Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-22-2018, 06:59 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much stuff....not enough room

I am need of organization after 30 yerars of .ollecting sb stuff. I am in need of serious budget ideas. I have scoured sites to help but they are just beyond what I can do budget wise. It will take me yerars while I buy one piece of storage or organization piece. At one time I was married, which is why I have tons of stuff. But after becoming disabled and divorced I am left with all my stuff but no place to keep everything. I will next be in a one bedroom apt with not a room or extra closet.....I don't want to sound like a sad sack....I would love maybe a blog or something that helps .....I am not beneath buying baggies and using my moving boxes to set up shop again....I laugh but it is kinda true. I have binders that are filled and some other storage things....it's more about making a space that I can keep all this stuff. All ideas are welcomed and txs for reading.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2018, 05:41 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe the most simple & economical solution might be to buy some old bookcases at a garage sale or thrift store; paint them to coordinate with your bedroom? And use baskets, or even old shoeboxes covered with pretty paper, to hold your stuff? Baskets are a dime a dozen at thrift stores. Or plastic containers with lids that can be stacked on shelves, are cheap at dollar stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2018, 06:40 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

If you can or have someone to help you, scout thrift stores and yard sales. Almost all of my furniture and storage is used or recycled. And for a long time my scrap area was a corner of my bedroom. I just acquired pieces over time and made use of 'found' items. If I lived close I'd come help you out. I'm good at shoving as much as I can in s small space. LOL

Here's a couple of pics. The first one is the last setup I had in my bedroom before I took over my daughter's room after she started college. Everything is used except the CD drawers on left - and those I found on clearance one day at Staples. The shelf unit that holds the small pizza boxes of stamps I made myself using wood salvaged from something else. The second one is some time previous as once in awhile I'd reconfigure my space. I even used a wine crate to help create a shelf. (most of my 12x12 was in a bin under the desk)

And here's links to a couple older versions on my blog. So as you can see, Rome wasn't built in a day. LOL

Kaleidoscope Creations: scrap area v.4.0
Kaleidoscope Creations: Scrap area - version 3

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2018, 08:05 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Welcome, Zeldaba! I'm sorry you are facing a few challenges, but you've certainly come to the right place for support - Splitcoast is THE BEST!!!

If you don't need something "pretty", Harbor Freight has a workbench that is a workhorse and not overly expensive. It regularly goes on sale for $80-ish.

There is a built in light, a pegboard backing, and two electrical outlets on the side. You do have to build it yourself, but it is (in my opinion) definitely worth it. The drawers were built to hold tools so they can carry a lot of weight - like punches, for example. Instead of using the lower shelf, I only used the back support and two side supports to stabilize the workbench. I had a rolling cart of 12" papers and some Iris plastic drawers and such under there so that it was more functional for me. If you have room, you could support the other shelf on a couple of small bookcases or something to create a desk.

Pegboard hooks and baskets are cheap, so they can corral a lot of stuff. I had a basket with enamel dots and such, and another one with all of my adhesives. I had a larger basket that held my MISTIs, scoreboard and Big Shot plates and platforms. Scissors and tweezers were on hooks. At one point I even installed curtain rods to hold my washi tapes. Here's a link to the bench on Harbor Freight: 48 In. Workbench with Light

I also really like this set of boxes from Harbor Freight:

They are a great size for small embellishments and the like. They can be found here:24 Container Storage Box

Ikea is great for a lot of things. I have found a lot of uses for these inexpensive collapsible boxes:

They are the perfect size for embossing folders, Avery Elle pockets, Big Shot accessories, etc., and at $9.99 for a pack of three, they're pretty economical, too. They are here: SL�KTING Box - IKEA

Hopefully some of this might get the wheels turning. Keep in mind that you can use things for other than their intended purpose, and free is the best price. A cut-down cereal box can be repurposed as a magazine/cardstock holder, for example. Bottles, cans, boxes and bins that held food or other items can be used for ribbons, tools, embellishments, markers, leftover bits and bobs... Pinterest is a gold mine of clever storage, too, so that is another place to scope out. You can do this!

Last edited by gregzgurl; 05-24-2018 at 08:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2018, 11:55 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Zeldaba- I read a site called Thrifty Fun. There is a crafter who is disabled and has to live in small places. Her name is Sandi (PoorButProud) she has tons of articles on frugal craft organization. Her articles are really good. She has a lot of stash. She turned her bedroom into her living room/bedroom area. Turned her living room into a craft room. Another apartment she turned her closet into a craft room. I don't know if that suggestion is a help to go peek for her articles.

Can you organize your clothes differently? Like get a hanging rack for them and add a cute privacy screen to hide them then turn your closet area into a little craft room.

Can you do Freecycle and score some new storage that way? You might be able to get an old entertainment center and convert it to a craft armoire. Lots of cute ideas on Pinterest.

I store my things in baggies and photo boxes. Definitely Dollar Tree storage and thrifting. Most of my art studio is Dollar Tree and thrifting. I needed a place for my printer, lamintor, and Minc. I turned an old microwave shelf into a cute storage unit for those things as an example.

I get my storage boxes at Michael's when they go on sale 5/10. I like the plastic drawer boxes sold at WalMart, Dollar General etc... I love the way they stack. I use cute makeup bags to store things. I love tackle boxes or makeup boxes to store things in.

Hope that helps.

frugalscrapper- I LOVE YOUR CORNER!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2018, 07:33 PM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you for the suggestions. I love the idea of covering the shoeboxes! Will definitely try that out. Witih all my paper the hardest part will be picking out the pretty designs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2018, 07:39 PM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks. The bench idea is a good one. I could plan everything around it. And because space will be a problem there is plenty of room underneath to stack stuff. And then the bonus for the attached peg board. I liked the ways people use these. A great idea and I know just where harbor Freight is....who would ever look in that place for a table to scrapbook on!!! Lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2018, 07:42 PM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

I will check the post out...sounds like we are in a similar boat!...funny you mentioned tackle boxes....a neighbor just gave two of them. I think I will paint them a pretty lavender color...I love purple's! Thank you for the help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2018, 03:13 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 661 Likes on 415 Posts

I actually use clear tackle boxes that do not have any dividers in them in a closet stacked on a shelf they are holding ( everything ) sorted by color lumpy things. so, if you have a ton of that kind of thing. you can get teeny tiny ziploc baggies to hold say brads and such and a million of those baggies fit into one box. and because the boxes stack. losing all the packaging that things comes in saves a lot of space.

one thing maybe to think about in the future if you turn your bedroom closet into your craft space maybe get a bed that has drawers under it ( Captains bed?) or maybe those boxes that have wheels that are slim that slide under regular beds that you can move some of your clothes to if they do not all fit in a dresser? (or even your craft stash can hide there under the bed, if you can pull out what is not needed all the time like favorite tools)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2018, 03:07 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

All my storage is upcycled but one piece I bought at TJ Max. I love ❤️ the quirkiness of my stamp room.

most of my storage I already had in my home 🏡 and repurposed it but I think you could find items at garage sales or thrift store easily.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 05-27-2018 at 03:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2018, 03:08 AM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Zeldaba- I read a site called Thrifty Fun. There is a crafter who is disabled and has to live in small places. Her name is Sandi (PoorButProud) she has tons of articles on frugal craft organization. Her articles are really good. She has a lot of stash. She turned her bedroom into her living room/bedroom area. Turned her living room into a craft room. Another apartment she turned her closet into a craft room. I don't know if that suggestion is a help to go peek for her articles.

Can you organize your clothes differently? Like get a hanging rack for them and add a cute privacy screen to hide them then turn your closet area into a little craft room.

Can you do Freecycle and score some new storage that way? You might be able to get an old entertainment center and convert it to a craft armoire. Lots of cute ideas on Pinterest.

I store my things in baggies and photo boxes. Definitely Dollar Tree storage and thrifting. Most of my art studio is Dollar Tree and thrifting. I needed a place for my printer, lamintor, and Minc. I turned an old microwave shelf into a cute storage unit for those things as an example.

I get my storage boxes at Michael's when they go on sale 5/10. I like the plastic drawer boxes sold at WalMart, Dollar General etc... I love the way they stack. I use cute makeup bags to store things. I love tackle boxes or makeup boxes to store things in.

Hope that helps.

frugalscrapper- I LOVE YOUR CORNER!
I am trying to find the stuff about Sandi at thriftyfun.com. Do you have a link to any of the articles about setting up a space?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2018, 03:11 AM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

Zeldaba, looking for storage and organization ideas myself, I found ideas where they used regular cardboard boxes, sprayed them with adhesive spray and added fabric and/or paper to the outside. The pictures they showed, doing this made them look like something bought at Ikea or an expensive name brand store.
Also, something I need to remind myself of often - your craft room didn't get messy and you didn't get all of these things in one day so it's not going to be fixed in one day either. This is going to be a work in progress.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2018, 03:23 AM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Also for storing 12x12 paper I have used the free priority paid mailing boxes from the post office. Cut down and turn on side. If you get about six of them you can duct tape together so they don’t tip over.

Also the first place I look for storage is always my own kitchen. I spray painted very old muffin twins for storage of small pieces . I also used coffee filters to help separate things.

Christmas time and after Christmas is a good time to look for super fancy small boxes to store tags and small stuff in. It seems like for Christmas I get a lot of these little boxes with gifts inside. The little boxes make their way to my craft room. And then I put about six to eights small boxes in a big card board tray (the 18 pack Gatorade cardboard box) this sits on one of my shelves.

Good Luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2018, 03:49 AM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Also, maybe you have a Dollar Tree or other inexpensive store near you. Look for things in there that could be used for organization. With a coat of paint, no one would ever know what they truly were.
There are many things on the internet and Pinterest about Dollar Tree organization. Look for "cheap craft room organization" or "DIY organization ideas." Also, use ideas that they have for kitchen organization in your craft room. It just takes a little creativity sometimes. I tried looking for the cardboard box repurposing, but I couldn't find it. But there's lots of ideas for repurposing cardboard boxes!! Don't feel bad because I am in the same boat with you. I'm on disability,with a small craft area, and with a limited income too. My cardmaking supplies have gotten so out of control that I have also slowly began the organization thing. Good luck to you!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2018, 03:58 AM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriella18View Post
I am trying to find the stuff about Sandi at thriftyfun.com. Do you have a link to any of the articles about setting up a space?

I just found it because I wanted to look at her ideas.
The website is below.

Organizing Craft Supplies in a Small Space | ThriftyFun

*** The best of luck to you!!! Please post pictures when you finish. I know that i would love to see them!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2018, 05:23 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

Do you have Freecycle in your area? I have donated and received stuff on their site. It's completely free and you can find just about anything. Takes time but it could be an option. Thanks for the question. I also have a lifetime of stuff and not a great storage system.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2018, 06:41 AM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Most of us are on the hunt for inexpensive storage ideas...since we are not professionals etc we cant invest in/have full on craft rooms. I know someone who is storing under her bed in an apt. Whatever the reason, you are not alone in that.

If it ends up for whatever reason you dont want to use your paper to cover things, keep contact paper in mind. Available at hardware stores etc. Growing up we had no money and my mom used the dark wood to cover an old file cabinet....if it is at other gen stores like target or walmart...maybe when they have sale coupons you can save even more...
If you decide to repaint bookshelves from thrift, look at the "oops" section anywhere they sell paint bc they could be selling 30/gallon paint for 5. I use that all the time for inside closets. Or for walls if you like the color. All those are is they didnt get the custom color they wanted-not that it is a bad color.

I am not prying into your health, but if you can tell us what is hard for you to do...like you cant reach up or down or lift weight like big storage boxes or go up a step ladder... that would help us help you....and if you are good with tools or have friends who are...

You dont have to have a craft table. I have one and I still work on my dining table a lot because it is bigger. Just need a way to protect the surface like cheap vinyl picnic table cover from a sale bin. Waterproof. I suggest a solid so you dont "lose" stuff on it in the pattern when you are working like a die or clear stamp...you can cut it down to fit the end of the table if you want. So that is a piece of furniture you dont need. (we used vinyl topped round card table growing up for years as the dining table-with a cloth over it people dont know what it is-and then you might just take off the pretty cloth and work)

Keep the space behind your BR door in mind. Over the door racks or something on the wall-does not have to be very "deep" to store a lot. Spice racks are not deep but can hold tons. You might be able to do both! And as I said above, under the bed is valuable real estate.

If you cant find a pantry or free standing closet thing you like, keep in mind you can stack kitchen cabinets from the floor up in a row. Lowest read profile if they have a flat door. You could go neutral or bold for a pop of color. Or it can arch over a desk space if you have lot of them from an upcycle place.

If you find a wardrobe in the thrifts...you can probably convert the hanging clothes side to more shelving.

Hope something in there is useful or sparks an idea that is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2018, 10:16 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

A few other ideas that popped into my head:

I once converted a dresser I pulled off a curb (free is the BEST!) into two shelving units. I took all of the drawers out of the dresser and screwed them to each other by removing the pulls and screwing the front of one drawer to the back of another, and continued that until they were all screwed together, then upended the whole thing, shoved it in the closet and secured it to the wall with a couple of drywall screws. Since it was in the closet I didn't particularly care how it looked, just how it functioned, but it wasn't all that ugly, anyway. The dresser itself I just used as it was. The drawer guides could be a bit of a nuisance, but they reinforced the flat surfaces, so I left them in place. I've also seen drawers upended and screwed to the wall singly.

Shower curtain liners are cheap and cover a lot of real estate, so you could use one to protect your work surface, should you need to craft on "regular" furniture.

Dollar Tree is a great source for plastic storage in all kinds of varieties. I have all of my ink refills in containers that came in a 3-pack (6, if you count the lids). I've also used the wire "shelf" things in the kitchen section to raise things up off of a regular shelf to stack more in that space, and a spice turntable to make things more easily accessible.

If your bed is too low to be very usable for storage, you can always lift it by putting chunks of 4" x 4" under the legs (or cinder blocks). Amazon sells bed frames that are designed to raise the bed 12" off the floor (twin size was $55) and I have six or seven file-size boxes under the twin bed in my guest room, plus some miscellaneous other items.

Like I said before, using things for other than their intended purpose is a smart way to go. As a creative (indicated by the fact that you are a stamper/cardmaker/scrapper/crafter) you already have an imagination, so use it for your storage, too!

Last edited by gregzgurl; 05-30-2018 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2018, 07:36 PM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Shower curtain liners are cheap and cover a lot of real estate, so you could use one to protect your work surface, should you need to craft on "regular" furniture.

Great idea! I am fascinated by the dresser thing you did Sue!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2018, 10:43 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

The Great Room Swap | ThriftyFun

Organizing Craft Supplies In A Small Space | ThriftyFun

Large Medicine Bottle for Craft Supplies | ThriftyFun

Here is three I found quickly. She does have a lot more articles. If you click her name it should take you to some of her posts. She has been there since the beginning and there are a lot of posts.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2018, 10:52 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Since she is becoming disabled, raising the bed might not be a good idea. I'm having to deal with that right now. I just ordered a new mattress, boxspring set. The mattress is a pillow top, and I now have a difficult time getting into bed. I've had a pillow top before, but this one adds at least 6-8" to the height of the mattress. I just ordered a low profile bed frame so I won't fall and break my neck getting in and out of bed.

My suggestion is to get one of those chrome storage shelf units like at Sam's. I have 2 of these; they're 4 feet wide, six feet tall and 18" deep. And they have the heavy plastic liners to cover the shelves so things don't fall through. And they are heavy duty. You could use a pretty shower curtain to hide the contents if you wanted. If you get the right shower hooks, you can hang it directly from the top shelf.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2018, 07:51 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Since she is becoming disabled, raising the bed might not be a good idea. I'm having to deal with that right now. I just ordered a new mattress, boxspring set. The mattress is a pillow top, and I now have a difficult time getting into bed. I've had a pillow top before, but this one adds at least 6-8" to the height of the mattress. I just ordered a low profile bed frame so I won't fall and break my neck getting in and out of bed.

My suggestion is to get one of those chrome storage shelf units like at Sam's. I have 2 of these; they're 4 feet wide, six feet tall and 18" deep. And they have the heavy plastic liners to cover the shelves so things don't fall through. And they are heavy duty. You could use a pretty shower curtain to hide the contents if you wanted. If you get the right shower hooks, you can hang it directly from the top shelf.
Good call bringing this to attention, thanks. The bed frame that I referenced in my earlier post is one that doesn't require a box spring, just a mattress, so that could help with the height issue, plus it's already high enough off of the floor to be usable storage underneath. If you go to Amazon and search for "foldable bed frame" you can see the available options. I've tried several times to add a link, but my work computer is cranky about that, and it's not working...

Last edited by gregzgurl; 05-31-2018 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: remove link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2018, 09:24 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Heart

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post

Good point/suggestion, Linda E. I just LOVE!! the line under your signature: "Caution: You are entering an artistic zone. This is not clutter - this is creating. These are not pajamas - it's my work uniform." I want to make this my motto!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2018, 01:40 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

My main papercraft storage is on 3 plastic shelf sets I got at Lowe for a total of $45 or $60. They”re the kind with tubular plastic posts that fit in holes at the corner of each shelf. I sawed a bunch of the posts shorter, so that some of the shelves would hold two 12x12 iris cases stacked, because they're too heavy to maneuver, when they're full of paper. I used 3 sets of shelves to make a pair of floor-to+ceiling units that are next to each other. They hold a LOT. Although, it!s time for me to pull everything off again, destash and reorganize. I also just bought two wire closet shelves that are about 24” wide. I will hang them one above the other on the wall at the end of my little drop leaf table that was our first kitchen table. Getting the tools off the table top and onto the wall will give me more sapce to work, and allw me to close one of the table leaves to have more space in the room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2018, 05:57 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Great idea! I am fascinated by the dresser thing you did Sue!

I looked up the blog post I wrote about it, and it's here if you want to see more details: http://www.susanculotti.com/repurpos...-shelving.html

My blog has been inactive for a while and I even mostly cleared it out as far as what is currently publicly visible, but I'm toying with the idea of resurrecting it - we'll see how motivated I get in the near future...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2018, 08:47 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Good call bringing this to attention, thanks. The bed frame that I referenced in my earlier post is one that doesn't require a box spring, just a mattress, so that could help with the height issue, plus it's already high enough off of the floor to be usable storage underneath. If you go to Amazon and search for "foldable bed frame" you can see the available options. I've tried several times to add a link, but my work computer is cranky about that, and it's not working...

Sue, I had one of those frames and loved it! The storage capability was wonderful; I had bankers boxes stored! However, it didn't survive my last move; my 10-yr-old grandson claimed it for himself. As I was moving cross country, my space was limited and I gladly let him have it.

FWIW, I just got my low profile frame put together. Worst instructions I've ever read - almost lost my religion a couple of times! If someone had been watching, they would have choked with laughter. I had it backwards, upside down and cattywampus! But at least I don't need a ladder to get into bed now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2018, 09:35 PM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAKingsleyView Post
Do you have Freecycle in your area? I have donated and received stuff on their site. It's completely free and you can find just about anything. Takes time but it could be an option. Thanks for the question. I also have a lifetime of stuff and not a great storage system.

What could be better than free? Also keep an eye on Craigslist. People are always moving and getting rid of stuff.

Another idea to get cheap items, especially furniture is to checkout a college in May when students are moving out. Students are constantly trying to sell or get rid of furniture. I'm sure you could find a desk or shelves very inexpensively that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2018, 01:36 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

We think we will be moving to a smaller space and I will lose my large craft room because of real estate prices. I will have to make do with a guest room that has to have a guest bed in it besides my crafts. My advice is to downsize your crafts as much as possible. I broke apart all of my wood stamp sets and kept the ones I love and got rid of the excess pieces. I used the large plastic storage cases and grouped them together by categories. I love it! I've also seriously considered what I no longer use and have gotten rid of those things also. i'm finding that I'm more creative enjoying what I have out and not having to have everything cramped.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2018, 09:47 PM   #29  
Cardstock Collector

Default Help for too much stuff not enough room

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvingstampingView Post
I just found it because I wanted to look at her ideas.
The website is below.

Organizing Craft Supplies in a Small Space | ThriftyFun

*** The best of luck to you!!! Please post pictures when you finish. I know that i would love to see them!!!
Thanks for the Thrifty site.....wow so much to see and read. I only have 2 weeks before I move half way across the states so I can't make the time now. But as soon as I am in my new place..I will jump right onto her site. Thank you all for the great ideas. Keep on crafting and being in touch with people that need people.....such as I. It's nice to know you are there!!! I will be back..lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2018, 04:31 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Good luck with the move and safe travels!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2018, 07:25 AM   #31  
Cardstock Collector

I will be watching this thread closely. I need to organize what I have, and get rid of what I am not using. It seems like a huge task though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2018, 10:27 PM   #32  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerskkView Post
I will be watching this thread closely. I need to organize what I have, and get rid of what I am not using. It seems like a huge task though!

I have 30 years worth of craft stuff I have been sorting through for the last two months. It is a monumental task but totally worth it if I can actually use what I have again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2018, 09:11 AM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Less is truly more

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalathmerilView Post
I have 30 years worth of craft stuff I have been sorting through for the last two months. It is a monumental task but totally worth it if I can actually use what I have again.

It's easy to accumulate and go over board with craft supplies over the years. I've moved twice in the last couple years and with each move I purged, purged, purged to lighten my load tremendously, and I still have enough paper, embellishments, and mixed media products to last me for years. I kept tools, machines and products that I use. When they are used up, or break down only then I will replace them if needed.
So far I have not missed any of the materials I departed with nor do I plan on replacing them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2018, 09:12 AM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerskkView Post

It can be done. Keep weeding it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2018, 09:27 AM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

In addition, stop buying organizational products! Condense what you have into a designated spot/container selecting only what you use. This has help me tremondously and I have donated a lot of organizational products as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #36  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 493 Likes on 272 Posts

Quote:

Also for storing 12x12 paper I have used the free priority paid mailing boxes from the post office. Cut down and turn on side. If you get about six of them you can duct tape together so they don�t tip over.

Also the first place I look for storage is always my own kitchen. I spray painted very old muffin twins for storage of small pieces . I also used coffee filters to help separate things.

Christmas time and after Christmas is a good time to look for super fancy small boxes to store tags and small stuff in. It seems like for Christmas I get a lot of these little boxes with gifts inside. The little boxes make their way to my craft room. And then I put about six to eights small boxes in a big card board tray (the 18 pack Gatorade cardboard box) this sits on one of my shelves.

Good Luck
Just a heads up- those boxes are not "free"- they are included in the price of shipping. If you are caught just taking them for personal use, it's theft. If too many folks do this, it's not unlikely that the PO will either restrict access to the boxes, raise postage (sound familiar?), or charge for the boxes.

If you are recycling boxes you've received in the mail, that's perfectly acceptable. Going in to the PO and helping yourself to a pile of Priority boxes to use for storage is not.

Also, those boxes are certainly not acid free or archival, and may ruin your paper if stored in them for a long time.

If you want truly free boxes, ask at places like Staples, Office Max or Office Depot, Kinkos, etc. You may be able to score nice boxes with lids. I used to get them from our local Office Max.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2018, 07:06 AM   #37  
Glitter Queen

I completely understand. I spent most of the last 10 years buying faster than I was creating. Life was just so busy but I never lost the desire. Once I finally started finding time to create again I was SO overwhelmed by all the supplies I had I wasn't sure where to start and that bogged me down even more. So what I did and seems to really be helping me is I went through all my stuff, and donated paper and embellishments I didn't "love" anymore to local elementary and preschools. (there was still quite a lot of items I loved and just couldn't find it within me to let go of). Old stamps and dies and tools that I felt I could let go of I sold or gave to friends. Everything remaining got sorted. Items I loved the most are left readily accessible (these are my 3 star supplies). everything else was boxed up in collections (matching paper/stamps/embellishments). I'm pulling out one box of the older items I still love and trying to just create cards. I'll never need so many cards I can make with these supplies (because I am sure I'll continue to buy new stuff as I am able) but I love to donate cards, there are so many great organizations. It makes me happy just to be finally making something with the supplies I loved enough to spend my hard earned money! and I don't stress over (or even allow myself to look at) the other boxes until they are opened. Small bites and baby steps! (and I'm trying very hard to have some self control and not buy EVERYTHING I see that I love and challenge myself to use the new things I see as inspiration to use what I have to create a similar project). I wish you the best of luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2018, 08:06 AM   #38  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThisChickStampsView Post
...So what I did and seems to really be helping me is I went through all my stuff, and donated paper and embellishments I didn't "love" anymore to local elementary and preschools. (there was still quite a lot of items I loved and just couldn't find it within me to let go of). Old stamps and dies and tools that I felt I could let go of I sold or gave to friends. Everything remaining got sorted. ...

I watched The Frugal Crafter on YouTube do her Konmari declutter and I have been trying to keep that mentality of just keeping what I love and gives me joy (and temper that with what will fit into my finite space lol). Much of what I have done is just organize everyone's crafting supplies and such (I share space with my DH and two DDs) into some sort of logical order, throw away things that are no good and packaging that was taking up space, and give away things we know we won�t use. I managed to let go of 1/3 to 1/2 of the fabric I have accumulated over the years, but my stamping supplies are much harder to part with. And now I have organized and culled through everything I can and can no longer put off the part I have been dreading, my stamp collection 😫. Baby steps 😁. Still, this has already freed up a remarkable amount of space. I have also found so many things I had forgotten I had, it is almost like Christmas every time I start organizing something else.

Quote:

... It makes me happy just to be finally making something with the supplies I loved enough to spend my hard earned money! ...
This is why I was so happy to find the SCS group. I am looking forward to the challenges giving me some direction for my desire to create, joining some swaps, and and sending out some RAKs 😁!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2018, 11:39 AM   #39  
Stampin' Fool

I admit letting go is hard to do. I get my motivation from listening to audio books on the subject and streaming Youtube videos while I'm purging so it's like being coached along.
Here's a start Andrew Mellen Professional Organizer NYC - YouTubeOnce I've gone through the process, I feel much lighter and liberated and I have taken inventory along the way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2018, 05:59 AM   #40  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zeldaba, yes, I too have way too much stuff (still buying) and no space. Currently I am in a small 2 bedroom apartment. I shopped at Goodwill and I'm glad I did because I got 3 carpet sample towers. They fit 12x12 paper pads (not the HL big paper pads). Maybe you can see if stores that sell carpet may have some they're not using and you could purchase. They're heavy so you'll need some teenagers or movers but trust me, it will be worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes