructions for.
Uses materials I don't like working with, i.e. plastic, rhinestones, embellishments, etc.
Uses materials I don't have and am not interested in buying.
End product isn't up to my standards of durability and/or utility.
Project is for a seasonal holiday I don't celebrate.

Last edited by Embri; 09-27-2018 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: line breaks did not post correctly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2018, 08:29 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

With a diverse community like ours it's a fun challenge to keep a rotating variety of tutorials that both meet our creative needs as a group and push us to try new things. Thanks for all the positive feedback!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2018, 09:07 PM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

I enjoy looking at the Tutorials..in fact I went through several the other day and earmarked a couple to try. I have done quite a few, but confess to not uploading them--I really don't know why. When I do do them, I get compliments from whoever I gift them to. I like both videos (as long as they are short...please!) and the printed kind. I can't stand videos where all they do is say Hi to everyone, or their cat jumps on the table or the sound is so bad, you can barely hear them. (This is YouTube I'm referring to...SCS videos are terrific!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2018, 06:24 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

I use them ( more of the coloring or technique ideas than the fancy folds ) but, I will tell you the best thing about the printed parts is the sizes printed out. ( I always print a tutorial I am going to try) and I always watch the video and the best part of the video's for me is the people who take the time to close caption them. Its just like anything else not perfect (so reading sizes on the print out is great) but, it really helps. some people are easier to understand than others. I love hearing what people sound like so sometimes I totally lose track of what they are saying and just listen to the voice so, having the print out makes it an oh yeah oh yeah thing after the fact when I try to do it.

but, I am also one of those people who for the next month and a half will be doing the stamp like a crazy chick for a craft show in November and I will probably not have time to try much new things when I look at what I know I have holes in my inventory that I "need" that people ask for at the show.

I am 98% cards and tags with some gift packaging and gift card holders I do not find fancy folds sell well for me because, people tend to be in a hurry and do not want to have the how to open something explained to them. (even if I have a sample out to be played with)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2018, 12:22 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I LOVE the SCS tutorials! and deeply appreciate the folk who take the time to put them together. I sure haven't seen every one, or even a fraction, but it's a fantastic resource.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2018, 03:50 PM   #29  
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
J... ... the free tutorials in the resource section here on SCS.

I should've added a box for "I do participate!" I clicked on other because I do participate.
I have! I do! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2018, 07:52 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
With a diverse community like ours it's a fun challenge to keep a rotating variety of tutorials that both meet our creative needs as a group and push us to try new things. Thanks for all the positive feedback!

((SSShhhhh.....Dini....don't tell anyone. I will watch any video you make. Seriously!! You get right to it, clear, organized, and simply the best!! I guess I'm kindof a stalker!! LOL. AND....stamping with you in person is totally on my bucket list!! ;)))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2018, 10:07 AM   #31  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I have gone back to making pretty much scrap pages so don't go hunting in the tutorials unless I need to find a technique I want to try on a page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2018, 10:57 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrellyshirleyView Post
((SSShhhhh.....Dini....don't tell anyone. I will watch any video you make. Seriously!! You get right to it, clear, organized, and simply the best!! I guess I'm kindof a stalker!! LOL. AND....stamping with you in person is totally on my bucket list!! ;)))
Thank you so much - and come on over! (Just don't come this week... I was at my mom's for 2 weeks and I'm still pretty disoriented - really hit the ground running today.)
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 02:17 AM   #33  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the tutorials but very rarely share my results. Not sure how too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 02:55 AM   #34  
Cardstock Collector

Default Tutorials

I can't wait to try the tutorials each week! I don't do all, but I like learning new techniques. Keep them coming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 03:09 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Like many of you, I use the tutorials to answer specific questions or to learn how to make a particular project. I have used a number of them on special card-cutting techniques: explosion, easel, waterfall, step fold and maybe shutter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 03:58 AM   #36  
Glitter Queen

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Not using tutorials

I do look at and sometimes use the tutorials that come in the weekly digest email. I also follow other bloggers, so I get inspiration from them as well. Time is a factor for me, as my crafting time, at present, is limited. The tutorials and video tutorials on SCS are wonderful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 04:13 AM   #37  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
It never dawned on me to upload to the technique gallery if doing a project from a tutorial, or one inspired by it. :shock:

I really enjoy the tutorials, but just don't upload cards. I think they are a great part of this website.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 04:18 AM   #38  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Basic instructions here:
How To Share Your Art In The Gallery - Splitcoaststampers

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnzimmerView Post
I use the tutorials but very rarely share my results. Not sure how too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 04:20 AM   #39  
Cardstock Collector

Red face Tutorials

i do use tutorial, just much less often than when I was newer to cardmaking. I read the SCS Weekly Inkling from top to bottom, and have gone back and viewed all (I think) tutoriasl from before I joined. They were very helpful when I wanted to try a new technique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 04:35 AM   #40  
Inking Addict

I have always used the tutorials in the past when I had a lot of time. I will look into the tutorial but since I know it is always there in the Resources page, I will come back months later to try it. Of course, I never upload my projects. The ones I have used often are the special fold cards.
Reply With Quote Likes