Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-15-2018, 06:17 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what masking paper/fluid do u use?

Hi I have a question about masking papers and fluid, I have just finished the card front to a card which will be a pop up card which the effeil towel will pop up. I use the MFT in paris stamp set to create a stamped scene on the front with two pictures that used masking to create one in front of the other this is i think the 2nd time ive done this so still new and anyways i was using inkadinkado masking paper but i found that it did NOT want to stick to the paper and i couldnt work out if it was cos it was heat embossed or not cos when i did it with a layering stamp i did have some difficulty also and that was not heat embossed....

so I gave up with some of the pictures and decied to try the molotow masking fluid i bought. I found this worked a LOT better, but it probably is a lot more expensive i think that the paper IF you could reuse the stamped masks

So my question is what masking paper/fluid do you use and why and are there any tips with the paper? and is there sometimes when the fluid is better than the paper?

thanks for your help. I did notice SSS has their own brand of masking paper has anyone tried this and is it better than the inkadinkado brand?

I also wanted to say i noticed in a jennifer mcguire video that she talks about avery branded repositonable adhesive sheets and I wondered if anyone had tried these? I have not so far been able to find them anywhere in Australia though.

thanks for your help

PS I will post a picture later of what i have done and also some other cards i made too so you can see what i made.

I also wanted to highly recommend the xyron adhesive eraser and the mono sand eraser i got some ink where i did not want it and this eraser erases ink! its incredibly useful when you miss where you want to go by mistake. both these products also recommended by jennifer mcguire. I really like her videos!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2018, 06:25 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I've just bought a roll of Eclipse Masking Paper.
Works really well, and you can use the masks a number of times. I think probably the liquid is better for small areas, or ones awkward to cut out. I've seen that Jennifer Mcguire video, but not tried it, as I'd only just bought the Eclipse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2018, 08:01 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

emck, thanks for asking the question. I too have been unable to get the Inkadinkado papers to work, no stick at all. I thought it was me.

shaz, thanks for the heads-up on the Eclipse, its in my cart right now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2018, 08:05 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I live in the US and haven’t been able to find the Avery repositionable sheets (in stores) either. Probably sold out, haha. I have the molotow and had a hard time getting it off, not sure why. Good to know about the Eclips - will try that next.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2018, 10:10 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
I live in the US and haven�t been able to find the Avery repositionable sheets (in stores) either. Probably sold out, haha. I have the molotow and had a hard time getting it off, not sure why. Good to know about the Eclips - will try that next.

Hey Adriana, here you go: They're full-sheet repositionable labels. I went to them from JM's blog/video link, so can't take credit for finding them. They've been in my Amazon cart but I haven't sprung for them yet.

Amazon.com : Avery Self-Adhesive Removable Laser Id Labels, White, 8.5 x 11 inches, 25 per Pack (6465) : Id Labels Full Sheet : Office Products

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 07-15-2018 at 10:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2018, 10:13 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

emck, I don't do highly complex/wet masking, and haven't done all that much in general, but have used full-adhesive Post-It notes or full-sized Post-It paper when masking stamped images.

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 07-15-2018 at 12:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2018, 10:23 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

As far as wet goes, I find it so much trouble to clean the brush that I tend to use the Masquepen (Masquepen Art Masking Fluid - BLICK art materials) for small areas.
I have a roll of Eclipse, sheets of Frisket (which makes for good enduring masks but you must remember to use StazOn for stamping on it) but 90% of the time I use Post-it notes with the stickiness supplemented if necessy with a two-way glue like Zig or Mono allowed to dry till tacky. I find they generally stand up to several uses.
My Frisket came in sheets but it's similar to this:Frisket 254 x 3.66 m Matt Low Tack Masking Film: Amazon.co.uk: Office Products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2018, 09:47 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I use these full-sheet removable labels to use as masks for my images:

8.5" x 11" Full Sheet Labels - Printable Sticker Paper - No Back Slit - Removable White Matte - OL177

I also ordered these permanent labels to use inside dark and colored card bases, to use to stamp or write my sentiments:

4" x 5" Shipping Label - Wine Labels - OL475
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2018, 03:45 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi guys i am glad im not the only one whos struggled with the inkadinkado paper

I cant order from amazon US anymore they recently stopped sending to Australia!

There is Amazon australia but ive looked and they dont have it.

I might see if i can find the eclipse paper

I have also seem SSS brand and wondered if that was any better?

The full post it notes wont be big enough for some of what i do

Oh and with getting molotow off i have a solution from jennifer McGuire is to use a xyron adhesive eraser to take the molotow liquid off with it works like a charm and also i love the mono sand eraser cos it erases ink if you get a small amount in wrong place its awesome!

In the end i struggled with the paper mask on the Eiffel tower and the building and i use molotow on the rest personally i love how easy molotow is to use and with the adhesive eraser it was super duper easy to remove!!

I masked first the bike so the building went behind then i masked balloon with the molotow and stamped the second balloon

Then i stamped the rest of the images and i used the paper mask on the building and the Eiffel Tower and i used molotow for the rest then i used distress inks for sky and a stencil for clouds
The first step i actually used distress ink for the ground and i used post it tape 1 inch wide to mask this
Then i coloured in using zig brushables markers
The photo is the result this is the hardest thing ive ever stamped

For my dad 70th birthday he loves France and it will be a pop up card on inside but i havent done that yet!

What do u think??

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
I use these full-sheet removable labels to use as masks for my images:

8.5" x 11" Full Sheet Labels - Printable Sticker Paper - No Back Slit - Removable White Matte - OL177

I also ordered these permanent labels to use inside dark and colored card bases, to use to stamp or write my sentiments:

4" x 5" Shipping Label - Wine Labels - OL475

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2018, 03:56 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

emck, just to clarify, Post-Its also come in 8.5x11 full adhesive paper - or at least they did. Later I’ll find the exact name. I think I bought mine at a local artists supply store though.

More importantly, your card looks crisp and amazing, including the blended background and clouds - you nailed it! (I’ve switched to Distress Oxides for most blending - much easier for me.)

Last edited by bjeans; 07-17-2018 at 04:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2018, 05:51 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I have a roll of clear removable contact paper which works great on cards and is easily die-cuttable.

For watercoloring I use the Winsor-Newton masking fluid, and the only problem I have had with it is my own impatience in not letting things dry c o m p l e t e l y before removal. Instead of a brush I use a silicon "color shaper" - they come with different shaped tips, and my favorite for applying the fluid is an angled chisel. The fluid just peels right away from the tip when it's dry - so much easier than cleaning it out of a brush.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2018, 12:03 PM   #12  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Why did I never think of that. Sheesh, I remember when Winsor & Newton launched the Colour Shaper. But I think the only place I've seen them in store recently was in Paris .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2018, 12:12 PM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Sabrina, if this is the type Dini is talking about, Amazon UK sells them, also known as clay shapers. They have several varieties - here’s one: Tinksky Flexible Clay Shaping Pens Fimo Sculpting Shapers Tools 5pcs (Multicolor): Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2018, 12:13 PM   #14  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

And - as someone who loves France and Paris, I think your card looks great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2018, 01:08 PM   #15  

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Sabrina, if this is the type Dini is talking about, Amazon UK sells them, also known as clay shapers. They have several varieties - here�s one: Tinksky Flexible Clay Shaping Pens Fimo Sculpting Shapers Tools 5pcs (Multicolor): Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home
Yes, those guys! And there are sizes to the tips too - I think the ones I have are #2.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2018, 01:18 PM   #16  

These are the ones I have - they are super cheap, but they've lasted 4 years so far.

https://amzn.to/2Lq7WHc
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2018, 05:45 AM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Good on you to stretch yourself to something new!! High five! And this is a good question! I always love supply/tool Q's!

I think it's good. It's clean which when doing backgrounds like the clouds can be difficult.

Dina can you link us for the clear removable contact paper? When I look I am finding all kinds of stuff but not the right kind...Con-Tact is talking about being a water based glue so it is movable...that doesn't sound right...
I will layer full adhesive post its to get what I want at times. Then I scotch tape them together if I want to re-use if I fussy cut it.

But post its are limited to how "wet" you can get them. Stamping is one thing but sprays, etc can be another. Which is why I am interested in that Con-tact. Sounds way more durable!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2018, 05:54 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Dini will surely respond and link to what she uses, but I have removable Contact Paper in kitchen drawers. It’s used for drawer and shelf liners. Examples:

https://www.amazon.com/Tact-Covering...70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/Tact-Creative...70_&dpSrc=srch
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2018, 08:04 AM   #19  

This is the one I have - it's Clear Matte.

https://amzn.to/2uKCLzp
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2018, 09:15 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks so much for all your feedback

Sometimes i find in Australia i am so limited in choices for craft things or the price is far too high

I found the eclipse masking paper in SSS for about 20 dollars US but its a 15 cm /6 inch wide roll thats 10 metres long!!
The inkadinkado paper i think was 12 sheets but theyre small like about 6 inches by 5 inches or something like that!! Maybe slightly more than that and they were like 17 AU which would be maybe 12 US depending on the conversion!!

So to whoever recommended eclipse does it stick really well and work well?? Cos out of all the suggestions i reckon it would be big enough and it will probably last me a lifetime and id like to di another order to SSS in the near future! So this will be in my cart

I do love the molotow i should say for anyone whos not used it ita refillable and u dont need a brush to put it on and also that adhesive eraser from xyron gets it off very easily i bought the refill tube at the same time as buying the 2mm pen and its got a round tip on it and u just press it down a few times and then it will flow

But i do think cost wise it would pay to have both a paper and a liquid mask for different situations

Thank u so much for all your lovely comments about my card front
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2018, 10:36 PM   #21  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Yes, Eclipse sticks well and can be re-used a few times. It's best with sponging, I find watercolor bleeds a little under it. It might be better at resisting bleed if you ran it through the Big Shot, which I've done for Dina's Die-cut masking tutorial.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2018, 11:43 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi what is dinas die cut masking tutorial?
I do have a machine but mine is the cut n boss machine (electric) is that to help it stick or something? Im a tad confused about why u would use your machine for masking something the only thing i can think of isto help it stick or am i way off??

I dont really do watercolouring although i may once ger the clean colour zig markers in August for my birthday
For this current card i did all the stamping and masking first then i used the distress inks and then i used my brushables to colour in the images
Im unsure if thats the right order but its what i did!,

I haven't moved to only using the distress oxides i have about 15 colours but last year about a year ago now i bought the entire set of minis of the normal distress inks and i actually like both! They give a different colour to each other so i think i will eventually get all of both types
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2018, 12:57 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi EMCK, it was me. I have no complaints at all about the Eclipse tape. The sticky is probably slightly more than that of a Post It note, just enough to make sure it stays put, not enough to leave a residue, or damage the cardstock. The size of the roll was a big selling point for me too- it will last me for years! You can put the masks back onto the backing paper & reuse a few times too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2018, 12:58 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Post it notes are great, and I already have them for other purposes. Scrap printer paper and an inch of the miles of washi tape I've collected are also effective and right on hand in my office/craft room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2018, 05:43 AM   #25  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Die-cut masking: Die Cut Masking Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2018, 08:00 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi im erin(emck)

Thanks for this im definitely gonna buy the roll from SSS the next time i go there i find my prob is i want to try everything and i already have loads of stuff its hard not to collect a few more goodies! But i always love when i use something i havent used before and i love it and i think im def gonna use this again or in the case of inks get more colours or try different brands or whatever!!

So far ive loved lawn fawn and hero arts as well as altenew i dont think ill collect all of any one type with exception to distress inks i have bought all the minis but i havent got all the oxides thats why i did this card with the distress inks not the oxides but i reckon over time ill collect the oxides one shop in australia had this one day sale i hestitated too long and the set of 12 was gone! Had been 20 percent off! I did buy a few colours that was individually on sale for the same price though

Thanks for your help with the eclipse paperwork

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Hi EMCK, it was me. I have no complaints at all about the Eclipse tape. The sticky is probably slightly more than that of a Post It note, just enough to make sure it stays put, not enough to leave a residue, or damage the cardstock. The size of the roll was a big selling point for me too- it will last me for years! You can put the masks back onto the backing paper & reuse a few times too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2018, 08:01 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for posting this
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Reply With Quote Likes