Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-14-2018, 03:20 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Do you store Dies by category?

if so, what are the categories you use? Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2018, 04:56 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I tried storing my dies that way, since my stamps were stored that way. But it didn't work for me. So here's my system.

First I have my dies on magnetic sheets in the Artbin die storage boxes. I have three. And they are getting really heavy!

First box. This is kind of a category. It's all my nesting dies.

Second box. Sorted by company, alphabetically.

Third box. Also by company, but this one has the two largest companies...Stampin' Up! and Paper Smooches.

I can make minor adjustments easily with this system if I go all-out buying dies from one company or another, and I seem to be able to find the dies I want much easier since most of my stamps have the company name with the stamps.

It works for me anyway.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2018, 06:42 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

thanks! I already have mine on magnetic sheets in the clear envelopes, and all of them in a pretty basket, but I am gettting so many it is hard to find them quickly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2018, 08:13 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I have tons of dies; I store those with matching stamps together with the stamps. Others are in these categories: rectangles; squares; circles; ovals; Spellbinders & MFT Labels; Labels & Frames; Spellbinders Matting Basics & MFT Blueprints;Borders; Floral/Garden; Butterflies [I have enough to have their own category!]; Cover dies/Backgrounds; Alphabets; Words; Christmas; Other Holidays; Embellishments; and a catch all Miscellaneous.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2018, 06:54 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, I store by category, all on magnetic sheets in Avery Elle pockets, stored in
a Really Useful Box, the 9L size.
Categories:

Christmas words, Christmas Images, Mixed Media dies, Animals/creatures, Floral, leaves & Greenery,Layering Labels & Tags, Sentiments,Basic Shapes,Butterfly/dragonfly,Fancy Elements & Flourishes,Balloons & cogs, Backgrounds & Frames,Hearts, Weddings etc,Borders, edges & Corners, Halloween, Alphas & Numbers. Plus one for Random.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2018, 01:29 PM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

I have the Stampin Storage cards, and one of their boxes,which is getting quite full. The majority are just in there alphabetized, but I have a separate category of shapes (squares, ovals, etc.) and another category for dies that cut out a cardfront.
However, I am going to start moving stamp set specific sets to the cd case with the stamp set. I think this will be more efficient for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2018, 04:08 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I store mine in pockets, some with magnets if it is easier for me to grab them. I do cut my magnets down though, when I can. I will use only a 1 inch by 5 inch piece if that works.
They are stored the long way, instead of standing up, due to the storage container I have. I love die-cutting and I have a lot. I also have a Silhouette machine that I use for special words, but die-cuts are my favorite

My categories are:
Rectangles/squares-my most used dies are here
Circles/ovals
Nature- trees, flowers, animals
Shapes-balloons, clouds (because this is how I think of them as opposed to nature)

Hearts/stars-I use these quite a bit and did not want to dig through all my shapes to find them, also I take all the heart dies that might come with other die sets and move them to one pocket

Banners, tabs and tags
Labels-mostly Spellbinder nesting dies
Background (large dies that cover a card front)
Borders
Holiday
Words
Alphabets
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2018, 12:47 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

thanks for all the good info!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2018, 08:44 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently retired as a longtime SU demo, so previously I just had all my dies in two boxes, one current SU and one everything else... well I've been expanding my collection and need to change my storage. I'm planning on nesting shapes, fancies (my own definition of the swirly pretty ones a la spellbinders), words, xmas, envelopes/pouches/pockets, etc. Just having them separated and divided will be a big help finding what I need.
Also need to expand to three boxes I think lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2018, 12:37 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've decided it works best for me to store stamps, dies and embossing folders together in the same bins. So anything birthday goes in that bin (or behind that divider), etc. I have lots of categories, but I'm not at home right now so I can't list them out. Anything Circles is behind it's divider, etc.

I have a lot of stamps, dies and embossing folders. I think I have 18 bins (they are the medium Inter Design Fridge Binz). And I do have a large bin for the few items that are larger than ~ 5" x 7".

I need to get all of my things into Evernote. I've started, but have a long way to go.

I am a SU Demo, so all current SU items are not stored in the bins.
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2018, 10:11 PM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Dies are 2 places with me. All are in pockets with magnetic and cardboard except solid cover plates-then no magnetic, just cardboard
1) Stamp and die sets. Not categorized.
2) Dies by category.
I have a lot of dies so I have a lot of categories.
Words
Shapes-circles, square, rect, oval, misc (diamonds, etc). These would be both fancy border shapes as well as nesting.
Holiday-Xmas, Halloween, etc.
Flowers, leaves, trees, misc garden
Specialty (pop ups, flip dies, etc)
Card creators
There is a box of misc themes like ocean, clothes, etc.
Baby
Romance (hearts, couples, weddings, valentines, anniversary etc)
elements (water/rain, wood, stone, sky, etc)
General patterns (argyle, stripes, dots, etc)
Spellbinders Labels
Alphabets/numbers
People
Tags and banners

I am sure I am missing some. You do what works for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2018, 06:41 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes to categories. But categories reflect how each of us thinks/looks for dies, so will be different. And quantity counts. If I have 20 leaf, 20 tree and 20 flower dies, they might each have their own category. But if I have 15 total of all of those, they�d be in one category called Nature.

My dies live in SSS 5� sturdy pockets with a piece of 80 lb cardstock inside for stability, and to keep samples/extra die cuts on one side of the cardstock plus notes (more important when I used a manual cutting machine). Magnetic sheets are only used for infinity dies or sets with tons of little dies, since I want to minimize bulk, weight, and fit as many dies as possible into the bins. And dies don�t need to be protected that way - some companies even mail dies loose in little bags. But others like magnetic sheets - personal preference.

Since the pockets are short it�s easy to reach in or shake out dies. If the die is taller than 5� that�s fine. The flap is kept upright so the die can lean against it. I have a small automotive supply magnetic dish to keep dies from wandering away when die cutting.

The only dies that are with stamps are the ones that wouldn�t make sense without the stamps. I don�t have many. Labels on die and stamp pockets refer to each other.

Probably forgetting some:
Alphas
Sentiments
Banners and similar
Leaves, Trees, Flowers ;) These three have a�Nature� divider in front plus 3 dividers in a different color separating them.
Animals - includes bugs, fish
Geometrics - dies that make frames or infinity dies are in the back; ones that are interesting shapes are in front; will make two sub-category dividers.
Buildings - houses, city scapes
Full Coverage
Art/Crafts - scissors/paint brushes, etc.
Things - oddballs like flip flops, a paint spray can (!?), glasses.
Holiday - very few, since most can be used outside of the holiday

I�m a big fan of Interdesign bins (Frig Binz) but did not want the weight since dies weigh a lot, plus wanted to fit two bins side by side in an Expedit cube. So I�m using Container Store medium sized Pure box: 6-1/8" x 9" x 3-5/8" h

https://www.containerstore.com/s/col...RoC2fkQAvD_BwE

Last edited by bjeans; 08-18-2018 at 07:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2018, 09:16 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm in the process ofchanging mine around. So I'm going to describe what I'm doing and why Ithink this will work for me.
<o:p> </o:p>
I started with the artbin box and that was ok but as Ibought more dies it wasn't working so well. Too heavy, a bit of work to flipthrough which what I need to do to remember what I have and to beinspired. When it was basically full the new dies went into the clear DVD sleeve envelopes (I'm using DVD clear sleeve envelopes are cheaper than the onelabeled as craft and are substantial enough) with a piece of cheap whitecardstock that is slightly smaller than the envelope in back of the die. (AKA Jennifer Mcguire for the system, check out her videos) Without thecardstock it was hard to see the dies as I flip through since I would seethrough multiple envelopes. (Magnet comments later.) Any that arefor a stamp set go with the stamps.
[I had originally just used any color cardstock I wasn'tusing up thinking it would be a great way to get rid of it but I found thedifferent colors to be distracting as I flipped through the dies. Thisnegatively impacted me thinking about creating the new card I had in mind so Inow only use cheap white and am changing out those that were not white. Ihave a friend with young children so I'll cut these cardstock pages that Iadmit I'm not going to use down and make little 4.25 by 5.5 books to give themalong with dollar store stickers.]
I seem to forget the artbin box and for me it's not so greatto flip/look through. The envelopes are faster for me to look through soI'm thinking I'm going to pull all those dies in the artbin out and put them inthe clear envelopes. I'll repurpose the artbin case for something; maybemy adhesives maybe brush markers.
I've been agonizing on how to categorize these and decided Ineed to stop thinking and just look at the dies. Just yesterday I tookthe die sleeves out of the storage box and took them to the bed (my craft roomis a spare bedroom so the bed is my large flat space). I then took eachone and put them in a group on the bed based on my impression when I looked atit. I didn't take time doing this; I did a quick impression and drop itinto a group.

What did I think they were similar to? When Iwas done I looked at the groups. The groups that got to be too many (in my mind)I looked at it again and broke it into smaller groups. I ended up with thenesting dies being broken into groups by general shape. For me there weretoo many in the group if I kept all nesting together.
I kept thinking that I was missing items and laterremembered the artbin box. Once again for some reason I just don't thinkabout it. It's even next to the storage I'd put all the other diesin. So, bottom line is the artbin box isn't working for me.
The dies are still on the bed and I'm going to look at themagain later today to decide if the groups need tweaking and what I think thedescription of the category should be. I'll make dividers for my storagebox/bin from some cheap card stock from Wal-Mart because I think I need themall to be the same color--white--so they don't bug me. I'll laminate thedivider cards to make them sturdier. After all I have a big box oflaminating sheets from Sam’s. Works well for cooking recipe cards so itshould be great for dividers. I have company coming in the next few weeks so those dies have to be dealt with as the bed will be needed. Deadlines can be good.
The other thing I'm planning to do before putting them awayis to cut each die and put the cut in the same envelope. I've got a thincard in each envelope and the cut piece will go on the other side of thecard. It will be all I see on that side when I look at it. I needto do this as some dies are not that easy for me to visualize and I think thatwill be more inspiring. I'll do that in colored card as the cardsheet in the envelope is/will be white. It will be easier to see thedie cut against that white. (I'll use up the weird colors I neveruse found in the multiple color packs I've picked up over the years fromMichael's, Joann's, Hobby Lobby, etc. I don't think different colorson this back side will bug me)
To be honest I'm debating making 2 cuts, one for theenvelope and maybe one for a pocket style page in a 3 ring binder page thatI'll hook together with a book ring (like my ink samples). On one handhaving that could be helpful but on the other I'll have to classify it. Maybe by the sorting group that I have with only one group on any page and openspots for future items (which I don't NEED, but will probably want). I'mnot sure what I'll do with that yet. Or if I'll do it now or later, maybe it'sa good winter project.
Magnets. I started without magnets because of cost andweight. That didn't work so well for nesting dies for me. I need tosee them nested as that is more inspiring to me. Jumbled bothered me, itinterfered with thinking about how I could use them. I bought a packageof vent covers from Amazon/Menards/hardware as a small investment to try thisout. I cut those to a little bigger than the largest die. I found Ireally liked it; I am more excited to use the dies when I see them. Itdoesn't bother me that the magnet sheets are different sized in differentenvelopes. In fact I even used some refrigerator magnet business typecards I'd received in advertisements and they work. If I think it might be too small of a piece of magnet I add a bit of double sided tape to the back of the little magnet and tape it to the white card I have in the sleeve. I use the blackside forward as for me as I see them better and I think the magnetic holdis stronger on that side.

The magnet sheets in the artbin box canbe used but they are thicker and will be more work to cut. PLUS I'm hesitatingon cutting them in case I rethink this and want to use the box withoutreinvesting in the artbin magnet sheets. I can always use them in thenext year or so if I find that I want to stay with what I am currently settingup.
I'm thinking I might add magnet sheets into the really smalldies because they fall into the bottom of the envelope and I can't see them ata glance as I flip through the envelopes. In the future I mightdecide to have multiple dies in an envelope when they are similar (in my head)since that is what I find I think of when I look for the dies. For now I haveplenty of clear DVD sleeve envelopes so I'll probably let it be a future tweak.
Hope this makes sense.
Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2018, 10:33 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Barb, you’re thoroughly thinking through everything, so bravo! One suggestion about categories in case it makes sense for you. Keep a “die thoughts” list. When you decide to die cut, jot down the words that come to mind. The words that you repeatedly think of can be categories.

IOW, you’re using what’s in your head, not focused solely on the dies. Because what’s in your head is how you look for dies (and stamps). One person may think “Altenew,” another “Nature” and yet another “Birds.” You could just come up with some major, obvious categories at first. You can tweak later, even if it means a big miscellaneous category for a while. This won’t be one and done.

We’re all different, but if I aim for perfect solutions, I may get frustrated and either won’t start, or leave things a mess. But if I select the main parts of a system - in this case bins, pockets, cardstock and material for dividers - I can get a bunch done, see results, which is motivating, and fine tune later.

BTW, like you, I use magnetic sheets just on infinity dies and a few sets with lots of tiny dies. Pockets have white cardstock to separate dies from samples and sandwich notes, though I’ve tossed most notes. The tiniest samples are adhered to the cardstock. The different in weight of the Pure Box bin with or without magnetic sheets is major, and I’d need to double (?) the number of bins. I’ve reached my bin limit. If I run out of room, dies have to leave, so space is precious.

You’ll get there.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Beth, what you say makes perfect sense. I actually have a list of potential categories that I’d been keeping. It’s on a little piece of paper next to my place at the the dining table. I seem to think of categories as I sit at the table having tea or coffee or watching YouTube videos on my iPad so that’s handy. I jot down words as I think of them. My family, they know I’m crazy so they ignore it... lol.

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2018, 02:57 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

But we know you are 100% sane and very crafty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2018, 05:06 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I store all my dies in thrifted leather agenda planners, the smaller 7 ring 5.5" x 8.5" ones. They're ridiculously sturdy and have zippered edges so nothing can fall out. 9x6 magnet sheets on either side of a thick chipboard make up the pages, with clear sheets between facing dies so they don't bang each other up.

I like that I don't have to fiddle around with pockets to get at any particular die, and putting things back is much easier too. The smaller binder size means it can sit out on the table without hogging all the real estate and isn't so dang heavy as a full sized binder.

I group my dies by general theme (this is a basic shapes page, no stitching or double borders) and then put any smaller sub-themes together, like all my stars are on the right page below. All except the very tiny dies, those sit in their own 2x2 pouch pages so they can't get lost.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2018, 07:38 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

What a nice leafer system, especially the smaller size.

Theory: we tend to be leafers (binders) or flippers (pockets/bins). I was sure I was a leafer but became a flipper due to the speed and seeing samples as zooming through. (Also thought I’d be a scrapbooker and wasn’t interested in dies. Again wrong and wrong.)

I like sets together and labeled, though you can label leafer systems. Having to carefully replace dies in their specific spots on magnetic sheets is slightly annoying though I don’t have many mag sheets.

Flipper or leafer, pick your poison.

BTW, cheap plastic folders make nice die or stamp dividers if your trimmer is up to it. I round corners and laminate cardstock for others since they can be stabby. Idea from Jennifer McGuire.

Last edited by bjeans; 08-19-2018 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2018, 11:20 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Yup, I'm definitely a leafer! I know every stamp/die I have, and generally where they are in their binders. Having them be loose and constantly shifting around in a box of pockets would drive me *mad*. That and I enjoy rearranging my collections as I get new dies and want certain groups of them together they may not have come with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2018, 11:43 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

The dies in my bins don’t shift since there are no earthquakes and they don’t fight among themselves causing ruckuses. They just sit there politely against their little white walls (cardstock). Pick up pocket, plop. (It could be fiddly if I was using thin, larger stamp envelopes.)

Having to pull out one binder from many (depending on the collection size of stamps/dies) unsnap or unzip, leaf through pages - and put back each die in its exact spot - makes me twitchy. If I have 5 dies out, that means 5 times leafing back and forth and finding the little open spot, and making sure they don’t touch. :shock:

I already do that for infinity dies and sets with tons of fiddly dies, but may try pulling off one mag sheet to see how it works. (That will jangle some of your nerves. ;))

Last edited by bjeans; 08-19-2018 at 11:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2018, 01:00 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

By shifting around I meant 'this pocket that was seventh yesterday might be first in the stack today', unless you're putting them back in an exact order each time, which doesn't seem any less fiddly than flipping pages. Similarly finding five open spots isn't any tougher than opening, inserting and closing five pockets. It takes me literal seconds to put my dies away. I'm curious though, why would it matter if dies touch on a page?

All the same, each to their own! I like binders, others like pockets, it's all good. Whatever works for the individual owning the stuff. The important part is that you pick a system that makes personal sense and stick with it, so it's easier to clean up right then and there rather than to leave everything in a mess for Future You.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Ah, I get it. The pocket is just placed into its section. No category is that big, since dies have to fit into two medium sized Pure containers (Container Store). They�re next to each other in an Expedit cube, so the bin doesn�t have to be taken out unless I�m on a flipping what-should-I-use expedition.

Occasionally I tilt the pocket behind the die I remove so a corner sticks up as a place saver, but generally don�t care. A cardstock bookmark could be used if it mattered I guess.

As for the annoyance factor, whether a leafer or a flipper, for me it�s not the amount of time it takes, it�s the activity itself - like for housework. (I�d rather wash dishes for 30 minutes than vacuum for 5.)

Last edited by bjeans; 08-19-2018 at 04:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2018, 10:39 PM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I forgot to mention I cut down the clear (really opaque) thin plastic cutting boards that I get for a dollar for 2 at the flea market in PA once a year. I label them with the label maker to create the name dividers in the box.

I find I (and others) may go through several ways to do a thing before we hit on the "one" that we love.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2018, 05:11 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I forgot to mention I cut down the clear (really opaque) thin plastic cutting boards that I get for a dollar for 2 at the flea market in PA once a year. I label them with the label maker to create the name dividers in the box.

I find I (and others) may go through several ways to do a thing before we hit on the "one" that we love.

Or ten or twelve... Currently on my (at least) ninth incarnation of stamp organization and about my fifth round of dies... Of course, that's over a period of a couple of decades, so it's understandable, right? "New and improved" tools and toys and systems - that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Right now all dies that have matching stamp sets are stored together. I keep my stamps in their original packaging and tuck the dies inside on the back side.

What I'm doing with all my dies that DO NOT have matching stamp sets, is I'm about to buy large sheets / rolls of magnetic wall paper and going to designate a portion of a wall in my craft room to place all my dies against. They will be easily accessible and immediately visible to help inspire creativity without having to dig around. I suspect I'll keep all the words organized, and the shapes together, but even if I didn't - a quick look at the wall and I can grab them and put them right back without any fuss with packaging!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2018, 03:06 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

That sounds really neat if you've got a designated space just for crafting - just be sure whatever magnetic sheeting you buy is strong enough to hold up the dies! Not all sheets are created equal - thicker ones are stronger. The type that's thin enough to run through a printer doesn't do a great job at holding onto dies, especially small ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine773View Post
Right now all dies that have matching stamp sets are stored together. I keep my stamps in their original packaging and tuck the dies inside on the back side.

What I'm doing with all my dies that DO NOT have matching stamp sets, is I'm about to buy large sheets / rolls of magnetic wall paper and going to designate a portion of a wall in my craft room to place all my dies against. They will be easily accessible and immediately visible to help inspire creativity without having to dig around. I suspect I'll keep all the words organized, and the shapes together, but even if I didn't - a quick look at the wall and I can grab them and put them right back without any fuss with packaging!

I toyed with that idea, but I had visions of things falling off and being lost forever (especially when the grands visit - Miss Leila (now 5) has been the Tasmanian Devil since birth. Adorable, but destructive...

I put all of my dies in photo pages in the last re-org (except the very few that were too large to fit) but quickly discovered what a nuisance it was to pull out the tiny dies, so I moved those to trading card pages and now I'm all set!

As far as categories, that would be mostly no... I sort of loosely have the nesting shapes together, and kinda, sorta the seasonal, but I'm (surprisingly) NOT being overly...um...particular...about it...

Last edited by gregzgurl; 08-21-2018 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: correct myself
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2018, 03:20 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Dies were one of the few crafting items where I realised how I would need to store them before I started - nearly everything else in here has been re-organised at least once! Realising that a large die-storage container with magnetic sheets would be extremely heavy when full, I went for A5 4-ring binders (4-ring ones not easy to find, unfortunately). I slip a magnetic sheet inside each clear pocket and keep my dies under the following categories:

Alphabets and words
Nested plain geometric frames and labels
Tags, small labels, panels, fancy frames and labels
Nested fancy frames and labels - Spellbinders
Corners, motifs, edgers, flourishes
Flowers, leaves, miscellaneous (I don't have many dies of 'objects')

There are three binders for Christmas: Snowflakes (to which I'm addicted), Greenery and Miscellaneous.

If a binder became too full, I could split the contents and add another binder quite easily, or move a couple of pockets into a different binder where there is still space - only the label on the outside would need to be changed in either case. Keeping the binders upright on a shelf means there is no chance of tiny dies dropping out of their storage and it's easy to lift out a single binder when I need a particular die.

When I get a new die or embossing folder, I cut or emboss it on scrap card: have two A5 binders for these samples, one for each category. The die-cut samples are kept in the same order as the dies, and I make a note of anything special, such as needing a shim in a certain area, or having to cut in both directions.

Lynda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2018, 03:21 AM   #29  
Inking Addict

I tried several methods of organizing my dies and found I did not like magnetic sheets. I bought the small size Avery Elle notebooks with page protectors. I put a sheet of heavy duty cardstock cut to size (takes 1/2 sheet) in each page then put the dies in their original packaging in the pocket. If they are small you can put 1 set on each side. I have 9 notebooks that are numbered on the spine. They are organized in categories such as words..flowers...leaves...alphabets...animals..fra mes. Etc. then I have a small set of tags clipped together and numbered that tell me just what’s in that number notebook. I find this works very well for me...easy to look through and to remove and replace. I have several carts by my work desk and the notebooks stand vertical on the top shelf of one so they are easy to see and access. The large ones of which I don’t have too many stand at the end of the notebooks in their packaging. I think organization fully depends on ones space and personal preference. I’m 81 so as you can imagine I’ve have a lot of time to work out easy ways of organizing for myself. I have a large room with lots of windows and light and enjoy my card making everyday. I get a lot of ideas from Jennifer McGuire and from reading this site every week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2018, 08:00 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I store my now huge die collection in plastic storage box notebooks filled with magnetic sheets. I bought them from Taylored Expressions. They’re pricey but secure, and they store a lot of dies with a small footprint. I am thinking it’s time to parse down the categories some because I just love buying dies and it’s getting out of hand

The categories I currently use are really useless for a large collection. I do have a list of every die or set, and I read through that to find what I want. And now that I’m almost 60, I am always happily surprised by what I find in my collection!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2018, 01:01 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

So many ways to store. I store mine on magnetic sheets inside plastic cases, stored in narrow basket on my supply shelf. (currently 2 baskets full). I sort them by category:
Flowers/Leaves, (which I have one basket full of just this category), Christmas, Words, Shapes/backgrounds/edgers. I stand them up on end, put a small label across the top of the case and sometimes combine several different ones in a case...just to be sure I am utilizing all of the cases. I identify the source and item by attaching the cut down package labels inside the front of the case with glue dots..a visual. I have used plastic notebook dividers cut down with a tab for each and write the category on it. This makes for quick flip through for me to find the ones I want.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2018, 01:16 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Additionally, I copy each die, stamp or embossing folder and put the paper into a 5 x 7 notebook, 3 ring. I have one for dies, one for stamps, one for embossing folders-punches- and Stencils, one for color swatches and embossing powders. I pull out the small notebooks first when I start planning a card or need something for an art journal page. Flip through similar categories and then go to the baskets to pull the tools needed . As you all say....it all depends on how you think through a project and how you work as to the method that will work for you. I am a bit OCD and can't work with tons of things in my work area at a time. I sort first and pull out what I need.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2018, 12:31 PM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Great ideas here! I have most of my dies in relatively small categories, so I don't have to flip through every pocket with dies to find the one circle set I want--just go to the "Circles/Ovals" section. But I have a rather large "Miscellaneous" section that is getting to be a bear to go through every time I need to find a particular die or set that's filed there! I keep thinking I should break it down a bit more--nothing too crazy--and make more dividers. But the irrational part of my mind keeps saying, "If you add more dividers, you'll have less room for dies!" :twisted: Which the rational part of my mind knows is at least pretty unreasonable, since my dividers are just laminated cardstock, and thus not that thick. I think, typing this out, the rational side of my mind just won the argument--more dividers it will be!

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 08:32 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by staceylovespaperView Post
I store mine in pockets, some with magnets if it is easier for me to grab them. I do cut my magnets down though, when I can. I will use only a 1 inch by 5 inch piece if that works.
They are stored the long way, instead of standing up, due to the storage container I have. I love die-cutting and I have a lot. I also have a Silhouette machine that I use for special words, but die-cuts are my favorite

My categories are:
Rectangles/squares-my most used dies are here
Circles/ovals
Nature- trees, flowers, animals
Shapes-balloons, clouds (because this is how I think of them as opposed to nature)

Hearts/stars-I use these quite a bit and did not want to dig through all my shapes to find them, also I take all the heart dies that might come with other die sets and move them to one pocket

Banners, tabs and tags
Labels-mostly Spellbinder nesting dies
Background (large dies that cover a card front)
Borders
Holiday
Words
Alphabets

This is almost exactly how I categorize mine and in the same manner---on magnetic sheets in plastic pockets---even treat my stars and hearts the same way. Were we separated at birth, or something? I put all my circles, say, in a large SU plastic box and do the same with squares, rectangles, etc. I keep all the labeled cases in a basket that has straight sides and is just the right size. Got them at Joann's (they still carry them).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejluykView Post
So many ways to store. I store mine on magnetic sheets inside plastic cases, stored in narrow basket on my supply shelf. (currently 2 baskets full). I sort them by category:
Flowers/Leaves, (which I have one basket full of just this category), Christmas, Words, Shapes/backgrounds/edgers. I stand them up on end, put a small label across the top of the case and sometimes combine several different ones in a case...just to be sure I am utilizing all of the cases. I identify the source and item by attaching the cut down package labels inside the front of the case with glue dots..a visual. I have used plastic notebook dividers cut down with a tab for each and write the category on it. This makes for quick flip through for me to find the ones I want.

I use baskets with the plastic cases and the magnetic sheets, too. I don't have as many as you, so fewer categories, but I still have lots---mostly shapes and borders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2018, 02:48 AM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

delete
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2018, 02:50 AM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
This is almost exactly how I categorize mine and in the same manner---on magnetic sheets in plastic pockets---even treat my stars and hearts the same way. Were we separated at birth, or something? I put all my circles, say, in a large SU plastic box and do the same with squares, rectangles, etc. I keep all the labeled cases in a basket that has straight sides and is just the right size. Got them at Joann's (they still carry them).
How funny! I think you may be right, the stars and hearts is a tell-tale sign
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2019, 10:01 AM   #38  
Glitter Queen

Default Die Storage

I use the Magnetic sheets from Home Depot & put on cereal box, for sturdiness. I have 4 bins (Dies are my weakness). I use the hard plastic bins, which I found a lot at Goodwill. I tried the plastic Pantry bins, but dies were to heavy had to move out.
I have categories separated again on Cereal box layered Purple cardstock & labeled>
Nesting/Disney/Halloween/Christmas/Birthday/Holidays/Tags
Words/Animals/Baby/Flowers/Alphabet/Boxes/Misc
Reply With Quote Likes