Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-13-2018, 10:17 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Ink gets all over the place when I use my Misti

I wanted a Misti for over two years and was over the moon when I actually won one in a giveaway. I wasn't quite sure how to use it so it sat on my craft desk for the longest time but now I'm hooked. However, most of my stamp pads are either Stampin' Up pads in the regular size, or other large sized dye pads. I get ink EVERYWHERE when I ink up stamps on the Misti and don't want to have to buy every ink color in mini-cubes, but I'm going nuts here. What does everyone else do to prevent ink from smearing all over the Misti acrylic platform? Or do you just deal with and clean up each time? Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2018, 01:41 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not an SU user, so I have to ask the question- are the pads foam or fabric type? If foam, the secret is to tap onto your stamp very, very lightly. I've often had the same problem with pigment pads, which are generally foam. The foam squishes down onto the stamp a lot more than a fabric style pad if you use the same pressure for both.Hth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2018, 03:17 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

I just use my damp stamp shammy to wipe away the ink before I stamp. You could lay a piece of paper down on the MISTI cover before you ink the stamp if that would be easier to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2018, 07:00 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ink gently. When I use my SU pads and my misti, I touch the ink pad to the stamp, when I feel I have made contact, I give it a tiny twist instead of a CPR type push. this keeps the ink on the pad and the stamp and off my mist most times. good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2018, 07:17 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't like the mess either and it seemed that no matter how careful I was I got ink on the lid. For the colors I use the most I have reinkers so I invested in some small uninked cubes.......inked them up and have very little, if any, ink on the lids of my Misti or TH platform when I use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2018, 10:31 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by madameplushbottomView Post
Ink gently. When I use my SU pads and my misti, I touch the ink pad to the stamp, when I feel I have made contact, I give it a tiny twist instead of a CPR type push. this keeps the ink on the pad and the stamp and off my mist most times. good luck.
Thanks. I've tried tapping gently, but the ink pads are so large that it seems they always touch the Misti anyway. It's easy enough to wipe the extra ink off my Misti but I just wondered if others have the same problem. I'll keep trying to perfect my technique, haha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockybetaView Post
I don't like the mess either and it seemed that no matter how careful I was I got ink on the lid. For the colors I use the most I have reinkers so I invested in some small uninked cubes.......inked them up and have very little, if any, ink on the lids of my Misti or TH platform when I use them.
Wow, where do you buy uninked cubes? I've seen the larger uninked pads but never small ones. I also have a lot of re-inkers so this would be an idea. Of course, the uninked cubes are probably the same cost as inked one though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2018, 10:35 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Thanks for the tip, will try that little tiny twist. I've been experimenting with my inking technique and looks like I'll have to be more gentle. I don't mind a little ink on the Misti cover but sometimes it's just everywhere. Fortunately, the Misti is designed so well that none of that ink on the lid gets on my project, but it gets on my hands and then sometimes onto my card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2018, 11:03 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
Wow, where do you buy uninked cubes? I've seen the larger uninked pads but never small ones. I also have a lot of re-inkers so this would be an idea. Of course, the uninked cubes are probably the same cost as inked one though.

Stampin' Up sells the uninked cubes. You can get a pack of 5 for $9. Uninked Stampin' Spots by Stampin' Up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Maybe thinking about it this way will help...

Clear stamps on the misti door is the same as clear on an acrylic block. They dont have a lot of "clearance" between stamp surface and plastic. The same way we have to be super gentle patting (or twisting) on the pad with a block, it is the reverse on the misti.

Maybe using a post it note or two will help you till you get the hang of it.

Another choice-use a dauber to transfer the ink from pad to the stamp. Cheaper than mini pads. With a misti you can repeat stamp so no worries if you miss a spot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I'm not an SU user, so I have to ask the question- are the pads foam or fabric type? If foam, the secret is to tap onto your stamp very, very lightly. I've often had the same problem with pigment pads, which are generally foam. The foam squishes down onto the stamp a lot more than a fabric style pad if you use the same pressure for both.Hth.
Thanks for your reply. I use the fabric type dye pads. I only have two of the foam pads for Stampin' Up and find that those make an even bigger mess!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2018, 02:06 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Maybe thinking about it this way will help...

Clear stamps on the misti door is the same as clear on an acrylic block. They dont have a lot of "clearance" between stamp surface and plastic. The same way we have to be super gentle patting (or twisting) on the pad with a block, it is the reverse on the misti.

Maybe using a post it note or two will help you till you get the hang of it.

Another choice-use a dauber to transfer the ink from pad to the stamp. Cheaper than mini pads. With a misti you can repeat stamp so no worries if you miss a spot.
I don't seem to have a problem with clear stamps on acrylic blocks when I use my ink pads, but it may be because the difference in angle. I think I need to keep practicing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2018, 02:07 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Stampin' Up sells the uninked cubes. You can get a pack of 5 for $9. Uninked Stampin' Spots by Stampin' Up!
Thanks! I don't know why I never saw those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2018, 04:43 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 658 Likes on 415 Posts

I tend to have my hand under the side where the stamp is stuck ( so its up in the air) and my other hand tapping the corner of a big pad onto the stamp. I also tend to move the thing I want to stamp more to the middle rather than right up in the corner tight.
I don't know if that would help you or not but, that is what I do.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2018, 01:29 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

I recently boxed up all my large SU pads and they are now in the closet in my craft room. If I don't miss them for 6 months, I will donate them. I have pretty much given up on using full size pads on my Misti because of the "overage" when inking. I started buying colors I liked in the spots from various companies that I wanted to try out to see if I liked their inks. I can't believe how much a difference it makes to use the spots - so much easier to ink up and get even coverage - especially on solid image stamps. Since you can buy 2 or sometimes 3 of the spots for the cost of a full size pad, it should not take terribly long to get the small collection of colors I want. I can't imagine buying the large size pads again except for maybe black, grey, a metallic gold like Delicata and a Versamark pad. I find the spots work great for the rest of my needs. I have never warmed up to the SU foam pads as they are often so juicy and bubbly, they ink up my stamps unevenly. I would not mind trying their new anti-foaming ink if they made them in spots.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

Yes, I did/do have the same problem of getting ink on the misti lid when using the larger ink pads. I have started buying cubes, like Gina K's and I do have some SU spots too.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2018, 03:16 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Happy to read all of this as I get ink all over also. Mainly I have just wiped it off. Now I'm going to try the twist trick. Thank you for all the ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2018, 07:02 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

I had the same trouble initially inking with a stamp positioner, until I tried doing it with the stamp and pad held vertically. Tap them together with the stamp mounted on the lid and held straight up, like you're clapping hands. This lets you see between the stamp and the pad so you can keep them angled together without mashing the ink pad's corners into the lid.

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2018, 07:29 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmbriView Post
I had the same trouble initially inking with a stamp positioner, until I tried doing it with the stamp and pad held vertically. Tap them together with the stamp mounted on the lid and held straight up, like you're clapping hands. This lets you see between the stamp and the pad so you can keep them angled together without mashing the ink pad's corners into the lid.

Hope that helps!

I would be hesitant to do that because my Misti has so many bad cracks all along the hinges and sides of the lid and platform I try to not put any pressure on the lid or any other part of the tool without something under or above it to support it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2018, 12:00 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkippetView Post
I would be hesitant to do that because my Misti has so many bad cracks all along the hinges and sides of the lid and platform I try to not put any pressure on the lid or any other part of the tool without something under or above it to support it.

You shouldn't have to put much force at all to ink up a stamp like this; I would say about the same pressure as patting someone on the arm. Granted that's with the ink pads I have, I imagine not all types transfer as readily? What kind of ink are you using?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2018, 02:40 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmbriView Post
You shouldn't have to put much force at all to ink up a stamp like this; I would say about the same pressure as patting someone on the arm. Granted that's with the ink pads I have, I imagine not all types transfer as readily? What kind of ink are you using?

Thanks, but it's not the inks that are the problem, it is the fact that my Misti started cracking immediately after I bought it and I am afraid to put any pressure on it from the side with the lid up. I have always used just very light pressure when stamping with it because it was such an expensive investment, but it is at the point where the cracking has reached the hinges and I am afraid the thing will just fall apart.

I need to replace it and will probably quickly buy the Tim Holtz one while they are still available. I would not buy another Misti due to the fact this one seems to have been defective from the start.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2018, 04:50 AM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Thanks, but it's not the inks that are the problem, it is the fact that my Misti started cracking immediately after I bought it and I am afraid to put any pressure on it from the side with the lid up. I have always used just very light pressure when stamping with it because it was such an expensive investment, but it is at the point where the cracking has reached the hinges and I am afraid the thing will just fall apart.

I need to replace it and will probably quickly buy the Tim Holtz one while they are still available. I would not buy another Misti due to the fact this one seems to have been defective from the start.
I've had my MISTI from one of the very first batches and it has a lot of cracks, especially around the hinges. I bought a can of acrylic glue. You apply it with a bottle with a needle. I sealed all the cracks and it stopped the cracks and it's not cracking anymore. I think super glue would probably work the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2018, 09:09 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Yikes. That doesn't sound good at all. A tool shouldn't fall apart under normal use. :C So sorry you both had to go through that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2018, 09:22 AM   #24  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Email [email protected] with photos - you may have missed her change in manufacturing from the early days when that defect was discovered. She'll replace it with the new version. She's replaced every single one that crazed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2018, 05:30 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

I love the new VersaFine Clair ink pads. The ink is gorgeous. I really like the new pad design. Even though not a mini, it is a nice size and the raised pad leaves my Misti door pretty ink free.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2018, 04:44 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
Email [email protected] with photos - you may have missed her change in manufacturing from the early days when that defect was discovered. She'll replace it with the new version. She's replaced every single one that crazed

Yep, she replaced my door. She even picked up the need to do it from a comment I made in a thread, and contacted me! I did need to send pictures. There was a procedure that the manufacturer did during a period of time that weakened the plastic.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2018, 11:43 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts

I also get ink all over mine, but I figured it was just me.

I am a messy stamper with weak hands, so holding a large ink pad just right is tricky. I'm batting about .200 these days! :p

I am considering the ink spots, largely due to storage space. I have been hesitant to "convert" because of the $$ invested is SO MANY ink pads. I'll probably have to take baby steps. A couple of new SU colors will be a good place to start.
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2018, 11:59 AM   #28  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by berlyceceView Post
I also get ink all over mine, but I figured it was just me.

I am a messy stamper with weak hands, so holding a large ink pad just right is tricky. I'm batting about .200 these days! :p

I am considering the ink spots, largely due to storage space. I have been hesitant to "convert" because of the $$ invested is SO MANY ink pads. I'll probably have to take baby steps. A couple of new SU colors will be a good place to start.

I agree about the Versafine Clair - I don't make as big a mess with those - but think about this Kim - you could just buy reinkers for your big inkpads you've already bought, and then buy blank mini cubes for the ones you use the most often and that would be more economical, plus you'd have reinkers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2018, 06:55 PM   #29  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I have used just the corner of a pad if I want to control the inking. Would that work? Takes time but....

Maybe people who want to switch to cubes...just use up the large pads-dont re ink them. Then get the cubes. Unless you are the kind of person who has to use something till it is barely holding together anymore-which I can be a times....

Or sell the large size. Some people prefer them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2018, 08:43 AM   #30  
Cardstock Collector

Default ink on lid of Misti, etc.

I keep a slightly damp paper towel handy.

I bought thin cling vinyl at Joann's using a coupon. They're sold in wide
rolls in the Upholstery dept. I cut the vinyl slightly smaller than the lid and
apply it to the inside of the lid.

Cling and clear stamps will adhere to it. If I accidentally get any ink onto
the clear vinyl I use the damp paper towel to wipe it off.

I have the Hampton Arts stamp positioner. Joann's has clear vinyl in
several thicknesses. I bought the thinness vinyl.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2018, 09:08 PM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I bought some 3mm fun foam and place it under the lid of my MISTI when I'm inking a stamp. That makes the lid level with the platform when it's open and relieves any stress on the hinges. I cut it the same size as the foam included and just store it inside the MISTI when I'm finished.
Reply With Quote Likes