Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-26-2018, 03:01 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Distress Oxides: Problem Blending?

I decided to try 2 of the Distress Oxide inks, since I've heard so many good things about them. I use my Distress Inks for blending backgrounds and inking through stencils. I used one last night with a regular Distress ink to ink up an embossed panel, and the Oxide ink was definitely more difficult to blend. It was very streaky and wouldn't move around the cardstock as easily as the regular Distress ink. I'm disappointed and hesitant to buy more. I know about most of their other properties, but I'm not planning to use them in those ways. Anyone else having trouble blending them? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2018, 03:48 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have trouble too. I think it�s the paper I�m using not the inks.I use the cheap Georgia Pacific CS. I notice a lot of You Tube Stars
Use Bristol
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2018, 02:05 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Also, I think that part of the problem is that the formulation of the ink isn't as geared towards 'dry' blending as the original Distress Inks were. The Oxides are designed more to layer on top of each other, I believe from watching You Tube videos. So I don't think it is as easy to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2018, 03:18 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Thank you. I'm happy to know it's not just me. I think I'll stick with my regular Distress Inks. Now to buy a re-inker for my Shaded Lilac.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2018, 04:29 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Also, I think that part of the problem is that the formulation of the ink isn't as geared towards 'dry' blending as the original Distress Inks were. The Oxides are designed more to layer on top of each other, I believe from watching You Tube videos. So I don't think it is as easy to do.
I admit this confuses me a bit, since it's usually the opposite: people are often happy with Oxides right off the bat because of how much easier they are to blend than regular Distress - whether one or more colors. The first time I used them, I felt like I was channeling Laura Bassen. Later, women in an in-person Oxide class who were new to them had similar reactions. And Jennifer McGuire and others talk about how if you have trouble blending regular Distress (ME!), Oxides are a game changer.

If paper isn't the issue, or it's not a bad batch of ink, and the ink has been stored flat (not on its side), and the blending tool is good, I might suggest applying in multiple thin layers, not one or two thick ones. This was emphasized in class. Some videos show technique better than others, though knowing how much pressure is being applied is tough. Maybe others have better ideas. I'd hate anyone to lose out if there's a quick solution.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2018, 02:28 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just got my Distress Oxide inks in January, two sets of twelve and I love them because they blend so easily. I use either the TH small circle blending tool or a little finger dauber.

I have used three papers to blend on Neenah Solar white, Bazzill Kraft and SU colored CS such as Night of Navy and Emerald Envy.

I have had no issues, again I do store flat in a drawer. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2018, 03:25 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Since I was using the same paper for both types of ink, and the regular DI worked just fine, I have to conclude that it's the OI that are the problem for me. I don't like products that are too "fussy" to use. Thanks for all your suggestions. I do appreciate them. These inks just aren't for me, and that's OK. I'm glad I only bought 2 of them. I might just use them as pigment inks for embossing and see if I like them better for that. If not, I'll probably either give them away or sell them Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2018, 03:53 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

I wonder if it's the inks - that something happened to them before you got them. Oxides are the opposite of fussy - that's why they're easier to use than regular Distress for so many.

If one of these days you're near an LSS that has any open that they'd let you fool around with, that might be worth a quick try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2018, 04:23 AM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oxide inks are great for stamping with compared to distress inks, so you could use them for that if you are not happy with how they blend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2018, 04:27 AM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I would echo what others have said.

1. Check paper type.
2. Store flat.
3. Use the round blending tool.
4. Spritz with water and see if you like that effect!
5. Tape your paper down while you work. It leaves your hands free to work without getting them so inky.
6. Rosemary's right! They stamp very well!

I just picked up three new colors at my LSS and she's ordered me refills for them. I got the first full set and am now just adding colors I may be lacking. Beth (bjeans) got me hooked and I'm in love with the oxides!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2018, 06:29 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I absolutely love the distress oxides. I could never blend with the original distress inks. but with distress oxides, I have not problem at all. I also love the fact that if you blend two colours such as blue and yellow you will get a green where they blend together. Regular distress ink does not do that for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2018, 06:34 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

And if you let the ink dry somewhat - doesn't have to be bone dry - you can put a complementary color on top that would normally mix with it to make mud, but it won't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2018, 07:03 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I have difficulty in blending the Distress Inks--my arm just gives out after awhile; I was tickled to death when it was said the Oxide Inks were easier to blend, so I jumped on them when they first came out & have been TOTALLY SOLD on them!!! I don't have any trouble in blending them at all! I have the first two sets that came out & plan on getting the latest set that has come out too. I SO ENJOY working with the Oxide Inks & would recommend them to anyone. They just cover more than the Distress Inks with fewer swipes. Maybe, that is where the problem is? It covers more quickly than you expect?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2018, 07:04 AM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Paper for stamping with Distress Oxide

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosemarymciView Post
Oxide inks are great for stamping with compared to distress inks, so you could use them for that if you are not happy with how they blend.
Which paper do you recommend for stamping with Distress Oxides? I have tried a smooth white Coredinations paper that I have and the ink bleeds a little. Hoping to get some Neenah cardstock soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2018, 08:10 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I used copy card stock to Bristol Board without any problems for stamping with Oxide Inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2018, 09:18 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Why store Oxides flat

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
...and the ink has been stored flat (not on its side)
May I ask why you say to store the Oxides flat? I've been keeping mine on edge in a drawer because it's easy to quickly see the labels (I print them from the Ranger site) on the edges. When I first started stamping back in the Dark Ages, we were told to store ink pads upside down to keep the ink at the surface of the pad. Later, I've heard that's not necessary. But I never heard anything special about the Oxides, so I would like to know more about why we're supposed to store them flat (and is that right side up or upside down?). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2018, 09:22 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

I think it also has to do with the mixing of two different types of ink. From Ranger:

"Hi Beth,
Thank you for your email and interest in Ranger products.<o:p></o

Distress Oxide Ink Pads should be stored flat. Since the formula contains pigment, storing the pads on the sides may result in drawing the ink to the edge of the pad. <o:p></o

Original Distress Ink Pads can be stored flat or on the sides. If storing these pads on the side, just be sure there is no space for the lid to open.<o:p></o

There are currently no plans for a storage container for regular size Distress Ink Pads. Most crafters store them in a drawer, cabinet, on a shelf or in a plastic storage container. It really comes down to what works best for you.<o:p></o

Hope this helps.<o:p></o

Sincerely,<o:p></o
Ranger Industries|Customer Service<o:p></o
15 Park Rd., Tinton Falls, NJ 07724<o:p></o
800-244-2211"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2018, 09:33 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the beauty in the Oxides is the purity of the layering when using dry. Using light on top of dark is no longer a problem, since it doesn't muddy.
My favorite way to use the Oxides is just smearing the pads randomly on my silicone sheet, spritzing with water or TH Distress Refresher, and then making awesome backgrounds by swirling papers through the inks. So pretty, and not at all muddied. They also work well for stamping just as they are. Be patient!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBBetwixtView Post
Which paper do you recommend for stamping with Distress Oxides? I have tried a smooth white Coredinations paper that I have and the ink bleeds a little. Hoping to get some Neenah cardstock soon.
I live in Northern Ireland so I'm not sure if the card I use is available to you. I use Annamarie white stamping card or Create and Craft extra smooth stamping card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2018, 04:20 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Since I was using the same paper for both types of ink, and the regular DI worked just fine, I have to conclude that it's the OI that are the problem for me. I don't like products that are too "fussy" to use. Thanks for all your suggestions. I do appreciate them. These inks just aren't for me, and that's OK. I'm glad I only bought 2 of them. I might just use them as pigment inks for embossing and see if I like them better for that. If not, I'll probably either give them away or sell them Thanks again.
Different types of ink have different properties and some will work better or worse depending on the type of paper you are using. Just because your regular Distress Inks perform well on the paper you're using and the Distress Oxides do not does not necessarily mean that there is something wrong with the Oxide inks. There may be, but trying them with a different card stock may yield better results. In Tim Holtz's classes he uses a lot of manila tags with great results. (Just another suggestion.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2018, 09:24 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBBetwixtView Post
I use Bristol Smooth Vellum for best results, both with Distress and Oxides. If you are mixing the two, use the oxides first, let them dry (naturally or with help) then use the regular distress on top. Layering is the bomb with oxides, imo, because wet, they mix into nice colors, dry they just layer on top of each other.

I find oxides "smoother" than regular distress inks, but I continue to use both. Just depends on the project I'm working on. And I love, LOVE, what happens with water on the oxide inks. And they make exquisite galaxy backgrounds, too - more easily than regular oxides, imo.

Ok, I really like them <G>.

Last edited by joniworx; 02-28-2018 at 09:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2018, 03:22 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

lol! And they don't have to be completely dry when layering colors that you don't want to mix. Experimenting can find the wet-dry sweet spot.

They remind me a bit of paint, being more opaque (and regular Distress being more transparent).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2018, 03:51 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

Yeah, too much work and fussing for me. But that's me. Thanks for all the replies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2018, 04:02 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Just to clarify - no need for fussing or extra work. Mostly I just blend dry on Neenah.

These inks are forgiving - if you don't like something, add another layer or layers when kinda-sorta dry. Because they're opaque they cover up uglies.

For anyone curious about them, there are many techniques - but that's a different ballgame than simple blending - like there are techniques using any inks.

For water techniques, I don't usually go for water dots. I smoosh ink onto a craft mat leaving a bit of space between colors, spray with water, dab CS into colors. Dab more or add more ink as desired.

Stenciling with them is fun. Blend many layers of ink or swoosh lots of color onto CS - again, more layers is good. Put a stencil down when the ink is fairly dry and remove color with a baby wipe. With a bunch of layers, you don't have to go down to bare CS - you can remove down to lower layers.

Last edited by bjeans; 03-01-2018 at 04:28 AM.. Reason: Added stenciling and stuff
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2018, 05:08 AM   #25  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I just posted a card that I added a diecut that I did with the oxides. I blended three colors and the stamped over them. I love the diecut, but not crazy about the finished card

Contact paper masking by muscrat - at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I just posted a card that I added a diecut that I did with the oxides. I blended three colors and the stamped over them. I love the diecut, but not crazy about the finished card

Contact paper masking by muscrat - at Splitcoaststampers

That's pretty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #27  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Just to clarify - no need for fussing or extra work. Mostly I just blend dry on Neenah.

These inks are forgiving - if you don't like something, add another layer or layers when kinda-sorta dry. Because they're opaque they cover up uglies.

For anyone curious about them, there are many techniques - but that's a different ballgame than simple blending - like there are techniques using any inks.

For water techniques, I don't usually go for water dots. I smoosh ink onto a craft mat leaving a bit of space between colors, spray with water, dab CS into colors. Dab more or add more ink as desired.

Stenciling with them is fun. Blend many layers of ink or swoosh lots of color onto CS - again, more layers is good. Put a stencil down when the ink is fairly dry and remove color with a baby wipe. With a bunch of layers, you don't have to go down to bare CS - you can remove down to lower layers.
As I said, I know it's me. If I have to buy a special paper (other than watercolor paper) in order to use a particular ink, I consider that "fussy." I have good quality cardstock that I'm using for blending, but it isn't Neenah, and I don't want to buy the Neenah just for the Oxide inks. I already have more cardstock than I could ever use in about 10 years. And I don't plan to use the inks for other techniques, although they do sound like fun. I use other inks for stenciling and layering. Thanks again for the ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2018, 05:39 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get that. I don’t plan to buy glossy paper so I can use my Oxides the way they were demoed on Jennifer McGuire’s post today. I don’t really care much about those messy ink things but lots of people love them. I’m not good at ink smooshing either and don’t care if I get better. Sounds like you enjoy other parts of this hobby more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2018, 03:03 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I haven't tried and have no intention of trying the oxides. I have enough techniques that use the inks I already have and I'm not particularly impressed with the look of the oxides over the looks I can already get. I will save my money for stamps and cardstock and the inks I have that may need to be restocked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2018, 04:28 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

I use the Neenah paper for all my stamping, alcohol marker coloring and ink blending. I find the oxides work great with this. I buy a ream of it and find it lasts about 18 months.

However, I can totally understand not wanting to buy more paper if you can do everything else with what you already have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2018, 04:30 PM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

Heidi,
WHERE can you find a "ream" of Neenah paper? Thanks! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2018, 04:36 PM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
Heidi,
Amazon. I have purchased it for just under $40. I think it is 250 sheets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2018, 05:12 PM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

OUCH!!!! I'm SURE Amazon is much cheaper than elsewhere too. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

OUCH!!!! I'm SURE Amazon is much cheaper than elsewhere too. :(
I found it to be cheaper than buying the smaller packs elsewhere, especially considering that I use all of it up over 18 months or so.

Simon Says Stamp has 25 sheets for 5.99 which is 23 cents per sheet.

My ream was 15 cents a sheet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2018, 04:58 AM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

Thank You Heidi!!! I'll have to check it out! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2018, 12:43 PM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

Received 76 Likes on 24 Posts

I would suggest watching Youtube; Tim Holtz has videos on distressed oxide inks, blending, techniques, etc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2018, 06:18 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I was watching a video last night, from a lady called Vicky Papaioannou, and she was getting fantastic blending with Oxides on Watercolour paper. She was demoing an embossing plate, using the Oxides to add colour after.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2018, 08:09 AM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

And today Jennifer McGuire showed how you can paint with them:Distress Oxide Water Painting - Jennifer McGuire Ink

I'm not big on the water splatter look, though there are some gorgeous exceptions, but there's so much more that's different with these inks.

If you don't like a color you can completely cover it with another color, since Oxides are opaque/paint-like. I used an embossing folder bookmark sized embossed piece, didn't like yellow with blue and soot, and covered the yellow by blending on top of it. Added some silver paint pen lines following the folder lines, silver glitter pen, just fun.

Last edited by bjeans; 03-08-2018 at 08:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2018, 05:22 AM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Heidi,
Check your area for a paper supplier. I have one and I can get a ream of 110 lb Neenah for around $35 plus 250 nice envelopes for $12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2018, 05:23 AM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I decided to try 2 of the Distress Oxide inks, since I've heard so many good things about them. I use my Distress Inks for blending backgrounds and inking through stencils. I used one last night with a regular Distress ink to ink up an embossed panel, and the Oxide ink was definitely more difficult to blend. It was very streaky and wouldn't move around the cardstock as easily as the regular Distress ink. I'm disappointed and hesitant to buy more. I know about most of their other properties, but I'm not planning to use them in those ways. Anyone else having trouble blending them? Thanks.
Just one more thing, was your blending foam inked up well? My old foams blend like butter for all my inks
Reply With Quote Likes