Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-17-2018, 05:29 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts
Default SU stamp storage ideas

Hey everyone! I have this question from a site member that needs your input:

Quote:

I was wondering how you store your wooden stamps that are in the plastic boxes like you would have from Stampin' Up? I have a large collection of these type of stamps and am trying to find a new way to store them.
I don't have many SU sets, and I haven't kept them in their boxes, so I'd love your help in giving her lots of ideas. Thanks!
Vincent Van Gogh

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2018, 05:47 AM   #2  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the Artbin hinged, locking, boxes. Get them from Hobby Lobby with 40% off coupons and they are 13x13x3 maybe?.

The bins stack on top of each other, 3 high on the shelves, and are numbered 1, 2, 3...and then in Evernote the wood block stamps are catalogued "SU-wood1-Just a Line 6" meaning it's an SU stamp, wood mount box 1, Just a Line is the name and it has 6 stamps in the set. The evernote entry has a picture of each of the stamps.

Depending on the size of the stamps I have anywhere from 30-60 stamps per box. On the side of the wood block I write the name of the set and number of the block like 1/6, 2/6 and so on. I don't keep them separated by set - takes up too much room.
Having said all that - I only buy sets I love and don't usually sell them. They actually get used or I give them away so I'm not trying to keep everything original and pristine. I have, on occasion, sold older sets I didn't think I would use again and they sold well even without the original boxes and with the name written on the wood block so I just don't worry about it the way a demo who wanted to make her money back out of them might.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2018, 05:55 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I keep my wood mounted stamps in these boxes, and I use the same numbering system and Evernote as well.

These work really well for inkpads too, on their sides. I got mine at Big Lots, but they're on Amazon as well.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2018, 07:33 AM   #4  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Something similar for me too, I use the Really Useful Box that's deep enough to take two layers of mounted stamps, and label the sides. Two deep means it's easy to pick stamps out without too much fuss...though the Peanuts one is like a jigsaw to fit them all back in.

I think it's this size, because I have in mind it about fits a standard European A4 sheet of card ~ Go Shopping - Really Useful Boxes - 4 litre US Really Useful Box

Last edited by Cook22; 04-17-2018 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2018, 04:33 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I don't have any stamps that are mounted on anything, but I've seen people use this type of acrylic frames to store their wood mounts: Acrylic Box Photo Frame, Set of 6 - Walmart.com. They are apparently exactly the right depth, and they just stack them or use them as drawers. I linked to one size, but there are many sizes available, and I've seen them at dollar stores, as well...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2018, 04:58 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I store them like "books" on a bookshelf
Attached Thumbnails
SU stamp storage ideas-shelves-img_20160321_203131967.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2018, 05:26 AM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Wow, Marge. That is quite a collection! Can I ask what the labels are on your shelves? Are they categories?

I have begun the process of unmounting my wooden stamps. They just take up too much room. I’ve been stamping for about 15 years I’ve not sold any yet, so I doubt I ever will. The clamshell cases were really difficult to store as my collection grew. Some of those have gone in the recycling bin, and I mailed a bunch off to someone on SCS for the price of postage. I bought a case of CD cases, and am almost ready to order a second case. I am amazed at how much space is opening up in my craft room as a result.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2018, 09:08 AM   #8  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illinois MargeView Post
I store them like "books" on a bookshelf

In a different home, I had a similar set-up. It was so easy to retrieve and replace items. I couldn't duplicate it but it is a requirement for any future home!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2018, 12:33 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I decided when I moved a year and a half ago - to keep my absolute favorite SU wood mount sets in their original clamshell cases and store them on a bookshelf. There is a picture below (3rd Pic). At first I had them stored by category - but now I just keep them stacked by box size. All the little size containers stacked together, the medium ones, and so on. I take all my SU background stamps out of the clear containers and stack them. I write the name of the background stamp on the side.

I wanted to save space, but do not want to un-mount my SU wood sets, so I bought the 1 inch "stufftainers" and moved multiple SU wood sets into each container, and put a label on the side of each box with the name of all the sets in it. You can see those in the cube shelving below. Originally I broke apart sets and did those by category - but quickly regretted it, and spent a ridiculous amount of time piecing sets back together.

All of those individual clamshell cases for the SU wood sets just became way too much to handle as my collection grew and grew. And some of those clamshell cases, had so much spare room in them. Plus all the different sizes of them drove me bonkers. So now, in each one of those "stufftainers" stacked in the cubes, each has between 3-4 sets full SU sets inside it. I wanted to make sure I didn't have "layers" of stamps on top of one another to go through, I wanted them all stored in a single layer. These save a lot of space. I'll snap a picture tonight of what one of the Stufftainers looks like with the wood mount stamp. For both SU sets grouped together and then other brands.These pics are from over a year and a half ago - but what I do now is similar.
Attached Thumbnails
SU stamp storage ideas-1.jpg   SU stamp storage ideas-2.jpg   SU stamp storage ideas-3.jpg  

Last edited by Catherine773; 04-18-2018 at 01:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2018, 04:44 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
Wow, Marge. That is quite a collection! Can I ask what the labels are on your shelves? Are they categories?

I have begun the process of unmounting my wooden stamps. They just take up too much room. I’ve been stamping for about 15 years I’ve not sold any yet, so I doubt I ever will. The clamshell cases were really difficult to store as my collection grew. Some of those have gone in the recycling bin, and I mailed a bunch off to someone on SCS for the price of postage. I bought a case of CD cases, and am almost ready to order a second case. I am amazed at how much space is opening up in my craft room as a result.

I was an SU demo from 2000 - 2007, so yes I have a lot of stamps!
The labels on the shelves are categories. Such as Floral, Nature, People, Occasions & Holidays, Vintage, Backgrounds, Sentiments, etc. One entire bookshelf (the whole bookshelf) is sentiments and alphabets. I get good use of those in mixed media creations.

My non-SU stamps are also stored in the SU cases (bought from someone on SCS who unmounted their collection). And a whole shelf is Stampscapes. The other non-SU ones are in mixed cases at the end of the category (for example, floral). They "masquerade" as SU because of how I store them.

I also store some embellishments, paper scraps, etc in the SU cases. They work great; don't be too quick to throw those out.

I have never unmounted. I like the feel of the wood block in my hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2018, 07:04 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simple and easy in a large wardrobe. Probably not the inspiration you are looking for!

I would have photographed all the shelves but they were too messy! Just not into straightening up lately! It comes and goes.

My wood sets are by category.

Flowers on this first shelf. The clear mount in the background are not by category.

Next shelf - winter, Valentine's Day, fall, Halloween, Christmas

Next shelf - drinks (coffee & alcohol) and the general images

Bottom shelf - general images
Attached Thumbnails
SU stamp storage ideas-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2018, 07:39 AM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illinois MargeView Post
I was an SU demo from 2000 - 2007, so yes I have a lot of stamps!
The labels on the shelves are categories. Such as Floral, Nature, People, Occasions & Holidays, Vintage, Backgrounds, Sentiments, etc. One entire bookshelf (the whole bookshelf) is sentiments and alphabets. I get good use of those in mixed media creations.

My non-SU stamps are also stored in the SU cases (bought from someone on SCS who unmounted their collection). And a whole shelf is Stampscapes. The other non-SU ones are in mixed cases at the end of the category (for example, floral). They "masquerade" as SU because of how I store them.

I also store some embellishments, paper scraps, etc in the SU cases. They work great; don't be too quick to throw those out.

I have never unmounted. I like the feel of the wood block in my hand.

Thanks. I’ve saved a few boxes, but have gotten rid of way more. For once, I’m getting rid of stuff. Feels good! Embellishments are a good idea though. Maybe I’ll see what I can figure out.

Also, I love how the cd rack is holding cases in dead corner space. DH was trashing a rack like that. I rescued it and hid it in the back of my car. Then I bought a new car, temporarily put the rack in the garage, and he cleaned the garage before I rescued it. I think it may be in the shed. Trying to figure out how to check without him knowing.

Last edited by lynnewithane; 04-21-2018 at 07:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2018, 07:14 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I don't have any stamps that are mounted on anything, but I've seen people use this type of acrylic frames to store their wood mounts: Acrylic Box Photo Frame, Set of 6 - Walmart.com. They are apparently exactly the right depth, and they just stack them or use them as drawers. I linked to one size, but there are many sizes available, and I've seen them at dollar stores, as well...
Like this . . .
Attached Thumbnails
SU stamp storage ideas-boxes.jpg  

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2018, 10:10 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I love these for all my loose (not in a stamp set in a box) wood stamps. You can store them standing up like books on a bookshelf.

TT | Stamp Store & Go, Double-Sided | Scrapbooking, Cardmaking & Craft Room Organization products

Here's a pic of (some of) my stamps lol. The upper shelf in the pic is the product I was talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
SU stamp storage ideas-img_5386.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2018, 10:45 AM   #15  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenTView Post
I love these for all my loose (not in a stamp set in a box) wood stamps. You can store them standing up like books on a bookshelf.

TT | Stamp Store & Go, Double-Sided | Scrapbooking, Cardmaking & Craft Room Organization products

Here's a pic of (some of) my stamps lol. The upper shelf in the pic is the product I was talking about.
I've been accumulating these cases as sales/budget allow because I really like the quality. Most importantly, for me, is the ease of retrieving and replacing the items. Stacks do not work for me (no place to put the ones removed to get to the one I want, too lazy - I admit it, but - to put it back in the proper order, etc.). Most drawers are too deep and it feels wasteful to only store one layer so the stacking issues arises.

An added bonus for me is that they can be easily transported.
Reply With Quote Likes