Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-03-2018, 05:15 AM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,397 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Stamping and paper crafting will live on....

So I was reading the "55 and above" thread and I noticed a pattern: most of them began stamping in their 40s and older.

I have seen threads on here lamenting that there are not many younger people paper crafting "anymore", but judging by the 55 and above thread, that has been the norm.

What I take from that is paper crafting is not dying! That is great news!

I suspect women just have more time in their 40s and older so it is more likely they will pick up a new hobby, or engage more in a hobby in which they previously could only dabble.

This is not to say that older women should not introduce and encourage younger women to stamping. That is how arts are passed along. My aunt was in her 40s when she introduced me to scrapbooking and I was 24 at the time. I had kids a year later and did a fair bit of scrapbooking during nap times and after bed time but then had to shelve the hobby when the three were in elementary school (no more naps, later bed times, volunteering, after school clubs, birthday parties, etc.) I am 43 now and they are older teens and I definitely have time for this hobby, more than I ever have.

Anyways, my point is that it seems that this is a hobby that has mostly been picked up in the 40s and later and so we should not think that stamping is dying when we notice not many younger faces participating. Long live stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2018, 05:22 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I agree! And also, it's natural that hobbies accompany expendable income. I certainly couldn't have afforded it to the degree I can now when I was in grad school
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2018, 05:54 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 669 Likes on 421 Posts

when I was in my 20's I had no intentions of becoming a scrap booker but, I have always been a paper and pens collector so, I went into a local scrap store (ha, while my husband was waiting in the car outside) :mrgreen: to see about getting something laminated for him because, I had heard a rumor that they had a machine for that very thing. ( this was a long time ago lol)

and I came back out and told him, WOW I doubt if I can ever do that it looks like a rich people hobby.
packs of stickers were everywhere with (what ever they used to cost) I totally had a price tag shock when I walked out of there.

I love stamps I think for that very reason that you get to use them more than once.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2018, 06:40 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Oh let me tell you, I have been in a stampin up club with younger women then me.

Back in 2007-2008 I lived at Hickam Air Force Base HI. I happened to come across a wonderful demo. One if the top demos for SU. She made those yearly trips because of her sales. I walked into her house one meeting day and there must have been 30 plus people there, it was wonderful. Only went to two meeting at her house as her husband was being transferred.

She recommended on of her new downline demo's I think that what you call them.

Went to this new demo's meetings, well I knew more than she did, it was a beginners class with about 9 other beginner ladies. All younger than me, I was in my 40's. They were all in their mid to late 20's.

All they did the whole meeting was talk about how horrible their kids were, and ragged about their husbands the whole meeting! It got old fast. But I was committed to the year of the club purchases. I skipped a couple months and just placed orders. Then one day the demo decided to quit before the year is up which happened to be my hostess month. That's a whole other story.

Now I'm in a wonderful stamp club and I think I am one of the youngest. And we just have fun, crack jokes, pick on each other and sometimes there is more talking then stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2018, 12:52 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If we compared stamping and paper crafting to other hobbies, we might find hobbies and crafting generally are likely to become more interesting to people when hormones stop raging. But we'd have to look at real statistics; judging from individual experience doesn't always give an accurate picture.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2018, 07:20 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always been into paper crafting.

'Arts and Crafts' were my go-to activities and presents for a lot of my childhood. Now granted it wasn't as sophisticated as a scrapbook or designer card, but I loved tape, coloured paper, glue and rhinestones, sequins and scissors. Some of my favourite gifts were art boxes from my youngest aunt. They were always stuffed with craft room leftovers, the kind of stuff i never got regularly. Googly eyes, paper straws, wooden shapes, velvet cardstock, origami sheets, and the Forbidden Giant Bags of Glitter that May Not be Opened in the House.

Eventually though I was 'too old' to be getting arts and crafts supplies as presents, and hobby shops were too expensive for what I could afford.

I would have killed for even a 1/10th of the stuff you can find these days in dollar stores as a child. We're so, so spoiled. Crafting never left me, but it was dormant for a good number of years. My creativity diverted into drawing and illustration for a good while, then digital art as computers got more capable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2018, 04:01 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 514 Likes on 230 Posts

I think today's kids are too into tech and not into the activities I did as a child. So the love for creating things is never developed in them. I'm making a simple observation and this is a big issue for another time and place.

And like many of us, the time we are in in our lives often keeps us out of creative hobbies, whether it is money or time or both. But when kids are older and we have more disposable income, that's when we can try out those hobbies.

For me? I love it when my grandkids ask to make cards...and even more when my grandson watches his sisters and decides to participate. And I was thoroughly excited when my friend told me how much her young teen daughter loves making cards. She has her own tools, which she bought with money she earned or got as gifts. And my friend even bought supplies from me for her latest birthday.

I do agree that papercrafting won't go away easily. Knitting and quilting and painting are still around!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2018, 05:01 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
I think today's kids are too into tech and not into the activities I did as a child. So the love for creating things is never developed in them.
It can work the other way. I have a friend who is not especially creative although she loves hand made things. There�s a show called Mister Maker that her kids love to watch online and her son in particular (he�s nine years old) regularly makes things he�s seen in the show. They raid my supply of paints etc if they don�t have what they need! He was so proud of his graffiti wall noticeboard (made with scrap cardboard from packing boxes and acrylic paint) it was lovely!

I agree that more time and more disposable income tend to come with age so it�s no surprise that many people doing stamping and scrapping are more **ahem** mature.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2018, 10:39 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 296 Likes on 115 Posts

I think that one reason that a lot of us "older folk" didn't get as involved in this hobby until later is because there was not the availability/proliferation of supplies and/or the communities like this one to support it. Stampin'Up was still selling stamps by a number of companies and baby-stepping into manufacturing their own, Close To My Heart was still D.O.T.S., and there were only a few other companies (PSX, All Night Media, Rubber Stampede). Back then, supplies were mostly sold in stationery stores and we used embossing powders with a hot light bulb or over a toaster. We've come a long way, baby!

That being said, I used to stamp and do all kinds of crafts with my kids when they were little, all of my children and most of their friends have done a variety of artsy/craftsy stuff, and still do. My grandkids create all the time - some with music, some with painting, some with a variety of media. Yes, technology has divided the interest for a lot of young people these days, but there's still a lot of "makers" out there of all ages, too...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2018, 01:27 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I wanted to share a post on FB with you, in a group called Loving all things Lavinia, geared to Lavinia stamps. Fairies and fantasy, for anyone who does not know of them. The actual post is about halfway down the page, if anyone wants to go look, but this pic of some of the images shared, should warm your hearts. It's not the typical audience you'd expect for the theme, all teenage BOYS on a camping trip!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2018, 09:40 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts

I think papercrafting will be around for a long time. Just like knitting, quilting...etc. I stamped and scrapped when my boys were young (they are 25 and 30 years old now) and I'm heartened to see that the girls they date, all did that with their mothers as well and are now getting into it themselves. Of course, they still raid 'Mom's Stash' for supplies, but it's heartwarming to see that birthdays, holiday's and anniversaries are still celebrated with something 'handmade'. Love it more than I can say.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2018, 06:02 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Like any hobby, it needs to be shared with friends. I have been a card maker since 1999 and am still going strong with it. My craft even has it's own room and I love being in there sharing ideas with friends. I organized a card making club that meets twice a month at a Pizza Restaurant for about four hours of fun at each gathering. We have 34 members on our list and usually have a group of 14-20 each time. We take turns making kits, making seven cards at each gathering. We have fun teaching each other techniques and fancy folds. We have lunch and lots of laughs. Friendships have been made that will last forever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2018, 11:13 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

A hobby of any sort takes money and time. When you are young you are busy raising children and that doesn’t leave much money or time but it is an important time and the best time of our lives. I just read that you might not realize it but that’s the happiest time of your life. My grandchildren always loved crafting of all sorts and the girls still do and love learning new things. My children are still too busy with their lives but retirement for them is close so maybe they’ll be making use of all my equipment and supplies. I’m an oldster but I love making cards and learning new ideas from all the online crafters. There is always something new to learn. I can’t imagine it fading away and thanks to the internet we can keep on learning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2018, 03:38 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Dianne.....right on to everything you said. I’m 67 and retired and love having the time to watch videos and go to classes to learn new things. I just plain enjoy playing with my crafting stuff. My 3 year old grand daughter loves my little crafting room. We stamp, water color, and just discuss my stuff. She’s always asking, what’s that for Gaga?
I feel I’m passing a worthwhile hobby down to her and my busy daughter in law thinks it is wonderful. My grand daughter occasionally has a handmade card just for me. I have them all taped to my crafting cart. She is learning the gift of giving. I send a lot of cards and teach a summer school crafting class. Making the Sizzix paper birdhouses is always a hit with the kids using seasonal themes. I share my hobby in different areas making it totally worth my time.
Having worked for 40 years and raising a family, I totally understand the lack of time and money. But I’m having fun now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2018, 05:47 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There have been plenty of times I have lamented the lack of time for scrapbooking/stamping/papercrafting in general. But I have to remind myself that the time is coming when I will have all the time in the world. My youngest child is in high school, so before long there will be plenty of time for all of my hobbies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2018, 05:49 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I had to think hard on when did I start paper crafting...I have always been crafty, not certain why. My mother never did any of that when I was growing up..it was not something that was popular back then. I have always been into something..ceramics, paint by number, coloring books, making handmade gifts or posters. (I am dating myself) I even tried knitting...failed. I used to embroider pillow cases, table clothes, napkins, cross stitch. My mother crocheted, never learned from her (wish I had). I got into scrapbooking when I was in my late 30's..still do it today. Card making and art journaling started about 10 years ago for me. You are correct..it takes money, time, and an interest to document your life, share with others (I send cards to people just because I can) . My kids and grandkids and great grandkids love to look through the scrapbooks and they always get special cards or painted canvas art for birthdays and anniversaries. I have only had my own room since 2003, when we built our current house. The "stuff" in there changes but it is my creative space and I cherish it. I am almost 75 and feel like I am just starting to do my best work..taking classes and focusing on process, products and learning new skills daily. Love all this sharing of information....this group being the best teachers.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #17  
Inking Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ejluyk, I feel the same way. However I�ve never felt that I was creative, or artistic. In fact I�ve always felt that I was not talented. But, there must be something in me that wants to be creative. When my kids were young I made doll clothes for their dolls, little sun dresses for them, did macrame and ceramics, learned to embroider and knit (not well). When I worked full time I had no energy for anything but work and family. Now that I am retired I needed a creative outlet and love card making and playing in my craft room and I�m proud of my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 07:04 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 254 Likes on 137 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I think that one reason that a lot of us "older folk" didn't get as involved in this hobby until later is because there was not the availability/proliferation of supplies and/or the communities like this one to support it. Stampin'Up was still selling stamps by a number of companies and baby-stepping into manufacturing their own, Close To My Heart was still D.O.T.S., and there were only a few other companies (PSX, All Night Media, Rubber Stampede). Back then, supplies were mostly sold in stationery stores and we used embossing powders with a hot light bulb or over a toaster. We've come a long way, baby!

That being said, I used to stamp and do all kinds of crafts with my kids when they were little, all of my children and most of their friends have done a variety of artsy/craftsy stuff, and still do. My grandkids create all the time - some with music, some with painting, some with a variety of media. Yes, technology has divided the interest for a lot of young people these days, but there's still a lot of "makers" out there of all ages, too...

We were a family of 5 living on one teacher's salary, but my kids and I were always crafting. It is amazing what you can make with kids when the Avon lady gives you all her extra catalogs at the end of a campaign. The kids cut out the hearts and made Valentine cards on very cheap construction paper (which I used for making my first cards with a handful of stamps much later on). They always got a new box of crayons when theirs wore way down and we melted the stubs down and painted with them. We did dough art and stuff with leftover balls of yarn people gave us. So much more I won't go into now. I made "scrapbooks" for my kids with photos I took and decorated with pictures from old magazines people would give us. Stamping was what the librarian did on your library card and the chart in the book you checked out. It would have been out of the question as it stands today, but we did do it with vegetables and fruits and leaves and tempura paint. My daughter (47 now) often talks about the joy she felt when she opened her craft drawer and looked at the pack of multicolored construction paper and knew it was hers to do with as she pleased. Now she sews, makes candles and has become a stamper with her own craft room and supplies and we get together at least once a year to stamp together. My older son is a wood worker, patinas metal, draws, loves to do latch hooking and even sews his own shirts! My younger son has done woodworking and is a good artist, but right now he is busy doing more of the crafty things with his two youngsters. I'm so happy I have stamping in my life. It brings me such joy, excitement and even contentment. I hope I can do it until the day I die---with the most stamps, of course, so I can win!
Reply With Quote Likes