Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-29-2018, 05:07 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you make sure your layers are even and straight?

I need help!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2018, 05:39 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the grid paper pad from Stampin’ Up! I make sure the bottom layer is straight and lined up on that grid. I HAVE TO STAND UP. No matter how straight I THINK it looks while sitting, if I attach it then hold it up, it’s ALWAYS off.

First, verify the layer CAN be straight. Line it up before attaching any adhesive. This way you can shift it around see what the margin should look like, basically verify that it has been cut straight.

So I stand, since I am right-handed I hold the layer I’m attaching in my right hand, place my left hand next to the bottom layer to keep it from moving, then eyeball the margin along the left side, top and bottom. I figure if those three edges look good, it’s as straight as it’s gonna’ get!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2018, 06:41 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I also use my grid paper and a small T-square...really helps me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2018, 10:22 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Perfect Layers rulers! I eyeball a lot of stuff but the rulers are super-useful when I remember to use them and you can use them for any straight sided shapes. I can�t find the ones I have but this We R Memory Keepers set work exactly the same way.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2018, 10:35 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

I use this tool: Layer Plus Tool | KOOL TAK
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2018, 02:56 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

hold the diagonal corners as you place the next layer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2018, 06:07 PM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

This is why I got the layer die sets from spellbinders. This is just A but if you get both A&B they give you layers that are closer. Cutting is a problem for me. So this way my layer cuts are straight cut. And it looks like they are having a sale. They also come in A7 size.

Nestabilities A-2 Matting Basics A Card Creator Etched Dies

Laying them down is another thing. LOL. I try to line up with three sides-the spine and the top bottom. If the opening side is too wide I can trim that out.

The diagonal corners sounds intriguing...

Perfect layer rulers:

** Check your base card. If that is off, nothing you do to the top layers will make it ok. Esp with pre cut ones. The cheaper ones can be wonky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2018, 04:46 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Default I have all those tools

I have the Soellbinders layer sets A and B and forgot all about them. I also have the perfect layers rulers sets ( both the card size and the 12 in one). Any tips for perfect Layers when making more than one layer?
My experience is when you try to add a 3rd layer the rulers wobble.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2018, 05:59 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I used to look down at the entire card to align layers, but took a tip from several videos to just focus on the top two corners. If the top corners are placed correctly, the entire layer will be aligned. Honing in on that small area instead of looking up, down and to the sides, while possibly unintentionally moving the layer, helped a lot.

Using an adhesive - whether tape runner or liquid - that will allow you to shift the paper for a bit may also help.

Layering top down instead of bottom up works best for me. IOW, smallest layer on top of next layer down, then those two on the next or bottom layer.

I have a rubber mat that you put layers upside down on, butted to edges, to align. I don't use it but will try to find the video that shows it.

ETA: I watched someone use this tool for aligning (not cutting), and it was very simple, just one tool placed on the paper with a layer butted against it. (It's plastic reinforced with metal.) I watched some videos when I considered buyingit. If you want to watch any and can't find them, just yell. Lots of places sell it - Staples, Walmar, SSS, Overstock, etc: https://www.amazon.com/KOOL-TAK-Klp-.../dp/B00BIGLS2Y

Last edited by bjeans; 05-01-2018 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2018, 07:32 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 358 Likes on 197 Posts

I eyeball it. But I have to stand up to do it. I usually do a pretty good job of it. I started sewing at age 10 and have been crafting of some sort ever since. My SU demo says "it's handmade, not Hallmark," but I imagine even Hallmark has their blunders!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Oops - I missed that Vic already posted about the Kook Tac tool before I did. Here's a another video showing Kristina Werner using it too. It's the simplest tool I've seen.

https://m.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2018, 11:15 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

OT - The tool can also be used for drawing curves or circles, for placing gems or doing faux stitching, and more. Who knew? I doubt I'd use it for many of the extras, but for pinging up something-or-other or faux stitching I might. :shock: Enabling myself.

https://m.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2018, 01:24 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

Thanks Vic for posting about the Kool Tac. Now, I want one! Also another tip is putting adhesive on first and then go over it with a glue stick and you can move it around to get it straight if you have put it on a bit crooked to begin with. Once you have it all straight, then you can burnish it down to set it. I have these Elmer Sticks:
Elmer's 60627 Repositionable School Glue Stick, 15g (0.53 Oz.) Each, 2-pack: Amazon.ca: Office Products
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2018, 07:19 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

I have one of the very first Perfect Layers tools they made. It is a L shape acrylic ruler with increment marks on it to line up your layers perfect every time...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I eyeball it. I do have a perfect layers tool but I don't like to use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2018, 12:25 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I also eyeball my layers, and usually do pretty well. Like others have said, you must have your paper layers cut straight to begin with, or it won't look even.

I've always sewed, and think that has helped me with having a "good eye" for lining things up.

Also, as I've progressed in this wonderful hobby, I've learned to be more forgiving of myself, and not expect perfection in what I do. I make and send handmade cards to bring a smile to someone's face and brighten their day, and I don't think most people pay attention to details like us cardmakers do! Most of the time, good enough - is good enough.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2018, 07:26 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

A tool I use is a quilting ruler, with a grid printed on it. Mine is 2" wide by 18" long, so plenty long enough for card making and scrapbooking. It has grid lines every 1/8" both ways, and additional tick marks at 1/16" intervals. I have taken recently to eyeballing more, but if I want something precise--or I just need/want to check something--out comes the grid ruler! I can just line up the edge of the lower layer against a grid line, and adhere the next layer, butting it up against the edge of the ruler. I find it doesn't work as well if the mat layer is less than 1/8" wider on all sides than the upper layer, but otherwise, it works great. HTH!

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2018, 08:03 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the Hero Arts Infinity Rectangle dies which are pretty much the A & B sets combined of the Spellbinders ones but for only $20 and I love that I don't have to worry about being "off" when I am cutting. Plus using graph paper helps to get them on straight. I rarely use tape when I am adding layers either - using glue allows me the chance to move it around a little before it sets in case I start off crooked. At first I was afraid it would make the paper "ripply" like when using Elmer's as a kid but I haven't had that happen with Tombow.

Last edited by CraftyMel2; 05-05-2018 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2018, 05:05 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by papercrafter40View Post
A tool I use is a quilting ruler, with a grid printed on it. Mine is 2" wide by 18" long, so plenty long enough for card making and scrapbooking. It has grid lines every 1/8" both ways, and additional tick marks at 1/16" intervals. I have taken recently to eyeballing more, but if I want something precise--or I just need/want to check something--out comes the grid ruler! I can just line up the edge of the lower layer against a grid line, and adhere the next layer, butting it up against the edge of the ruler. I find it doesn't work as well if the mat layer is less than 1/8" wider on all sides than the upper layer, but otherwise, it works great. HTH!

I just bought the Westcott "L" shaped transparent ruler for this very purpose!! I was at a huge quilt show with a friend and saw it in a vendor's booth. It was $15. I thought, boy I could use that in card making (I don't quilt; she does). But it seemed priced too high, so at home I searched Amazon and found it for around $8. It arrived the other day, so I haven't tested it yet, but intuitively I know it will work just like you say!

Amazon.com : Westcott 8-Inch/17cm L-Square Inch/Metric (L-80 (L-80 : Office And School Rulers : Office Products

I should add, for 18 years, I have just eyeballed. If you get the first corner right, usually they all line up, if your layers are cut precisely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs NoofyView Post
I also use my grid paper and a small T-square...really helps me.

Where did you find your small T-square? I saw one being used on a youtube video and went to my local artist store, and online and can't find anything smaller than 12" which is too big!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2018, 05:01 PM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilenemView Post
Where did you find your small T-square? I saw one being used on a youtube video and went to my local artist store, and online and can't find anything smaller than 12" which is too big!

I use a 12" T-quare sometimes for lining up sentiments on A2 cards that works well. It was about $3.00 at an art supply store. Is there a problem with the 12" that folks might be able to help with?

Jennifer McGuire demonstrates using a 12" t-ruler in this video at about 2:40. Then at about 33:00 she shows using a long, gridded stamping block plus the grid on her work surface (or you could use graph paper, etc.).

My Favorite Crafty Things 2017 - Tools - Jennifer McGuire Ink
Reply With Quote Likes