Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-04-2018, 07:14 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Kits: another newbie question

What advice do you have concerning monthly kits? I used to get scrapbooking kits, but I haven't tried any since I have gotten into stamping and cardmaking. My questions: are they a good value, what about variety from month to month, are the products new or just stuff companies want to move?Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2018, 07:53 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,705 Likes on 1,830 Posts

It seems I have seen a thread on this lately, but can't locate it. I love some kits. I recently purchased My Monthly Hero Kit in the February theme of birds. It is a fun kit with a very large stamp of birds, matching dies that you have to cut apart, 3 ink cubes, 2 wreaths, a couple of pieces of wood grain paper. I added a set for the free shipping. It is a great kit.

I purchase Gina K Designs kits, but they are not monthly. They are always a great purchase as you get stamps, dies on magnetic sheets, lots of paper.

Most companies that are offering monthly kits are not just moving stuff the company does not want. They are generally new product, theme related. There are several videos from each company showing their kits, so I would look at each company and find their video. The Stamps of Life puts out a monthly card kit and it always looks like a wonderful one and all new product that can only be purchased through the kit. They have a few to purchase as they are have been in the warehouse, so those are a good place to look.

Here is the thread I have seen. This might be of help for you.
What monthly card kit by JaimeC at Splitcoaststampers
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Last edited by lovinpaper; 03-04-2018 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: adding a link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2018, 09:48 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

It is my belief that the companies for card making kits are doing sometimes exclusive things and always new things. ( not left over get it out and gone items) so, that is a good thing for you to know.
another thing is depending on how popular the said kit ends up being sometimes they sell out quickly.

that being said most of them have things where you can subscribe and get it every time without fail and or hope you can make decisions quickly at that time of the month when they flash the email at you of what the newest one is.

I have a substantial collection of things so, for me I do not subscribe and buy them here and there as something catches my fancy. hope this helps.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2018, 01:13 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally don't think kits offer a whole lot of value unless you either (1) like everything in the kits or (2) think you're really horrible at pulling things together and need someone to do the matching for you.

But they really are not money savers, IMO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2018, 03:04 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There are a couple of YouTube cardmakers I adore watching, Lost in Paper (Theres Alvrid?) and Vicky Papen.... not sure how to spell her last name, but she lives in Greece and is as creative as can be. Both share their creations from various stamp kits and while I have plenty of stash and no need for a kit, I find them both inspiring.

If you're a new stamper, you might want to check them out and see what kits they use and what matches your style. I will say, it seems like there's always something beyond the kit that is used in the wonderful cards they come up with, and I've been concerned that the whole 'kit' thing is a black hole of needing to get this and that as an endless 'add on'. just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,705 Likes on 1,830 Posts

Here is a person I just found and love her videos. She uses a lot of kits and seems to stick to what is included in the kit and not a lot of add-ons or extras. Her You Tube channel is Cards and Coffee Time. Cards and Coffee Time - YouTube

Here is her blog: Cards and Coffee Time | All things Paper, Made with Love to Share

She is creative and enjoyable to watch, I think.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2018, 05:58 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have gotten StampinUp ‘s monthly kits in the past. I am an experienced cardmaker and thought the novelty factor would be fun, kick start creativity when it tends to lag. SU runs $26 Canadian and felt pricey and I let it go. I deduced that they do a craft kit and a card kit the next, generally speaking. I didn’t enjoy the craft ones so that was another reason to let it go.

I liked getting a stamp set and ink spot or 2 every month, embellishments that I can use for other things. But my style wasn’t always reflected in the kit, how could it be! They have to make a broad variety of offerings.

I enjoyed waiting for the box to come and I loved making my own cards, using my own ideas to make unique cards. But I am also content now to not get them anymore. It’s had its day for me.

You can always try one! You can cancel anytime.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2018, 09:29 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I have never been one to buy kits because I've been doing this so long. HOWEVER, Hero Arts My Monthly Hero kits are fantastic deals, at least the three I've bought have been. Each kit has had a 6" X 8" sheet of stamps and coordinating dies. For February, the kit was titled "Spoken Bird"; it contained 21 images and 15 sentiments, 24 dies, 3 ink cubes, paper & a couple of tiny twig wreaths. All for $34.99. Love it! Here's a link:

https://heroarts.com/pages/mmh-february-2018-kit

And here's a video by our very own Lydia (a/k/a UnderstandBlue), our community manager, working her magic and showing that these are not just silhouette images:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2018, 09:44 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Also wanted to say that the October, 2017 kit is adorable and highly sought after. I was fortunate to get mine because I don't subscribe. It's all things North Pole; I won't attempt to describe it, but here's a look:

https://heroarts.com/pages/mmh-october-2017-kit

I don't work for Hero Arts, I just love their kits. And wish I had taken closer looks earlier, because there are a couple I would dearly love to have.

I also have a few of Papertrey Ink's kits, which I love. They are quite a bit more expensive, so I'm very selective in the ones I buy.

Since you're just starting out, I would recommend getting one of the Hero Arts kits. You get a lot of bang for your buck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2018, 03:08 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Jenniebean55, I am another fan of Vickys!. It's Vicky Papaioannou- she does amazing tutorials not only with card kits, but art journaling as well. I also love her voice, and sense of fun. I'm not a kit person myself, but all the kits I've seen her use looked really good value.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2018, 03:58 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Jenniebean55, I am another fan of Vickys!. It's Vicky Papaioannou- she does amazing tutorials not only with card kits, but art journaling as well. I also love her voice, and sense of fun. I'm not a kit person myself, but all the kits I've seen her use looked really good value.
yes, that Vicky! Her journaling is what drew me in and you're so right ... I love her voice and her sense of fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2018, 04:08 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been getting Paper Wishes kits for years. You make 10 different cards with all card stock, envelopes and all provided for $24.74 that includes shipping, Shaped, engineered and themed cards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2018, 04:26 AM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree about the Hero Arts My Monthly Hero kits...good value for $$$ and ALL Stamps/dies in the kit are unique to the kit and cannot be bought separately. Also, they offer coordinating add-ones which COULD be bought separately if you want to supplement. That being said, the style every month is not to my taste so I tend to be one of those “quick, check, it’s the first of the month” types and take my chances that I can get one before they sell out. So far, I have been lucky.
And yes, that bird one Linda E mentioned is fab!As for other kits, I have only tired the occasional one from Simon Says Stamp...their style really isn’t mine...and find that the ones with mostly paper go unused in my craft space. I already have a lot of paper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2018, 05:22 AM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

I really love the SU paper pumpkin kits. I work with a group of ladies from my mom's retirement home and these kits are perfect for this group. There are many videos on You Tube for alternative ideas. I usually create my own designs with the kits. The kit comes in a great box that I repurpose, ink spot, adhesive, card blanks, envelopes, and embellishments. I think it is a great value and a fun monthly surprise.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2018, 05:42 AM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Kits vary. And it is kind of personal preference thing to me too.
Some companies you have to be signed up for the program to get them.
Some you can buy them singly. But they may have limited quantities because they usually are limited editions. (so no, not pre-existing product-those may be sold as "value boxes"/mystery boxes, etc where you buy blind. I have not had good experiences with those myself)

Value is subjective-if you are doing it by just product or the peace of mind to help you coordinate the cards?

Some people seem to get them just to flip them on ebay...I see a lot of them hit shortly after a release. SSS comes to mind.

I would personally look at them like I do any other sets....is there enough in there that I would use to decide if I wanted them. They could have value based on product levels but it has no value to me if I am not going to use it-you know what I mean?

I wont sign up for mandatory monthly plans sets for just that reason. Some people though love it-they love the challenge of being handed a bunch of stuff and how are you going to use it? I have too much trouble figuring out cards to do that. I personally need to "see" uses when I look at something.

Hope something there helps. Like I said, some of this personal preference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2018, 06:16 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I've heard Hero Arts Kits are valued at $75 I believe, & sell for much less. They are quite packed with goodies! (As told by Jennifer McGuire) I haven't taken the plunge however. They usually follow a theme. I've only purchased a few "kits" by Paper Trey Ink & I've enjoyed them greatly! I thought they were worth it. And yes, they offer things they don't normally offer in the kits which is nice. Prices vary at Paper Trey Ink on their kits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2018, 08:39 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

One of my new-to-stamping friends bought a fabulous Hero Arts kit (jungle) and has also bought SU kits. It works for her because she has limited supplies, and gets to build her product stash. The accompanying tutorials are good. Several of us have thought it was a good way to start. I bought so much stuff at the beginning - wasted, donated and given away now. Kits are a good way to experiment, learn and find your niche.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2018, 09:11 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Folks have mentioned Hero Arts kits, and I've been really pleased by the few of those I've gotten. I don't have a subscription, because I always want to see it first. I was happy to see that the birds are still available, as I will probably go back and order that one.

I also have ordered kits from My Favorite Things, and have been really pleased with them. They do theirs as a preview, meaning you get first dibs at a good discount, and the stamp sets and dies are generally released about six weeks later. I really like these kits, too, both for value and for product. They have done some innovative things with their kits that I really like, and my customers have as well.

Simon Says Stamp also does a monthly kit, as well as occasional "special" kits..their Easter one is running now. I've also gotten some of those, and been happy with them. Of the three, I like the ones I've ordered, but find these the most uneven in terms of value. Just my opinion. Their components are generally available singly, and if I don't want or need all the bells and whistles in the kit, then I will just order that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I subscribe to the Simon Says Stamp kits. I've been a subscriber since 2013, but I don't necessarily get a kit every single month. I opted out of kits that weren't my style and also opted out when the kit wasn't in my budget due to other crafty spending. However, I did love every kit I purchased.

I think the stamps and supplies they pack in their kits fit my personal style. I like modern CAS and cute critters, and I love patterned paper and the heavy-weight cardstock that are included in pretty much every kit. A lot of the time, the kits include something I might be curious about but haven't bought yet - such as stickers, stencils, tools or embellishments. It gives me a chance to try out different techniques without having to commit to making yet another crafty order.

I have also purchased one Hero Arts kit (https://heroarts.com/pages/mmh-december-2017-kit) because I absolutely loved the theme and didn't have anything else like it in my stash. It was well worth it.

I wasn't as fond of the kits that came after that, however, so I'll keep an eye on it a bit longer before adding it to my monthly craft budget. There were a couple of older kits that I found out about much too late - I was sorry I missed those. But I did grab a few of the "add-on" stamps of the same theme and that made it a little better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2018, 10:32 AM   #20  
Glitter Queen

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a huge fan of Stephanie Bernard at The Stamps of Life. I've been getting the card kits for several months. She has club options depending on what your budget is, but I get both the stamp and die set as well as the card kit. You don't need both to make the suggested ideas, but sometimes they coordinate and that's fun. Check her out here: The {Stamps} of Life By Stephanie Barnard. Lots of support with samples and videos, but she doesn't give you instructions. Since you're new, it may not be what you're looking for. I second the earlier person's comment to try one from her site before subscribing. There's a 3 month minimum and you don't want to be disappointed for that long. I think it's a good value and always new stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2018, 10:43 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafty--mamaView Post
I'm a huge fan of Stephanie Bernard at The Stamps of Life. I've been getting the card kits for several months. She has club options depending on what your budget is, but I get both the stamp and die set as well as the card kit. You don't need both to make the suggested ideas, but sometimes they coordinate and that's fun. Check her out here: The {Stamps} of Life By Stephanie Barnard. Lots of support with samples and videos, but she doesn't give you instructions. Since you're new, it may not be what you're looking for. I second the earlier person's comment to try one from her site before subscribing. There's a 3 month minimum and you don't want to be disappointed for that long. I think it's a good value and always new stuff.

Yippee...off to go hunt another site...I love it when you all enable my love
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2018, 02:10 PM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, it's Stephanie Barnard. Huge fan, really!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2018, 02:13 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafty--mamaView Post
Sorry, it's Stephanie Barnard. Huge fan, really!

Don't sweat the little stuff...the link worked <G>. Browsing around there now...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2018, 07:10 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I was so impressed with some Hero Arts kits that I subscribed. I have used one and sold several on Ebay. I have 5 now I need to post on Ebay.
I just cancelled.
I like that SSS shows what they are offering in an email to members, then you can cancel that one. I think I have bought 2 out of the last year.
I have just started looking at Spellbinders 'kits'. They have 3 levels of dies and often offer other kits with stamps, dies and paper. Apparently they don't sell many because you can get them 50% off if you wait.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #25  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the recommendation lovinpaper (wink) as I just checked out Cards and Coffee Time's YT channel and you are so right....she's fantastic. I am now a subbie to her channel.

With respect to card kits, my absolute favorite monthly kit is by Hero Arts and I've been getting them for about 1 1/2. I find their kits not only unique, but I love the fact that they come with coordinating dies, some quality cardstock (although minimal), usually 3 mini ink cubes and some embellishments. They are without a doubt a great value and even though I live in Canada and have to pay shipping and Customs, they are still worth the price in my opinion (and I'm a frugal crafter LOL). I like someone else's suggestion to look at different suppliers' kits from past months to see if it suits your style. Check out their blogs as well as their YT Channels (if they have one) to see if you can find those who create using the kits. Good luck (scratch that and replace with 'break a pencil') and happy crafting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2018, 08:08 PM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinpaperView Post
Here is a person I just found and love her videos. She uses a lot of kits and seems to stick to what is included in the kit and not a lot of add-ons or extras. Her You Tube channel is Cards and Coffee Time. Cards and Coffee Time - YouTube

Here is her blog: Cards and Coffee Time | All things Paper, Made with Love to Share

She is creative and enjoyable to watch, I think.
I just found her videos a couple of days ago and she is very creative. I like that all her cards look different even though they are from the same paper pack or kit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2018, 07:06 AM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

I have been part of SU's paper pumpkin for a year and a half. I just recently cancelled so I can catch up.

Some months I suspended and that is nice too if you want to just skip a month. I'm working on cute bunny bags from last year right now. They were supposed to be treat bags but I Couldn't bear giving to the grandkids and having them thrown out. I'm making a swag for my mantel with them. See photo below!

I think the kits have really improved! What i really, really like is being part of the Facebook group.....Paper Pumpkin Fan Club. Check it out. You can see all the past kits and all the really fun alternatives. It's such a great group!

I love anticicipating with everyone else. It's so darn fun and such a simple pleasure! If you like the surprise you have to unfollow around delivery time tho as you will see the kit before it arrives!

I love the sneak peeks and it seems like we're all in a big club. I love it!
Attached Thumbnails
Kits: another newbie question-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2018, 01:04 PM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

I got another email from Spellbinders about their 'kits' so I just Had to email to them for more information. I'm not going to join anything with their brief description. Will post again if they answer me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2018, 06:23 PM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

I got the details on Spellbinders kits. They emailed back to my request for more details of their kit clubs:
Yes, the Spellbinders Club is a recurring monthly subscription charged on the same date every month. Orders will be processed and shipped within 3-7 business days once payment is received.

Yes, you will receive an email with the big reveal every month. The current offer will also be available on the website after the 1st of the month. Members have 48 hours before their payment date to cancel or skip a month. You have full access to make these changes to your membership.

Domestic US Mainland customers will either receive $5 Flat Rate Shipping on all www.spellbinderscreativearts.com web orders equaling less than $74.99 (not including taxes or any other fees).

We would love for you to join the Spellbinders Club. It has been my pleasure to serve you. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
[Their shipping $75 and up is free, Domestic]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2018, 05:13 AM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I have been part of SU's paper pumpkin for a year and a half. I just recently cancelled so I can catch up.

Some months I suspended and that is nice too if you want to just skip a month. I'm working on cute bunny bags from last year right now. They were supposed to be treat bags but I Couldn't bear giving to the grandkids and having them thrown out. I'm making a swag for my mantel with them. See photo below!

I think the kits have really improved! What i really, really like is being part of the Facebook group.....Paper Pumpkin Fan Club. Check it out. You can see all the past kits and all the really fun alternatives. It's such a great group!

I love anticicipating with everyone else. It's so darn fun and such a simple pleasure! If you like the surprise you have to unfollow around delivery time tho as you will see the kit before it arrives!

I love the sneak peeks and it seems like we're all in a big club. I love it!
Your bunny bags are ADORABLE! I don't think the kids would throw them out.... I think they'd carry them around all the time, at least for awhile! LOL Putting little treasures in them! LOVE that they are made of fabric!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #31  
Inking Addict

I get Simon Says Stamps monthly kit and Hero Arts monthly kit. I just cancelled my Paper Pumpkin subscription after the March kit.

Simon Says Stamp and Hero Arts are more expensive, but they also have ALOT more to offer. Sometimes there are stickers, but for the most part it is just supplies and you can do what you want with them or CASE their samples. I always feel like I get my moneys worth. The stamp sets are full size or there are two of them (hero arts are over-sized at 6x8. March Hero arts had a 6x8 stamp set and 7 dies plus an ink pad, some embossing powder, and papers (I'm forgetting some smaller stuff I think). Simon's March Kit had 2 stamp sets, 2 ink cubes, paper, envelopes, a shimmer pen, and some other small stuff. I love that they just send me the supplies and I can either CASE or create.

Paper Pumpkin, I would say, is more for a beginner crafter. It is less expensive. Lots of things precut so I felt it was less versatile. The card stock they include is way thinner than normal SU card stock. There were also a lot of projects/goodie bags/etc. that I have no use for. The stamp sets were nice because they aren't for sale, but there were a LOT of flowers, and the sets are small (I'm too lazy to go measure, but I want to say 3x4 maybe). The color tend to be very muted or dark for my taste.

Hero and Simon kits are both bright, bold, modern, fun kits. And I love that sometimes there is a brand new-to-me technique that I probably would not have tried if it weren't in the kit, like a blending brush, or alcohol inks (that might have been the Easter kit and not the monthly kit?), or foil with glue pens.

Another difference is that SU kit is a big surprise and you don't know what it is until others get theirs and post it on facebook. Hero Arts gives you a preview and you might be able to opt out (i never tried so I am not sure). SSS gives you a preview and I know you can opt out because a friend does so regularly. So that might be something to consider, also.

Last edited by WyomingRobin; 03-30-2018 at 02:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes