Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-20-2018, 05:40 PM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts
Default deep drawers for cardstock

I am going to be having some shelves and drawers built. I am thinking of having drawers to store all my 8-1/2 x 11" cardstock, because I do want to keep it out of the light. Would like to hear if there are pros and cons to this. I would not be storing pads on top of one another, just across so I could pull the drawer open and right away see all the colors. What do you think?

Thanks
Shirl
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2018, 06:01 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have mine in file drawers in hanging file folders. Mine is out of necessity but I’m good with it. It does take care of the light issue. I don’t keep more than about twenty sheets per folder and have some extras backed up in other storage. I keep my most used whites and creams and metallics in a separate file drawer at my desk for easy access. I also keep a shallow drawer of precut card sizes in white and cream within reach. Since you are having a custom build that opens up a lot of options for your paper storage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2018, 03:54 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have pretty much always kept my paper in hanging files and love it. It's nice being able to see the color groups at a glance and then immediately go to the one I want. I have not had any warping issues either and some of my hanging files are stuffed full.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2018, 06:48 AM   #4  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I like hanging folders for 8.5x11.0 cardstock. For the colors that only have a few sheets, you could use file jackets inside the hanging folder to prevent warping. You could use viewable labels:Smead Viewable Labeling System, Label Refill Pack, Hanging Folder Labels, Ink-Jet and Laser Printers (64915) - Walmart.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2018, 07:04 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I do not see any down side to drawers for this, but I would recommend hanging files, as others have. I don't know if you have 12" x 12" papers, but since you're doing custom drawers you have the perfect opportunity to deal with that difficult-to-store size as well! Happy days for you, all the way around - congrats! Make sure you post photos after they get built/installed, please and thank you!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2018, 10:16 AM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks for you all weighing in. I forgot about the hanging files as before I had my cardstock in a large plastic tub that was designed to use hanging files, but had taken the hanging file inserts out. Just had them all jammed in there and it worked alright actually.

Sue, yes, I do have 3- Iris (is that what they are called?) 12 x12 cases so maybe that is something to consider for that size. I had been storing those in a bedroom and using the bed to spread them all out to find something I wanted. We just do the best we can with this hobby, right?

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2018, 03:56 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlb19View Post
Thanks for you all weighing in. I forgot about the hanging files as before I had my cardstock in a large plastic tub that was designed to use hanging files, but had taken the hanging file inserts out. Just had them all jammed in there and it worked alright actually.

Sue, yes, I do have 3- Iris (is that what they are called?) 12 x12 cases so maybe that is something to consider for that size. I had been storing those in a bedroom and using the bed to spread them all out to find something I wanted. We just do the best we can with this hobby, right?

Shirl
True, that! I got so aggravated with the 12" papers that I chopped most of them up. The ones that escaped my wrath and remained intact were those that needed a specific use to determine which part to cut (I'm sure you understand that thought, lol), and specialty papers like glitter and vellum. One unforeseen upside: since I'd already "cut into that pretty piece of paper", it was far less traumatic to actually USE it!

Last edited by gregzgurl; 03-22-2018 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: correct a typo...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2018, 01:53 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Ha, yes, I do understand that thought, Sue and it makes total sense. We will always have a need to keep the 12x12's intact for some of them.

In quilting it was called fussy cutting. It was isolating a pattern to cut out, so cutting 12x12's into 6" squares would ruin the pattern you might want. I have a hard time putting this into words, but I am pretty sure that is what you were meaning.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2018, 07:00 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Ha, yes, I do understand that thought, Sue and it makes total sense. We will always have a need to keep the 12x12's intact for some of them.

In quilting it was called fussy cutting. It was isolating a pattern to cut out, so cutting 12x12's into 6" squares would ruin the pattern you might want. I have a hard time putting this into words, but I am pretty sure that is what you were meaning.

Shirl
That's exactly what I meant, and I'm pretty sure it's called fussy cutting in papercrafting, as well. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2018, 05:25 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How fun to design your on space!!!! My DREAM desk would for sure have hanging files for 8.5x11but also a drawer with hanging files for 12x12!!!! Have fun!!!!! Dream BIG! Haha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2018, 05:48 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I have mine hanging and I also found a rolling rack and file folders for my 12 x 12 designer paper! Love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2018, 06:53 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

I am going to be having some shelves and drawers built. I am thinking of having drawers to store all my 8-1/2 x 11" cardstock, because I do want to keep it out of the light. Would like to hear if there are pros and cons to this. I would not be storing pads on top of one another, just across so I could pull the drawer open and right away see all the colors. What do you think?

Thanks
Shirl

This is what I do, and I love it!!! I even store my 12x12 and wallpaper and magazine and text paper as well as watercolor, wood laminate, and any other stuff like that I use in card-making in a drawer. I have them in segmented accordian holders within the drawer and organize them by color.
Attached Thumbnails
deep drawers for cardstock-top-drawer.jpg   deep drawers for cardstock-bottom-drawer.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2018, 06:58 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

(Responding to Harrahx2 two posts up!)
Me too - I happen to have the Advantus cart, recommended by folks here. I like that it can be rolled to where I'm working or I can roll my chair to it. (It lives under my paper trimmer table/station.) The only thing I'd change would be making it a tad taller, but it's fine.

The hanging folders are bright white so colors in papers can be seen well with no contrast distortion. Here they are on Amazon, though I'd purchased them from several places:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00161OR9M...M&linkCode=asn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2018, 08:49 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

I kept 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock in hanging files in a drawer for years. Keep in mind the drawer can get quite heavy with all that paper. Now, mine was a desk drawer meant for hanging files. An old, wooden executive desk so no drawer slides on it. I imagine it would be much easier if you're drawer is going to have slides. But also keep in mind how much weight they could handle and check the weight load when purchasing.

I now have my paper on a shelf and prefer it that way and find it easier. It's deep so the paper sits back and not greatly exposed to light (also because of location) so I'm not very concerned with that. But if I was I could install a door or curtain if I wanted. (a curtain would be super easy with a small tension rod)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2018, 08:55 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

I use Jennifer McGuire's system for storing 8.5x11" cardstock. Basically, a job ticket holder (you can find these at Amazon or even Office Depot/OfficeMax) for each color, which I store in magazine holders that I place on their sides on a shelf. I have them in a closet, so no light issues! You can label the pouches, but most of my cardstocks are from multi-packs, so I don't have color names. I also have hanging file folders for 12x12" paper, and built a rack from 1x2 lumber pieces for those, with metal rods for the folders to hang from. I mostly keep scraps in those. The only problem I have with hanging folders for 12x12 (at least others I use for full sheets) is that the paper tends to slide down & curl inside the folder. But I suppose, if you have them packed pretty tightly in a drawer or rack, that would not be a problem. HTH!

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2018, 09:18 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by frugal scrapperView Post
I kept 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock in hanging files in a drawer for years. Keep in mind the drawer can get quite heavy with all that paper. Now, mine was a desk drawer meant for hanging files. An old, wooden executive desk so no drawer slides on it. I imagine it would be much easier if you're drawer is going to have slides. But also keep in mind how much weight they could handle and check the weight load when purchasing.

I now have my paper on a shelf and prefer it that way and find it easier. It's deep so the paper sits back and not greatly exposed to light (also because of location) so I'm not very concerned with that. But if I was I could install a door or curtain if I wanted. (a curtain would be super easy with a small tension rod)

Good point about weight and ditto the shelf preference. I don't love spending time bent over a lower file cabinet drawer.

I use Jennifer McGuire's system for 8.5x11 like papercrafter40 does. So far no light issues since the bookcase is against and to the side of the wall with windows, so it gets no direct sunlight - or crafting light.

Last edited by bjeans; 03-28-2018 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: Unclear
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2018, 12:56 PM   #17  
Glitter Queen

I also store my 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock in hanging folders but I use a 2 drawer lateral file (IKEA) right next to my crafting table and love it for paper storage. I keep 2 color packs (maximum 48 sheets) in each folder with a legal size envelope in front of each color for scraps, so I can easily check for smaller pieces before cutting into a new sheet. Much better than the paper stackers on the shelves which I used to use, easier to get to everything and see all the colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2018, 01:22 PM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckstampcrazyView Post
How fun to design your on space!!!! My DREAM desk would for sure have hanging files for 8.5x11but also a drawer with hanging files for 12x12!!!! Have fun!!!!! Dream BIG! Haha

Well, lol, that is my problem. I need a designer. I feel hopeless at achieving this myself. I did buy the Best Craft Organizer desk several years ago. It has shallow drawers on either side of it and it has been a really good investment. (Sadly, it has been discontinued). So, I am glad I bought it when I did. Although that desk is not designed to have hanging files. You could be a new designer! What a good idea! I had the contractor take the closet out of the approx. 9 x 11 foot room to give me more space but struggling with putting the desk in that newly created space or the shelves and drawers. I have no idea right now what to do with everything involved in this hobby.

Thanks for everyone weighing in.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2018, 02:05 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I have file drawers with hanging files and I love it! Before I had racks and it seemed that EVERY sheet had dinged up corners.

For each of my color "divisions", such as pinks, I have 3 hanging folders. One with whole and half sheets of plain cardstock, one with designer paper that reads as mainly pink, and one with a job ticket holder inside holding all of the smaller scraps of both types. Hope that makes sense. It's been working really well for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I have kept my paper in a file cabinet for quite some time. I have a file folder for each Stampin Up color I have. In each file folder I have the opened package of the color and a clear page protector containing the scraps of that color. I have found that to be extremely successful. The paper colors are in colored file folders - pinks and reds in red file folders, etc. I have the file folders in alphabetical order by color name. I have been using this system for almost ten years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2018, 02:43 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have filing cabinets as I wanted the card to lie flat, I think they're called Bisley filing cabinets. Perfect size for 8.5" x 11" and space for smaller scraps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2018, 04:31 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I designed my entire stamping room, and had my crafty DH build it. I have a large "desk" which is my main work table. That houses the two huge paper drawers---yes, he had to special order the drawer glides so they would hold the weight. I also have a cabinet for stamps. They are shallow and hold 6-two high clam shell boxes (so approx. 12 boxes). There are 30 of those drawers in two rows of 15, so I have lots of space for stamps. Then there is my color cabinet with drawers for ink pads, reinkers, crayons, chalk, pencils, various markers, powdered pigments. paints, embossing powders etc. The closet holds drawers with all sorts of embellishments as well as drawers of fabric. Another work table is my "office" plus sewing area. I also have my cutting/dry embossing area, tool storage, and patterns, templates, stencils and files for techniques and envelopes. Over that are book shelves for more tools in baskets and more books of techniques and pictures Behind the door is where I hang the plastic guttering that holds my rolls of ribbon. It all fits into a rather small area (about 10x 11), so I'm pleased that I am able to have my own room to organize as I see fit. Organization is my "other hobby" so I am quite content!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2018, 06:51 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I keep my 8 1/2 x 11 papers in hanging files by color groups along with the larger scraps in the front of each color or inside their plastic covering. I just cut open the narrow end. I have mostly Stampin' Up so I have a snip of that color in the label sleeve along with the color family (SS - Soft Subtles) etc). I inter file other brands (Gina K, PTI) in their own hangers along with the S Up but they are also marked. I keep the greens together, blues together etc. I keep them in alpha order with the current colors on the left and the retired colors (marked "R") on the right. I keep them in a hanging file box I bought years ago at Office Max that has a flip cover. The papers do not fade in the light as they are hung fairly close and I actually don't use the cover. This sits on an old side table so I do not need to bend over and it takes the weight. I use the shelf below for other storage.
PS: My stamping area is in a basement room and very cobbled together but it works. I can even see outside thru a large window that looks out into our covered firewood storage area so I can see if it is sunny, rainy or if it is has gotten dark as I have been stamping and lost track of time. Never happens to anyone else. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2018, 07:35 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Re-visiting this thread since a thought occurred to me after reading Beth's (bjeans) post on a different thread...

I'm a "leafer" - described by Beth as one who likes to leaf through books/notebooks/binders, as opposed to a "flipper" - described as one who likes to flip through a bin or file.

My 8 1/2" x 11" cardstock is in page protectors in binders, so I can flip through and hold the dp or whatever else I want to match up against the full sheet to see which color I want to actually use. I store the scraps right in the same page protector. If I have more sheets of that color than will comfortably fit in the sleeve, I put a little removable sticker that says "OF1" or "OF2", indicating that I have one or two "overflow" stacks tucked away. I got the colored binders, rather than white, so I could easily see which color group was in which binder. If I did use white, I'd probably put a colored strip in the pocket on the spine to identify the color within. Shelves are easier for me to deal with than drawers, so this system works better for me.

All of the cut-up papers I referred to in my original post are sorted by type - floral, polka dot, stripe, classic (damask, ogee, paisley, etc), specialty (foiled or embossed papers), etc., and in ROYGBIV order within that category. I didn't want to do all 6" x 6" because sometimes I make 5" x 7" cards or need a larger piece for a die cut, so I cut the 12" square into (1) 5" x 7", (1) 5" x 5", (2) 6" x 6" and (1) 1" x 12". This way I have plenty of options. I made dividers out of cereal boxes with my paper cutter and envelope punch board, and have all of the papers in shallow boxes on shelves. I can find anything very quickly and have definitely been using more dp since I chopped it up and made it easier to grab...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2018, 08:08 AM   #25  
Glitter Queen

03-28-2018, 08:53 AM #12
; border-width: 0px 1px; border-right-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-right-color: rgb(205, 204, 222); border-left-color: rgb(205, 204, 222); border-image: initial; border-top-style: initial; border-top-color: initial; border-bottom-style: initial; border-bottom-color: initial;">jeanne3579
What are those file folders in? I am having a hard time finding anything deep enough for 12x12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2018, 08:12 AM   #26  
Glitter Queen

Default Picture please

Quote:

Originally Posted by papercrafter40View Post
I use Jennifer McGuire's system for storing 8.5x11" cardstock. Basically, a job ticket holder (you can find these at Amazon or even Office Depot/OfficeMax) for each color, which I store in magazine holders that I place on their sides on a shelf. I have them in a closet, so no light issues! You can label the pouches, but most of my cardstocks are from multi-packs, so I don't have color names. I also have hanging file folders for 12x12" paper, and built a rack from 1x2 lumber pieces for those, with metal rods for the folders to hang from. I mostly keep scraps in those. The only problem I have with hanging folders for 12x12 (at least others I use for full sheets) is that the paper tends to slide down & curl inside the folder. But I suppose, if you have them packed pretty tightly in a drawer or rack, that would not be a problem. HTH!
Can you post a picture please
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2018, 01:59 PM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrahx2View Post
I have mine hanging and I also found a rolling rack and file folders for my 12 x 12 designer paper! Love it.
For your 12 x 12's, this sounds intriguing what you found. Any chance of taking a picture of what you have and posting it?

Thanks
Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes