Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-20-2018, 03:44 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What ridiculous thing have you saved?

I am in the middle of a craft room clean out. I have Iris 12x12 containers filled with card stock and �projects� and leftovers from projects.
I decided it was time to go through my many Iris drawers and containers.
I decided I had to be merciless!! Some of the containers of stuff made me laugh. The container full of 12 x 12 sheets of card stock that Was �left over�
After cutting shapes with my Cricut and die cuts. I had maximized the use of the CS and all that was left were tiny borders between the cuts. Totally useless!!
Why did I save them?!? To use with my many punches? Not enough CS between dies cuts. I now have 9 empty Iris containers!! I was planning to buy a few more next time there was a good sale. I don�t need to now!!!
What is the most ridiculous thing you�ve saved?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2018, 03:55 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 585 Likes on 240 Posts

Eyelets! I had about a million, it seemed, every color, size and shape. I used them when I could on cards and sb pages but they fell out of fashion rather quickly. I finally threw them out when I did a big purge for a big move. Haven't missed 'em.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I still have sequins from my dad's 40th birthday. I used them to make a shaker card for his 70th! They were pink flamingos from back when getting your yard "flocked" was a thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2018, 07:20 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Thin cardstock with odd textures in hideous colors, two crimpers that were used once four years ago and a punch that is probably supposed to be a spider but looks suspiciously like a tick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2018, 02:11 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh, this has made me laugh! Apart from sequins, I am in all those categories! A while back I sorted my 'scraps' box. Good grief, the rubbish I threw out. I'd kept pretty much every scrap I created, believing I'd be able to use the small pieces for punching out of. Pieces probably as small as my fingernail. What an idiot. Eyelets and brads too- but I'll be passing a lot of those on at an upcoming blog meet.
I also have 2 crimpers- are we mad?- that I haven't used for years, so they'll be going too,along with 3, yes 3 bowmakers. And so much mulberry paper I must have keep that industry in business.
Don't even ask how many paintbrushes I have in a draw, and no, I don't paint.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 05-21-2018 at 02:12 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2018, 03:47 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 585 Likes on 240 Posts

I have to add confetti. I must have gone through a big shaker card and explosion card phase as I have several packets of dollar store confetti, every color and shape you can imagine. When will I use it? Probably never.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2018, 04:26 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh this is very reassuring :ooops:
*those fairly large, cheap and coarse dollar store glitters. In bright colours.
*its and bits of ribbon off of gift baskets or wrapping. I have used a NICE one on a very rare occasion.
*yes, as mentioned, the tiny bits left of cardstock. I do keep ziplocks of colour pieces so I can use a piece rather than start a full sheet. But nothing smaller than the size a punch can at least use. (Anymore haha)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2018, 04:48 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Tools I've never *ever* used - like the Fuse. Or Perfect Layers or whatever it's called. Eighty hundred embellishments because they're cute - though never used. They were in Studio Calico kits I subscribed to when building up a stash. I got rid of 90% of them. But not tiny wood veneers of every state in the U.S. that I'd never use.

I have a theory that no matter how much I get rid of, I could get rid of 10% more two weeks later. And10% more in another two weeks. (Time has to pass for the next 10% purge to activate.) But there's this balk at going that final step.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2018, 05:35 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CndnStamperView Post
I still have sequins from my dad's 40th birthday. I used them to make a shaker card for his 70th! They were pink flamingos from back when getting your yard "flocked" was a thing.
Hey, Christine, I'll take those if you're not using them! I'd be happy to pay you for the postage. Just PM me if you're interested. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2018, 05:39 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Border punches that I haven't used in years. They were expensive, too (about $15 apiece without a coupon), although I bought most of them on sale or with a coupon. They take up a lot of room, and I really don't use them. Maybe my Mom would like them. Time to purge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2018, 05:57 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ha ha...I found a use for brads! Take a look around the eyes and mouth of this collage man I made in an art class! I used up all my beige and black brads. There are more on the back of his head too :-)
Attached Thumbnails
What ridiculous thing have you saved?-img_20180417_210600490.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2018, 09:01 AM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,377 Likes on 512 Posts

Tiny or odd-shaped cardstock scraps. In fact, my youngest daughter and I spent most of Saturday afternoon and evening going through my scraps. We also flipped my Stamp N Storage paper holders so that everything is now vertical, put my cardstock in rainbow order, pulled the retired SU! colors, and made slots for the new colors coming in June. In a roundabout way, I am glad I had all those nuisance scraps to sort through and toss because I got to spend a pleasant Saturday with my 12 yo, chatting away about everything and nothing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2018, 09:41 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

I'm another one of those who saves paper scraps.....:rolleyes:

I keep them in gallon Ziploc bags separated by color and TRY to use them when I don't want to cut into a new piece of cardstock.

My problem is "when is a scrap not a scrap??" I try not to keep anything too small and I definitely need to go through all of them and purge/recycle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

I know I shouldn't keep all those scraps. I make about 120 ATCs for Valentines Day each year and have for the last 6 years. They are all made from layers of scraps. No new cardstock is ever used for them and I still have an ever growing pile of scraps. I just finished making 70 gift tags from scraps and didn't even put a dent in my white cardstock scraps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2018, 03:26 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Making card fronts with scraps is so relaxing for me! Especially the diagonal ones, I don't know why? No pressure, just pick out the patterns and colors. I actually ran out of scraps the last time I did these:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2018, 04:40 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)

Wow!! Great cards!!!! I ended up donating a ton of scraps and 12x12 patterned paper
Stamps and embellishments to my grandson’s preschool. Knowing that the stuff would benefit him made it easier to part with stuff I might hang on to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=Dorie95;21661723]Making card fronts with scraps is so relaxing for me! Especially the diagonal ones, I don't know why? No pressure, just pick out the patterns and colors. I actually ran out of scraps the last time I did these:

Sounded like I made these cards but I forgot how to edit my post! I watched this video and then made some like those. So that's not me in the video but thanks to whoever made it anyway! :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2018, 06:32 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, yes card stock and paper scraps. Recently did a clean out and gave away patterns I don't like. scraps need to be at least 1/4 piece of full size.... eyelets, uggh hated using the hammer. I have a bunch of Martha Stewart punches that make doily type shapes, but nothing smaller than 6"- too big unless I just use a piece of it. Expensive punches, a subscription from HSN or QVC. My border punches I love but don't remember to use them much-will keep most of them.

And I hate tags, but seem to have a few in each size.
I must admit that I have a lot of supplies that were given to me no charge when a couple friends passed or moved to nursing homes, sad, but I just took them because they were free. I try to sell on eBay, but that's not so easy anymore.

You guys have given me motivation to clean out!!! yay.

I've saved pull tabs from soda and soup cans, etc. thought I'd use to put ribbon through, but used as a Santa belt buckle was the only thing I liked them for - you can color them with nail polish or heat emboss them with gold, etc.
I've stamped out greetings on labels to use in future, in a baggie, may never use them all, but when I have the supplies out - made extra.
All the glitter I'll never use, luster rub-ons, Twinkling H2o's - rarely use them.
Quilling supplies I rarely use. I learned years ago, that all the ribbon I purchased because it was on sale - NEVER use the printed/pattern ones. Thought I had to buy each color in each width, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2018, 07:35 AM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have radient pearls, they never dry out and I think I have every color but haven't used them in years! I too need to get rid of scraps. I have charms, lots of charms, that I never use on cards. Maybe my grand daughter will like the??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2018, 07:48 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts
Red face One Big Club!

So glad to find a secret club that fits me all over!
Card stocks of textures, brands, colors ...
Patterned papers in WAY TOO MANY Iris 13x13's ...
Metal "Tim-type" embellishments ... OMGosh ...
Loads of "alterables" .... Whoa .. Remember that phase???
  • notebooks
  • tins of all sorts
  • acrylic containers, etc
  • and those Dollar-store $1 frames!!!
It's possible that I could be able to prove the theory that those things listed have a distant relationship to prolific bunnies in boxes. I hope the purge virus comes to visit me soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2018, 09:14 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

LOL!!!!
We have all been here before! I am very happy to say about a year ago, I let all of my eyelets and most of my border punches go!!! I love to purge!!! Feels so good to clean out! It is always BEST to use something all up...but!
I have a system. I call it the 6 month box. I keep a small box in the other rm with items I think I do not like/use. After 6 months, if I have not removed anything from the box I donate it 💞
It feels so good to share with others and I don't get stressed because it is not gone for forever...i can change my mind and grab items I actually missed!!!!! Haha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2018, 09:27 AM   #22  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Border punches that I haven't used in years. They were expensive, too (about $15 apiece without a coupon), although I bought most of them on sale or with a coupon. They take up a lot of room, and I really don't use them. Maybe my Mom would like them. Time to purge!
I use an over-the-door shoe bags thing (sturdy, ?from BedBathBeyond?) that I store mine in.
As I still use them once in a while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

I have a couple of vintage hard side suitcases stacked in my space... and two of them are filled with things to alter. so coasters ( paper and tile, metal tins, some rescued things and some bought specifically to gift them out ha ha ha...) and one is filled with lace and ribbons that do not fit in all the huge tackle boxes stored in the closet sorted by colors...

and I betcha a nickle when the new book comes out I will look really hard at the new ribbons :mrgreen:

and I have a depression glass tea cup on my table, so it has some odds and ends vintage buttons, things I pulled off things, canceled postage stamps from things received out of the country and yes, scraps of ribbons and lace. ( I keep telling my self that letting go of a 6 in ribbon scrap is not the end of the world but, I will find a use for them even if its in a tag before I cut into a large strand) :lol:

I used to turn my cardstock slivers into handmade papers but, there is just too many things ready to use in my space now and I do let the tiniest scraps go.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

I recently did some purging. Feels good. I had little ribbon scraps all over the place. I threw out the teeny tiny ones and sorted the other ones into baggies by color. I have the box of baggies by my stamping station so I remember to use them.
Also sorted my cardstock scraps and got rid of anything smaller than a quarter sheet of paper. I store those by color family in an couple 12x12 expandable envelopes.
For designer series paper I sorted it by size. We'll see if that works.
I have a bazillion of those 7"x9" divided storage cases. So I spent a little time organizing those -for instance - all the baby things are now in one container all the heart things are in one container...
One thing I've saved is the sides of tissue boxes and now I have tons of them. I've only ever made a few cards out of them. Time to craft with them or recycle them...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2018, 01:12 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 217 Likes on 134 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helen WeberView Post
I have radient pearls, they never dry out and I think I have every color but haven't used them in years! I too need to get rid of scraps. I have charms, lots of charms, that I never use on cards. Maybe my grand daughter will like the??
I have those too! Bunch's of em and I never use them anymore : (
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2018, 02:16 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

A small rectangular tag from some piece of clothing I bought. It was black with Cool Carribbean lettering. Always thought I'd use it for inspiration. It was a pretty color combo! It always hung on my inspiration board! I threw it away not too long ago!

Also, nice wide grey grosgrain ribbon off of bags from the loft. It is really nice ribbon and I hate to throw it away. I kept some for awhile but eventually tossed it! Now when I get a bag, out goes all of it!

I keep my scraps in gallon ziplock bags by color too. Nothing really small. My guess would be they are generally at least 6x6 or bigger and I do use them often!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 05-23-2018 at 02:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Tic Tac boxes. They never work for me for any purpose, but I CAN'T STOP SAVING them!
life is something that happens only when you run out of cardstock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2018, 06:36 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 242 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illinois MargeView Post
Ha ha...I found a use for brads! Take a look around the eyes and mouth of this collage man I made in an art class! I used up all my beige and black brads. There are more on the back of his head too :-)

Love your man, but I have been desperately looking for black brads. Can't find them anywhere. Thought I had hit the jackpot in Michael's when I was in a town with one, but it wasn't until I was home (in another state) that I realized they were button-shaped. Cute, but not what I want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2018, 08:39 AM   #29  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Black brads

Brads and similar embellishments can be found at eyelet outlet. I usually get a few special shaped ones and tons of rhinestones when they are stamp conventions. It seems you can order online. This link goes to the page with round brads:

http://www.eyeletoutl et.com/brads---round.html

And to be on original topic ...

Not necessarily ridiculous because I still look through them regularly but I have craft magazines that are more than 10 years old. I find something "new" almost every time I look because my tastes and talents have changed. But I don't need a stack taller than me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2018, 08:51 AM   #30  

Received 1,377 Likes on 512 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post

Not necessarily ridiculous because I still look through them regularly but I have craft magazines that are more than 10 years old. I find something "new" almost every time I look because my tastes and talents have changed. But I don't need a stack taller than me!
I forgot about saving those! I have SU! catalogs, Stampington and Co.'s Memories magazines, SU!'s demo magazines, and Club Scrap Scrap Rap sheets from when I got their monthly kits. They go back to 2002. I will not throw them away, though, because I love looking through them. I have never, ever been someone - in any area of my life - that craves the latest and greatest. The older something gets, the more I love it. I also love the personal nostalgia tied up in those publications....how excited I got for my Club Scrap kit each month....how excited I was as a new SU! demo.....the inspired layouts I made of my girls when they were so small.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2018, 09:27 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 242 Likes on 130 Posts

[QUOTE=TeeGeeDee;21662890]Brads and similar embellishments can be found at eyelet outlet. I usually get a few special shaped ones and tons of rhinestones when they are stamp conventions. It seems you can order online. This link goes to the page with round brads:

http://www.eyeletoutl et.com/brads---round.html

Thanks so much for the link. I found they sell Black only brads in the 1/16" size, and I guess I could try those. However, I was looking for the 1/8" size and can't seem to find them in packages of all black.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2018, 03:13 PM   #32  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Love your man, but I have been desperately looking for black brads. Can't find them anywhere. Thought I had hit the jackpot in Michael's when I was in a town with one, but it wasn't until I was home (in another state) that I realized they were button-shaped. Cute, but not what I want.

Do you know you can emboss brads to change their colour? Using needle nose pliers, hold brad upside down and tap on versamark pad. Dip into black embossing powder and emboss using heat tool. Voila!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2018, 05:14 PM   #33  
Crimping Master

Ugh, why can’t I get rid of my brads? I never use them. I guess it’s because I have sock monkey brads and lighthouse brads. So cute and so useless. Eyelets I know I will never ever use again. Those are going out now! This is reminding me of things I have that I forgot to mention which is even worse.....hehe these lists make me laugh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2018, 05:25 PM   #34  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

Ever see the Michael Strong cloisonne stamping? I have saved tons of pretty designed/colored magazine pages to do that on. I may have actually made 3 or 4 cards that way, sigh. (It is pretty though!)

Scraps of course, but nothing smaller than an inch square- which I can make into shaped flowers with my Nellie Snellen punch & emboss sets. Love those flowers!

Ribbon, ribbon, more ribbon...and when was the last time I actually put ribbon ON anything???

Paper flowers- got lots, almost never put any on a card.

Eyelets and glitter and brads, Oh MY!
Buttons and gems and doodads piled high!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2018, 05:12 AM   #35  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You did say ridiculous so here is a partial list I made yesterday as I was doing some purging:

Plastic containers - all kinds, sizes and shapes. Especially the ones from crisco sticks, had visions of using those as drawers when I "someday" made an embellishment keeper. I started saving them when my son was in pre-school and he is all grown up now, living on his own.

A Tupperware rolling pin that was my moms. She never used it since she had a wooden one too. Why did I feel the need to keep it, I've never used it either.

Empty makeup compacts to someday alter
Flip open jewelry boxes, again thought I'd someday alter them
Empty ribbon spools to make bracelets out of, due to issues with hands I can't even wear bangles so what was I thinking
Stick, from trees, bamboo, etc... beginning to see a trend here, the word someday is verry very bad...
Juice lids, yep "I can alter this" thoughts can lead to hoarding

It all went into the trash bin except the rolling pin. That is in the donate box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2018, 06:14 AM   #36  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
Ugh, why can�t I get rid of my brads? I never use them. I guess it�s because I have sock monkey brads and lighthouse brads. So cute and so useless. Eyelets I know I will never ever use again. Those are going out now! This is reminding me of things I have that I forgot to mention which is even worse.....hehe these lists make me laugh.

I'd be happy to buy the lighthouse brads from you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2018, 08:05 AM   #37  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketdivaView Post
I'd be happy to buy the lighthouse brads from you.
PM me, they are free.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2018, 11:39 AM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
Red face

Of course I save too many scraps of cardstock. My dumb one is saving copy paper too. I keep thinking I can use it to catch the powder when embossing or experiment on. But do I really need 50+? Nope. Clearing out now and placing in recycling. Thanks go to this thread!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2018, 10:46 PM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Eyelets and brads are making a comeback. ;) I am actually stashing them now.

I save my individual fruit, pudding and yogurt cups. I am going to use them for painting. I never use them for painting because I grab my glass jars for painting. Then I think I will use them to hold little items that I am working with. I have a nice set of little trays I got at a Dollar Tree that I use instead.

I had to train myself to stop saving acetate from packages. I have really nice full size sheets of quality acetate I have gotten for a steal on Ebay and thrifting.

Straws- I like to do miniatures. Straws are a big one to make miniatures. I hardly use those straws. Least those don't go in the recycle bin. My cat sees me open my miniature stash box and her eyes get big. She runs up, grabs a straw out of the box and she goes running.

Paper trimmers. I can't stop buying them. I have a rotary trimmer, a guilliotine and I am eyeing the standard kind. I have donated so many over the years. I hardly use my trimmers. I use my craft knife & ruler.

I admit it I live for tiny paper scraps. The miniature thing again. All those scraps you are all throwing out I would be in heaven, lol. I have a photo box for scraps. When it gets full I set down and make embellishments.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2018, 11:35 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

I never met a bottle I didn't like - especially Modelo and Frappucino. I have great plans for them, but even I have to admit that the stash is getting unmanageable... I have all kinds of embellishments - eyelets, mirror shapes (trees, reindeer, snowman), wood shapes, ribbon slides, brads, and on and on - but I refuse to get rid of them. They all fit into my available storage and I WILL use them...eventually. I have to admit that NOTHING in my studio gets used regularly because it seems that I am always in the middle of an organization project. I just finished reading two books that have let me see these projects for what they really are - Resistance (Stephen Pressfield's War On Art) and Procrastination Projects (my own term, inspired by Austin Kleon's Steal Like an Artist). My goal this weekend is to find the table underneath the latest Procrastination Project and MAKE something!

Reply With Quote Likes