Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-07-2018, 12:51 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OMG - This is what I've been missing out on all this time...

I used a stamp positioner last night for the very first time.

OMG.

It was AMAZING.

I mentioned in another thread I'm currently making 200 cards - 40 cards a night for the next 5 days. The first one I made was with 2 rubber stamps. And the color I was using was still in an SU Linen pad since I rarely use it. It took so much energy to ink it up and then press the wood stamp down - and dealing with placement even though I eyeball it. I zoomed through the whole thing but not without my hands hurting.

Thankfully the other set I used was Love and Laughter - a cling mount set by SU. A while back I had bought this little teal Hampton Art positioner for maybe $10 at Michael's when they were pulled from the shelves. I have never used it since I bought it. So I thought - I want to get this over with as soon as possible - making these multiples - let's see what people are talking about.

Seriously. OMG. My cake was perfectly aligned. The little heart I added was exactly where I wanted it each and every time. When it didn't fully stamp, I could stamp again.

Mind Blown. That was me.

And no wonder ink spots are everywhere now. At least this ink pad was a foam SU pad so I barely had to use pressure to ink up the stamp, but ink was everywhere from the larger pads. All over the acrylic top. And my hands still have ink on them today.

I get it now. I'm very late on this bandwagon. But I am certainly glad I got on it!!!

This little thing has no bells and whistles. And squeaks every time I open and close the top. It's definitely made for right handed people and I'm left handed. So I can certainly imagine upgrading to the Tim Holtz smaller positioner. But either way, for $10 - best investment ever.

Last edited by Catherine773; 05-07-2018 at 12:55 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2018, 02:53 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Yeah, I'm late on most bandwagons, but I got a MISTI when they were still being handmade by the inventor, so early on that particular one. Like you said - Mind Blown.
I have the original and the smaller version. Glad it was a happy day for you!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2018, 08:47 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 860 Likes on 513 Posts

I know, I love mine too. I have the teal one you mentioned and the WeR Precision Press that I got for an awesome price a while back. The Precision Press didn't come with magnets on the back, so after seeing a tutorial about gluing the magnets to the back, I did it. Otherwise, you would just use washi tape to hold paper down. I thought something was wrong with it the other day when I went to use it, and it wouldn't press down far enough to get a good impression. So I looked at the Tim Holtz one and read the reviews. One of the reviews mentioned they had to add a mat cushion for some of the really thin stamps. I thought "DuH", That was so obvious, why didn't I think of that. Especially when the Hampton Arts one came with a mat. I guess we all have those blank moments though. ;) So I cut out a piece of fun foam to fit the Precision Press and, it works great! So I am a Happy Camper too! So glad you are enjoying yours also!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2018, 12:48 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have one that is clear perspex, and 'L' shape, and an acrylic plate. Had it since I started stamping about 15 years ago. I've used it so much, and in fact was the reason I thought I'd never need one of the stamping platforms. Then Tim brought out his, at a very sensible price, and I fell for it, lol. Must admit, it has bonuses that the positioner doesn't- no matter how much ink you manage to get on the edge of a stamp, it doesn't transfer, not does any that gets on your fingers, so it's a win in my book.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2018, 10:13 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I have one that is clear perspex, and 'L' shape, and an acrylic plate. Had it since I started stamping about 15 years ago. I've used it so much, and in fact was the reason I thought I'd never need one of the stamping platforms. Then Tim brought out his, at a very sensible price, and I fell for it, lol. Must admit, it has bonuses that the positioner doesn't- no matter how much ink you manage to get on the edge of a stamp, it doesn't transfer, not does any that gets on your fingers, so it's a win in my book.
I had that exact positioner for about 15 years also. It was kind of a pain to use. Eventually I got a MISTI, and a Tim Holtz, and last month bought a StampAMaJig from S.U. I LOVE IT. Almost as much as the Tim Holtz platform. Each has a function that the other doesn't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2018, 10:18 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Yay Catherine! Love my stamping platforms (have too many), especially the mini Tim one.

I'm intrigued by your comment about yours clearly having been made for righties. If you're opening it like a book, you can't just flip it so it's turned the other way? While the ruler would go in the wrong direction (I think?) the measurements would still be right. I don't think I ever use the ruler, actually. Educate me! Or you could stick other rulers on in the correct direction?

Last edited by bjeans; 05-10-2018 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: typo - should be rulers, not rules
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2018, 05:35 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a MISTI. I think it does a great job, but don't use it unless I need exact consistency. I am very curious for those who have a MISTI, Tim Holtz one (s), and the new SU one - you said each had its advantage at different times. Could you contrast and compare them, as I am thinking of getting one more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2018, 05:42 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I am late to the bandwagon as well. I thought a stamp platform would take the fun out of my stamping...now I can't wait to get one, but I can't decide which one!!!!! HELP!!!! Tim Holtz, Misti, or SU new stamparatus???????? The less room it takes on my desk the better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2018, 06:23 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

I have the regular and small sized Misti and Tim platform. They all work fine. Favorite is in the eye of the beholder.

Tim platforms are quite sturdy, good for CPR stampers who put one hand over another and press. The metal rod and metal reinforced hinges are a big plus - for me. (There are hairline cracks in the older Misti, though performance is still 100%.) The curve on the lid edge makes it easy to grab. (I attached a washi tape tab to the Misti for easier grabbing.) Having two open sides is nice. Using the regular sized platform, I think you can stamp in the middle of a 12x12 piece of paper?

Flipping the Tim lid for rubber or photopolymer stamps is easy. I like not dealing with the foam piece. Some people have said they do need to use foam for for certain stamps. I have some rubber stamps from Sweden that are thinner than some photopolymer stamps, so use the clear side for those.

The regular sized Tim platform is a little too long for my short arms to comfortably use vertically like Tim does, so it's placed horizontally like a book. That means it needs a larger clear space than the more compact regular Misti.

Some (not all) in a batch of Tim regular platforms didn't give a perfect impression. Tonic will replace those.

Now that I have the small Tim, it's my favorite. Features are identical to the regular sized one. Neoprene zippered sleeves are made for both - like thick wetsuit material.

When setting up two platforms, it's the small Tim and the small Misti. And I still love my acrylic blocks!

Just my take - YMMV!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2018, 06:36 AM   #10  
Glitter Queen

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I have three plus that acrylic "jig"...

I used the L-shaped jig for years as well and hated it.

So when I finally found the MISTI I rushed out and bought it (the original) --- and then WON one at Simon Says Stamp Create! So I have two. I bought the corner positioners for it and a stronger bar magnet as well as an acetate grid. I use only one --- never figured out the corner positioners and acetate grid so they live in the unused one. I NEVER use the grid paper either --- not at all sure what value it is. I use this one ALL the time! Habit, I guess. My cons: closed sides so you are limited to smaller pieces of cardstock and I HATE having to pull out the mat each time I want to use cling rubber. Also, the bar magnet is a tad thicker than the little discs that came with it and causes the top to lift up a bit so you can't stamp NEAR it. But the bar magnet is strong enough to keep that card in place while the discs allow it to shift a little, especially with clear stamps that are sticky when un-inked.

I bought the WRMK one before it was pulled and used it once. I like that it has two open sides so I could use larger pieces of cardstock if I wanted. But I did NOT like that it needed to use wash tape to keep the card in place. And despite the rubberized back, it did shift about on my craft tabletop. Also, it feels like it has a larger footprint than the MISTI and my work space is cramped so opening it to ink it was a pain. (Yes, I know, clean up my work space. Can't help it --- I'm a messy stamper!).

I bought BOTH of Tim's platforms (I'm a Holtz addict and while I do not travel much so I don't really NEED the smaller travel-sized one...) and have yet to use either! I do like that I don't have to mess with changing out rubber mats for cling rubber and that it has two open sides so I can use larger cardstock pieces/cards. And a totally useless pro - I LOVE how Tonic packaged the travel-sized one - reminds me of how Apple creates their computer packaging!

All are easy to clean too (I don't like stained tools - but if it does get excess ink, it doesn't transfer like it di d on that jig). I use stamp cleaner if a damp rag doesn't work.

My only con for ALL of them is I keep forgetting to remove my stamps when done and come back the next day to find one still stuck to the lid! That one is on me... not the platforms.

For the person who is a leftie --- you can turn the MISTI (or the other platforms) any way you want --- open on the left, away from you or on the right. Even toward you, I guess if you are so inclined! I'm a righty but was astounded when was told I use it like a leftie! Yes, the measurements are backwards then but I find I never use them anyway (I use the etched grid in the lit and the printed grid on the platform to position things like sentiments...) --- I just jam the card in the corner and go for it! LOL

Last edited by thatyank; 05-09-2018 at 06:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2018, 08:45 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the Misti and the Stamparatus - but am really looking at Tim's Platform - I like that it accomodates both sizes of stamps without adjusting the mats. Is it worth it for me to buy that third one? Thanks for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2018, 08:52 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I have the small MISTI and the regular-sized Tim Holtz. I love them both - the larger one in my craft room, and the small one in my take-along bag. Before I got one, my husband made me one that measures 9x12, then another one because he wanted to fix his "mistakes" once he figured out a better way!! I honestly don't use them much anymore. I'm thinking that one will find a home in our RV. Also before getting them, I made a few little temporary stamp positioners with some of my extra SU cases - the DVD size. The ladies in my classes absolutely love them, they're easy to pack and carry around, and CHEAP. Several of the ladies purchased stamp positioners after they learned how easy it is to stamp with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2018, 09:00 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by casmilesView Post
I've got the Misti and the Stamparatus - but am really looking at Tim's Platform - I like that it accomodates both sizes of stamps without adjusting the mats. Is it worth it for me to buy that third one? Thanks for your thoughts.

Honestly? I think that's something only you would know. The smaller Tim platform is the one I'd keep if I could only have one, both for home and classes. Since I'm a card maker I don't generally need larger. But they all work. I had one other I didn't like (WRMK), but others do. So it's a personal choice.

My tool addiction is alive and well.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Which do u like better the Misti or the stamparatus????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

In my opinion, yes. The only decision is whether you want the big one or the smaller one. I have the larger one, and I use it about equally with my MISTI - but I'm probably going to get the smaller one, just for size on my workspace. Plus, I occasionally have friends and family who want to come play with me, and more tools means more fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2018, 01:18 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the smaller MISTI and the regular Tim Holtz platform...for quick small pieces, I use the MISTI and if I am stamping multiple items or often, I use the T. Holtz one.

I like them both, clean up is easier on the Holtz platform it seems. I like the open sides of it ...I make mostly A7 sized cards and it is handy to just put the card in and arrange the stamps.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2018, 01:37 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the original, larger sized, MISTI and just purchased a Stamparatus. Each has their advantages. I like the open sides of the Stamparatus (Tim Holtz has that too) and find it very useful with the two flaps...I can stamp two images without changing the stamps when I'm in full production or using a two stamp image.
I'm a CPR stamper so the Stamparatus (Tim Holtz too) feels better, like I won't break the hinges.
The Stamparatus is easy to clean, as is the Tim Holtz.
I adore the MISTI because it came first and I liked the story of the way it came to life. It made me a better stamper too. I can't imagine crafting without a stamp positioner now.
Gee, perhaps I should buy a Tim Holtz too?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by edie453View Post
I have the original, larger sized, MISTI and just purchased a Stamparatus. Each has their advantages. I like the open sides of the Stamparatus (Tim Holtz has that too) and find it very useful with the two flaps...I can stamp two images without changing the stamps when I'm in full production or using a two stamp image.
I'm a CPR stamper so the Stamparatus (Tim Holtz too) feels better, like I won't break the hinges. <SNIP>
CPR?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2018, 04:16 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

If you watch Tim Holtz, he makes fun of stampers that pump on the stamp as if they are performing CPR. He's funny.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2018, 05:44 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Stamping Tools

I, too, have the small MISTI and the large Tim Holtz. I really appreciate them as my arthritic thumbs are finding it hard to hang onto blocks. I tend as the to reach for the Tim Holtz platform more than the MISTI. I regret the smallness of the MISTI, and don't find it as flexible as the TH. If I had neither, though, I would look seriously at the SU Stamparatus. It has a large bed, it has multiple setting for clear mounts and photopolymer, and the multiple hinges can be used to create regular patterns. You just move the platform lid up a hinge to stamp again -- you can create a border very quickly. Add Gina K's stamp positioner guides for stamping in the round and -- whoa! Serious fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2018, 06:04 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Stampaholic Nano (mini), Stamparatus, Reg. Tim Holtz and Travel Tim Holtz. I love them all, but my favorite is the Travel Tim Holtz. It's the perfect size, and with 2 open sides it can stamp anything!!!!!!!!!!!
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2018, 09:40 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by edie453View Post
If you watch Tim Holtz, he makes fun of stampers that pump on the stamp as if they are performing CPR. He's funny.

Yes, always! "For those of you who are CPR stampers - you know who you are..." And when he says that he puts one hand over the back of the other as if giving CPR.

I'm a CPR stamper, just automatic. He added the metal reinforced hinges for us. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2018, 12:43 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

i found his CPR stamper reference funny too. Must admit, those metal hinges were one of it's biggest selling points to me. No way are they ever going to break.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2018, 04:53 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Jumping back in with a comment and a question...

I use my smaller MISTI almost exclusively, never use any of the grids or grid paper, very rarely use the magnets, almost always use the foam (all of my rubber is nekkid, so about the same thickness as photopolymer.

Given all of that, does anyone who has both think that I'd be happier with the smaller Tim tool? I've never seen one "up close and personal", so I'm flying blind here. I'm sort of leaning that direction because of my never-ending quest to consolidate, and since it has two open sides I could use it even for the rare times that I need something larger, and only have one platform. I'm still determined to be completely consolidated and mobile eventually... Thanks for any/all input!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2018, 05:06 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

I have not seen Tim Holts platforms that everyone keeps talking about. I am wondering if SU's Stamparatus wouldn't be the way to go. I believe it has open sides plus with two reversible "doors" and the multiple positions of the "doors" We need this thread to get up and running again in June after more people have been using the Stamparatus. Can anyone give feedback comparing them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2018, 05:55 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

I am loving this!!!! Can't wait to buy one! Can someone please tell us more about stamparatus??? How large is it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2018, 06:10 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Jumping back in with a comment and a question...

I use my smaller MISTI almost exclusively, never use any of the grids or grid paper, very rarely use the magnets, almost always use the foam (all of my rubber is nekkid, so about the same thickness as photopolymer.

Given all of that, does anyone who has both think that I'd be happier with the smaller Tim tool? I've never seen one "up close and personal", so I'm flying blind here. I'm sort of leaning that direction because of my never-ending quest to consolidate, and since it has two open sides I could use it even for the rare times that I need something larger, and only have one platform. I'm still determined to be completely consolidated and mobile eventually... Thanks for any/all input!

I think there are a few posts in this thread from some of us with both who reach more for the Tim that might give you a few clues? Trying to better parse why, I guess it would be open sides, like you mentioned. There's the overall toughness of the platform plus the metal rod and reinforced hinges instead of all plastic that all other platforms have. I like the easy-open lid (swoopy piece), and for travel, the neoprene sleeve, which isn't adding a bulkier case. Plus it isn't particular about what you clean it with.

I don't use grid paper either, Sue, though occasionally use a little grid acetate sheet that I got from SSS to check placement of letters put together as words, or a few fussy stamps. Once in a blue moon I use Misti corners in the Tim.

If you do end up getting one, prices vary - I got mine from scrapbook.com for $19.99, I think, plus inexpensive shipping.

Mobile sounds tough! Maybe if I had a crafting trailer attached to the main RV... ;)

ETA: It doesn't actually have hinges that open/close. There's a swivel action instead.

Last edited by bjeans; 05-11-2018 at 07:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2018, 06:43 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckstampcrazyView Post
I am loving this!!!! Can't wait to buy one! Can someone please tell us more about stamparatus??? How large is it?

Here's info on the Stamparatus:

STAMPARATUS 146276 $49.00
A must-have tool for all stampers, the Stamparatus helps you perfectly alignstamp images, stamp multiples of the same project quickly and precisely, andget complete ink coverage. It works well with clear-mount rubber stamps andphotopolymer stamps. The Stamparatus was created by stampers for stampers,so it has all the features you want: 2 magnets to hold the paper in place; foam matfor use with photopolymer stamps; rulers on 2 sides for quick measuring; 2 openedges so you can use larger paper; 2 reversible plates for 4 sides to work with;magnet storage areas. Additional magnets available separately. 8" x 8" x 7/8".
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2018, 07:01 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brenda71View Post
Here's info on the Stamparatus:

STAMPARATUS 146276 $49.00
A must-have tool for all stampers, the Stamparatus helps you perfectly alignstamp images, stamp multiples of the same project quickly and precisely, andget complete ink coverage. It works well with clear-mount rubber stamps andphotopolymer stamps. The Stamparatus was created by stampers for stampers,so it has all the features you want: 2 magnets to hold the paper in place; foam matfor use with photopolymer stamps; rulers on 2 sides for quick measuring; 2 openedges so you can use larger paper; 2 reversible plates for 4 sides to work with;magnet storage areas. Additional magnets available separately. 8" x 8" x 7/8".
I am SOLD!!! I don't know if I can wait until June!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2018, 07:58 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Yay Catherine! Love my stamping platforms (have too many), especially the mini Tim one.

I'm intrigued by your comment about yours clearly having been made for righties. If you're opening it like a book, you can't just flip it so it's turned the other way? While the ruler would go in the wrong direction (I think?) the measurements would still be right. I don't think I ever use the ruler, actually. Educate me! Or you could stick other rulers on in the correct direction?

I will have to take a look tonight as to why I felt like this was difficult being left handed the Hampton Art Stamp Perfect Positioner. I loved what I was able to do with this - but I know I felt like I couldn't get it in a position I was easily comfortable with. I'll pay attention tonight and post an update! But I also don't plan on using this one for long, I'm going to get the TH travel one. Sounds like that one might not squeak or be hard to clean But regardless, this $10 bucks was the best $10 bucks spent! I think the quality of my life just went up big time. Especially not having to push so hard on the stamps - I have some good and bad hand days, so this helps immensely!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2018, 09:00 AM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
i found his CPR stamper reference funny too. Must admit, those metal hinges were one of it's biggest selling points to me. No way are they ever going to break.
Shaz, I've been calling them hinges all along too, but when watching a Tim video - admittedly searching for a CPR stamper bit - suddenly realized Tim points out there aren't any hinges. There's a pivot motion: the upper, metal-lined open pieces pivot around the metal rod. No hinges!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2018, 09:06 AM   #32  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine773View Post
I will have to take a look tonight as to why I felt like this was difficult being left handed the Hampton Art Stamp Perfect Positioner. I loved what I was able to do with this - but I know I felt like I couldn't get it in a position I was easily comfortable with. I'll pay attention tonight and post an update! But I also don't plan on using this one for long, I'm going to get the TH travel one. Sounds like that one might not squeak or be hard to clean But regardless, this $10 bucks was the best $10 bucks spent! I think the quality of my life just went up big time. Especially not having to push so hard on the stamps - I have some good and bad hand days, so this helps immensely!

I just looked for it on line, and funnily enough the first video I saw showed it with the ruler upside down. So she flipped it the other direction. My sense is that many people don't use the ruler for actual measuring - I don't either - so it wouldn't matter whether it's opened left to right or right to left. But I'm all for enabling you to buy the Tim platform, so don't let that stop you. ;)

Last edited by bjeans; 05-11-2018 at 09:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2018, 09:30 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

If I didn't already own the MISTI and then was lucky to be able to buy the Stamparatus early, I would have bought the Tim Holtz. I am not a TH fan club member but really enjoy the few items I have from his line. The quality is great. The Stamparatus has open sides, easy to move lids (2 of them which is crazy nice with doing multi step stamps and/or mass production) and sturdy hinges. It has another feature where you can slightly move the lid so you can stagger an image/sentiment. It's not easy to describe but a feature I enjoy.
Jackie Boluis, a SU demo, has a series of quick videos which demonstrate the Stamparatus. She is very good at the videos and if you're interested you should watch. So far she has 5 videos. Stamparatus Basics Part 1 | Klompen Stampers
Or you could just buy them all!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2018, 09:39 AM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

Just fast forward to 3:05 for a brief comment/demo about CPR stampers. (I wish we could just post the link and it wouldn't turn into the video.) There are tons of reviews plus videos from Tim, but the point of posting this is for 30 seconds of CPR.

https://m.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2018, 06:11 PM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm a big fan of the Tim Holtz stamp platforms. I have lots of both clear stamps and red rubber on foam, so with a Misti I was having to remove the foam and put it back in over an over and found it quite annoying! I love being able to just flip the lid.

A new favorite trick that I just learned at stamp convention: to use background stamps to cover a whole card front sized piece of cardstock magnets will not work. (They get in the way of making contact with the whole piece.) Instead, put a few strips of removable snail adhesive on the base of your large platform, put the paper on it, stamp away, then carefully remove the completely stamped piece. A total game changer! It will keep working over and over, so I'm just leaving it on my large platform and using the travel size when I want to use the magnets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2018, 04:58 AM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

Good tip! For non SU peeps, poster tape works, or other repositional double-sided tape or runner. If it's not repositional, you can remove some stickiness by sticking the tape to your arm, jeans, hand first.

For those who have never used platforms, if you butt your cardstock right into the corner, you can get away with no magnets or tape, and double or triple stamp if you need to, as long as you butt the CS back in the corner.

I've used poster tape if using slightly warped watercolor paper or similar.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2018, 09:42 AM   #37  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I’ve used an older version of the MISTI for years and love it. But I couldn’t help succumbing to a 50% off sale at Joann’s for the TH platform. I tried it out right away and was having a devil of a time getting clear impressions, both for rubber stamps and clear. Now I’m wondering if it’s one of the defective batches mentioned above. Does anyone have more details on that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by hultenlkView Post
I�ve used an older version of the MISTI for years and love it. But I couldn�t help succumbing to a 50% off sale at Joann�s for the TH platform. I tried it out right away and was having a devil of a time getting clear impressions, both for rubber stamps and clear. Now I�m wondering if it�s one of the defective batches mentioned above. Does anyone have more details on that?

Some (not all) in a batch were defective, and if you're using the correct side of the top - clear or rubber - and not getting a good impression, just call and/or email Tonic.

Unmounted rubber stamps may need the clear side. A few Swedish stamps I have are even thinner than my photopolymer stamps, so need an extra piece or two of CS underneath to "thicken" them. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2018, 07:06 PM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm also late to jump on......I don't have any positioner., not even a stampingmajig.!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2018, 12:25 PM   #40  
Kookie Creator

I LOVE the new stamp positioners! I do many shoebox type kits so I have bought several as they stay with the kits until completed. I have a Misty, Hampton's, Tim Holtz's, Stampin Ups, and my DIY one that I made. That was my first and it showed me just how much I would use one. I couldn't believe how nice it was not to fill the waste basket with misprints. I would have at least 3 to a dozen stamped images. I hate crooked stamping and finally I can make a dozen and have a dozen good images to use! Anyway, I was an avid wood block stamp lover until I got the stamp positioners! I even unmounted all my wood stamps to cling! That was scary so I just did a drawer full to begin the process. I know all of you are asking, which one I like best of the five. I have to say that they all have good and bad features. I love the double doors and the movable slot feature (to stamp an image at different positions without moving the stamp) of the SU one. But hate that it doesn't stamp well next to the hinge. I have side stepped this with using a right angle magnetic spacer from the Misti tool section. With the two doors and the magnetic spacer and the foam pad for spacing, it's a lot to carry anywhere. Tim Holtz's is large and works well and is open on two sides so you can use it for stamping on 12x12. I like a lined grid though and had to add my own.
My Misti is the original size, not the mini. I love it but I don't like that they require their stamp cleaner to keep any warranty. It's a little large to carry with you....thinking about a mini. A regular Misti didn't come with all the add ons like the spacers, the mouse pad type foam insert, cleaners, etc. So by the time you buy everything...it's spendy and the most expensive! My Hampton one is used the most as the price was cheap with a coupon, the size is right to carry, and you can use any cleaner on it. My DYI one is still a good one to carry in my bag all the time. It's made with a DVD case so it fits well and although flimsy, it works. I however don't have magnetics in that and have to use Washi tape.
Tip: I use medical tape (white with the nylon in it) to wrap my magnets and I leave a tab. I also taped a tab onto my door so that I had something to grab more easily to open.
Reply With Quote Likes