Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-05-2018, 08:14 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Pinterest

Pinterest is updating their Privacy Policy.

Might want to go to your account and read it.

Might be a deal breaker for some people if they will keep their account open or close it.

Just a heads up.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. I just read through it and I'm not happy. I will probably delete my account. I'd love to hear other opinions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2018, 07:57 PM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

No idea how to find it on my account, but I googled Pinterest’s privacy policy. What parts concerned you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2018, 07:57 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I didn't really see anything particularly alarming. Yes, they track a lot of information and have the potential to share it with others (especially if you buy something), but it's not really outside the norm for this type of site. In my opinion, Facebook is considerably riskier (especially given the most recent revelations on the political front). I'll probably stick around. I don't go there often, and never buy anything, and I'm not linked to anything else (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) so I don't think I'm particularly at risk for too much interference/exposure.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2018, 08:43 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

https://policy.pinterest.com/en/upda...privacy-policy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2018, 08:52 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post

Even though I have all my settings off I get a ton of promoted advertisements on my feed. Even stuff that does not pertain to me.

Looks like they are heading towards more promoted and advertisement on feeds and tracks from other sources of your activity.

I have been on pinterest less. I use it for cards and recipes and there are less of what I want and more of unwanted pins, promoted, advertisements on my feed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2018, 06:31 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I guess the way I look at it is that Pinterest is free to use, and they have to pay for it somehow, so I don't mind the ads, and if they want to share my email, well, it isn't the end of the world. I love Pinterest, and don't plan to read the new privacy policy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2018, 08:08 AM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

One way I try to protect myself is I have several email addresses. So the one they have is not the one I use for family, doctors, etc and if I had to kill it and start again, I could.

(This also makes it much easier to see the important ones from family and friends)

I dont do any social media...unless Pinterest is considered to be that?

This morning they said on the news the FB breach is now up to 87 million. I bet that number will continue to climb. :(

ETS: I also give the bare min of info I can, and often lie about what I consider to be at risk info like my BD on accounts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2018, 09:58 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Leslie, the link you posted is from 2016. I have no idea how to access anything concerning my account on Pinterest to see if there is a new Privacy Policy.
Reading every word of the 2016 post: I recommend, Don't ever log in to any website using your Facebook log in. Don't ever buy anything through Pinterest because it clearly states that they can share your credit card information!!
I began with Pinterest searching for card ideas, and if I posted something on what I considered my personal cork board, I immediately began to receive emails something to the effect of "Mary Jones liked your pin"....Well I didn't care who liked my pins and tried to contact Pinterest to stop this. I got some lame automated reply that my question would be responded to, but it never happened. BUT I did stop receiving those emails.
Don't ever think that anything online is private. We can only hope for REAL banking security and online purchase security through reputable dealers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2018, 11:52 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
Leslie, the link you posted is from 2016. I have no idea how to access anything concerning my account on Pinterest to see if there is a new Privacy Policy.
Reading every word of the 2016 post: I recommend, Don't ever log in to any website using your Facebook log in. Don't ever buy anything through Pinterest because it clearly states that they can share your credit card information!!
I began with Pinterest searching for card ideas, and if I posted something on what I considered my personal cork board, I immediately began to receive emails something to the effect of "Mary Jones liked your pin"....Well I didn't care who liked my pins and tried to contact Pinterest to stop this. I got some lame automated reply that my question would be responded to, but it never happened. BUT I did stop receiving those emails.
Don't ever think that anything online is private. We can only hope for REAL banking security and online purchase security through reputable dealers.

When I signed into pinterest to browse for cards, of course :razz:
There was a header at the top of my feed stating as of I think May 1st policy rules are changing. I clicked on that-because it says you have to agree to the new terms and click on the OK box, which I have not as of yet. But what I posted was what I clicked on to view the new policy rules.
I just went back into the link I posted and at the bottom it states Effective date May 1st 2018.

I don't see any day of 2016.

In your account setting you can turn off any or all email notifications.

Just double checked. The header up at the top of my feed is still there with the accept button to click on.

Last edited by lesliespringer; 04-06-2018 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: add'l info posted
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2018, 03:37 PM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Something that bothers me is that if you buy something for someone else (like a gift)-they collect THEIR delivery address and info. So someone who never came near Pinterest personally-they have them. I dont think that is right.

And I have no doubt they all are doing that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2018, 03:58 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Something that bothers me is that if you buy something for someone else (like a gift)-they collect THEIR delivery address and info. So someone who never came near Pinterest personally-they have them. I dont think that is right.

And I have no doubt they all are doing that.

Totally agree. I would never buy anything through pinterest. I would go direct to company or sellers website.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2018, 04:53 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have that same header on my Pinterest page:

Heads up! On May 1, 2018, we'll update our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service to make them clearer and to address some new privacy laws in Europe. Click Accept to let us know you're okay with the updates. Learn more

I also haven't pushed the Accept button, I wonder what will happen if I don't? There are a lot of things I like about the site, mainly that if my computer crashes I will still have all my favorite things there. I'm not savvy enough to do all that saving of files and other stuff so when it crashes I just go buy another computer and start over again! Anyway, I'm old and now so is my WIN7 computer. It's getting harder and harder to keep up with all this technology. boo ha.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2018, 07:16 PM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Sounds like it’s time for a new computer,
I haven’t gotten the pop up yet, but I don’t buy things through Pinterest. In fact, I read on SCS that you can ask to not see certain pins. (You click and hold, and it gives you that option.). I now mainly get pins of things I love.....cards, organizing a craft room, quinoa recipes, Monet, and Van Gogh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2018, 07:51 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I've also seen the banner about the change but haven't read it or clicked it. I do not sign into other sites using other accounts. I do have FB but very, very rarely posted on my own. Rarely posted on others. And have never 'liked' anything on FB. I always thought there was something a bit creepy about FB.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2018, 08:02 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Pinterest

i have been soooo frustrated with this thing. It seemed like I was getting more and more stuff I was not interested in coming in on my feed. .....especially ecipes and ads. I must have had about 100 recipes for shrimp alone over the last week.

The more pins I reported or blocked the more came up and I was hardly seeing any cards.

I have now been back in Canada for 4 days and this morning it seemed to be back to normal with very few non card pins. I hope this is something to do with fact I am no longer in the U.S.

In any event, I will report back if this continues and I certainly hope so, as it was exhausting scrolling and wasting time scrolling through my feed.Fingers crossed😉
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2018, 11:15 AM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

For those who dont know-I didnt see them till someone told me to look-

There are three grey small dots in a row on the right side under ad pics. You can click on those to say you never want to see this category of stuff again, block this one, and report it. When I say I am offended by something I generally dont see that again-like underwear ads.
There is so much of this info swapping and sharing (because which company owns which and therefore gets that info?). I am very disturbed by it.

If you really want to set your hair on fire...watch the documentary Terms and Conditions May Apply. Netflix has it as a rental. My DH looked at me and seriously said "can we live without the internet?" and he is on there all the time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2018, 03:46 PM   #18  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your information is out there one way or another. Someone has all your banking info, your address, your phone number (well those sound like the telephone book given our free to everyone) I don't post my ss number anywhere, although I know it has been breached. If you work for the government, if you bank in any number of the big banks, if you shop at any store, your information has been compromised. Be vigilent with your bank statements and make sure your credit card company informs you if over !00$ is charged. There isn't much you can do about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2018, 03:58 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuGView Post
your information is out there one way or another. Someone has all your banking info, your address, your phone number (well those sound like the telephone book given our free to everyone) I don't post my ss number anywhere, although I know it has been breached. If you work for the government, if you bank in any number of the big banks, if you shop at any store, your information has been compromised. Be vigilent with your bank statements and make sure your credit card company informs you if over !00$ is charged. There isn't much you can do about it.
I agree, Su. I have no expectation of privacy, really. I don't post my SS anywhere, although, like you, I know it's probably out there already. I use my credit card for day to day expenses, and pay it in full every month. If anyone scams it, the credit card company is quick to fix it, and send me a new card, no charge. I don't use a debit card that connects to my bank account.

I love Facebook and keep in touch with my children and grandchildren there. I don't post anything that I would not want the general public to see.

I decided I could either live in this current world, with all the electronic access, or be a hermit and keep my money in a coffee can under my bed. I'd rather live in the world.

PS A little story: last year my husband was given a VISA card by his bank, that he didn't really want, or ask for, but he took it anyway. He brought it home and put it in a drawer, and never used it. Several months later a bill came from a hotel in California for $400 or so charged to that card. We live in Oklahoma and do not travel.

So, a credit card that had never been used, was somehow scammed and used in California? We contacted the CC company and they took the charges off and we cancelled the card. Who knows how that happened???

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

Last edited by buggainok; 04-09-2018 at 04:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2018, 05:33 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Pinterest

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
For those who dont know-I didnt see them till someone told me to look-

There are three grey small dots in a row on the right side under ad pics. You can click on those to say you never want to see this category of stuff again, block this one, and report it. When I say I am offended by something I generally dont see that again-like underwear ads.
There is so much of this info swapping and sharing (because which company owns which and therefore gets that info?). I am very disturbed by it.

If you really want to set your hair on fire...watch the documentary Terms and Conditions May Apply. Netflix has it as a rental. My DH looked at me and seriously said "can we live without the internet?" and he is on there all the time!
My little fingers were constantly on those three little dots. I just could not keep up, as fast as I reported it seemed 5more of the same category.
Reply With Quote Likes