Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-07-2018, 07:35 PM   #1  
A-M
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tim Holtz Glass Media Mat

Does anyone here own the Glass Media Mat by Tim Holtz?
If anyone does.... is it worth having?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 03:47 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I waited seven months for my LSS to receive the Glass Media Mat and it was well worth the wait. I find that I even keep my work area cleaner because of the space it uses, I enjoy working on it. Hope others feel the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 07:02 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I wasn�t going to get one, didn�t quite get the point despite videos, and have a 1/4� thick acrylic desk top protector cut to cover the entire desk. (Tempered glass may have been better, but I didn�t love the coldness or clanginess when placing hard objects on it.)

But JoAnn had them for $24.00 so I jumped. The jury is still out since I haven�t had it for very long. I wondered about stamping on such a hard surface since I stamped on a Ranger craft mat taped to a large self healing cutting mat which was my work surface - but so far so good, and I use a platform for major stamping.

I did enjoy easy clean-up after a 2-3 hour messy alcohol ink backgrounds session yesterday. While the Yupo paper was in a 9x12 tray to contain a lot of mess, alcohol ink got on the glass mat and on the bottles which were on the mat.

As for Tim�s proclamation that the mat stops supply encroachment, nah. My supplies just hop up on the mat to get closer to me. But it would help people with less affectionate supplies. ;)

The white mat is kept on the clear piece it came on within grabbing distance, but hasn�t been used yet. I do want the ruler, which can be used like how I use a T-ruler, but am going to wait because some - not all - in early batches have apparently been a bit problematic.

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 09-08-2018 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: clarification about acrylic protector
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 08:35 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Yeah it worked to keep down the encroachment for a little while and then I went right back to stuff all over the place. Makes me laugh that I even believed that could work. I’m pretty sold on mine but I didn’t have anything but a taped down craft mat previously so this was a big improvement. The cleanability and the grid are the features I like the most.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 10:28 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the mat and I like it, but...........below are my personal observations/experiences, YMMV:

The things I like:
Solid flat surface (I work on my dining room table and previously had to work around the line where the tabletop opens up)

Easy clean up
(Intentionally) smeared/scribbled ink doesn't pool up
Sponging is a dream

The things I don't like:
Didn't help with the encroachment (I think its us that need to change not our surroundings, lol)
I can't use mine for straight lines when lining things up or cutting (public service announcement below)

Historically, for whatever reason, I can't cut a straight line even using a paper cutter**. I noticed my cuts weren't coming out straight even with the tool and discovered the tool was not straight. I e-mailed Tonic with pictures. They sent me a link to a video to fix it myself. In the video, Tim is doing a demo somewhere and before he starts mentions this issue, saying this is because the tool and the mat are made in different factories so sometimes they don't line up with each other. I was taught in school that a straight line was a straight line no matter where in the world it was but, ooooookay. Tim goes on to say when this happens you need to simply loosen the screws on the base, line your tool up with the lines on YOUR mat and then tighten the screws. So, I tried it. The screws were so tight I had to get my brother-in-law to loosen them and he had a tough time doing it and stripped the heads in the process. When I tried to line it up with the mat, because the part with the screws hangs hangs off the mat, when pressing down to try to re-tighten the screws the tool shifts all over the place as its being held down with one hand while the other pressing down with the screwdriver. I eventually got them tighten but the tool was right back where it started. The issue is there's no wiggle room to adjust the screws like Tim said. The screw holes are drilled up and down, not side to side so there's no way to realign the pieces, they simply go right back to where all the drilled bits fit together. My brother-in-law suggested I also check the lines on the grid of the mat. I did and found they too were off a bit. So for me, using the mat for measuring, cutting, lining-up is a bust. I e-mailed Tonic again, provided pictures of the now stripped screws and off measurements of the mat and haven't received a reply. This was a couple of weeks ago and at this point I don't expect to hear from them. Between the platform fiasco where people were getting wonky plates and this, I have to say I've lost some respect for them and their products. Two straight lines don't match up because they were made in different places?? I researched this this issue online and found Beth is right, I'm not the only person with this problem which is probably why Tim is telling people how to fix straight lines during his demos. Its a shame Tonic is giving people this as their solution instead of standing by their product.

So, my overall opinion of the mat is, eh. If I knew I wouldn't be able to line things up and cut straight line I wouldn't have bought it. Will I still use it, yes, for all the things I like about it above.

**When Joann had a sale recently I invested in the Fiskars Mixed Media ProCision Trimmer. LOVE it. Straight line after straight line. The first time I used it I heard Angels signing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 11:03 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Agree about the ruler, the screws were super tight and after loosening and trying to change the alignment I gave up. Mine is about a 32nd inch off which can make a difference. I’m not using it much. I like the printed grid on the mat but the ruler is not any better than my also slightly off plastic T-square.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

I�m happy with the mat. Like being able to cut with a hobby blade on it, really enjoy having the white palette built in and of course, the easy clean up. I just mixed color into embossing paste and was able to wipe it up so easily when done. I�m also find it easier to blend ink onto my projects.
My computer is at the same desk where I craft and I�ve noticed that I can get away with using my mouse on the white �rea (when the cover is on, not without the cover). Handy when I just want to look something up real quick.
So for me, it�s a win!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 06:43 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Here's another thread: Where is the TH new media mat? - Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 09:03 PM   #9  
A-M
Rubber Obsessor

Thankyou for all the replies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2018, 06:17 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn�t tempted to purchase one, only because my mat works so well for me. I�ve a large tempered glass thin LED light mat that�s fabulous. My option was costly, but no regrets. The new Tim Holtz mat looks like it would be a great buy for most, I don�t think I�ve read any bad reviews on it.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2018, 06:45 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Oooh, that LED light mat sure looks neat!

I was seriously thinking about getting the TH media mat, but it would have reduced my free work surface from what I already had, and the palette area wasn't something I would often need. Instead, my plan was to shop thrift stores and garage sales to find a cheap table that had a removable tempered and beveled edge glass top. About the same time I noticed a patio table we had that was not looking very attractive with its rusted legs. Perfect! The legs were thrown out, and I was left with a 24" square thick glass top. I placed it over my large grid self-healing mat; so I've ended up with a much larger work area than the TH media mat provides. One can never have too much work space! (Free wasn't bad either.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Free is the bomb, and shopping at home even better!

I was nervous about size too, but I haven’t used the white mat (it’s removable) and the glass is 24” across (maybe?). Messy is to my sides, not reaching way in front of me (short arms) so works well. Lines are nice but I forget about them.

BTW, if anyone wants all glass all the time, glass shops can cut 1/4” (or whatever you want - that’s just what two shops recommended) tempered glass for a table or desk. But it isn’t free. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

I love my glass mat. DH wasn't too thrilled that I bought it since my desk already has a glass top. I had a craft mat over that top and I couldn't bring myself to do messy stuff on just the glass, it just felt weird. I have no issue doing all kinds of messy things with the TH glass mat however I think the grid lines are excellent and I love the thickness of it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2018, 06:15 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I think TH must have been trying sales psychology on us. My stuff spills off mat for sure.
As a matter of fact, several days ago I put the glass mat away for awhile. I like a completely smooth work surface and the mat edges were getting in the way.
I’ll have a use for it elsewhere.
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2018, 04:56 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

He says the mat acts as a little barrier that helps keep stuff on the table from jumping up onto the mat and crowding us. ;) As if.

Last edited by bjeans; 09-18-2018 at 05:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2018, 05:42 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

After going through two silcone craft mats which became creased, cut, stained and curled up around the edges, I purchased the product about a month ago. I'm very pleased with the glass mat for all the reason stated in previous posts by others.
Clean up is easy, stands up to all my mediums and cutting tools.
I would not use it as a base for my BigShot though or hammer any thing on it to prevent cracks or shattering.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2018, 05:56 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

I hated that edge curl-up of silicone mats, so wrapped them around a self healing cutting mat and taped the edges down with painters tape. The lines could be faintly seen. (An old Jennifer McGuire hint.) At an LSS, craft mats for students are attached to chipboard or cardboard.

Very OT Funny you mentioned hammering. For safety, if cracked, tempered glass breaks into tons of rough edged pieces, some attached to each other, instead of shards. A piece can be covered with a cloth and a corner hammered or pliers used to break an edge, and it all collapses into a heap. Fusing pieces in a kiln onto a glass base makes a dish that looks like crystal with lines all through it. Begging for mis-cut pieces at glass shops was common. But I prefer paper now!

Last edited by bjeans; 09-18-2018 at 06:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2018, 01:48 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Fifi and Maryelana. I don't understand what you are cutting on the glass mat. Mine didn't come with a ruler or any indication that the mat was to be used for cutting.
I'm glad you found a good cutter...I think Fiskars are the best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2018, 02:09 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

I’m not cutting anything on mine. I have some mysterious scratches on it so I’m not taking any chances by cutting on it. Supposedly you can cut on it with a rotary cutter according to videos I watched. The ruler was an add on that I bought separately. I was hoping to use it like a T-square but the lip of the ruler is a little off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2018, 02:12 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
Fifi and Maryelana. I don't understand what you are cutting on the glass mat. Mine didn't come with a ruler or any indication that the mat was to be used for cutting.

The edge & scraper are separate accessories. Tonic Studios Tim Holtz Media Tool Set

Tim shows it them in this video:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2018, 03:52 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post

Like Mary, I was trying to use the tool like a T-square. I was cutting just about anything 'cutable' on there (paper, ribbon, washi, etc.) until I realized it was the tools and not me making the crooked lines. I think I can still use the lines on the mat to line things up like a sentiment, the misalignment shouldn't be that noticeable for something small like that, but I definitely can't use the tool with the mat so that thing is useless. At least I LOVE the scraper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2018, 04:12 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

I sure hope they fix the tool - that was one of the selling points. Is the scraper very different from the Ranger scraper? We were given one in my very first stamp class. It looks like the Tonic might be a little more ergonomic, which could be nice for my not-perfect hand. But I haven’t really used it. What do you use it for?

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2018, 05:35 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

Thanks for sharing the info on the tool. I was hoping get one and use it like a T also...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #24  
Crimping Master

I’d like to know what the scraper is used for also, cleaning up dried messes like acrylic paint maybe? I have it but I stuck it in a drawer and forgot about it. I can’t think of messes I make that need scrapping but I might be missing a good use for this tool.

I agree about fixing the ruler. I had pinned my hopes on that ruler being a handy T-square.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

I'm sorry, I don't have the Ranger scrapper so I can't compare them.

I use the Tonic Scrapper for...............scrapping! Yes, Beth, its ergonomic; its a nice size and has weight to it which is what I like the most, I'm not afraid to use it. Mary, I use it to scrape up glue, paint and such. I used to use an old credit card which would get caught on the gunk and flip around in my hand. I have problems with my hands and wrists so that was always awkward. The Tonic has a scrapper on multiple sides so you can use it wide or narrow. It glides nicely across the media mat. In a pinch, I've also used it to separate paper from my ScanNCut mat when I couldn't find the spatula and when I knocked over an open bottle of embossing powder I used it to scrape all the powder into a neat, clean pile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2018, 08:56 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

I’ll have to keep my scraper in view to remember to use it. I don’t use much acrylic paint but dried glue happens. I have used an old credit card to spread refill ink on my versamark pad because it has a straight rather than a rounded edge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2018, 10:22 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

I emailed Tonic and asked if they were going to fix the issue with the T-edge down the road and got the same "made by two different manufacturers" and "here's a video of how to adjust it" response, even though I had written that some people reported that the adjustment didn't work. (I gather it may have for at least some others.)

I responded that something is either square or not, regardless of manufacturer, and that I could take my 99 cent* plastic T-ruler and put it at the top or side of the glass mat and even it was square/perpendicular to the lines on the mat, and that Tonic's response insulted buyers' intelligence.
The plastic T-ruler is thin and shifts easily, so not a good solution. Then I saw this, and have to admit am curious, though the 12" is spendy:

Incra T-RULE12 12-Inch Precision Marking T-Rule - Construction Rulers - Amazon.com

* still missing the cent sign on the keyboard after all these years (with apologies to Paul Simon, who we just saw in concert). ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2018, 10:40 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I emailed Tonic and asked if they were going to fix the issue with the T-edge down the road and got the same "made by two different manufacturers" and "here's a video of how to adjust it" response, even though I had written that some people reported that the adjustment didn't work. (I gather it may have for at least some others.)

I responded that something is either square or not, regardless of manufacturer, and that I could take my 99 cent* plastic T-ruler and put it at the top or side of the glass mat and even it was square/perpendicular to the lines on the mat, and that Tonic's response insulted buyers' intelligence.
The plastic T-ruler is thin and shifts easily, so not a good solution. Then I saw this, and have to admit am curious, though the 12" is spendy:

Incra T-RULE12 12-Inch Precision Marking T-Rule - Construction Rulers - Amazon.com

* still missing the cent sign on the keyboard after all these years (with apologies to Paul Simon, who we just saw in concert). ;)
Wow. That is a SERIOUS T-Rule, lol. Like the marking holes.

Thank you for checking with Tonic on the (not so) straight-edge tool and for your reply to them. I can't believe they think people are that dumb but as long as they have your money and gave you a 'fix' for the problem, I guess they feel they're off the hook. Its sad to seem them turning into WeRMemoryKeepers (even before the American Crafts takeover). I will be as skeptical in buying tools from them in the future as I am with WRMK.

I'm personally not a Paul Simon fan but I hope you enjoyed the show!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2018, 10:48 AM   #29  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I�m glad Tonic got to hear that. Well said. Even if you try to adjust it, it is still a mess once it�s tightened up again. Maybe a vice is needed. After a couple tries the screws wear out the threads in the plastic so you only have one or two shots at a correction. I think the 6� Precision T-Rule would solve the problem for my cardmaking. Wonder if you can hang that edge over the side of the glass mat so they can work together. If so it seems worthy of going high on my wishlist. Lining up stuff is a hard task for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2018, 10:49 AM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

The same person (Victor) helped with my Tim platform and not only sent a new one, but sent the wrong one at first and then didn’t have me return it. So sometimes they’re excellent. This was just disappointing.

But reps (one rep?) have been told to respond a certain canned cut-and-paste way.

OT The Paul Simon apology referred to “Still Crazy After All These Years” (still missing the cent sign after all these years), and yes, thanks, a wonderful even teary concert on his final tour - he’s 76. The first concert I went to with a boyfriend was Simon & Garfunkel when I was 15, still listening after all these years...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2018, 10:58 AM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
I�m glad Tonic got to hear that. Well said. Even if you try to adjust it, it is still a mess once it�s tightened up again. Maybe a vice is needed. After a couple tries the screws wear out the threads in the plastic so you only have one or two shots at a correction. I think the 6� Precision T-Rule would solve the problem for my cardmaking. Wonder if you can hang that edge over the side of the glass mat so they can work together. If so it seems worthy of going high on my wishlist. Lining up stuff is a hard task for me.

Yes, hoping/wondering if it could hang off the edge.

If I get one I might get the 12, otherwise forced to line up stuff up toward the top or far left side of the mat.

Or I might buy the Tonic Edge and return it if it doesn�t work. It�s about $16 on Amazon Prime. Only 5 reviews (a sixth is a complaint about the scraper), with 3 complaining the Edge isn�t straight.

One peron�s theory is there isn�t enough of a lip to keep it straight. If that�s the case, that�s similar to my 99 center T-ruler. I�ve even wondered if I could adhere something to the bottom of the �T� so it would work, but if it wasn�t absolutely even with the edge of the plastic it wouldn�t be straight on the mat either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2018, 11:06 AM   #32  
Gallery Gazer

For lining up, a 99 cent plastic T-ruler works well. (The mega one I just posted might be too thick at that t-edge if just using with a card, since it’s meant to slide along something - but could be wrong.)

A combo of Misti Creative Corners in either the Tim platform or Misti works well too.

I was just hoping for the integrated, quick-n-easy way Tim demo’d the Edge with the mat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2018, 11:49 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

The same person (Victor) helped with my Tim platform and not only sent a new one, but sent the wrong one at first and then didn�t have me return it. So sometimes they�re excellent. This was just disappointing.

But reps (one rep?) have been told to respond a certain canned cut-and-paste way.

OT The Paul Simon apology referred to �Still Crazy After All These Years� (still missing the cent sign after all these years), and yes, thanks, a wonderful even teary concert on his final tour - he�s 76. The first concert I went to with a boyfriend was Simon & Garfunkel when I was 15, still listening after all these years...

� Not sure how to do it on a phone or tablet but on computer you use the number pad - Num Lock on, then hold ALT key & type 0162.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2018, 11:59 AM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamvicsView Post
� Not sure how to do it on a phone or tablet but on computer you use the number pad - Num Lock on, then hold ALT key & type 0162.

So OT.

Ha! The important things in life. I�m on an iPad 90% of the time using �real� keyboard, but you reminded me to look at the iPad keyboard/symbols... and a million and one but not that. But googled it. Doing a long press on the $ sign on the iPad keyboard brings up a number of options, including �. So thank you.

It means switching from a real keyboard to the iPad one, but for a real cent sign, worth it.

➿�️🎶🆒🌀💯🛅
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2018, 12:17 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts

Vic, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT TIP! Can you tell I'm excited? lol I never knew that. (bjeans, I had gotten to the point where I thought I must have been imagining things when I thought there used to be a cent sign on the keyboard.) It really will come in handy for me. There are times when I'm explaining to someone (usually escrow) why they are out of balance a few cents. It will be nice to use the �
symbol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts

Now to go get my iPad and see if the $ sign thing works for me as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2018, 12:27 PM   #37  
Gallery Gazer

OT but makes ���
Since the � sign no longer appears on keyboards, do young people know what it is?

BTW, I have a refurbished IBM selectric and it is on there, so not your imagination Pam!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2018, 09:42 AM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
I’m glad Tonic got to hear that. Well said. Even if you try to adjust it, it is still a mess once it’s tightened up again. Maybe a vice is needed. After a couple tries the screws wear out the threads in the plastic so you only have one or two shots at a correction. I think the 6” Precision T-Rule would solve the problem for my cardmaking. Wonder if you can hang that edge over the side of the glass mat so they can work together. If so it seems worthy of going high on my wishlist. Lining up stuff is a hard task for me.
Mary, make sure the lines on your mat are straight before you invest in that T-rule. My lines are slightly off from the bottom to the top. This way you won't waste money on the T-Rule if your's are off, as well.

Last edited by fifiwesfan; 09-24-2018 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: Finished my thought!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2018, 09:53 AM   #39  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by fifiwesfanView Post
Mary, make sure the lines on your mat are straight before you invest in that T-rule. My lines are slightly off from the bottom to the top. This way you won't waste money on the T-Rule if your's are off, as well.
I�m so trusting. Never thought about lines being off on the mat itself. Makes sense. It was also mentioned that the lip on that TH ruler is not wide like most T-rulers with the big wings. I noticed that also and it makes the whole thing kind of unstable whether it�s lining up well or not. I guess the creative corners set will be my go to for lining up sentiments for the near future.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2018, 10:08 AM   #40  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Get this....my LSS, who does not own a computer, says some people are telling her you can hammer on the glass mat! Even the instructions on the sales sites tell you NOT to hammer on it! I wonder if the person that told her tried it? Apparently not if its still in one piece! As for the extra tools, I was tempted to get one last time I was out, but now I'm glad I didn't! � oh my gosh! Holding the dollar sign DOES bring up other characters! Thanks for that tip!
Reply With Quote Likes