Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2018, 07:16 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamping Platforms,

What�s everyone liking, Stamparatus vs Tim Holtz Stamping platform.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Inking Addict

I have the TH and love it. I can stamp near every edge and I don't have to shim anything. It's extremely sturdy, it doesn't have edges on two sides so I can use any size paper. It's bigger than the stamparatus, which I like. I got mine at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon, so it ended up costing me $24 plus tax.

I played with a Stamparatus and was only mildly impressed. The hinge step stamping is a cool feature - but I won't be buying one unless/until they work out the bugs, and even then I won't pay that much for that one technique so I would have to get it with hostess credit or something. I don't really see a situation in which I would need the 4 plate surfaces, but maybe if I was doing wedding invitations or something?

I can't/won't pay $50 for something that I have to make shims or use workarounds for. I like being able to put my paper in the corner so I know every piece of paper is in the exact same spot. That's important to me, but that doesn't mean the things that are important to me are the same as whats important to everyone else.
Stampin' Fool

I just saw this one....

Tool Sightings at Creativeworld: Sizzix FoldAway & Vaessen Stamp Easy - Scrapbook Update

Stamparatus is OK; not much different from my Misti but I do like the extra plate. I just ordered the TH and I'm looking forward to playing with it for a while. My biggest issue is using the foam with clear stamps. I find that the magnets are just not strong enough to hold everything securely. That's why I'm looking forward to TH.

The Vaessen Stamp Easy just doesn't appeal to me right now (I don't even know if it's available in the US yet). Except I like those magnet covers!
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by marymoilanenView Post
My biggest issue is using the foam with clear stamps. I find that the magnets are just not strong enough to hold everything securely. That's why I'm looking forward to TH.

The Vaessen Stamp Easy just doesn't appeal to me right now (I don't even know if it's available in the US yet). Except I like those magnet covers!

I made magnet covers for mine with pretty washi tape. I used a heavier grade of it, the metallic irridescent, and it hasn't torn yet. Ocassionally a new stamp will lift the paper but not often and only on the first use of a brand new stamp.
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a regular and mini Misti, and regular and the new smaller Tim Holtz travel platform. The Tim travel is already my favorite. It's identical to the larger one, just smaller, but because it has two open sides, larger paper can fit in, and it just fits on my desk better. You flip the lid depending on rubber or photopolymer stamps.

It's also good for CPR stampers, as Tim calls those of us who put a lot of pressure on our poor platform lids.

But I can also see using the Tim Travel along with the Mini Misti when making multiples with more than one stamp, rather than pulling a stamp off and on.

For a regular sized platform I like the larger Tim one best. But they all do the job. I had another platform at one point and didn't like it but others do - one size does not fit all. : )
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Another vote for Tim's here, and I wasn't ever convinced I needed a stamping platform at all, so never got into the Misti thing, as the price over here was way more than I could justify. Love this for all the reasons mentioned, and Mary Moilanen, you can buy extra magnets for Tims. I bought some, as I found that if I was working on a larger piece of cardstock, clear stamps would often lift it. I tend to work on a much bigger piece of cardstock, and trim down later, rather than cutting all my cardstock to size first. Smaller pieces do stay put, it's just larger ones I find can lift.
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I like the MISTI and I have the Stamparatus. I haven't had a chance to really play with my SAR...yet. But, I found no problem with it and didn't need a shim. Although, I am not opposed to using one. It is my belief that there is no perfect tool. You need to carefully examine the advertised features and make your decision based on that. If the extra plate excites you the most, buy that. You can make it work. If you like the idea of a larger size and/or flipping the plate over for the different types of stamps, there you go...Tim Holtz. I personally think I need both the simplicity and dependability of the MISTI and fun features of the Stamparatus.
Gallery Gazer

Well put. Just FYI, Tim has the smaller platform available now too.

Sturdiness is another consideration. I like the metal bar and reinforcement on the two Tim platforms. At one time I had a platform that felt a little flimsy and wasn't magnetic. One of my Misti's has hairline cracks - though still works 100%. What matters to one person won't to another.

Last edited by bjeans; 04-10-2018 at 08:31 AM..
Mad Swapper

I have a Misti but at some point I definitely want Tim Holtz's. He rocks all the tools he commissions.
Die Cut Diva

mungojerry, you make a very good point there. It really does come down to individual preference. The feature one person likes, another will think redundant, or even dislike. That is a plus point for the bricks and mortar craft shops- they would often have the products available for a customer to try out. Far less of them now in the UK, probably the same close to you. The ease of internet shopping, and often the prices compared to a 'real' store, has it's own price, it seems.
Bjeans, that metal reinforced hinge was a real plus point for me too. That spoke of great thought going into the longevity of the product, given the swapping sides of the lid.
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Tonic by Tim Holtz and like it for the most part. But I have to use fun foam with clear stamps in order to get a decent impression on the paper. I think I have a defective one. Sent Tonic an email but sadly they never replied...

I paid around $30 for the stamp platform and it does its purpose I guess, just wish I didn't have to fuss with the foam.
Gallery Gazer

Ellibelle, you might try emailing them again. Their customer service is quite good, and I've never heard of them ignoring complaints. (I've missed an email here and there that went into a junk/spam folder, even though I check it frequently.) Even when I've emailed with a quick question they're responded. Fun foam sholdn't be needed for photopolymer stamps assuming the lid is being flipped to the clear side, or if the stamp was much thinner than normal.

(BTW I just looked at some of your cards - so cute!)

Good luck and let us know what happens with your platform.
Die Cut Diva

Elliebelle, I was going to say the same as bjeans. There were issues with the lids on some I know, and they were happily replacing them.
Gallery Gazer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Another vote here for the TH Platform. I can't say enough good things about it. I'd thought long and hard about the Misti, but the price really put me off. I feel the same about the Stamparatus. I have arthritis pretty severe in both hands and the TH is just really sturdy and well made. I like the idea of the Stamparatus with the removable lids, but in reality probably wouldn't use that feature. I also think it is too small for me to use comfortably. JMHO.
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Elliebelle, I was going to say the same as bjeans. There were issues with the lids on some I know, and they were happily replacing them.
Yes, I think the issue is with the lid, and it's even worse when I try using the side made for clear stamps. The border/edge on top of the lid will prevent the stamp from even making contact with the paper.
Maybe I'll email them again...but it's been 3 months now that I sent the first email, so I am not sure...
Inking Addict

Definitely contact them again - that sounds defective. I have never had to shim any type of stamp from any company (I have stamps from at least 20 different companies). When I had an issue with another product from them they immediately replaced it.
Mad Swapper

One thing I found with both my postioners - TH and Misti and eventually the old fashioned t shaped postioner. If the stamps are new - please make sure you use an eraser to the stamp and remove the residue so the stamp to grab and transfer the ink. I had a heck of a time with a multi font stamp until I really cleaned if off
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by WyomingRobinView Post
Definitely contact them again - that sounds defective. I have never had to shim any type of stamp from any company (I have stamps from at least 20 different companies). When I had an issue with another product from them they immediately replaced it.

Same here. I do have a few bare rubber stamps from Sweden that are thinner than photopolymers, and I stuck a couple pieces of CS under the card to raise it the barest bit. I don't consider that a fault. Those stamps are thinner than thin (but nice!).
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllibelleView Post
I have the Tonic by Tim Holtz and like it for the most part. But I have to use fun foam with clear stamps in order to get a decent impression on the paper. I think I have a defective one. Sent Tonic an email but sadly they never replied...

I paid around $30 for the stamp platform and it does its purpose I guess, just wish I didn't have to fuss with the foam.

I think I remember hearing that the first batch had a defect in it. They replaced the defectivie ones if I remember correctly. I would send another email or try calling if there is a phone number on their website, also check their facebook page for a phone number. I have come across some companies that have phone numbers only on their FB page.
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllibelleView Post
Yes, I think the issue is with the lid, and it's even worse when I try using the side made for clear stamps. The border/edge on top of the lid will prevent the stamp from even making contact with the paper.
Maybe I'll email them again...but it's been 3 months now that I sent the first email, so I am not sure...
I don't think you need to be concerned about waiting three months - the amount of time wouldn't change if it was defective or not. : )
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
I think I remember hearing that the first batch had a defect in it. They replaced the defectivie ones if I remember correctly. I would send another email or try calling if there is a phone number on their website, also check their facebook page for a phone number. I have come across some companies that have phone numbers only on their FB page.

Good memory - some lids, not all, in the first batch had defects.
Hardware Hotshot

I sent them another email yesterday (I found a different email address than what I had first used). Received an automatic reply (which I also received back in January). My email provider instantly removes spam, so if I hear nothing again within a week I will email from a gmail account in case their email is being sent to spam and deleted.

Thank you all for suggesting to call them again, it's such a great tool to have if I only wouldn't have to deal with the foam. So I am hoping to get it exchanged.
Gallery Gazer

Good going. Just in case you were on a page that didn't have their phone number:
Email us at [email protected]
Call us on (844) 866-4287 (USA)
Matboard Maniac

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

anyone have a european stamp platform with inches? how do you like it?
Die Cut Diva

Don't know about any of the others, but the Tim Holtz/Tonic one is in inches. Which I love, as although I live in the UK, I'm old enough to have feet & inches firmly ingrained, which I still think and work in! Plus, I work in the aircraft industry, which works in Imperial anyway, lol.
Hardware Hotshot

Hello, just wanted to update here in case anyone is still curious. I finally received a message back from tonic after a long time and sending from 2 email addresses, today my replacement platform arrived and this one works like a dream!

Thanks everyone for encouraging me to email them again! This is such a wonderful tool to have!
Gallery Gazer

I'm so glad you reported back and that your new platform works wonderfully. The couple times I've emailed Tonic they quickly wrote back, so maybe there was an email glitch your first go round. Did they want the first one back to inspect it?

Congrats!
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I'm so glad you reported back and that your new platform works wonderfully. The couple times I've emailed Tonic they quickly wrote back, so maybe there was an email glitch your first go round. Did they want the first one back to inspect it?

Congrats!

They did not ask for it and weren't interested in photos of my problems either. But I emailed them today to let them know the new one arrived and thanked them, maybe I will hear from them again.
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for updating us. I really dislike my TH stamp positioner, but maybe it was just defective. I believe it was from an early batch since I got it a long time ago.

I�m always super busy, but I�ll try to reach out to them.
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Stamparatus & the one from Hampton Arts that got discontinued due to the copywrite issues. Our local stamp store has the Tim Holtz one. I've tried it multiple time & I just don't like it. Love the two I have.
Rubber Obsessor

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

I did not like the Stamperatus I�ve played with extensively. It has a problem stamping in the corner or anywhere near the magnet. Also stamping near the hinge is a problem because ink gets all over the hinge and transfers to my hands. Using a foam to fix the corner problem, means the magnets aren�t strong enough to hold paper down. The plates can be turned over for multi-step stamping, but I just end up getting ink all over my hands and then transfer it accidentally to the CS I�m working with, so I no longer use both sides of the plate. Having two different plates and the open sides are nice, but I hate everything else about it. It�s big, awkward, expensive, and you can�t store it with both plates attached. It also doesn�t have measurements along the hinge sides where the corner is - just along the open edge, so it�s difficult to get stamps evenly placed.

I haven�t tried the Tonic Stamp Platform, but I have the regular Misti and I love it. It�s just so seamless to use, and I can use more than one corner for multi-step stamping. It has measurements along three sides and a nice grid etched in the lid, so it�s really easy to line up my projects. I love the gridded mousepad that is available. Ink just wipes right off it. I would like an open side for larger pieces of paper - but other than that, I really love the Misti. Its lightweight, doesn�t take up much room to store, and always works well. It�s my favorite stamping tool.
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I have the larger TH platform, and had problems when using photopolymer stamps. Plus I didn't like stamping on the hard surface. I've always used a stamping mat made of very dense foam approx. 12" X 18". Then I got a MISTI, still stamping on foam. Love it.

So I tried putting some fun foam in the TH platform. Didn't work. For some reason, I remembered someone had given me the stamping kit to use with the Silhouette, but all I had used were the acrylic blocks. I pulled out one of the sheets (a translucent polymer, maybe ???) that was intended to be cut and used as a stamp. I put the sheet in the platform - it worked perfectly. Thinner than fun foam with just enough give so I could get a good impression. I almost threw those sheets away so many times!
Matboard Maniac

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Love my TH platform. Never had a problem with either rubber or clear stamps and it cleans up after my messes very well. Was well worth every dollar.
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another vote for the TH platform! I have never tried any of the others, but couldn't bring myself to spending $50-$60 for one. I paid $24 for my platform and it works great! I saw the travel size one at stamping convention and it was so cute! I wanted to buy it - but since I only stamp at home, I again, couldn't justify spending more money.
Gallery Gazer

Me too (love and worth it). The only temporary issue I had was with a few thinner-than-usual bare rubber stamps from two companies. They're actually thinner than some photopolymer stamps. I just put a thin piece of foam or some layers of CS underneath the paper I was stamping on. Once I grabbed the Misti foam and while too thick, worked fine.
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by cainpView Post
Another vote for the TH platform! I have never tried any of the others, but couldn't bring myself to spending $50-$60 for one. I paid $24 for my platform and it works great! I saw the travel size one at stamping convention and it was so cute! I wanted to buy it - but since I only stamp at home, I again, couldn't justify spending more money.

When it comes to tools, unfortunately I don't have a well-working off switch.

I've kind of thought Tiim could have chosen a better name than Travel Platform. I use a platform at home 98% of the time but the small one is the one I use for cards, and with the two open sides, can take larger paper. Just takes up less room.

How many people who haven't seen a stamping platform in real life, and who aren't on forums like SCS, assume they shouldn't get it because it's for travel...
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I jumped on the MISTI wagon as soon as I heard about it. I also bought the Mini MISTI. They always seemed kinda cheaply made to me and the hinges were loose. I bought the TH platform and I LOVE IT! I also just got the TH Travel platform so now I am selling both MISTI's along with all paper pads, corner thingys, etc.

I know that I can stamp with the TH platform once and most of the time it's perfect on the first try! Not the case with the MISTI... I usually have to stamp a few times to get a good image and sometimes the hinges move slightly and I have to start completely over.
Gallery Gazer

You may not need them, but you can use the corner thingys with the Platforms too, sometimes. : ) I keep forgetting I have them, so maybe don't need them.
Rubber Obsessor

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Jennifer McGuire has some videos demonstrating all the things you can do with the corners - you might want to check them out before you get rid of them. You can use them with any stamp platform for things like stamping off the edge of your cardstock and still having it lined up for repeat stamping, or stamping on an angle. I don’t use them often, but they work very well.
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been using my Stamparatus for a few weeks now and kept having the problem of not being able to stamp near the hinges. Apparently I am not the only one because this SU! demo made a video to share her shim solution to address the unevenness that the hinges create.

I can see needing to shim for stamp thickness, but needing to shim due to the design of the tool seems a bit much.

I like the TH platform, but almost always reach for my original MISTI, partly because it is right on my desk, partly because it was the first one I used so I am most used to it, and mostly because the footprint and stamping surface is just right for most of what I do (A2 cards). All three of them have pros and cons.