Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tape Runners

Hi. I am a new member so I hope I'm posting this in the right area. I joined this forum especially because I am puzzled by tape runners and hope someone can shed some light on these annoying little tools. Am I the only person who cannot seem to get a tape runner to actually work for the entire life of the tape? I have bought at least 3 or 4 different brands of tape runners. They seem to work ok at first but before long I have trouble. They just drag across the paper and do not dispense the sticky tape. I try rolling the little wheel up so a sticky area is coming into contact with the paper but that doesn't seem to work. When I see people on YouTube zipping tape runners down their cardstock it looks so easy. What am I doing wrong??
TIA
Sandee
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2018, 10:42 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Sandee and welcome to Splitcoaststampers!

We've all had problems with tape runners at one time or another. What tape runner do you have? That will help us give you specific answers.

To get you started, here's a link to the ATG Questions thread in the Tool and Product Talk forum. There are helpful hints about loading, using and best deals for replacement tapes. Here's a link to a site with some good tips, Tips for using tape runner type adhesives.

Here are links to some other forums and threads that will help you navigate the site.

Start Here Forum - A place to introduce yourself and browse through threads.
Just Getting Started??? Here's a post FULL of helpful links!

Splitcoast Challenges includes Challenges 101 and links to the challenge sub forums.

Hope to see you post your creations. We love seeing new cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Hi Sandeelee!

Carla has given you some great resources.

I just wanted to say "Welcome" and commiserate a little. I always had trouble with Mono Adhesive and many of the small tape runners. I just could not get them to work for me. Then I got myself an ATG, which many people think is heavy and cumbersome, and was able to tape up a storm!

So, perhaps you need to try a few before you find the one that works best for you.

Good Luck!

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Sandeelee! Welcome to SCS! One thing that used to always cause frustration for me was the little adhesive "boogers" that collect alongside the rollers. That often was the cause of the runner not working properly. Try and remove them, if there are any, before you start your project to see if that helps any.

The two main adhesives I use are my Scotch brand ATG tape runner (you can get a pink version, a wee bit smaller than the pro version) with a 50% coupon; and Tombow 2-way glue in the green and white bottle, which you can pick up just about anywhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Those are my favorites too, Betsy. One tip I learned from a friend was to apply glue stick over the tape when placing your layers. It gives you some time to move the paper when it's crooked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #6  
Glitter Queen

That is a great tip, Carla. I will have to try it if I am ever able to get my tape runner to work again. Right now I just have an inexpensive Elmer's tape runner but as I mentioned, I have tried I'd guess at least 4 different brands. They all have stopped working long before they ran out of tape. I know a lot of people use the ATG runners but I was hoping I could find a reliable portable runner that wouldn't take up too much room. In the meantime I will just stick to my Tombow liquid glue which never lets me down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome! All I can say is that I hate tape runners and never use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2018, 12:30 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

The Tombow glue is great. My only frustration is how quickly it sets. I have a tendency to get my layers on crooked on the first go. :( That's why I appreciated the glue stick over the tape hint so much!!

I used a number of the small inexpensive tape runners prior to buying the Scotch ATG. I had decent results from the Duck brand, best results were from the Tombow tape runner. I believe it is the same as the Stampin Up Snail tape, Snail refills fit the Tombow dispenser.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2018, 12:27 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Welcome!

If it helps any I use the ATG tape without the gun. You can roll the tape out on your cardstock and lift the backing off. A sweet lady, in the framing department, at Hobby Lobby taught me that trick. Hope that helps. I got rid of my gun a couple of years ago.

I use Elmer's runner too. I noticed tape runners work better on small jobs.

If you don't want to deal with an ATG there is Scor-Tape, 3M Double Sided Tape, the yellow one with the tape dispenser. Duck brand is really good too. Both can be bought at WalMart in the office section where they keep the tape. Don't go to paper crafting. It won't be there.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2018, 03:19 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I love tape runners! For a long time I used Ad-Tech and switched to Elmer's because I could buy them at Wal-Mart. I was 60 miles away from a Michael's or Hobby Lobby and that's where I bought Ad-Tech.

About 5 years ago I bought the big pink ATG. It has a learning curve but doesn't t take too long to get comfortable with it.

I've read many times how stampers dislike tape runners as they don't hold cards together well ( not including the ATG as they seem to be a super adhesive). I have really good luck with my small tape runners. I use the ATG at home but take my Elmer's to stamp workshops.

My cards made with Elmer's or Ad-Tech runners literally hold together for years. At least four to five years. I have always used a lot of adhesive tho. I go around all four sides and diagonally throughout the inner potion. I don't know if that's why they hold up so well or if humidity, etc. plays a part in cards falling apart in different areas if the country,

The only thing I ever have happen with the Elmer's is once in awhile i seem to get a bad one and it stops rolling. I have to take it out and turn the little wheel to get it going again. It seems to fold back on itself. Otherwise I have good luck.

For me glue doesn't work well as I always get some on my hands and it drives me crazy!!!

Hope you find something that works well for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2018, 04:53 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

You know, I’ve often wondered about the adtech but just didn’t want to try yet another runner. Good to know it’s a good one and holds up well.
I haven’t gone the ATG route because I would rather use something that doesn’t take up so much real estate on my desk. And I’m like a five year old when it comes to liquid glue. Apparently, I’ve got issues... lol

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2018, 08:41 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Welcome!

If it helps any I use the ATG tape without the gun. ...

I did it that way for years, until one day I just bought myself the dispenser on a whim with a 50% coupon. It is very easy to use on its own, just takes a small learning curve.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2018, 08:42 AM   #13  
Glitter Queen

I just want to thank everyone who took the time to answer my thread. Because I have had such bad luck with tape runners I was beginning to think it was just me. Maybe it's because I'm left handed. lol. Anyway, it is good to know I'm not the only one who has problems with them. And I got some great ideas if I want to try again with another brand. I took my Elmer's runner apart, advanced the wheel but it still doesn't seem to want to work. Oh well.

Again, I really appreciate all your help & suggestions. This is a great site because of the great people. Thank you.

Sandee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2018, 09:05 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I pretty much gave up on tape runners years ago. I had the same issue where I felt like I wasn’t applying all the adhesive, and found them just to be very expensive.

I now use Scotch double sided tape, or mono liquid glue most of the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2018, 09:08 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have trouble with small tape runners of all kinds. I never thought about it being because I’m left handed, could be the angle. They always seem to jam up. Haven’t tried the ATG as I have small hands and it takes up a lot of room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2018, 10:16 AM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

I have and use the ATG gun. It never occurred to me that one could just use the tape refills for it on their own. Great tip!

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I can’t use large ATG’s - the balance is off and they hurt my hand - which has a minor but permanent injury and some arthritis. My favorite small (but nicely wide) Pink Tombow tape runner was being discontinued but I ordered a ton of refills just before it happened, so I’m set for a few years.

But I wanted to see what else was out there for the future, and think the one Jennifer McGuire found in replacement for her pink Tombow is excellent. There are actually two, one slightly larger, and that one is the most comfortable for me.

Update: Favorite Adhesive + Giveaway - Jennifer McGuire Ink

What I like about both of them is 1) smoothness, and 2) that assuming you don’t press hard, you can reposition paper if careful, but paper holds well.

I’ve also used other Tombow ones and they’re fine. If I need something super strong I’ll use one of those, but more often Scor-Tape - like for holding boxes or mini books together.

Good luck!

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I use tape runners - and prefer them over other types of glue and tape. However, I only use dot tape style (example: Amazon.com: Kokuyo Dotliner strong adhesive Tape Glue: Home Improvement). I find that the dot type gums up the least and it's easy to remove by rubbing it off. Jennifer McGuire has a video on it:

There are several other brands and options for dot adhesive style such as Plus (Amazon.com: Noble Plus Permanent Honeycomb Glue Tape Dispenser-.33" X52.5'), Tombow (Amazon.com: Tombow 62147 Mono Adhesive Dots Dispenser Permanent, 1/3-Inch by 39ft: Arts, Crafts & Sewing) and Scotch (Amazon.com: Scotch Adhesive Dot Roller Value Pack .31 Inches x 49 Feet, 4-Pack (6055BNS): Office Products). I've tried all 4 tape runners I've linked to in this post and they worked just great. There are other cheaper options as well, but they might be less sticky.

One thing to note with dot adhesive is that you really want to press your layers together well when you want them to be permanently fused. I've never had any issues with things falling off my cards and I've been using them for 5 years now. But I have watched a couple of review videos where the person didn't do that and they were able to pull the adhered piece off immediately after applying - giving the glue a bad rating as a result.

I find the dot adhesive to be similar to the wet glue I've used (Tombow) where you have a little wiggle room to reposition things as long as you don't press your layers together much. So, it's definitely my go-to adhesive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2018, 10:48 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Ah, we posted at the same time and linked the same video, Beth! Great minds think alike.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2018, 10:55 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeCardseaView Post
Ah, we posted at the same time and linked the same video, Beth! Great minds think alike.

Ha! Not only was I going to say we posted the same suggestion within a minute of each other, I was also going to say “great minds.” ;)

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2018, 11:07 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

By the way, I also agree that the the old pink Tombow or the Kokuyo stick excellently after being pressed down. And that the fact that they *can* be pulled up after adhering paper is a definite bonus for people who need more than one try, aka me. Once pressed down, like you, Elle, the tape holds very well for cards.

I think the fit and feel of tape runners is highly individual, like for shoes, cars, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Welcome Sandeelee! I wholeheartedly agree with the ATG gun. It took a while to get used to it but can't imagine using anything else. I do use the big yellow one with �" tape. I didn't mind the tape runners but they were too pricey and sure didn't go far. Make sure whatever you choose is permanent. Not all runners and glues and glue sticks are permanent so if you build a stash you may find stuff falling off months later.

Carla, you are not the only one putting things on crooked. You need to try Un-Du, a product I just learned of about two years ago. You squirt this liberally on the piece you are trying to adhere to and yes, you can squirt it right on your card. You then have about 30 seconds to slide things around. It leaves no oily residue and does not damage paper. That's a little unnerving the first time you try it but I can't live without it now. It evaporates quite quickly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2018, 08:29 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covington CrafterView Post
Those are my favorites too, Betsy. One tip I learned from a friend was to apply glue stick over the tape when placing your layers. It gives you some time to move the paper when it's crooked.
That's a brilliant tip! Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2018, 09:19 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Another tip Carlene (Catterbox-1) shared was to use the thin spatula from your electronic cutter to slide under and lift up glued down paper. It works really well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2018, 02:36 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

I have to agree with one of the earlier posters mentioning removing the "boogers" or small balls of gummed up adhesive at the edge of the roller. I find it helps tremendously in keeping the tape runners working well.

As far as learning curve, I almost think there is less of a learning curve on the ATG than there is on the tape runners simply because I don't get those "boogers" on the ATG.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2018, 02:52 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

It depends on the type of tape runner and adhesive in them. Kokuyo that Elle posted a video of and I mentioned doesn’t boogerize. Neither do some others - including the old one I use, though it’s retired (why!?). : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2018, 03:31 AM   #27  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found that I was pressing too hard when applying adhesive from my small tape runners. As soon as I eased up they worked much better - but I constantly have to remind myself that I don’t have to push the adhesive into the paper! ��
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2018, 03:57 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

If anyone is interested in trying ATG tape without using the applicator, PM me. I wound up with several rolls that have wonky centers so don't work well in the tape gun. But they are still champs at holding. They are not Scotch brand.

I'll send to you for the cost of postage and packaging.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2018, 05:11 AM   #29  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to use an ATG gun but never felt comfortable so I now use Tombow tape runners for the majority of my gluing. However my belief is that the more tape, the better so I use at least 2 types of tape runner on each item (and sometimes more). My go-to is the Tombow Mono Dot Pattern Runner - get one and then just buy refills - you can often get them with a coupon. I have also gotten the Kokuyo Dotliner (as recommended by Jennifer McGuire) that I use interchangeably with the Tombow Mono Dot. I think the dots vs tapes really are key and I rarely have a problem with a refill not working. Dots do give you a little more wiggle room before you adhere as well. However my secret weapon is the Tombow Extreme Adhesive - always in the center of my panel, I use that - it is golden and trust me, very hard to remove, LOL This also comes with a Runner and you can get refills. I get a new refill from Amazon with my monthly Subscribe and Save so I always have it on hand. I think I have had only 1 refill that I couldn't get to work out of the dozens I have used. And of course, there is liquid glue which I sometimes add where tape won't fit or to back it up. The back of my card panel, before it is glued down to the base, looks like a circus sometimes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2018, 07:05 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you sure that there is still sticky in them? They don't last very long so it might be that they've run out.
Also, make sure you have it the right way up, as they can be temperamental if you try to use them upside down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2018, 07:50 AM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I used to be a big fan of the Tombow tape runners but for the last several years have discovered they aren't holding like they used too. I still used them for Stampin' Up cardstock as long as everything was Stampin' Up. This week I was doing some cards (with Stampin' Up cardstock) and set them upright so the glitter glue would dry and two days later most of the card fronts had fallen off.........there was only the one layer with two die cuts on it. Back to the double sided Scotch tape in my dispenser until I have time to look at all the videos you all have suggested.......!

Last edited by rockybeta; 07-11-2018 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: Left something out
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2018, 08:12 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Scotch double-sided tape for me, too!!! It really sticks with a little burnishing on most cardstock. I get it with all the coupons from Joann's for 40%, 50% and even 60% as it is rarely on sale. I also have and use the UnDu when I really mess up and have it stuck tight. However, now that I have my "Layer Plus" tool, all is good from the get go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2018, 02:53 PM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

Burnishing makes a difference with a lot of the tape runners. My only problem with that s leaving some sort of mark on my card layer.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2018, 07:33 AM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

If you burnish with a teflon folder instead of a bone folder it doesn't leave any marks. One of the best tools I own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

Add me to the list of I can’t use the big ATGs. I like the Tombow small runners, along with Scotch double sided tape and S.U’s Tear and Tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2018, 08:07 AM   #36  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi, Sandee! At present, I use a lot of double-sided tape, and I supplement that with UHU glue stick, and my tape runners (pink ATG and blue Tombow). I did not get the ATG until last year finally because I've used Tombow tape runners for years. I cannot tell you how many refills I've bought but it's been a lot. I buy them at Scrapbookpal consistently cheapest price fast service free ship over $25. If someone not really wanting to invest in the ATG asked me what brand tape runner I found to be consistently trouble-free and reliable, I'd answer Tombow in a New York second.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2018, 08:43 AM   #37  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

I had no idea that Tombow made tapes for the ATG. The ones I have are Scotch brand I think. All my stuff is packed away right now while we renovate. I get them at Mike's with the 50% off coupon, but maybe should be buying online. But since we are in Canada, and the exchange is not so great right now, it might not be worth it.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2018, 12:32 PM   #38  
Glitter Queen

I have to hit myself in the head and say daahhh when I think of using the Scotch 2-sided tape. I have that on hand but about the only thing I have ever used it for is when I'm wearing a tank top and want to tape my bra straps in place under the tank top straps. Of course, that would work great for sticking layers of cards together. Why hadn't I thought of that?! Again, dah!

I did order some Kokuyo Dot Liner but can't report on how well it works because I'm still waiting for it to arrive. I would also be willing to try the Tombow tape runner just because I have faith in there products. However, if I'm disappointed in the Kokuyo, I think I'll just give up on tape runners. From reading all the replies here I see there are lots of alternate ways I can layer my cards. Now my biggest problem will be getting the layers on straight.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies.

Sandee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2018, 06:58 AM   #39  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandeeleeView Post
I have to hit myself in the head and say daahhh when I think of using the Scotch 2-sided tape. I have that on hand but about the only thing I have ever used it for is when I'm wearing a tank top and want to tape my bra straps in place under the tank top straps. Sandee

Does that work on straps? I will have to try that. I have a few cold shoulder blouses with skinny straps and I prefer wearing a regular bra instead of a strapless one. Thanks for the tip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2018, 03:47 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123scrapView Post
Does that work on straps? I will have to try that. I have a few cold shoulder blouses with skinny straps and I prefer wearing a regular bra instead of a strapless one. Thanks for the tip!

It also works for that gap in the front of your blouse that sometimes happens when the buttons seem to be in just the wrong places!
Reply With Quote Likes