Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-07-2018, 12:40 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Storing extra die cuts -- any ideas?

I have been stamping, die cutting (and embossing) new stamp sets several times, particularly ones that I am coloring. Also, doing the same thing with word dies that I think I will use on many different cards--large Thank you's, Hugs, etc. I haven't figured out a good way to store them so that I can get to them easily. I had a similar problem with pieces that I made using various techniques, such as alcohol ink backgrounds, distress ink backgrounds but I got an extra interdesign bin that is the right size for A2 cards, then created dividers for various catagories. Do other people only cut what you are using for one project? Any suggestions welcome.

Billie Sue:confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2018, 02:28 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I keep my leftover scraps by color in 3 ring binder page protectors on top of colored cardstock. When I punch extra die cuts, I put them in a little clear envelope and slide that into the page protector. Not a perfect method, but works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2018, 04:04 PM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the U.K. i reuse the plastic boxes that the Chinese take away comes in and label them round,square,oval etc,with my cut dies in them. I also cannibalise birthday and Christmas cards with small dies like butterflies and they have their own box.It's not perfect but works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2018, 04:25 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep mine in an accordion folder but I have found that when I make a bunch of extra die cuts and file them away I completely forget about them. Then when I look through them a year later I have moved on and am not interested in using many of them. I stopped cutting extras for that reason. Just my experience but I just threw out a dozen die cut rabbits. I think I had already given the die away. Great if you use them but not great if they end up in the trash. I’ve had a little better luck with storing extra mostly white sentiments right in the CD envelope the die is stored in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2018, 07:51 PM   #5  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If possible, keep the cuts with the die. Or the "sentiment" cuts where you keep similar sentiments (so birthday "cuts" might be with birthday stamps).

It really depends on where your brain would think to look for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2018, 08:17 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 484 Likes on 304 Posts

I use the SU clamshell boxes...label the end and long side with what is there and file them in ABC order on a metal shelf purchased from HL. I also have some for labels sets ( think Tim Holtz and other notables) and periodically I go through my scrap boxfile and cut up pieces of every color and keep them all together. When I need a label or am thinking about using a certain set of word dies I go to the clamshells first to see if I already have a color needed cut. Find it saves me from cutting one at a time during card construction. I cut ahead on the word dies when I am stuck for an idea for a project to work on. It works for me.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2018, 09:48 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I rarely cut for one project. I have a lot of die cut, papers, stamp pieces too.

I organize mine in categories like fantasy, words, animals. I do put my stamp and die cut images in the same system. I have a journaling mindset that this is all my ephemera. I will store colored stamp pieces separately from my other items. Like for example if I have a sandwich bag full of dog die cuts. I will store my dog colored stamp pieces behind it in another sandwich bag. That way I know I have two of the same categories together. I store everything in sandwich bags or envelopes. They are all in a photo boxes.

Papers I have made I keep in large sandwich bags by colors or type. I keep those in an Iris case.

I also keep one box that I throw in all my random pieces I cut through the month. Once every month or two I set down and put the items I haven't used in my categories. I love to do this because I always find something new when I am putting away something old.

I hope that wasn't confusing.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2018, 05:33 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't usually cut extras but somehow I manage to collect them anyway and have to confess they are all over the place.

1)I have a zip bag with my journaling bible that has things I think myself or friends might want to use.

2)Then I have some in bags with my cardstock which is sorted by color

3)Then some in are in bags I have sorted by theme and then tossed into a basket on a shelf.

What do I usually do, cut what I want again instead of looking to see if I already have done so. gee wonder why I do that ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2018, 08:07 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I use the currency/trading card/postcard sleeves for storing mine, kept in a 3 ring binder. As you can get the currency sleeves in a wide selection of types- coin/banknote etc, you can have plenty of pocket size choice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2018, 08:52 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

it�s just a few I�ll put them behind the cardstock in the die pocket. One is always there to grab to see if it will work in the card design.

(I use 5x5 SSS pockets with a piece of CS, or in very rare cases, a piece of magnetic sheet. Jennifer McGuire system.)

If there are a bunch or might get tangled with each other, I put another pocket behind the die pocket.

But since I never know what color I�ll want, and sometimes blend ink or watercolors onto cardstock before die cutting, I don�t have tons.

Last edited by bjeans; 06-16-2018 at 10:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

I do not keep the dies that come in those thick heavy sizzix plastic envelopes in those envelopes. so, I tend to put the die cut sentiments and some shapes in those envelopes and into a drawer. ( not everything fits in them) so, other things I sort by die or theme or what ever and put them in the same kind of clear envelopes that I put finished cards into. so these are all in a drawer and I can just flip through the envelopes.

I tend to stamp extra sentiments on skinny scraps and die cut them to have them as "ready to use" on nearly finished cards quickly so, I do not have huge scrap bins of plain cardstock. I do try to cut it up into things that I will use later.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2018, 10:11 PM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I used to save die-cuts for years. I never found a great system for filing them. I never retrieved them. Same as the previous poster, when I do come across them they are no longer in style or something I want to use.

I just threw most of them away, and I have a new policy not to save them. Sorry to be so candid and direct.

It’s quite liberating, actually.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2018, 05:18 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Received 176 Likes on 118 Posts

1) I really never bulk cut die-cut pieces in advance but sometimes have extras from a project, or just make a few more. Those went into a clear SU! envelope either with the stamp set usually if the die-cut is already stamped, so its right there when I open the case, have found it handy with pre-stamped and cut flowers or Birthday greeting when doing a project. And if the image wasn't stamped, quite often the die cut piece used to go into a clear envelope into plastic sleeve (SU! SIZZIX) that my dies come in, with the dies.

I probably tend to use the ones that are stored with the stamp set more, but that does mean taking out the stamp set which I normally would and I find its a bonus when there is extra pieces already stamped and cut that work for my project.

2) If you bulk stamped and die-cut images wonder if just using a photo box that has precut and stamped images and just categorizing them labelled into clear envelopes or sleeves would be handy. Like having all the butterflies or Happy Birthdays (no matter what set it came from) together then you could flip through (think this was mentioned earlier) This thread does have me rethinking how I do stuff, I usually pull out a particular stamp set but this may be a convenient way too.

3)Just recently, since I bought a Stamparatus, I make a Template of dies that coordinate with stamp images.
Write the name of die set on template and Insert with coordinating stamp set.
so now I have been cutting some extra pre-cut dies with set to stamp on using the template and SAR.
I keep those die-cut pieces in the clear envelopes stampin' Up ! sells inside the stamp case. Then I can stamp them in whatever colour I want for the project. I think I will find this particularly handy when bringing my stamps with in the RV since I don't bring the dies and big shot along.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2018, 01:10 PM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

If I have extra's that I think my granddaughters would like to use, I save those for them. I also include a few in swaps; I save some for future use in cellophane bags and/or plastic photo containers. Sometimes just that odd die cut inspires me to make a card with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2018, 02:16 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

I was also having some issues. Thanks for sharing solution.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 02:16 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the Iris photo boxes. 2 sizes, you can see the colors in the box and they are portable.

Robin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 04:35 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

Here is what I do. The dies on magnetic cards go in front of the white cardstock insert in the envelope. The extra pre-cut pieces go behind the insert.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2018, 07:15 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I love these ideas. I keep it simple and put my extras in legal size envelopes and write the type of dies on the front. Example: trees, butterflys, ect. I keep them standing up in a cookie tin that is long enough for the envelopes and look there first before cutting new ones. I find I use them more often that way and cards can go faster if I already have what I need. Sometimes I cut dies and then decide they don't work and go a different direction, so I put them in the envelope for later. Works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2018, 07:47 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my leftover die-cuts and other pieces all separated at one point and tucked neatly in a drawer with my embellishments. I never opened that drawer and therefore never used the leftovers. I got an idea from a youtube video to just store all of them in a container and just flip thought them. I kind of have them separated in the container with sentiments in front, colored images (critters), die-cuts themselves (like leaf cuts or hearts) then Christmas/holiday in the back. I have a few but not 100s so this works and now I use them much more frequently.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #20  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by staceylovespaperView Post
I had my leftover die-cuts and other pieces all separated at one point and tucked neatly in a drawer with my embellishments. I never opened that drawer and therefore never used the leftovers. I got an idea from a youtube video to just store all of them in a container and just flip thought them. I kind of have them separated in the container with sentiments in front, colored images (critters), die-cuts themselves (like leaf cuts or hearts) then Christmas/holiday in the back. I have a few but not 100s so this works and now I use them much more frequently.
This method was the only one thstceorked for me to use my scraps. When I need an embellishment my brain thinks of objects or words so that is how I try to organize my cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2018, 10:41 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

I recently sorted my extra dies into ziplock bags. I then attached a clip on curtain ring and they hang from tension rod. The rod is hung between the legs of my bar height steel topped table I use for cutting and embossing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2018, 05:21 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Basketdiva, you are brilliant! I'm not keeping many excess die cuts but I will definitely use your "low down" storage idea for other things. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2018, 06:56 PM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I keep mine in the clear A2 size card protectors and then in a cheap photo storage box. I cut the tab portion of manila folders off to make dividers according to subject and stack them in the box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2018, 03:01 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

I try to only cut what I'm going to use - or pre-assemble, in the case of complicated paper piece work - but inevitably you end up with a few extras. I find they get used the most when I store them with their corresponding die.

The exception are small die cuts. These I keep in a little plastic box with several compartments, roughly sorted in either specific parts (nature/plants/animals etc.), general shapes, and *really* tiny bits; think shaker sized confetti.

I also make a habit of starting all projects with 'extra' die-cuts. That way I'm always using at least something previously made.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2018, 07:47 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I buy magnetic vent covers from home improvement stores that come in a packs of 3 - 8" x15" which I cut down to fit the cheap 4x6 photo album pockets that I buy at the dollar store. I open the albums up to the center and use my exacto knife to cut out the spine leaving the inner sealed seam in tact. On one side I store my dies and on the other side I store extra die cut pieces for future projects. To store the pages I stand them in food storage bins.
See examples of supplies below:Shop the dollar stores for these https://www.amazon.com/Photos-Flexib...6+photo+albumsHardware stores for these https://www.amazon.com/Accord-AMAGCO...tic+vent+coverfood storage bins found at discount stores similar to these https://www.amazon.com/mDesign-Plast...e+storage+bins

It may not work for you but it's perfect for me.
Reply With Quote Likes