Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-31-2018, 05:27 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Evolution of stamping

I've been following the thread regarding the pricing of stamps and dies and such, and it brought to mind thoughts that I've had for a while now...

I find the whole evolution of this hobby/craft/art to be completely fascinating. Being old enough to have watched from the inception, so to speak, I can see definite "eras" along the way. One thing sort of stands out (to me, at least): We used to value that the cards were "handmade" - that they had a personality that set them apart from store-bought. You could also identify - to a large degree - who the cardmaker was because of the personality of the card.

With the development of all of the machines and dies and what-have-you, it seems that things have moved more and more towards looking "perfect" and similar to each other to a large degree and straight out of a store (a high-end store, perhaps, but still...) Yes, there are still highly-identifiable cardmakers and, yes, the cards are still made with love and care and are preferable to store-bought, but...

This is NOT a knock - I'm as guilty as anyone of using these things (if "guilt" is even a valid term) - but sometimes I think "back to basics" is a good idea. If I'm honest with myself, some of my favorite cards in my gallery (and the ones that show the most creativity) were from the "early days" before all of the toys became a "'necessity"... Thoughts?

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2018, 06:46 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is so true! I was shopping for a wedding card (yes, I occasionaly end up having to buy cards) a little while back and couldn't believe how many cards there were that resembled cards I come across on blogs and card galleries. I always admire all the gorgeous dies available, but I have a very limited budget so when I buy new things it's mainly stamps. I've been a card maker for about 15 years now, and remember how fascinated I was by hand embossing with a stylus and using a little hammer and tool to set eyelets :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2018, 08:33 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The hammer and eyelets, I still have those! More for memory's sake, because it makes me smile remembering how amazed I was by that tool And oh how far we've come, I will admit I was quite happy with the upgrade to the Crop-a-dile. Sometimes you really had to pull on that spring eyelet setter and my arm would get sore, lol! I DEFINITELY miss more of the basics from when I first started stamping in 2005. Even when I was first introduced to Stampin Up 2-Step Stampin', I was blown away and just in awe of that technique. And I still love it! But now - I'm so overwhelmed by these 113 step layering sets that I just avoid them. I don't have a single Altenew layering set for example! And although I've let myself be suckered into this "need" of thinking I must have matching dies - I've realized I just don't use them much. So many of the cards these days are die cut scenes and they are gorgeous, but they are starting to blend together to me. I too look back at some of my original cards and although I know the "trends" are outdated, I still love them. A few years ago I looked back and thought omg what was I thinking?? But now, I appreciate them so much more and I can see the love and care that went into them. It was about the stamping and the inks - not the die cutting and copic coloring techniques. Although I don't miss using the popping pastels, I still hold on tight to my watercolor crayons. And in the first years - it was not about perfection at all. Somehow along the way, this pressure snuck up on me to make what I think are "perfect" cards and it became stressful vs. a stress reliever. So I've recently decided it's ok to go back to the basics and shed this "guilt" of not using die cuts and copics on everything and being caught up in what's trendy. I'll admit, I never gave up using ribbon and did not get on the washi tape bandwagon ever. I love ribbon so much and to this day, work it into almost card. I know some people find it outdated, but I can't ever imagine not using it!

Also - I find it interesting that when I pull out my binders of samples and ask people to point out some of their favorites, often times it is more of the originals from the first few years. So although certain things in the consumer world of stamping have become less trendy, to those not part of this scene/obsession , they still see and love the beauty in the more "simple" cards which makes me happy.

Last edited by Catherine773; 08-31-2018 at 08:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2018, 08:47 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

gregzgurl - I have had those same exact thoughts. I have been stamping for about 19-20 years and have watched the trends evolve and I, too, am not criticizing it. I've bought a number of the new things - cricut, silhouette machines, dies, etc., and love to make cards in different shapes, but my favorite is still stamping. I especially love to stamp, emboss, paint with bleach to remove color, and then color with different mediums. I also buy the majority of my supplies at used stamp sales, yard sales, thrift stores, etc. I love the hobby and am looking forward to when I can retire to have more time to play.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2018, 10:23 AM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

I like to use basic shape dies. I have some fancier ones and I rarely use them. I have said on here before that I adore looking through older SU! catalogs because I love the samples so much! It is much easier to case a card that uses stamps, ink, paper, and some embellishments or ribbon. Those are easy to find substitutes for in my stash. Not so much fancy dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2018, 10:39 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it really about stamps vs. dies vs. 'fancy' tools though, or is it a case of more tutorials, videos, galleries, layouts and samples being available in an instant now vs. twenty years ago? When I occasionally glance at the type of cards being made most tend to all follow some basic layouts and styles.

There's a lot of heavy inspiration rather than new ideas being passed around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2018, 07:10 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmbriView Post
Is it really about stamps vs. dies vs. 'fancy' tools though, or is it a case of more tutorials, videos, galleries, layouts and samples being available in an instant now vs. twenty years ago? When I occasionally glance at the type of cards being made most tend to all follow some basic layouts and styles.

There's a lot of heavy inspiration rather than new ideas being passed around.

I think that it's a combination of both, to be honest. Now that you've brought that point up, I have the perfect example: One of my dear friends (the one most responsible for my being as invested in this craft as I am) used to come up with awesome ideas for cards and we'd compare what we were working on and congratulate each other on things that we appreciated and encourage each other and all the rest of it. She has become a CASE queen now - she makes cards that she likes from Pinterest and Facebook and has to use the exact same dies and the exact same stamps and the exact same papers. It makes me sad...

We all borrow ideas from others and that's fine (I even bought a great book called Steal Like an Artist that proves the point), but it should be more of an "influenced by" rather than a "copied from" dealie-o, in my opinion. One reason I enjoy the challenge galleries is that everyone interprets the challenges so differently, so there's more variety there, it seems.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2018, 09:46 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I had to google what CASE was; thought it was those card template things that seem to be popular but no it's "Copy and Share Everything", yeah? Sort of a peculiar attitude with all the brouhaha over unbranded products.

I've never tried making a card I've seen or looked at a layout and gone 'oh yeah I want to copy that'. And no, that doesn't make me better or worse than folks who do - it's just not how I get my fun out of crafting. The part I love is pulling out snippits of scrap paper, my binder of dies, and whatever diecut leftovers I've got and seeing what I can make from them. I don't make my cards a particular size either, it all just depends on what bits and scraps I've got to play with.

I guess crafting to me is like Lego - sure you can build the set with the instructions that come in the box, but the real satisfaction is from letting your imagination run free. That's really sad to hear about your friend; I can understand why people would prefer to copy or work from existing cards because it's much faster and easier than designing your own. Hopefully they'll find their creative spark again someday. Copying has its place. It's a useful way to learn, but at some point every artist has to strike out from the beaten path or be left adrift in a sea of sameness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2018, 12:06 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

My hubby always says I’m more creative if I have less to play with and he’s right. I was really sad when the Limited Supplies challenge here met its demise and morphed into the Free For All challenge. I like supplies that have multiple uses so dies that match stamp sets don’t really float my boat - most of my dies are basic shapes and a few things (leaves, snowflakes) that are intricate enough to be difficult to cut by hand and versatile enough to appear on many different projects. So I guess I’m a good candidate to agree with your post Sue!

I’m sure things like matching dies and electronic machines are an absolute boon to some people (limited dexterity for fussy cutting etc). For me, spending on stamps and inks is where I get most fun though.

It makes me sad when people say their cards are “not good enough” or they get stressed about creating. What we do is a hobby (for the vast majority of us anyway) and to me that means it’s about having fun. Things don’t always turn out the way we thought they would but if we had some fun in the process, that’s absolutely fine. We don’t always need to have the very latest toys to play with, we just need to give ourselves the time and latitude to play!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2018, 01:38 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I do think a big reason for the 'sameness' of handmade & shop bought is that 'in fashion' or 'on trend' has spread into crafting now. I was used to walking around shops and
seeing the same colours, or focal images, on everything from dishcloths to settees. Now it's in stamps/dies/ DP as well. I admit, I will avoid anything that carries those two descriptions like the plague. If I wanted my cards to look like what's in the shops, I would just go out & buy it.
But, as always, it's different strokes for different folks. And I understand DT members/ demos having to use what they're tasked with promoting.
I also agree with Embri- we do have much more instant access to so much eye candy now. It used to be that we saw designs and trends only in magazines, now the Internet brings us what I suppose is an overload almost. Inspiration can't be avoided, and there are so many people putting their stuff on You Tube/Pinterest/Instagram etc, I think we are generally all influenced by them to a degree. Maybe only subconsciously, but things do lodge in out minds, and pop up on occasion in our own work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2018, 05:07 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

It's fun to look back at old catalogs and old cards and see all the styles and trends that have come and gone and some have come back again. When you see something that is everywhere (think woodland critters, chevron, feathers, arrows, unicorns) it isn't too long until they disappear and are replaced by the next thing. Florals and basic shapes, maybe fancied up with dies and coloring will be around forever, I think.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2018, 07:20 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't speak to trends or large scale evolutions, only my own. On my mom's side of the family there are several really, truly artists and I've always been super intimidated at the idea of 'being artistic' because what I was capable of and what my aunt and cousins do ... there's just no comparison. Enter SU!, stamps, paper, and ink. Holy schmoly! I could feel 'creative' in a safe A2 sized piece of paper and if it went south it was easy enough to throw away. It was all amazing, all those techniques and ways to play with stamps. They were my training wheels. Then came embossing folders and then die cuts. and then came 'mixed media', my entry point into playing around in a more creative 'artistic' way. I'm not sure where this evolution is taking me, but dang, I'm having a lot of fun along the way.

We each come to this crazy hobby for different reasons, with different bank accounts and different expectations, right? and then there are those who've been stamping forever, and those who are just stepping into it. and then there are the manufacturers who have to try to come up with something new and exciting ... over and over and on and on. Kudos for anyone trying to get an overall sense of things with all that going on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2018, 08:25 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread. Have had similar thoughts. All the techniques we learned are now done by expensive dies. I have found my scoreboard and paper cutter are my best tools along with good scissors. I still like “making” the card myself. I like challenges to create a look in the size I want. I stopped going to classes as they have become “make and takes” with little learning. My local stamp store has a demo day once a month and it is so valuable to learn about and try new products before you buy. Now that is a real customer service.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2018, 05:41 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love this thread, Sue!

As someone who's been stamping for close to twenty years (how's that possible when I'm only 28 in my head? LOL!), I have seen my fair share of trends come and go. I have seen the pendulum swing from Clean and Simple cards to Cluttered Up Crazy with die cuts cards. Background papers and ribbon were all the rage, and now you see less and less of both. Two-step stamping was the must-do technique, and then it disappeared in favor of markers, and now it's coming back with a vengeance.

I let myself get sucked in to a lot of these trends, too. But lately, I find myself being called back to the simpler styles. I want to enjoy the process as much as the end product.

This year, I've taught myself linocutting and print making, which is really just the concept of making your own stamp. There is something SO rewarding about the process for me. I've also taught myself to watercolor, and I'm loving the idea of making my own visions come to life.

We do have a LOT of inspiration out there now. I think it's one of the reasons why the magazine industry has suffered over the last decade. Who needs them when you have pinterest, blogs, and youtube channels? For me, it's not about cranking out product. It's about loving the process. It truly is an evolution of the craft!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2018, 11:32 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Fascinating read - thanks to the OP for this thread. When I first started making cards back in early 2008 (my first upload here on SCS was Sept 200, I had recently purchased some circle and scalloped circle punches and thought they were THE MOST awesome product as I no longer had to trace around a glass and then handcut the circle - yay!. When Spellbinders came out with Nesting Circle etc. dies, I jumped on board as now I had so much variety for sizes - and you know what? I still use my nesting dies the most and get a buzz out of using them. I have bought a few other dies with stitching but don't use them nearly as much. I have learned that you can still make an awesome card with simple products. I often use similar layouts on alot of my cards or take inspiration from older cards here on SCS that are in my Favourites Gallery. In fact, I have lots of folders with printouts of my favourite older cards from SCS that I love to look through time and time again. I still love those cards as much as I did then because they were uncomplicated and achievable with minimal supplies. I get frustrated with cards that are more complicated because I'm a Carer and my brain is totally zapped alot of the time & are therefore really tired - and it makes me make boo-boos because I measure up something wrong. So I keep things simple. It's all about de-stressing me - not increasing my stress because I am frustrated.

I never noticed until a couple of years ago that cardmaking and trends seem to be hand-in-hand eg: pineapples, unicorns, owls, foiling, large sentiments etc because I see all those things in girl's clothes that I buy for my daughter - and in other fashion/home decor items. When did that happen? And which came first? When I was first here on SCS, was that ever the case??? I suppose the downside is that trends come & go so quickly that new stamps/dies can become dated - or because they were released 6 months ago, cardmakers aren't using them because you can't get them anywhere anymore - and if you blog your card with an older set, people message you to ask where they can buy what you used because they can't find it anywhere in stores/online. I watch videos with cardmakers apologising that a particular set has been retired - even though it wasn't released all that long ago. That has happened to me many times when I have blogged my cards. I personally just keep using my older stamps/dies etc because I still love them. Maybe I should rename my blog "Using my old stuff 'cos I still love it" ;)

I used to follow Katina Killey's blog (she is from the UK but the blog has been removed) because I loved her simple style - and I remember her saying one time that when she started cardmaking, the amount of supplies that she had would fit into a shoebox - and that since she had become a seasoned cardmaker, that what she actually uses from her stash STILL fits into a shoebox. Definitely had me nodding in agreement!

Last edited by JoBear2; 09-03-2018 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2018, 03:46 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

I so agree with you Sue, for the most part, and others who have joined into this discussion. I�ve never been much of a stamp junkie, although you�d think so if you saw the number I�ve collected over the years. I do love Altenew�s layering stamps, and have spent a small, large considering the price, fortune on their stamps! I believe our lifestyles has more to do with the �have to buy it syndrome� many of us have more than anything, take me as an example. I�m a retired full time caregiver unable to venture out just for fun. I�ve not left my home except for grocery shopping, doctor appointments, and a few necessary brief periods for over five years. To be out more than an hour or two I have to hire a paid caregiver, no vacations or all day outings for me! I�m predominantly addicted to paints, various varieties of colored pencils, inks, and markers. I�m truly a color junky, probably because the beautiful colors make me happy;-)!
So although I totally agree for the most part, I don�t feel quilty. My addition is cheaper than therapy, and would bet I�m not alone;-)!
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2018, 04:51 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I also had another thought about this- could it be the availability of Internet shopping driving this in part?
After all, back in the day, craft shopping meant a trip to a craft store, and certainly close to me in the UK, that was a considerable trip, I don't drive so had to ask Hubby to take me. Then you would never be certain they would have what you wanted- after all, most bricks and mortar shops can't possibly stock everything- so it may be a wasted journey.
And of course, seeing new products had to wait for magazine releases.

Now, we can sit at our pc at any hour of the day or night, and buy what we want, generally getting it within a few days at worst. And we get to see ALL the new stuff, often before it's even released, with all the techniques and samples instantly available.
Plus, I think maybe one of the biggest parts- spending money online never really FEELS like spending real money, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2018, 05:05 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm sure that the instant-access, instant gratification plays a huge part in the whole picture, Shaz. And I'm as guilty as many of getting caught up in the "wow, great stuff and great sale" syndrome. I had seven things in my online cart over at the Unity Labor Day sale, let them sit there since Thursday, revisited it periodically over the weekend, then emptied the cart last night after realizing that two of the items were going directly to my daughter (who inherits my gently used items and doesn't "need" those two, truthfully, they were just a good price) and the others were cute but not the style I've started to employ in my creative pursuits, so would I use them, really? I still really like all of them, but I don't need to bring them home. I think, often, I/we don't do that final evaluation enough and get things that we like but won't really use - because we can and, like you said, we're not actually watching the dollars leave our little fists...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2018, 11:13 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

Interesting observations and conversation.
A few months ago, I was doing searches for sketches online and ran across a few blogs sharing cards that are multi-layered with a lot of detail, ribbon, etc. I remember thinking, "Oh yay, people still make this style of card!" I used to make cards like that all the time (and loved it) but moved away from it when my customers wanted things they could mail more easily. I got into the habit of trying to make more CAS cards and somehow got into the mindset of that's how cards look now. :rolleyes: That's silly, huh? We are artists� let it flow!

What several of you were saying about the sharing of ideas across different platforms: maybe it influences so much of what we see not because so many adopt that style, but because we try it out and show people what we are trying. So, for example, I like multi-layered cards but lately have been practicing my coloring and have been focused on that. So the majority of cards I share look more CAS-ish just because it allows me to focus on what I've been practicing. Not because it's my favorite. Make sense?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2018, 01:21 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks to Sue and everyone who has shared their feelings! I don't generally read many of the forum posts due to limited 'Artful' time, but I couldn't resist this topic! I've been away from SCS for 18 months due to LIFE. How I missed it! And I am so very glad it fills our creative needs, to each one, something very different. I have been sad to see 'it' feels so many people have moved on, but then again those friends 'o mine are still around to cheer me back.

I'd say I am not one to chase the trends...every card I create is a one of a kind, meant for someone very special and is created in the moment. Never to be repeated. That is my HE{art}. Oh, I have a bit of the almost newest and no so latest...but in the end it's all about the stamps and how they convey a story. Throw in some fun techniques to put under those magical stamps and it's a Winning combination.

Thanks for allowing me to spill my 2 pennies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2018, 05:01 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I also had another thought about this- could it be the availability of Internet shopping driving this in part?
After all, back in the day, craft shopping meant a trip to a craft store, and certainly close to me in the UK, that was a considerable trip, I don't drive so had to ask Hubby to take me. Then you would never be certain they would have what you wanted- after all, most bricks and mortar shops can't possibly stock everything- so it may be a wasted journey.
And of course, seeing new products had to wait for magazine releases.

Now, we can sit at our pc at any hour of the day or night, and buy what we want, generally getting it within a few days at worst. And we get to see ALL the new stuff, often before it's even released, with all the techniques and samples instantly available.
Plus, I think maybe one of the biggest parts- spending money online never really FEELS like spending real money, lol.
So so TRUE!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2018, 05:17 AM   #22  
Embossing Fanatic

I am a "fly by the seat of my britches" kinda crafter, in all areas of crafting. We used to have a card making ministry at church and the lady that put this all together would have 3 samples of cards to make each time we met. Ok, so I would check out the cards and immediately start thinking how I can make it my own, and I would. Most of the time, all that would resemble the original, would just be the supplies used. I would think out side the box on everything. We would make 2 cards of each sample. 2 of the ladies had to do it EXACTLY like the samples. They could not or would not stray from that sample even a little bit. One of them finally asked me why I had to always be different and not make the cards like the samples. I just asked her back, "why would I not try to make it my own"? They were upset with me that I always did that. But the cards that I made always stood out and the lady overseeing the card making was always excited to see what I was gonna do. She always told us to make the cards our own, that her samples was just a starting place and she would then in turn use some of my ideas in later cards.

I am the same way with cooking. I learned to take a little and make a lot from it. Coming from a large family that's what you do. I am also in Family Community Education club through the county Extension office with those 2 same ladies and they are always asking how I came up with the idea to make such and such meal. We always have a meal when we have club meetings and I just throw something together, in a loving manner, and it's always delicious and they will ask me how in the world I came up with the dish. I have told them that my Mom always taught me that a recipe is kinda like a pattern, it's just the starting place and then you tweak it to make it yours. I do that in every aspect of my creativity; crafting, sewing, cooking and whatever else comes along. So if I see a card I like, I instantly start trying to see how I can mix it up and make it mine.

I have also come to the conclusion that there are very few NEW ideas in crafting and there a lot of people that want to say such and such stole my idea. That could be so, but I am here to say that I had an idea about a year ago and worked on it and perfected my technique, and I had NOT looked for anything like it on the internet, When I finally did share it, and then start looking to see if it existed, it did, but I had NOT stolen anyone's idea!! That's why I say there are very few new ideas. If I've had the thought or idea, more than likely, someone else has too. So we need to be a LOT more understanding in that area. I consider every good thought I have to come from God, so why would He not let someone else have that same thought, maybe before me or after me? I think He would and does. I think He gave us the ability to be crafty and we either use it or we don't. We either make it ours, or we make it just like the samples. And there is nothing wrong with that at all. We are all different, with different levels of creativity and we need to use that creativity to the best of our abilities.

Last edited by rosetresures; 09-05-2018 at 05:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2018, 05:25 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Good thread! I guess I am a bit of a mixed bag. I do love many of the new products and sometimes feel I "have" to have it, but in reality, I save my money up for those big purchases and if it is still available by the time I've saved up the money, I will buy it. But I have no problem with older, more "dated" items. What that means is sometimes waiting pays off in price!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2018, 05:28 AM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Welcome back Susan!

What a great topic Sue!! I agree with everything before ^^^. I think most of the stuff we see today is just easier ways to do stuff..the MISTI replacing the stamp a ma jig, etc. Very much driven by ease or being able to do it at all (like perfect layers, matching dies for cutting issues, etc)

I am not at this 20 years and I already see the real truth is...we are not doing so much that is truly "new". We are still heat embossing, dry embossing, fancy folds, step layers, embossing pastes, etc. We may have let go of some embellishments...brads or eyelets, etc. But the core techniques...same. Right now sequins are very hot so we have some variations like confetti or diamond cuts. And frankly as we saw in other threads many of us are older and have cutting issues so dies are a big help for us.

My Yoda was constantly grabbing me by the back of the pants before I jumped off the cliff to buy some new gadget...and saying "No...you can just do this. You don't need to spend 100 bucks on that". I have to say she was THE best thing that ever happened to me in stamping. I wish every newbie can find one. I still use our favorite tool-the opened paper clip

And there is some stuff you have to do the old way...like stylus embossing with a light box...if you want to focus on a single image...

Big "aw" trend now on the cute...Lawn Fawn was always that and now many companies have come along and also do that. Are women more susceptible to the "aw"? Why we struggle with masculine cards where we have to avoid it? Maybe another thread...but I am envisioning a table of women all making cute and going "aw!" at everyone else's....maybe part of the generic thing you are talking about? (I like cute too)

Also as more of us want to sell cards to support the habit or ourselves...are we forced to look more commercial?

I like to point out this blog bc it forces you to use OLD stamps/materials and sometimes the makers also go old school in the techniques....

Retro rubber challenge blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2018, 06:34 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Also as more of us want to sell cards to support the habit or ourselves...are we forced to look more commercial?
If this is true, it makes me sad. Why would an artisan or handcrafter want to replicate what machines can do/make? Heaven help the papercrafter who's trying to create what Hallmark can crank out en mass. I was encouraged some years back when I noticed how many commercial card companies where trying to replicate the handcrafted look, but to try to replicate them? no, no, no ... tell me that's not so. seems soul sapping to me. I hope we'll all be inspired by each other, but be willing to explore and experiment and make our own unique one-of-a-kind creations that no machine could ever replicate. just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2018, 07:27 AM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

As the cynic in the conversation, I think much of this is driven by the manufacturers and retailer who need to keep coming up with things we "have" to buy. As consumers and passionate crafters, it is so easy for us to get caught up in new toys and trends. I think the push for perfection has been fueled by the commercialization of crafting which has transformed it from a hobby into an industry.

(You know there is big money in stamping when Hallmark and other commercial card companies are now copying us!)

Last edited by RufsMom; 09-05-2018 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2018, 07:52 AM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

I also think we were also all influenced by the general pressure to create something pintrest-worthy, to get more likes, more views and more traffic to one's blog.

As this hobby has grown it has become big business and there are lots of people trying to make money in lots of different ways. That always changes things. When I look at my earliest SU catalogs I can see how the artistic and design quality really grown along with that it has ratcheted up the pressure (real or imagined) to perfect cards.

We also now have many more new and wonderful tools and techniques but also many expensive gadgets and accessories of dubious value and complicated techniques that intimidate and take hours to duplicate.<o:p

Like everyone else, I’ve been sucked into it too, with shelves full of tools and supplies that are seldom used. Now I mostly stick with the basics. When I have time to stamp I want to get out some paper and ink, exercise my creativity, get my fingers dirty, and bang out some cards.

Thanks for starting this thread. I think tonight I’m going to get out the bleach and play with federal technique, after that maybe some masking techniques.

Happy stamping everyone -- get your fingers dirty!</o

Last edited by RufsMom; 09-05-2018 at 08:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2018, 10:37 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I teach a technique class once a month to about a dozen gals in our stamp club. I purposely don't show them what we are going to do. I suggest an approximate size for the stamp and maybe a few images that would work well and the types of inks and tools they may need---dye reinkers, embossing powder, etc. I make several samples---all different to place around on the tables so that they can have a visual to go along with my instructions. I am always amazed and so pleased at how different each card comes out because I'm teaching a technique, not a particular card. Many go home an use the technique with other stamps or colors or in a different way, having been inspired as they worked in class. Some bring their Misti. (I don't own one and don't care to.) If my two step stamps are slightly off, it makes it a one of a kind and original. I have the original Cuttlebug that the new SU folders don't even fit through because I love texture, I don't have any distress inks, stazon, lift inks, and only basic geometric concentric dies. (I do like my circles and ovals to be round.) I don't buy stamps that have a matching dies (I really love to fussy cut), Have some alcohol markers that were given to me that I use rarely as I like using my aqua brush to water color from the lid of my ink pads. I don't buy decorative paper as I would rather make what I need in the colors and amounts I will use. I do use eyelets, brads, ribbon, cord, and some small punched items for embellishments, but not every card. I still make holes around a shape with a piercing tool and foam pad. I really get disturbed when I take the occasional class and all we do is glue together pre cut pieces---no stamping involved! It's like doing a paint by number compared to a painting of a scene or a flower you admire. This is the trend in "stamping" that I don't like to see. Just my opinion!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2018, 12:19 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I must say, this thread caught my eye. I have been stamping for more years than I will admit to and have WAY more stuff than i NEED! But, I love it all and I try to use it all. I don't do very well at using it yet but I am working on it. What I find myself doing lately is to add things to the basket that I like and then going back and removing them. I take time to think it through and talk myself out of it. If I can't talk myself out of it, then I might go ahead and get it. My style has changed and the more classes I look at, the more I want to try things out and play with stuff. I do use the old stuff and the new stuff. Like I said, I am getting better at not just jumping on and getting it all. I think the multi layered stamps are lovely but they almost look like professional cards. I prefer the bit wonky look of hand make cards. I love my dies but like stamping with them also. I do notice that fashion and pro cards follow much of what the stampers are doing. So in some respects we set the trend. But I really need to downsize my stuff and I have a hard time letting it go. So the conundrum..........sigh. I was recently given a Craftsy gift and they had some wonderful techniques that I want to try...wish me luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2018, 08:32 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I�m actually on the other side of this discussion. While I don�t have to have every new thing, I do like to get new stamps, dies and tools fairly often. (Hello kit subs!!) I still use old stamps and dies all the time. But I used just one Cuttlebug for over 10 years. The pressure had decreased over the years so I�m happy the cuts I get from my Gemini jr are better, faster and need less work from my arthritic hands. But I waited for bloggers I respected to review it before I got it. It can�t do everything like the Cuttlebug (with the right shims and plates it works with any die or folder I�ve ever owned) but it�s just so much easier. I have all the old Spellbinders basics dies but I love and use my new A2 sized rectangle and stitched rectangle dies. I never buy hills or similar dies because I can hand cut a hill! But I love unicorns and mermaids. Some trends are awesome. I�ll always use gold and other metallics! I love making fancy fold cards so much easier with a die but some are so easy it isn�t worth it.

I don�t jump on every trend (owls, ick!) but Washi tape is great because I use it mostly on the envelopes I address when swapping art. I�m careful to leave new things on my wish list for a while before buying to make sure I really want it. It�s rare I jump to buy something brand new. (Flinger dies and the Studio Katia shell shaker Die are exceptions). I could never go back to just Paper, simple dies, stamps and inks.

Layering sets are awesome but I also love colouring. I don�t expect perfection but I do find high quality products make a huge difference. It took me two years to get Black Velvet watercolour brushes and Daniel Smith paints. They are sooooo different! I could never go back to using stamping inks. And Copic markers gave me the smooth blends I craved from watercolours (many years ago) but couldn�t achieve due to inexperience! And my airbrush machine makes them more versatile. Yeah it does bug me if my layering sets aren�t perfect or perfectly die cut. But I don�t get frustrated, I just grab more paper and try again.

I feel bad for anyone who feels they have to compete with others or for whom more supplies or techniques cause more stress because I love them. My mom likes to find a card she loves then buy the exact supplies and remake it. It�s not my style but if that makes her happy then why not!! If you like to be original, do that, if not, copy your heart out as long as you don�t claim it was your original idea or try to sell it.

As for unbranded products, if it�s just a basic, who cares? A circle is a circle right? As long as it cuts... But if it�s a specific design by an independent company, I think buying the copy is horrible. It�s not right that someone creative trying so hard to run a small business and make it a success has their design stolen by a foreign copyright thief. Then the rightful company has to contend with unhappy customers who think they�ve been ripped off by having been sold an inferior product. I hope that isn�t what was meant in a previous comment by �unbranded�.

I love cards because I love cards. I don�t care what products they use or how old they are. Someone out there will have a similar product in all but the rarest cases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2018, 08:47 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

I feel the suppliers have taught us well that shopping for supplies is as much fun as making the cards. LOL I admit being addicted to such actions and also admit it's a lot of fun too. I just feel blessed that I have shopped and created for so long that I have a large stash of goodies and can afford some new along the way too. I agree the old basics are fun but so is using the new tools and coloring supplies. My room makes me smile!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2018, 01:43 AM   #32  
Proud Fan Club Member

I feel the suppliers have taught us well that shopping for supplies is as much fun as making the cards-Rebecca Ednie

People say all the time that Tim Holtz could sell snow in the Arctic.

I like challenges that are not connected to a product line but a technique or idea like colors or topics or layout. Does anyone else feel that maybe the free form style of mixed media is so popular right now because it is just that-free form? You don't need straight lines, fussy cutting, etc.

What is different to me (evolution)...but this is true in the whole world...are the bloggers. Holy moly there are millions of bloggers for everything now! Regular citizens, not company reps. Not knocking it, just sayin. People often have a better sense of humor than one might expect

Also lately I have noticed that the professional bloggers more and more are talking about making mistakes and embracing them. And the more down to earth they are, the more we like them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2018, 05:59 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I feel the suppliers have taught us well that shopping for supplies is as much fun as making the cards-Rebecca Ednie

People say all the time that Tim Holtz could sell snow in the Arctic.

I like challenges that are not connected to a product line but a technique or idea like colors or topics or layout. Does anyone else feel that maybe the free form style of mixed media is so popular right now because it is just that-free form? You don't need straight lines, fussy cutting, etc.

What is different to me (evolution)...but this is true in the whole world...are the bloggers. Holy moly there are millions of bloggers for everything now! Regular citizens, not company reps. Not knocking it, just sayin. People often have a better sense of humor than one might expect

Also lately I have noticed that the professional bloggers more and more are talking about making mistakes and embracing them. And the more down to earth they are, the more we like them.

I'm with you. Technique, topic or mostly the stamp(s) drives me. I think I would consider myself a craftsman. (I like design, layout and process.) I am really not a true artist. (I do not like mixed media, free form or anything goes.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2018, 07:25 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
I am really not a true artist.

How do you define artist? I have said this same thing about myself on numerous occasions but then started visiting art galleries. What really made me stop and rethink it was visiting the Tate Modern in London. I saw a wide variety of art, all things created by people in a variety of ways with a WIDE variety of results. And it was all art.

So I'm thinking you ARE an artist!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2018, 07:45 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Also lately I have noticed that the professional bloggers more and more are talking about making mistakes and embracing them. And the more down to earth they are, the more we like them.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with this wavejumper, and I think myself that it's a great idea. If I make mistakes, and I do a blog post about whatever I was making- I always make sure I put the mistake in there. Mainly, because forewarned is forearmed! A bit of 'do as I say, don't do what I did', lol. Usually it will have been a stupid mistake, that could have been avoided if I'd thought the process through better.
It also means I can tell others what I should have done, or what I ended up doing to fix it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2018, 08:02 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Adriana, Thanks for your kind words, but I think an artist can think outside the box, create something out of their own imagination and be original. I tend to follow instructions to the T, seldom vary from the norm and don't have an original bone in my body.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2018, 09:41 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Adriana, Thanks for your kind words, but I think an artist can think outside the box, create something out of their own imagination and be original. I tend to follow instructions to the T, seldom vary from the norm and don't have an original bone in my body.

You need a book called Steal Like An Artist by Austin Kleon. I keep trying to add a link, but it keeps redirecting from Amazon to Walmart. Don't know what the heck that's about, but...

Great book, and really fast read. May change your mind about how you feel on this subject...

Last edited by gregzgurl; 09-06-2018 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: remove faulty link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2018, 05:46 PM   #38  
Proud Fan Club Member

Another great thing about showing mistakes and how to fix them is take away the fear factor-if you make a mistake, odds are it can be fixed/some part salvaged and you don't have to dump the card straight off. Plus they can be funny....like outtakes from movies. I always really enjoy people who can laugh at themselves. Takes the stress and drama out of it. Sometimes we can get caught up and frustrated and even angry with ourselves when we don't master it instantly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 05:00 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

Great discussion! I'm of two minds - I love my Big Shot, all the dies I've bought, and all the new products because it keeps my style evolving and I'm always learning new techniques. But at the same time, I love what got me into this - stamps and heat embossing - so I often still make cards that use nothing but that (I did two of those just a couple of weeks ago). Or a card that uses nothing but a simple stamped image, coloured in with coloured pencils or watercolours - still do lots of those.

So I think we can keep the old going, but also embrace the new!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 05:21 PM   #40  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I just googled youtube stamping bloopers. Yup, there are quite a few to watch.

I know, we used to go out on Saturday night, but now I'm content to google such a thing and have a good laugh! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes