Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-24-2018, 06:33 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Tiny glue applicator struggles

Yesterday was a frustrating day in the craft room. I have several bottles of TH mat medium and collage glue in bottles with the tiny tips added as widely recommended. I have the capped kind and the open kind that you stick a pin in to seal. I have decided that I heed to skip the pins because they have not worked well. One I had to remove with a pliers. I am not sure if it stuck in the glue or corroded in the bottle. I have heard of using hang tag plastic from clothing purchases and so that is one option.

My biggest problem is it being nearly impossible to get any of the glue products out of the bottle. I am not sure what I have done incorrectly, but obviously I am doing something wrong since I have 4 bottles and none of them are working. Any suggestions?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2018, 10:09 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I wish I had a suggestion, but I have similar issues. I have destroyed more than one pin trying to get it in or out of the bottle. I seem to have a bit better luck with regular white glues, but the thin, clear glue like Stampin' Up!'s fine tip glue defeats me on all fronts. Will be interested to see ideas others have.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Kathyvsh22 (11-18-2023)
Old 07-25-2018, 04:56 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

I'm not happy you are having issues too, but I am happy that it isn't just something I am doing. I am eager to see if anyone has solutions. I have put out a tiny puddle and used the tiny makeup applicators, but being able to use the glue straight from the bottle would be so much better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2018, 05:40 AM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently got into this and have the same problem - I was thinking that maybe because this is completely new to me and I couldn't understand why it is not working well....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2018, 05:31 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I am here to solve all your liquid glue problems! What I've found works great with Glossy Accents, Ranger Multi Medium, Tim Holtz Collage Medium - basically anything you want to throw at it.

There are 3 things you need to get:

1. 16-gauge blunt needles - get the 0.5" length (minimum order 50 per bag)
16 Gauge Jensen Global Blunt Luer lock Needles

2. Scabbard covers for 16-gauge needles
JG16-SCX 16 Gauge Scabbard (Cover) for 16 gauge standard needles. 50 per bag

3. 2-oz bottles Boston Round Bottles with the Luer Lock cap
JG2.0BC Jensen Global 2 oz Boston Round Bottle W/ Luer Lock Cap 10 per bag

Oh, and maybe a 4th: someone to share the expense and the loot. The total for everything is $31 plus approx $7 shipping.

I have used these for 6 months now, and not once had a clogged needle. The needles used in those Fineline bottles or the special caps are too narrow or skinny for the adhesive to come through easily. The 16-gauge are perfect. The above bottles are much easier to squeeze, plus you don't need to squeeze as hard because of the larger needle. I have problems with my hands and this setup has been a lifesaver for me. The scabbards fit snugly over the needles to prevent clogs and the glue from drying out.

Hope I've been of some help, and that if you order these, that you're as happy with them as I am.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2018, 11:51 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Funny. Was thinking about these exact same frustrations tonight as I was working on a mini album.

Matte medium-so hard to get out. Pin gets stuck.

Fine tip glue from Stampin Up - so hard to replace the needle all the time and runny - globs all over.

Tombow - I know people love it- I can either never get it out or it runs everywhere.

Tried out a new adhesive today. Was at a craft show in the USA and picked one up to try. Gina K connect glue tube. It is amazing! Comes out easily. Dries clear. Gives time to wiggle your paper but also sticks strongly and things weren�t lifting up on me. Easy to control where and how much comes out. Did not get plugged up. Not too thick and not too runny. The only problem is it comes in small tubes 1/2 oz and it�s $6 US per tube. But man it works great. I used the whole tube up already.

I suspect the Lawn fawn glue tube is similar but have not tried it.

Does anyone know what type of glue this is? I would love to get a slightly larger container.

Last edited by bencer99; 07-25-2018 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2018, 04:36 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

THANK YOU!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
I am here to solve all your liquid glue problems! What I've found works great with Glossy Accents, Ranger Multi Medium, Tim Holtz Collage Medium - basically anything you want to throw at it.

Oh, and maybe a 4th: someone to share the expense and the loot. The total for everything is $31 plus approx $7 shipping.

I have used these for 6 months now, and not once had a clogged needle. The needles used in those Fineline bottles or the special caps are too narrow or skinny for the adhesive to come through easily. The 16-gauge are perfect. The above bottles are much easier to squeeze, plus you don't need to squeeze as hard because of the larger needle. I have problems with my hands and this setup has been a lifesaver for me. The scabbards fit snugly over the needles to prevent clogs and the glue from drying out.

Hope I've been of some help, and that if you order these, that you're as happy with them as I am.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2018, 02:55 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I am mighty! I just squeezed a clogged. small bottle of Nouvo Drops and it exploded. Who knew I was that strong?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2018, 09:48 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Annie, you're welcome. So glad I could be of help.

Another glue I use in these bottles is Scrappy Glue. It's thinner, so it comes out very easily. It doesn't warp your paper like some thin glues do, plus it dries very quickly. It's white and dries clear. You have to snip off the tip of the bottle and no matter how careful you are, the glue pours out. So I tried it in the setup mentioned above and it works perfectly; barely squeeze and it comes out perfectly.

Google is at it again; this link goes to Scrapbook.com.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...%26cmp%3DGSHOP
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2018, 05:29 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

More thoughts on glue....

The Quickie glue pen is great for very precise application of glue - to thin die cuts, tiny areas. It�s like a ball point pen tip applicator. Glue works well too.

I tried a new to me glue from my local craft shop. Art Institutue glue. It comes in a larger bottle with a tube on the end. You can put on a precision applicator (fine metal tip with a pin) and it worked great. Gave me a little wiggle room and bonded very securely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2018, 06:01 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I just purchased some blunt tip needles with syringes after watching a YouTube video. I like the bottles suggested above as you can also get caps for the needle tips. I was looking for silicone caps for the needle tips I purchased but cannot find a source.

I wasn’t sure of the needle gauge so bought the one with a selection of sizes. I wish I had seen this thread before I made my purchase. I like the .5 needle length better. I’m going to have to cut mine so they are a bit shorter.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2018, 06:38 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Do you like the syringes or would you only prefer the bottles for the caps? I've been looking on EBay and you can purchase 6 syringes, with 16 g and 1" needles, with six each of two kinds of caps, for $11.20. I would think a syringe might be easier to fill??? I don't know if the syringe makes it easier or more difficult to dispense the glue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2018, 07:13 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Okay, stupid question time: If using the recommended products above (16 gauge needles, Boston Round Bottles, etc.), does that mean you transfer your newly purchased glue to another bottle, which will result in wasted glue?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2018, 07:19 AM   #14  
Glitter Queen

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which glue to use

I use Elmer's School Glue in my fine tip bottle applicator. The pin does not stick in the bottle. The glue dries clear and does not leave smudges on my card. I've tried lots of glues and this one is THE best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2018, 08:05 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just recently got the syringes that Koren Wiskman sells in her Etsy shop. I've been binge watching her videos lately and found out about the syringes that way. So far I love them!! And if you order the bundle pack, they come with little silicon "caps". She said in her video about them, she's been using them for a year (I think) and has had no issues at all!!
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
mgdietzel (01-21-2024)
Old 08-01-2018, 08:48 AM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I noticed that McGuire shifted awhile ago to the Gink K glue things. But they are too expensive for me. I didnt even realize they are only 1/2 oz. Now for sure too much!

I have never had luck with the various needle tips. So I just make a little blob on scrap and use the micro brushes, a toothpick or my fav tool-an opened up paperclip.
(which I also stick in bottles to keep them open. I can twist them in place before pulling out and that seems to help but they are too big for some unless you are willing to stretch the opening)

I cant seem to get the links open Linda. What is the company I want to go to? I can probably drill down from there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2018, 11:59 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

I am from Canada and was going to order the 3 products above - $31.00. But, the shipping was $46! There was an option for $25 but that is still way too much. I also looked into the ones from Koren Wiskman as that is where I learned about the syringes as well but her shipping to Canada was $13.

I think if you are using the syringe you need the .5 needle tip. Some are longer and I think those are a bit awkward to use. I was going to try the bottle to compare but will have to keep looking for something comparable in Canada.

I think the benefit of using a syringe (or bottle) is that you can buy the larger tubs of adhesive like the multi-medium matte that comes in a tub vs the bottle.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2018, 12:17 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
Do you like the syringes or would you only prefer the bottles for the caps? I've been looking on EBay and you can purchase 6 syringes, with 16 g and 1" needles, with six each of two kinds of caps, for $11.20. I would think a syringe might be easier to fill??? I don't know if the syringe makes it easier or more difficult to dispense the glue.

I don�t have the bottles shown above and I just tried the syringe today. The syringe tip I used was 18 guage and 1 inch long. I found it a bit awkward which was why I was going to order the tips and caps mentioned above. I think the .5 inch length would work way better. I figured if I was ordering the tips/caps I may as well order the bottles. Then saw the shipping to Canada and deleted it all from my cart :(

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2018, 01:34 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did that with gold glitter glue (not stickles). Was putting names on a Christmas stocking at work and they couldn't get it to work. So I "showed" them how. Gold Glitter Glue EVERYWHERE including all over me ...who knew I was so strong...lol.
Quote:

Originally Posted by loyceView Post
I am mighty! I just squeezed a clogged. small bottle of Nouvo Drops and it exploded. Who knew I was that strong?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Pro tip for small bottles of glue with needle nose/small openings: store upside down. Seriously, this is the thing that keeps mine from clogging, and keeps my multi matte medium from being a pain in the butt. Doesn't matter how long it has been since I've used it, it always flows nicely out the end with just a small squeeze. I store my green tombow glue this way as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2018, 02:47 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbpView Post
Then saw the shipping to Canada and deleted it all from my cart :(

This happens to me so often, I've come to expect it, sadly. I've got a couple of bottles on order from China though with metal tips, hopefully they'll work out. As much as I love my bingo dauber glue bottle it's not the best for applying tiny amounts to precise areas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2018, 05:29 PM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 07-25-2018, 06:31 PM post uncbballfan

Today I read about glue problems and I have the same issue as many others. I read uncbbalifan post I decided to try these tips etc. I went online and discovered a company whereby I could get FREE samples of these tips, covers, and bottles. I filled out a form for Jensen Global this morning told them what I wanted to use them for and that I would pass on this information to other crafters. Lo and Behold by this afternoon they sent me an itemized invoice, no charge, and have mailed (no charge) these items out today by UPS.

I thank uncbbalifan for helping others find an easier way to deal with a frustrating problem glue can be. So am eagerly waiting delivery. I hope that everyone can save some money and this is just one company I found. There could be more, but I have to say Jensen Global an their speedy service is remarkable I am impressed that they are spending money to get the product to someone who paid nothing. Our hobby is an expensive one and to try products without investing is unique and wonderful. For me, I can try them and not worry about losing $31 every penny counts.
I hope this works for others, again thanks to uncbbalifan for discovering like Christopher Columbus, a new rode to glue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2018, 10:25 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post

I've yet to go down the bottle and fine tip route (currently I do as wavejumper, very low-tech). I did find those bottles and tips from a UK supplier at a good price but high carriage, so I'll stay low-tech for a while yet. But I do have PinFlair glue which dispenses from a sytinge (without an added tip) and I find it a very easy way to apply the glue. However I suspect that once you add a fine tip, it will require more pressure to dispense. I doubt if there would be much difference between the two in terms of ease of filling, certainly the syringe is easy to fill but the PinFlair tube comes with a key to help you roll it down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2018, 11:56 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by passionforpaperView Post
Okay, stupid question time: If using the recommended products above (16 gauge needles, Boston Round Bottles, etc.), does that mean you transfer your newly purchased glue to another bottle, which will result in wasted glue?

Considering the fact that I was unable to use the glue at all before I found the above system, I don't consider any of the glue wasted. Plus there is little waste to start with. The Ranger MM Matte and TH Collage mediums come in a small tub, so I can scrape almost all of the glue out of those containers. No waste at all with the Scrappy glue because it is so thin. And after I empty the Glossy Accents , I turn the bottle upside down for a couple of days and drain most of the rest that way.

Sorry the shipping was so high to Canada!

And the company I linked to is Howard Electronics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2018, 05:02 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

Thank you for the many wonderful tips. Saberlove, please come back and share your experiences after your free product arrives.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2018, 12:51 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

I just checked Jensen Global's site, and I'm pretty sure they have a distributor in Canada. I checked the stats on the bottles, the needles and scabbards. The products they offer are exactly the same as the ones I got from Howard Electronics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2018, 06:51 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

One tip I read somewhere is to tap the glue bottle several times on your table when finished. It is suppose to help keep the tip cleaner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2018, 07:05 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

My local craft store highly recommended the Nuvo Deluxe Adhesive Clear Drying Glue and so far so good - it's only clogged once and it was easy to clear with a pin. I find it easy to squeeze out tiny drops for intricate die cuts (easier than Mono Multi that I used before).

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2018, 11:46 AM   #29  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I think I have tried almost every glue and glue dispensers available. I use to use a Fineline bottle with an 18 gauge tip. It was very frustrating to get the glue out. I think if I had gotten a smaller gauge tip maybe I would have had better luck. I have started to use Nuvo Deluxe adhesive. I like the glue but not the bottle. The fine tip is not so fine and it broke off. I contacted Tonic Studios and they graciously sent me a new bottle. I have put some of it into a small round bottle with a stainless steel cap and tip. I figured out that if I buy dressmakers stainless steel needles, they will not tarnish and are quite long so they reach inside the cap and come out nicely as does the glue. Although a lot of people didn't like them, I have had no problem with them! Robot Check
I also like to use Aleen's Fast Grab tacky glue. Although the tip isn't tiny, I feel that the glue is thick enough that I can make small dots on smaller objets and they will hold really well. I get the bottle that sits upside down. Robot Check
This glue is also perfect for adhering thick items. A little goes a long way! I have tried Tombow Multi liquid glue but I always had an issue with it turning yellow. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2018, 12:54 PM   #30  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another option is to buy the empty glue bottles seemingly identical to those the Connect glue comes in if you like how that tip delivers glue. I bought the empty bottles at the Impress stamp store in WA and they sell them online. They are $6. apiece which I thought was a little pricey but I fill them over and over with my favorite white glue without any problems.

Glue bottles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2018, 05:39 PM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I may have missed this, but I use the needle in sleeve type tip on the small Ranger Multi Medium Matte and Glossy Accents bottles. I also get larger ones for the larger bottles. These are the ones where a ‘needle’ fits down into a ‘sleeve” on the bottle. Ellen Hutson sells them, as does Stamplistic (have to call them - couldn’t find on their website) and some other companies. Scraperfect sells a very similar type that I also have.

The small one from Ellen Hutson:
Ranger Fine Tip Applicators 0.5 oz. (Gray) - Ellen Hutson LLC

And Scraperfect’s version, which I got on Amazon, I think:
No-Clog Writing Caps ? ScraPerfect

To make sure the needle and sleeve doesn’t stick together if they just sit for a long time, after using I dab a tiny bit of stamp cleaner on the needle and without wiping it off just close the bottle up. If I use at a class I may not get to it for a day or two but haven’t had any problems.

I just open Scraperfect’s stamp cleaner and touch the needle with the suction tube from the cleaner bottle. I haven’t tried it with my usual Hero Arts/Stewart stamp cleaner.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2018, 05:58 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

Love the suggestion of wiping the needle with a tiny bit of stamp cleaner - I'm definitely going to try that! Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I may have missed this, but I use the needle in sleeve type tip on the small Ranger Multi Medium Matte and Glossy Accents bottles. I also get larger ones for the larger bottles. These are the ones where a �needle� fits down into a �sleeve� on the bottle. Ellen Hutson sells them, as does Stamplistic (have to call them - couldn�t find on their website) and some other companies. Scraperfect sells a very similar type that I also have.

The small one from Ellen Hutson:
Ranger Fine Tip Applicators 0.5 oz. (Gray) - Ellen Hutson LLC

And Scraperfect�s version, which I got on Amazon, I think:
No-Clog Writing Caps ? ScraPerfect

To make sure the needle and sleeve doesn�t stick together if they just sit for a long time, after using I dab a tiny bit of stamp cleaner on the needle and without wiping it off just close the bottle up. If I use at a class I may not get to it for a day or two but haven�t had any problems.

I just open Scraperfect�s stamp cleaner and touch the needle with the suction tube from the cleaner bottle. I haven�t tried it with my usual Hero Arts/Stewart stamp cleaner.

Beth

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
Love the suggestion of wiping the needle with a tiny bit of stamp cleaner - I'm definitely going to try that! Thank you!

I just open the stamp cleaner bottle and put two drops onto the needle with the tube/straw piece - just barely touching it - and don’t wipe it off. They have full cleaning instructions on Stamperfect including how to change the tip - you get an extra one.

I think the Ranger ones and theirs are almost the same, but the Stamperfect one’s needle feels loose - it’s attached at the top of the cap like a pendulum is attached? So it took me a bit to get used to inserting it (closing it), but by resting against my finger it’s easy now.

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 08-05-2018 at 06:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #34  
Cardstock Collector

Do you use the clear Elmers or the white glue Elmers ?
Thanks Lyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2018, 07:43 PM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

I use regular Aleene's Tacky Glue for most of my projects rather than Elmers, which is a white PVA.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2018, 06:13 AM   #36  
Glitter Queen

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the white Elmer's School Glue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2018, 12:14 PM   #37  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you Cataluna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 05:44 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bencer99View Post
More thoughts on glue....

The Quickie glue pen is great for very precise application of glue - to thin die cuts, tiny areas. It�s like a ball point pen tip applicator. Glue works well too.

I tried a new to me glue from my local craft shop. Art Institutue glue. It comes in a larger bottle with a tube on the end. You can put on a precision applicator (fine metal tip with a pin) and it worked great. Gave me a little wiggle room and bonded very securely.

I'm glad I read through before answering, as this is what I was going to suggest. I love how fine the glue comes out, it is not messy and really sticks when dry. I wriggle the pin around a bit before I take it out, and rarely have trouble. I also like Liquid Stitch, but the opening is much bigger and there is always a plug to get out before using.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2018, 06:39 PM   #39  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post

I agree, and this works! In addition to the my 16 and 18 gauge blunt tip needles, I use a 10cc syringe to keep my needle tip cleared. It�s super quick to remove and flush the needle tip out with a syringe full of air when finished for the day. I also fill the syringe with hot water or soapy water and clean if I�ve been too lazy to do this at the end of the day.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2018, 07:37 AM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Tiny glue applicator struggles

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketdivaView Post
One tip I read somewhere is to tap the glue bottle several times on your table when finished. It is suppose to help keep the tip cleaner.

It does help, because since I started doing that with my Tombow for example less clogging. Now that I have said it....it won’t ha

There are certain pens like Wink of Stella that you are supposed to store tip down
I also store my Micron pens this way

Are you not supposed to store SU upside down as well to keep ink on top of pad? I keep all ink pads this way.

Last edited by canada goose; 09-10-2018 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: additional information
Reply With Quote Likes