Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-16-2018, 07:38 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This feeling of letting go

I'm sure you know that, too.

For example, I LOVE my stamps! Honestly I love everything in my stash it touches my heart, it is good for me. Even if I don't use it (yet). I just like and love to have it.
So, I love my stamps. Also my wooden mounted stamps of course, too. I have a few sets from Stampin' Up and somehow they have to be wood mounted! Because!

Today I took a look at your newest tutorial and for the first time I thought - and felt - I should take the stamps off the wood.

It is a kind of letting go and it feels really good. A kind of freedom, I know it sounds so silly but that's how it is.
To let go something feels so good!
It feels good that (in my mind) it hasen't to be exactly that way anymore.

Did that ever happend to you?
I'm courious

Nelli
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2018, 08:26 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been struggling for a long time really. I have tons and tons of stamps - love them all. I also have a silhouette machine and big shot and dies, etc. But I work full time, help my elderly mother, and just never seem to have any time to enjoy my hobby. It makes me feel guilty - the amount of space it takes up in my home and the amount of money I have invested. Sometimes when I do have time - I am overwhelmed by which item to play with because I have so much. So, back to "letting go" - I am wondering - should I down size big time and get to just a small amount of my favorite stuff? Does anyone else out there feel like this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2018, 10:58 AM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

I did.
And then I realized that buying stuff, hoarding stuff, watching stuff and making cards has nothing, really absolutely nothing to do with eachother for me.
I love to go shopping. I love to buy new things!
I love to bring it home or open the parcel.
That's only one part - a singel part of fun
Then I love to put the new things where they belong. I love to do that!
And I love to know they are here with me.
It is okay to spend money, it is MY money and I can do with it what ever I want!
It is absolutely finde that it takes space, I pay the rent, no one else. So I stay at home and feel happyness

I asked myself so many times, if I should put everything away, there would be so much space!

But no, i rent this house because! of my hobby, because of my pets. That's why I live here in this moment so no, I love my stuff and I keep every single piece

And if I'd like to make a card - I do that.
And if I don't want to, I don't.
Feeling guilty is so... sad. We shouldn't be sad because we have a hobby
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2018, 12:13 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Cainp: Guilt has NO PLACE in our lives - for our hobbies or any other area of our existence! Just sayin'... Yes, we invest money and time and energy in our tools and supplies. Yes, we go through cycles where we use it all the time and times when it lies neglected. Life is all about up and down and in and out and all the rest of it! When my children were young (six of them bouncing off the walls) I was bemoaning my lack of "me" time to my very wise mother, who reminded me that I would go through many stages in my life and, at that moment, "mother of young children" was the stage I was at.

Children grow up and move out, parents get old and need help (been there, done that, as well), illness or accident changes our paradigm - it's all part of this humanity we're working on here. Where you are now is not where you were in the past or where you will be in the future, so making a decision based on a temporary situation is never a good idea.

However, if interest wanes to the point where you feel burdened, that's a whole 'nother story. Burnout can happen with anything - even things we have been passionate about.

One other thought: I, too, get overwhelmed with too many options, so I've set myself a challenge that I'm hoping will help: Select one card from my "favorites" folder and make something inspired by it. I plan to work my way through the whole folder. Maybe something similar would work for you if/when you have time to make something...?

To the OP's point: I have ABSOLUTELY felt the shackles fall off when shedding myself of excess! DH and I moved across the country a few years ago and brought with us only what fit in our car (with the exception of a few boxes of books and a box of punches and dies that we shipped). I sold, gave away and threw away 20+ years' accumulation of EVERYTHING! I was a "craft hoarder" - I had at least fifteen Rubbermaid totes of fabric, boxes and bins of trims and buttons, drawers and drawers of Christmas do-dads and collectibles and all manner of kitchen stuff for every season imaginable. I kept a few things that were nearest and dearest to my heart and let the rest go. Fast forward to today, and I can't even tell you what miss, because I don't miss ANY of it!

That move was a HUGE paradigm shift for me! Even though I have very little compared to what "used to be", I often feel stifled and as though I have too much. My husband is the one keeping me from getting rid of things at this point. I almost have him talked into a Skoolie (Google it), and then I can get rid of everything but the most essential stuff.

More to the OP's point: I started unmounting a year or so before we moved and was absolutely amazed at how freeing it was, and how much space it saved! Never looked back - I even rip the rubber off of my brand new cling-foam mounted stamps! Photopolymer or totally nekkid rubber, please and thank you... ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2018, 12:36 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I came to stamping probably around the time that wood mount was being knocked off the “norm” perch it had for so long. Most of my stamps are cling mount, bare rubber or photopolymer so I’ve never had that moment of liberation. I have, however, dodged spending with a couple of companies whose designs I would have liked but who only sold wood-mount. That’s just way too much space required, I have a handful of WM I bought right at the start of my stamping journey or received as part of a DT but I simply refuse to buy any more. If it’s not available as bare rubber, cling or photopolymer I just move right along!

Cainp, I agree with Sue - life is not static, you may well have more time/inclination in the future. Don’t feel guilty about your hobby, even if you’re not doing it as often as you once did right now. If you’re feeling overwhelmed by too much stuff, you could try putting just a few things on your desk or an easily-accessible box and challenge yourself to use just those things. Once you’ve made one or two projects with them, swap them for some other stuff from your stash.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2018, 04:24 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Short answer, yes I have JUST experienced a satisfying freeing of getting rid of stuff! Not much craft related, more of a whole house we have had stuff stored in for our seniors as the lost their health and had to move, all since have passed away. Then we have our own excess that would go to ‘the other house’ , now my daughter is moving away and has a household of her own to store/purge or pack.

So we decided enough was enough and had 2 weekends of garage sale, HUGE! In between we have been purging, filling dumpsters with what has deteriorated and is utterly unsellable and useless. So far we have made $3850 with what sold, as well as giving lots away. IT FEELS SO GOOD!!

I did put a few stamp sets in, didn’t sell many and will add a box of that to the trailer load we are donating to a charity store. As I look around now, I see what we love and or use, very little extra junk We are antique enjoyers so our home is filled with those items but not as many now, and not what we don’t feel attached to in some way.

In 10 years we will have to have another conversation about downsizing the house and will have more to do more, but not yet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Cainp: Guilt has NO PLACE in our lives - for our hobbies or any other area of our existence! Just sayin'... Yes, we invest money and time and energy in our tools and supplies. Yes, we go through cycles where we use it all the time and times when it lies neglected. Life is all about up and down and in and out and all the rest of it! When my children were young (six of them bouncing off the walls) I was bemoaning my lack of "me" time to my very wise mother, who reminded me that I would go through many stages in my life and, at that moment, "mother of young children" was the stage I was at.

Children grow up and move out, parents get old and need help (been there, done that, as well), illness or accident changes our paradigm - it's all part of this humanity we're working on here. Where you are now is not where you were in the past or where you will be in the future, so making a decision based on a temporary situation is never a good idea.

However, if interest wanes to the point where you feel burdened, that's a whole 'nother story. Burnout can happen with anything - even things we have been passionate about.

One other thought: I, too, get overwhelmed with too many options, so I've set myself a challenge that I'm hoping will help: Select one card from my "favorites" folder and make something inspired by it. I plan to work my way through the whole folder. Maybe something similar would work for you if/when you have time to make something...?

To the OP's point: I have ABSOLUTELY felt the shackles fall off when shedding myself of excess! DH and I moved across the country a few years ago and brought with us only what fit in our car (with the exception of a few boxes of books and a box of punches and dies that we shipped). I sold, gave away and threw away 20+ years' accumulation of EVERYTHING! I was a "craft hoarder" - I had at least fifteen Rubbermaid totes of fabric, boxes and bins of trims and buttons, drawers and drawers of Christmas do-dads and collectibles and all manner of kitchen stuff for every season imaginable. I kept a few things that were nearest and dearest to my heart and let the rest go. Fast forward to today, and I can't even tell you what miss, because I don't miss ANY of it!

That move was a HUGE paradigm shift for me! Even though I have very little compared to what "used to be", I often feel stifled and as though I have too much. My husband is the one keeping me from getting rid of things at this point. I almost have him talked into a Skoolie (Google it), and then I can get rid of everything but the most essential stuff.

More to the OP's point: I started unmounting a year or so before we moved and was absolutely amazed at how freeing it was, and how much space it saved! Never looked back - I even rip the rubber off of my brand new cling-foam mounted stamps! Photopolymer or totally nekkid rubber, please and thank you... ;)

You made me google skoolie. Do you want to travel, or just stay in one place? Is it cheaper than an RV?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2018, 05:02 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
You made me google skoolie. Do you want to travel, or just stay in one place? Is it cheaper than an RV?
Definitely travel! The whole reason I want to do a Skoolie rather than an RV is because I haven't come across an RV that I liked well enough to pay the price for, and because they cost as much as a house but depreciate instead of building equity. You can go all crazy with a Skoolie, too - I've seen them all the way up in the $200,000 range - but you can get it nicely fitted-out for well under $20,000. Since DH and I both do construction and I do interiors, we can do most of the work ourselves and probably do the whole shebang (including buying the bus) for around $10,000. We're very close to retirement and can stretch our dollars a lot farther without high housing costs. Since we have kids in four states, we can travel around and not annoy any one of them for too long, plus do our own thing, too. (Sorry about the thread hijack...)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2018, 05:06 PM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

�� wow.
I wish my hubby was a handyman.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2018, 11:12 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I stopped stamping nearly 2 years ago now. I gave away soooo much! Donated two van loads of gorgeous 12 x 12 papers and cardstock to a local school. No lie it was really that much. I gave away every single embossing folder I owned along with so may stamps, dies and punches you wouldnt believe it. Then a couple months ago I got the itch to get back in the stamp room. So far the only thing that I miss is my embossing folders but honestly...I just bought a bunch of new ones. I am making cards a lot these days and loving it like I used to. Its funny how life goes in cycles. I am just so happy I didnt give more stuff away. You wouldnt know to look at the stuff I have that anything is gone...lol. Hi Sue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2018, 04:38 AM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

That’s another wow. Two van loads? Yikes!
Did you also leave SCS? I certainly remember your picture. Didn’t you do something with clear bags?
Glad your itch came back!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2018, 05:21 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I stopped stamping nearly 2 years ago now.
Hi Amber!!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2018, 06:29 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you all for your words of wisdom...it brought tears to my eyes. Sorry, guess I'm feeling a little emotional these days. The people here are the most thoughtful, kind, caring, giving individuals and I'm so grateful for this site. Thanks again for the encouragement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2018, 06:44 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

cainp,
I know what you are feeling....hugs from my side of the computer screen. Sometimes I want to close up shop. But I really do enjoy giving something handmade away...so sometimes, it lays dormant...or I work in spurts. I can't create daily because of other things going on in my life.

I know you'll make the best decision...and of course, you can always come back to it..and get new items as someone earlier stated!

Hugs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2018, 09:44 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

It took a lot of time and thought before I unmounted all of my stamps and wheels.
I did the wheels first and it turned out wonderfully. I gained so much space and I organized them in a binder by theme. So much easier to find and use. Then about a year later I took the final plunge and began unmounting all of my wood mount stamps.
I needed the space and I wanted to be able to find my sets quicker. It took me several years to complete the project. I am really happy with the result. FYI-I have over 400 stamp sets. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I stopped stamping nearly 2 years ago now. I gave away soooo much! Donated two van loads of gorgeous 12 x 12 papers and cardstock to a local school. No lie it was really that much. I gave away every single embossing folder I owned along with so may stamps, dies and punches you wouldnt believe it. Then a couple months ago I got the itch to get back in the stamp room. So far the only thing that I miss is my embossing folders but honestly...I just bought a bunch of new ones. I am making cards a lot these days and loving it like I used to. Its funny how life goes in cycles. I am just so happy I didnt give more stuff away. You wouldnt know to look at the stuff I have that anything is gone...lol. Hi Sue.
HI AMBER!!!!! Has it been that long already, really? Time flies, whether you're having fun or not, lol...

I can attest to the fact that Amber could, indeed, give away van loads of stuff and not make much of a dent. I've been on the receiving end of her generosity several times. I'm glad to hear you're back in the stamp room again! We'll have to get together again and catch up...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

YEAH! You're back. I've missed you. ~ Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2018, 01:07 PM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampindoeView Post
It took a lot of time and thought before I unmounted all of my stamps and wheels.
I did the wheels first and it turned out wonderfully. I gained so much space and I organized them in a binder by theme. So much easier to find and use. Then about a year later I took the final plunge and began unmounting all of my wood mount stamps.
I needed the space and I wanted to be able to find my sets quicker. It took me several years to complete the project. I am really happy with the result. FYI-I have over 400 stamp sets. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

Curious to know how you use the unmounted wheels, since they were made to be rolled. I�m thinking of just getting rid of mine. Most of the ink cartridges for them have dried up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2018, 02:03 PM   #19  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Curious to know how you use the unmounted wheels, since they were made to be rolled. I�m thinking of just getting rid of mine. Most of the ink cartridges for them have dried up.

I use my unmounted ones on a long clear block, and get far more use from them, as well as being able to use any colour of ink I want. I'd say I have about 15 of them on Eazy-mount in one clamshell case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 358 Likes on 197 Posts

Mine are bare rubber. Just add double sided tape to the back and adhere to a long clear block. So much easier to use than on the wheel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2018, 02:51 PM   #21  
Watercolor Wizard

I think that will free up an entire drawer in an Iris cart. I’m on it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

Quote:

Curious to know how you use the unmounted wheels, since they were made to be rolled. I’m thinking of just getting rid of mine. Most of the ink cartridges for them have dried up.

As others have said above, the stamp comes off the wheel very easily. I used an x-acto knife to cut the seam of the wheel and then pull off the rubber. Just "roll" any excess glue off the stamp with your fingers to get to the bare rubber.

I then wrote the name of the wheel in Sharpie on the back. I did this for all me wheels-regular, jumbo and builder.

I kept one regular handle, one jumbo handle, one regular wheel and one jumbo wheel in case I wanted to use them as a wheel again. I have used double stick tape to re-adhere them to a wheel to use with the cartridges.
Mainly I use them by themselves like a regular stamp.

They are easy to use with a MISTI, too.

Here's a card I made using the unmounted rubber with the Misti:
SUO CCC16 AUG-Card Penguin Party by stampindoe at Splitcoaststampers

Last edited by stampindoe; 07-17-2018 at 04:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2018, 05:15 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Chiming in on the wheel thing: I was/am the MOST wheel-challenged person to ever pick up one of the darned things! Even with a guide I couldn't roll it straight! However, I totally LOVE them as "strip stamps" (HA! - nekkid rubber/strip - get it? I crack me up sometimes...) PLUS, you can use multiple colors on one stamp, which you could never do on a wheel (or, at least, not very easily). I did that on this card: All That Jazz by gregzgurl - at Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2018, 06:40 PM   #24  
Watercolor Wizard

Thank you ladies, for the instructions and for the samples (and of course the joke). Sue, I think You’ve been in Vegas too long.
I am indeed convinced. I love both of your cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2018, 08:42 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Default I'm wheel-challenged too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Chiming in on the wheel thing: I was/am the MOST wheel-challenged person to ever pick up one of the darned things! Even with a guide I couldn't roll it straight! However, I totally LOVE them as "strip stamps" (HA! - nekkid rubber/strip - get it? I crack me up sometimes...) PLUS, you can use multiple colors on one stamp, which you could never do on a wheel (or, at least, not very easily). I did that on this card: All That Jazz by gregzgurl - at Splitcoaststampers
Sue, Like you I could never get a straight line even with the guides and they have been sitting in a drawer for years. Time for me to take them off the wheels and make them "strip stamps" - maybe I'll even use them then!

Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2018, 04:29 AM   #26  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Stampindoe mentioned having kept a couple of wheels. I kept a jumbo one too...but not in case I ever want to use it with stamps again: that ain't going to happen. But - stick some bubble wrap round it and it's great for inking up and using as a roller to add a bit of interest to backgrounds, either stand-alone or mixed media.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2018, 04:55 AM   #27  
Glitter Queen

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default We let go, but stamping was too important

DH and I are now retired. A few years ago I sent a private message to friends and family, asking if they wanted to be on an email list for our sale. I ended up with maybe 130(?) people wanting to buy our stuff.
We began downsizing- it was super easy this way, first one to pay claimed the item. Must pick up within a week. No strangers, all were folks we knew.
As for my crafting supplies, I pulled out a bit- but not a lot. This is my THING. My card making, scrapbooking, and yes, sewing- kids are grown so it�s what I do.
We have moved since the sale (three years of purging stuff via email- spring cleaned a few times each year) and now I have the studio of my dreams. It�s not fancy, but I love it. IKEA delivery of bins next week will make it finally perfect. Will I purge more? Yep. I will. Just like before, but probably more. Visual chaos is a huge problem for me now so if I can�t put it away in a bin or drawer, it�s going to have to go.

I love the idea of unmounting wood block stamps, so that will start today.

I love the idea of cleaning as I create- why not? I do the very same thing when cooking so it makes sense.

Love this topic and the encouraging ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2018, 05:11 AM   #28  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I doubt there is much under the sun related to stamping someone here has not gone through, so one can always find a sympathetic/empathetic ear if not actual advice and compassion. I love this place

I have not made the leap yet to "de-wood". I have a LOT of wood stamps. So far I have just been purging the ones I am not or can not use. (some are too hard for me to color) whole.

I would say in general freeing yourself of rules (not counting anti social) is often a good thing. I am doing it more as I age and don't give a fig anymore. Small ones like in a craft room...count too!

Maybe think of it like a scarf....you like to wear them the way you like to wear them. Same kind of thing. Store your things the way it makes you happy!

[QUOTE=sprtchick;21688708]I stopped stamping nearly 2 years ago now.

Wow. I cant believe it is that long either but I ditto that you have been missed. Glad to see you Yay!

Having seen pics of Amber's craft space, I will agree she had a LOT of paper, but you also made a LOT of cards Amber!!! I was always way more in awe of that than your massive supply stash. (you could see them in her gallery) Volume and good looking. Not an easy trick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2018, 06:44 AM   #29  
Cardstock Collector

Default "De-wooding" my stamps

Last October, I took the blocks off all my wood stamps(about 450), backed them and proceeded to put all my stamps (cling, rubber-mount,ALL OF THEM) in pocketed clear binder sheets by category, i.e., people, birds, butterflies, borders, flourishes, various categories of florals, birthday, words, quotes, Christian messages and inserted them in 3" 3-ring notebook binders. I created a notebook binders for stencils. I made a copy of each embossing folder imprint taping them to a wall so I could readily see them ("out of sight, out of mind") and then numbered my stencils (currently have 109) and put them in order in open boxes. I have 12" x 12" boxes labeled for specific papers- Anna Griffin, Graphic 45 Botanicals, Birthday, Christmas, Valentine, etc., each of the seasons, Heartfelt Creations. I also use these 12" x 12" label boxes that are clear (from Michaels) for "large ribbons", "twine", alpha/numbers, "chipboard", etc. I even have my 8" x 11" magnetic sheets for dies in clear sheets in 3" 3-ring binders. It took over a month of steady work but I love my stamping room now & for the first time I can actually find things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2018, 09:12 AM   #30  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

Thanks Sabrina, for the tip about the wheels and bubble paper!

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I think most of us are hoarders of some sort or on our way... I have just recently been able to access my craft room after months of not being able to get to in there. I’ve started unmounting my wood stamps. I resisted for a long time. It is just so easy to pick them up and use them, but I really needed the room. and it is a good feeling to see how much room it is creating in my room!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2018, 01:13 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a friend who is really struggling with being retired. She was, in her own words, "a workaholic." Now that she is retired, she laments that she has no hobbies, nothing of interest with which to occupy her hands and her brain. She is envious that I am so happy with my creative paper crafting and stamping. I can't even imagine my retirement years without all the stamps, papers, tools and supplies I have collected over the years!! No feelings of guilt or remorse about all the inventory that surrounds me!! I enjoy doing craft shows and special orders (cards and highly embellished photo albums) and the joy on the face of a recipient of one of my gorgeous floral cards fills my heart with creative joy! I tell my friends that I live in a working craft studio with furniture and me crammed in!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2018, 01:31 PM   #33  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristy TyraView Post
I�ve started unmounting my wood stamps. I resisted for a long time. It is just so easy to pick them up and use them, but I really needed the room. and it is a good feeling to see how much room it is creating in my room!

Ditto. I love seeing how much room it saves. I can�t believe how much room it saves. But, I get bored, so I do it in spurts.
Love seeing those clam shell cases in the recycling bin. (Mailed a bunch to someone too.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2018, 04:42 PM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

I will never unmount my wood stamps because
1. I like wood mount
2. I have plenty of room
3. I haven't bought would mount since SU went to cling, so I'm not adding to my wood stamps.
4. Too. Much. Work!!!!

Within in the last year I've finally felt I have enough or possibly too many stamps and way too much dsp. I'm just not buying (much) anymore. Feels good!

I am one who doesn't feel guilty. I've always only made about one card per month except for holidays......it is what it is!

Right now I love to go to my SU Demo's workshops ( yes, I have three!). I get to hang with my stampy friends and create...it's so Fun! This gives me lots of cards, so I don't really have to create from my stash. I just don't worry about it.

When the mood strikes my stamps will be waiting!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 07-18-2018 at 04:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2018, 04:54 PM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

Oh also, I feel like you.....I love my stamps, my paper, I love everything too. I also feel it touches my ❤️ And it's good for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2018, 02:36 PM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quoting InkyNelli: And then I realized that buying stuff, hoarding stuff, watching stuff and making cards has nothing, really absolutely nothing to do with eachother for me.
I love to go shopping. I love to buy new things!
I love to bring it home or open the parcel.
That's only one part - a singel part of fun
Then I love to put the new things where they belong. I love to do that!
And I love to know they are here with me.
It is okay to spend money, it is MY money and I can do with it what ever I want!
It is absolutely finde that it takes space, I pay the rent, no one else. So I stay at home and feel happyness

I asked myself so many times, if I should put everything away, there would be so much space!

But no, i rent this house because! of my hobby, because of my pets. That's why I live here in this moment so no, I love my stuff and I keep every single piece

And if I'd like to make a card - I do that.
And if I don't want to, I don't.
Feeling guilty is so... sad. We shouldn't be sad because we have a hobby

1000 times this!

Last edited by 2Tibetans; 07-19-2018 at 02:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2018, 05:45 AM   #37  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I will never unmount my wood stamps because
1. I like wood mount
2. I have plenty of room
3. I haven't bought would mount since SU went to cling, so I'm not adding to my wood stamps.
4. Too. Much. Work!!!!

Within in the last year I've finally felt I have enough or possibly too many stamps and way too much dsp. I'm just not buying (much) anymore. Feels good!

I am one who doesn't feel guilty. I've always only made about one card per month except for holidays......it is what it is!

Right now I love to go to my SU Demo's workshops ( yes, I have three!). I get to hang with my stampy friends and create...it's so Fun! This gives me lots of cards, so I don't really have to create from my stash. I just don't worry about it.

When the mood strikes my stamps will be waiting!
Points 1-4 I could have written every word! I completely agree I do make several cards a month but only when the mood strikes, rarely because I have to. I don�t buy much any more either, I have a great variety and am satisfied with my stash. Except that I had to try SU Soft Sea Foam, which I love ❤️
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2018, 05:19 AM   #38  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I love my mounted stamps and since I don't have that many I will not be mounting them, that being said.....

I pulled one out of the drawer to use the other day and as I was stamping with it a light bulb went off in my head. I suddenly realized as I was looking down to use it that it wasn't a wood mounted stamp at all. It's mounted on clear acrylic and I have around 10 of them in various sizes. Some are rubber with cushion and a few are clear polymer(?), why hadn't I ever made the connection before. If I were to unmount them I'd have more handles to use and they are really nice quality thick acrylic mounts. Probably better than most of the ones I'm using now.

Now there is a war going on in my head, unmount them or leave them as is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2018, 06:24 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
I love my mounted stamps and since I don't have that many I will not be mounting them, that being said.....

I pulled one out of the drawer to use the other day and as I was stamping with it a light bulb went off in my head. I suddenly realized as I was looking down to use it that it wasn't a wood mounted stamp at all. It's mounted on clear acrylic and I have around 10 of them in various sizes. Some are rubber with cushion and a few are clear polymer(?), why hadn't I ever made the connection before. If I were to unmount them I'd have more handles to use and they are really nice quality thick acrylic mounts. Probably better than most of the ones I'm using now.

Now there is a war going on in my head, unmount them or leave them as is.

That war is where most of us un-mounted folk started. Once you defect from the mounted camp, you'll never go back - just sayin'...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2018, 09:10 AM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampindoeView Post
As others have said above, the stamp comes off the wheel very easily. I used an x-acto knife to cut the seam of the wheel and then pull off the rubber. Just "roll" any excess glue off the stamp with your fingers to get to the bare rubber.

I then wrote the name of the wheel in Sharpie on the back. I did this for all me wheels-regular, jumbo and builder.

I kept one regular handle, one jumbo handle, one regular wheel and one jumbo wheel in case I wanted to use them as a wheel again. I have used double stick tape to re-adhere them to a wheel
to use with the cartridges.
Mainly I use them by themselves like a regular stamp.

They are easy to use with a MISTI, too.

Here's a card I made using the unmounted rubber with the Misti:
SUO CCC16 AUG-Card Penguin Party by stampindoe - at Splitcoaststampers

This is exactly what I did with my wheel stamps. I never had any cartridges---just rolled them across the stamp pad of my choice. I have left all my rubber stamps on wood, as I prefer it that way. I even put unmounted stamps on wooden blocks given to me by my "un-mounting" friends, and I don't buy anything but rubber as the polymer does not work for me. I have ample storage, so if I really "have to" have something new and there is no room to store it, something else must go, or I don't get it. This prevents me from having so much I don't use that would necessitate a huge purge. So I guess I'm constantly keeping myself in check, which is also freeing on a small scale, just more often!
Reply With Quote Likes