Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-23-2018, 09:14 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Source for uninked stamp spots?

I would really like to buy a bunch of these so that I can have my ink in two locations. I want felt like the ones SU sells but at almost $2.00 a piece it's more than I want to pay.

Does anyone know of another source for felt pads?

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2018, 11:58 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I left a comment on your other thread. Since I don't want to be redundant I won't repeat it here, but I wanted you to know... ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2018, 07:13 PM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok, color me clueless, but I can�t find the other thread that discussed uninked stamp spots. :confused:

Please, be redundant! I�m looking for a source, other than SU, for the uninked spots. I did end up buying a set from SU, but I would like to get more. It would be nice to be able to get them at a better price point.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2018, 10:26 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sorry - not trying to cause a trouble, lol... The other thread is here: So depressed don't know where to start. by justampin at Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2018, 09:38 AM   #5  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I remembered an old thread where unlinked cubes were purchased online from a company selling gourds. It seems they still them, but for $1.90 each.

https://welburngourdfarm.com/collect...pplicator-cube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2018, 12:44 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I have looked all over checking out prices for the spots. As long as you want to buy the ready-made spots, I have never found a price any different from the $1.80-1.90 range.

I have heard of people buying dye ink spots in someplace like the dollar spot at Target, washing the ink out, and re-inking with the colors they want. That's an option, but if you use dye ink, use the felt-topped-with-fabric type of spot, not the foam kind.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2018, 02:45 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
I have looked all over checking out prices for the spots. As long as you want to buy the ready-made spots, I have never found a price any different from the $1.80-1.90 range.

I have heard of people buying dye ink spots in someplace like the dollar spot at Target, washing the ink out, and re-inking with the colors they want. That's an option, but if you use dye ink, use the felt-topped-with-fabric type of spot, not the foam kind.

Just want to reiterate what Diane said - use the FELT, not the FOAM. I had to re-do all of my DIY spots because the foam broke down - it's intended for pigment inks, whereas the felt is intended for dye inks. Live and learn...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2018, 09:44 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 862 Likes on 513 Posts
Smile

Thank you for letting me know this!!! I had ordered some cheap ones, and relooked and they are sponge, but I also ordered the Ranger felt pad you mentioned, so I could pull the foam out and just replace it with the felt! Thank you so much! You both have probably saved me a ton of work!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2018, 12:34 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoptownracer1View Post
Thank you for letting me know this!!! I had ordered some cheap ones, and relooked and they are sponge, but I also ordered the Ranger felt pad you mentioned, so I could pull the foam out and just replace it with the felt! Thank you so much! You both have probably saved me a ton of work!!!

I'm still thinking this might be the way to go. Rip that foam right off, still a less expensive option. Where did you get your foam ones from?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2018, 05:25 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

You can get sets in the kids' craft aisles in any craft store - or Walmart - that are cheap, and I've seen them at dollar stores, as well...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2018, 09:37 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Smile

I ordered them from Ebay. They are coming from China, so it'll take a while to get them, maybe even a month or so. But I figure they are all made in China anyway! Thought for the price, it was worth giving it a chance! I wasn't sure if the ones from SU were foam or felt. Not even sure if I'll get into doing the spots much, but i thought this would be the best way to try. I wanted to have the small spots of my Versamark and ones like that. And maybe a few colors that I like. I'll have to look it up and see if Versamark is dye or pigment. I was thinking it was dye, but I'll have to check.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2018, 05:32 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Versamark is neither dye or pigment. It seems to be based on glycerin.

But the Versamark pads are foam, so that would be the type of spot you'd want to be using.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2018, 09:41 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Smile

Thank you so much for telling me that! You all are so helpful!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2018, 07:39 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

I ordered them from Ebay. They are coming from China, so it'll take a while to get them, maybe even a month or so. But I figure they are all made in China anyway! Thought for the price, it was worth giving it a chance! I wasn't sure if the ones from SU were foam or felt. Not even sure if I'll get into doing the spots much, but i thought this would be the best way to try. I wanted to have the small spots of my Versamark and ones like that. And maybe a few colors that I like. I'll have to look it up and see if Versamark is dye or pigment. I was thinking it was dye, but I'll have to check.

Do you have a link to the ones you ordered? My searches aren't finding any on ebay. Thank you!!
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2018, 08:11 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would love to have the link also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2018, 12:34 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

So sorry it took me so long to see this response. Here is the link to the item. 10pcs Dry Ink Pad No Colors on the Sponge for Stamps Fabric Wood Paper Craft | eBay

Just wanted to warn you that they are very small. They are only 1x1 inches. I haven't had a chance to try them out, so I don't know how good they are. But thought it was worth a shot to try them. I got them faster than I thought I would. It sometimes take me a month to get something from that far, but seems like it was a couple weeks or more to get them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2018, 09:47 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Was happy with them. I used my Momento Tuxedo Black ink with one, and I love that it is small and so easy to ink up little sentiments and images. I also put Stazon reinkers on a couple; thinking it is a solvent ink, so not sure if it will eat up the foam or not, but giving it a try. Loved how when I had my stamps on the stamp platform, it was no trouble to ink them up, and I didn't get ink everywhere. Now, I'll just have to see how they last. I also put pigment ink on one, but didn't get a chance to try it yet. So that's my opinion of the cheap dry ink spots from China. I think the momento ink did the best so far!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2018, 03:23 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

So sorry it took me so long to see this response. Here is the link to the item. 10pcs Dry Ink Pad No Colors on the Sponge for Stamps Fabric Wood Paper Craft | eBay

Just wanted to warn you that they are very small. They are only 1x1 inches. I haven't had a chance to try them out, so I don't know how good they are. But thought it was worth a shot to try them. I got them faster than I thought I would. It sometimes take me a month to get something from that far, but seems like it was a couple weeks or more to get them.

I just ordered 3 sets of these to try out... I figure if I love them, I'll have 30 cubes and won't have to wait another month for more to arrive. If I hate them, I'm out $9 and change. I measured my Hero Arts cubes and they are more than an inch. More like 1 1/4" inch. So storage wise that's a bummer - I like the Ranger Tins and how perfect they fit. But for this price - I can certainly deal with it! About 2 years ago I bid on a listing on eBay for a "Lot of 30 of Tsukineko Ink Refills" - assuming they were Memento refills. However - I won for a crazy cheap price - but they weren't for Mementos! Sometimes reading the fine print would help, lol. The refills are for all the shades for the Kaleidacolor Spectrum pads. So with these cubes, I will have something to use the refills for!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2020, 10:17 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Received 135 Likes on 63 Posts

I know this is a really old thread but wanted to hear what you all thought. I would like to get some dry ink cubes that I can then ink and use for my monthly classes now that they are now on Zoom. I think it will be quite awhile before we will have classes in person. I prepare the class materials and everyone picks up their packet from my porch. We aren't stamping since I don't provide stamps or ink. Some of them have a few sentiment stamps and one or two ink colors including black so they can do that if they need to add a sentiment. For an upcoming class I would like for them to be able to use a sponge and ink for shading. (We will use the new Stampin' Up! peony die. It is gorgeous!!!) Been trying to figure out how I would get ink to them. Good felt cubes like Stampin' Up's are almost $2 a piece and I can't justify that for the fee I charge. I am wondering about getting the cheap foam ones on eBay mentioned above and putting a little ink on those for them to use. Not sure how much ink I would have to add but would the foam be OK for a disposable one time use like that? If it goes well I may later try sending them one with a color that coordinates with the card we are making for them to use with their own sentiment stamps. Again for just short term use. Would this be feasible? Would I have to use a lot of reinker ( which would also impact the cost) in order for them to be able to ink up a stamp? All of us are older and thus high risk and I don't see us having in person class until after the first of next year. TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2020, 11:11 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

I used Ranger Cut N' Dry Felt in mine. I had to cut them out to fit the cube and tear part of the layer off to make them fit. I think I glued them into the square, then added the ink. I haven't used them a lot, so I don't know how well they hold up, but it did in a pinch. The felt works with dye inks, and I think the foam that comes in them maybe works with pigment inks. I just tore the foam out.
Shipping from China might be super, super slow now. The last thing I ordered took a long time, even longer than usual. If I didn't have to have a lot of them, I would probably opt for the stampin up ones. It was some work to do them, and if you didn't have to have many of them, you wouldn't save a ton by the time you bought the cut n' dry felt. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2020, 02:56 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoptownracer1
View Post

I used Ranger Cut N' Dry Felt in mine. I had to cut them out to fit the cube and tear part of the layer off to make them fit. I think I glued them into the square, then added the ink. I haven't used them a lot, so I don't know how well they hold up, but it did in a pinch. The felt works with dye inks, and I think the foam that comes in them maybe works with pigment inks. I just tore the foam out.

Shipping from China might be super, super slow now. The last thing I ordered took a long time, even longer than usual. If I didn't have to have a lot of them, I would probably opt for the stampin up ones. It was some work to do them, and if you didn't have to have many of them, you wouldn't save a ton by the time you bought the cut n' dry felt. Hope that helps.

So glad I saw this old thread because I have the Cut N'Dry felt AND a bunch of cheapo tiny ink pads that are made of sponge (bought them originally for my grandkids to use when they visit). The set was so cheap that I don't mind ripping the sponge off and replacing with felt at all. Now that I use the Misti all the time, I need the smaller ink pads to keep from getting ink everywhere.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes