Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-16-2018, 09:09 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Trendy Llamas

Does anyone know why Llama's are so trendy? I know they have been for a while now, I just haven't jumped on that bandwagon. Not yet anyway! But you never know... Mermaids and Unicorns took me a while... and I just ordered my first Cactus set! I wonder how these trends get started... like who picked out the Llama and the crafting industry ran with it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2018, 11:08 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

The design industry and councils set the trends. The Design councils studies the news, fads, social media & entertainment culture to narrow down what can be long term profitable trends. The the crafting industries look at this data to see what will be hot as marketing. Southwest and Bohemian are really popular right now. Lucky for me since Bohemian is my favorite. For example Llama farms are a popular culture right now. Llama trend! I love llama's and alpaca's so I was really happy to see this show up. Also in Kawaii llama's are also popular so the design councils probably factored this in too.

Right now it is slowly transitioning into space culture. I am sure in the next few months to a couple of years we will see more space related crafting themes. I can already see it in a few scrapbooking lines, for example.

The eighties are making a way back to be trendy with the popular culture of Stranger Things and entertainments that falls in that realm such as You Tube's recent series Cobra Kai, for example. Note- That show was amazing, loved it, lol. Look for more eighties culture to come up in our crafting world.

The mustache trend drove me nuts. Not in a bad way. You know we all have our trends we are like Nope. The mustache trend was popular because of Movember & Prostrate Cancer awareness as an example.

I hope that makes sense. Super tired so I get dyslexic. I hope it helps some.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2018, 08:21 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

Yesterday in my local scrapbook/ cardmaking Store, I saw a lot of water related paper and stamps with fish and all types of sea creatures or things found in the ocean. I used to see Llama but not so much now. Also on line a lot of marine types of cards and even octopi.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Flashback. Who has been here since 2009 and before? We did everything short of personal begging to get llama stamps. Well, maybe we did that too. :rolleyes: We said, "What?! No llamas?!?!?" whenever there wasn't a llama stamp. We shared if we happened to see a llama somewhere.

You can do a forum search if you want to get a kick out of our old threads. There's a lot of them, and not all have llama in the title. :p They only go back as far as 2009 but that wasn't the beginning. And the llama chatter even moved to other sites.

Now, I don't know for sure how llamas got trendy. But maybe we can claim the start of the trend right here!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2018, 01:35 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

And don't forget the flamingo! Been seeing lots of them too. It makes me reluctant to buy either the llama or the flamingo - they will be so utterly OUT in a year or two. At least I find them more appealing than the yeti and platypus stamps that are also out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Llamas are big in the planner community right now and more planners are getting interested in stamping so there could be some correlation there as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2018, 08:28 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

I�d like to see a manatee trend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2018, 04:23 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
The design industry and councils set the trends. The Design councils studies the news, fads, social media & entertainment culture to narrow down what can be long term profitable trends.
I've hit on some trends in my own illustrations, but no one's telling me what to do... some trends are seasonal (like mermaids now)... a lot are just spinoffs of what we're all seeing in social media, advertising, etc. Someone was asking in another stamp group if there's like a think tank for stamp illustrators - there's not.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2018, 04:24 AM   #9  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoboken PaperView Post
Beth Duff Designs has some manatees - have you seen hers?
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2018, 06:38 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

makes me reluctant to buy either the llama or the flamingo - they will be so utterly OUT in a year or two
I have often kicked myself for not buying stickers or precuts when I see a something trendy that I like. Instead I either buy the die & stamps, use them a few times and then let them collect dust OR I refuse to buy and miss out on a trend I probably would have enjoyed. I'm trying let go a bit and realize that I do not have to make every element of a card myself.

...btw Llamas and flamingos don't do it for me, even though I enjoyed looking at them when I would drive by a llama farm close in the area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2018, 05:52 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
Beth Duff Designs has some manatees - have you seen hers?

I will have to check that out! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2018, 10:28 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts
Heart Manatee Stamps

Quote:

I just ran across some the other day on Simon Says Stamp! Lawn Fawn, Hero Arts and Clearly Besotted are just I few I found. (just right click on the link to open in new tab. I can't figure out why it didn't make it clickable for me...)

Lawn Fawn MANATEE-RIFIC Clear Stamps LF1688 at Simon Says STAMP!

Hero Arts Stamp and Cuts MANATEE Coordinating Set DC207 at Simon Says STAMP!

Clearly Besotted MANATEE MISCHIEF Clear Stamp Set at Simon Says STAMP!

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2018, 11:05 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I've hit on some trends in my own illustrations, but no one's telling me what to do... some trends are seasonal (like mermaids now)... a lot are just spinoffs of what we're all seeing in social media, advertising, etc. Someone was asking in another stamp group if there's like a think tank for stamp illustrators - there's not.
Are you freelance? One of my friends was telling me she has to set down with a list and pick through trendy subjects when designing scrapbook lines. She does work for a major company. I would have block if I did that. Luckily, I don't design for crafting. I never will. Been asked and said NO emphatically. I will stick with my gaming. Good fit for me. No, llama's will be drawn in my next project, lol. I actually don't think I could draw a llama. He would be a dark llama holding a sword or something. Probably the only way I could make that work.

That would be an interesting concept of a think tank for stamp illustrators. I love stamping because of the variety. One stamp company I can have lovely traditional while the other I can have something crazy and trendy. I am glad stamp illustrator's do what they want to do without limits. For me I want a variety of stamps in different subjects. I seriously doubt I would ever stamp if it was all trendy. That's where my stickers come in. Trust me I want a llama stamp more than anything but I also want ocean scene's and feathers and lots of other subjects.

Are there think tanks in the paper crafting industry at all? I only thought the companies set down with design trends and Pantone's color of the year and came up with concepts for their newer lines. I should say scrapbooking does that and maybe some of the larger stamp companies do this.

Last edited by lylacfey; 06-20-2018 at 11:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2018, 02:04 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm glad they're the big thing right now because I have no interest (don't care for cactus and southwest either) and it helps keep me from wanting things. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2018, 08:47 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts
Heart

Quote:

SaveSave
Dina, I just bought Blue Footed and Baby Giraffe, and I am in love!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2018, 08:30 AM   #16  

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
SaveSave
Dina, I just bought Blue Footed and Baby Giraffe, and I am in love!
Ohhh yay, thank you!!

DeeAnn, I am freelance, and I just license line art... I can see, though, how bigger companies would want to steer their collections toward current color and design trends, etc.

(ETA - I do take suggestions and requests for stamps, but I generally don't like people telling me what to do - that's why freelance is for me!)
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2018, 05:46 PM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Flashback. Who has been here since 2009 and before? We did everything short of personal begging to get llama stamps. Well, maybe we did that too. :rolleyes: We said, "What?! No llamas?!?!?" whenever there wasn't a llama stamp. We shared if we happened to see a llama somewhere.

You can do a forum search if you want to get a kick out of our old threads. There's a lot of them, and not all have llama in the title. :p They only go back as far as 2009 but that wasn't the beginning. And the llama chatter even moved to other sites.

Now, I don't know for sure how llamas got trendy. But maybe we can claim the start of the trend right here!

I remember when everyone wanted a llama. I didn’t realize it was so long ago though.

DeeAnn, thanks for the explanation. More complicated than I imagined.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2018, 04:21 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

On the topic of trends... I'm sure glad mustaches and owls are mostly gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2018, 05:41 PM   #19  

RufsMom, welcome to Splitcoast!

Totally agree on the mustaches - just creepy.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2018, 03:05 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

If you look through your magazines or the splitcoast gallery a few years back or even your own stamps, you'll have an idea for what is now OFF trend and OUT. I’m learning to look for stamps that I am confident I will still like to use in 5 years. They can be a big investment, so I want them to go with my personality and taste and be useful for a long time. If you really like llamas, or owls, or elephants, or paper dolls, or cupcakes, or scribbly flowers, or mice, or hedgehogs, or stars, etc. get your favorite stamp or set, being confident you’ll enjoy the investment for a long time. But don't let the trends tell you what you want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2018, 07:36 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought Dinas Blue footed also. I also bought the peeking cat ( I already have another peeking cat but I love cats too much)
I would have bought the giraffe also but I have two already.
MY thoughts are that cute, adorable, realistic animals, and wildlife in general will sell. I also have raccoon, wolf(3) bears, polar bears, Sloth, rabbits, birds, alpaca etc. Next to flowers animals work well for cards! Everyone has a smile for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2018, 05:12 PM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

My Daughter-in-Law loves Alpacas. Kind of like llamas but distinctively different. I think both are cute. I would like to see cute donkeys
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2018, 05:12 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

Quote:

Gerda Steiner has some ADORABLE manatees. I had to buy a bunch of her stamps/dies when she came out with GUINEA PIG stamps! We had guinea pigs (one at a time) when the kids were growing up and now one of my daughters bought 2 of them for my grandkids - they are the most awesome pets! Cuddly and sweet like dogs, but you can leave them for a whole day and they'll be fine.

Anyway, Gerda Steiner was going on vacation and shutting down her store briefly, and I ordered that day and she got my order in the mail before she left - now THAT is real service!

I'm an SU demo, and I don't buy a ton of non-SU stamps, but her little critters are the best. I also buy book stamps/bookworm stamps too. There's a cute MFT set and a new one by Mama Elephant.

I remember when everyone here wanted llamas! Really, the forum threads go back only to 2009?! I came here in May of 2004 and signed up as an SU demo two months later as a direct result of the inspiration and camaraderie here on SCS!!! Mwahhhh!!!!!!! Love you all!!!! :-)
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2018, 05:48 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Susan...the forum threads go all the way back to when the site started, 2003-2004 time frame. But the search feature only took me to that many threads. There were plenty there, but the 2009 definitely wasn't the beginning.

I joined a year after you...and I can't fathom the fact that in that time, the number of people went from about 4700 to about 44,000!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.

Last edited by fionna51; 06-28-2018 at 05:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2018, 05:28 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmt1000View Post
My Daughter-in-Law loves Alpacas. Kind of like llamas but distinctively different. I think both are cute. I would like to see cute donkeys

I would love some donkey stamps, too! My daughter got a mini donkey about a year ago as a guard for her goat herd. Her name is Marley and she's quite a character!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2018, 11:09 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

I would love donkey's too. I definitely remember us all begging for llama's. I have no idea why we all wanted llama's though, lol. Hopefully, crossing fingers, manatee's will start making a trend with the lovely mermaid trend going on right now.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2018, 12:31 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by madameplushbottomView Post
Llamas are big in the planner community right now and more planners are getting interested in stamping so there could be some correlation there as well.

Yes, very true. I attended the GOWILD planner conference last year and met some of the drama Llamas. I got a cute washi tape holder gifted to me there. Good times!
Old 07-28-2018, 10:33 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny that I just stumbled onto this thread. I was clothes shopping yesterday and wondered why there were so many shirts with llamas on them . Now I know why, somehow I didn't notice they were trending in the crafting community either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2018, 10:37 PM   #29  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Llama Llama the children's book series have been popular for awhile. Llama Llama Red Pajama is one of my favorites. The little girls in my family have been into mermaids and unicorns for the last few months and now there is a movie on Netflix adapted from the Llama Llama book series that they are talking about. Maybe it's kids that are driving the trend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2018, 12:37 PM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Mary, I was just getting ready to mention the Llama, Llama books!

KathyT, I saw an alpaca set somewhere, but don't remember who makes it. I'm not usually fond of punny sentiments, but "alpaca my scarf" has stuck in my brain since I saw that set. Come to think of it, "alpaca my ..." could be used for lots of things.

Just found it - it's by Lawn Fawn - Winter Alpaca.

Last edited by uncbballfan; 08-03-2018 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: ETA: add'l info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #31  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL I can get behind alpaca my scarf too. Pretty funny!!!
Reply With Quote Likes