Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-29-2018, 05:23 AM   #1  
Chat Box Chicks Princess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With MOJO!!!

Hi all!

I spent the last two years going through a divorce, a move, and finishing my bachelor's degree, so I've done little to no stamping at all. I can't seem to find my mojo and feel like I'm so behind with the times. Any suggestions on how I get started back into it? A lot of my stuff is still packed away, and I'd really like to get it out and get stamping again....it used to be my happy place.

Thanks~ Julie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2018, 05:28 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

It's good to see you again Julie!!!

I'm sorry about your divorce and your mojo.

I'd pick one of the challenges to ease back in - I find so much inspiration there. and we do have a VSN coming up next month!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2018, 05:50 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The ability to get my feelings out in a creative way thru art journaling really helped me get my creative juices flowing again.

Getting out a few of your favorites may very well help too. I want do a major clean, get rid of and reorganize to my room but can't right now so I tackled a few minor changes last week. Suddenly all I want to do is hang out in my craft room, surprising how little things can make all the difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2018, 06:58 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I hear you! I've moved twice in as many months (the second one was totally unexpected/unwelcome, but has turned out to be a blessing). I'm still tweaking the new space so it will be more welcoming and mojo-inducing. So far, not so much, but I figured out one of the main issues this weekend and have started the remedy. I remain hopeful! Meanwhile, Lydia and Stacy both gave you some good advice, welcome back, and good luck!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2018, 07:17 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Welcome back, Julie!! Sounds like you're a survivor indeed, but I'm sending mega-{{{hugs}}} from Texas and wish you the very best!

What works for one may or may not work at all for another ... but having just worked a stamp trade show for the past 3 days, I can tell you that just being in the presence of so many samples & make-n-takes has me itching to get to the studio! While we can't always find a stampy show to attend, fun alternatives that might help could include:
  • Explore new-to-you websites
  • Watch a few videos - Remember to view a few new-to-you peeps who might present a slightly different approach to spur your interest. It's easy to get stagnant by watching the same 2 or 3, limiting inspiration.
  • Visit a scrapbook store -- if you're fortunate enough to come across one. The best one in my area is an hour & 15 mins. away on a low-traffic time ... but I get out there once a year if possible.
  • Google Hangout or FaceTime with a stampy friend or 3 or 4! Stamp while you chat & show each other what you're doing ... just so much fun!
  • Play along in a sketch challenge, or our CAS or Color Challenge ... or any of the others to whet your whistle .... then of course, come share your works here at SCS!
  • Rejoin the RAK group here, update your addy, etc. -- You just never know what will surprise you at any time! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2018, 08:28 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

You've gotten some good advice so far. I went through a similar situation where life got in the way and I stopped crafting for almost a year. All my stuff got packed up then a small leak in the storage area got me off my feet because I realized it's all too precious to be sitting in a box. I added drawers to my storage system and got to organizing my supplies and that did it for me. Knowing what you have is the first step to exploring new techniques as well as re-awakening your talent and love for the craft. Maybe enter some challenges in the process. And as long as you do it for fun, and not make it seem like a chore, you'll find your mojo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2018, 10:39 AM   #7  
Chat Box Chicks Princess

Thanks so much for all of the wonderful advice and the well wishes. Hopefully, I can find time this week to play around in one of the challenges here at SCS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2018, 11:19 AM   #8  

Received 1,381 Likes on 515 Posts

Welcome back, Julie! I am sorry to hear about your divorce.

Lydia mentioned the Virtual Stamp Night coming in late March (there is a Mini VSN on February 23). I highly recommend that event for getting your mojo to return. VSNs are fun, the challenges are creative, and there are lots of friendly people participating that you can chat with along the way.

When I lose my mojo, I turn to CASEing (Copy and Share Everything). I will search by stamp set here on SCS, favorite a few projects, then recreate them. Sometimes I make it exactly as the original artist and other times I have to improvise with what I have. Either way, it is fun and can kick start something in me.

When all else fails, just hang out here and chat with other fellow stampers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2018, 12:38 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Hi Julie, here is a guaranteed way to get your mojo back. You should CASE this gorgeous card exactly...same colours, same everything! This beautiful card had 1973 views, 28 favourites. Guess who had it?

Challenges Galore Card by hobbywoman - at Splitcoaststampers

Please don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2018, 12:44 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tim Holtz was asked about this in a webinar I watched and he said that when he felt like he was out of ideas or had no mojo, he went into his studio and just did something. He did not go into it with the idea of making a project, he would simply tell himself he was going to do one thing - maybe make a BG, or stamp out some images to color later, or color in an image, anything. He said sometimes he would get inspired by what he was doing and take things further, but sometimes all he would do would be to do that one thing and then put it away. Best case scenario - you make something, or start something you see a direction for. Worst case scenario - you end up with a lot of elements you can use up the line. It was helpful for me to hear. I get low-mojo syndrome a lot. Unlike some people, who find crafting relieves stress, I find when I'm stressed my brain often just shuts down and I can't think creatively.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2018, 01:12 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You've been through so many big changes, it would be amazing for you to have the physical or mental or creative energy to do anything except rest, watch tv, read or whatever your no-energy activities are. Please be proud of what you've accomplished and what you've gone through. And wishing you had mojo is a positive step.

Ditto what Robin said that Tim said, and I add permission to do anything in my office/craft room - organizing, looking through paper, smooshing watercolors or dripping alcohol ink, anything with any or no purpose. And I only have to stay10 minutes. The one requirement is derri�re in the chair.

(When I've been doing large-scale organizing/purging, the requirement is 5 minutes, with a timer. Since starting is toughest, staying longer is the norm, but 5 minutes equals success.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2018, 02:16 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

Aww Jules (( HUGS ))

(I'd unpack some boxes... maybe something in them will spark you to play with them?)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2018, 04:16 PM   #13  
Chat Box Chicks Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie australiaView Post
Hi Julie, here is a guaranteed way to get your mojo back. You should CASE this gorgeous card exactly...same colours, same everything! This beautiful card had 1973 views, 28 favourites. Guess who had it?

Challenges Galore Card by hobbywoman - at Splitcoaststampers
Oh my word!!! I remember that card!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2018, 07:50 PM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Hmmmm "Guess who HAD it" should read Guess who MADE it. I need to check auto correct more LOL. Julie your gallery is beautiful, full of amazing cards and wonderful comments. I hope you make some 'me' time and sit down and randomly read some of the lovely things written.

Please don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2018, 02:23 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Putzing for creativity

Tim Holz stole my idea. I enjoy just putzing with some stamps, when I'm stuck. Sometimes I want to try to come up with my version of some design (recently Blue Onion) to see if I can, or see how some stamps work together, or see what happens if I do this or that with this stamp, or try to figure out 5 different ways I might use one stamp I like. I might not approach a project when I do this, but it gets my brain going, and later I can use what I learned from the experiments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2018, 02:52 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

Default Agree with Rachelrose and Tim Holtz

Totally agree with Rachelrose and Tim Holtz and, in fact, my response was going to be exactly that even before I read Rachelrose's comments - just START! You have to get past that "lost" feeling and the only way to do that is to start doing something. Take on something small and work from there. Action is the only way out of inaction.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2018, 03:59 AM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Try getting on Pinterest and search card making. I've gotten so many ideas from that site. Created my own board on things I want to try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2018, 04:03 AM   #18  

Received 1,381 Likes on 515 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BridgewaterView Post
Totally agree with Rachelrose and Tim Holtz and, in fact, my response was going to be exactly that even before I read Rachelrose's comments - just START! You have to get past that "lost" feeling and the only way to do that is to start doing something. Take on something small and work from there. Action is the only way out of inaction.

Oh, this is so true of several things in my life, not just stamping. It is why I don't let myself procrastinate. A SU demo (Sam Hammond), when asked how she got so much done, said she never thinks about whether she wants to do something. If it needs done, she just does it. Great advice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2018, 04:39 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I've never had to go through all you have, Julie: not surprised you're finding it difficult to pick up the threads. Have you got a samples book of your stamps? I only recently decided that I really needed one, as I'm always wanting a sentiment, or a flower, or whatever, and really don't know what's in my stash. I sat down with a load of paper, an ink pad and plenty of baby-wipes and went through my whole stamp collection, drawer by drawer. Not only do I have a printed (or, rather, inked) record of every stamp I have, I reconnected with a lot of stamps I'd forgotten were there and a number of them gave me ideas for new projects. Maybe that would work for you or, if not, at least you'd have a record of your stamps.

Lynda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2018, 06:33 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I haven't read all of the above comments, so maybe someone mentioned this.... But, if you have been out of the scene of stamping for awhile, you probably don't have some of the latest in tools? I think splurging on a Misti or some other tool that catches your eye is an incentive to begin stamping again! ;) You think?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2018, 08:08 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I use this site and Pinterest to pin to my Pinterest boards. I often add a hint in the edit section as to why I pinned this. "Note to self to combine balloons with any animal stamp." "Good way to use small stamps." "Reminder to get out the dp." Then when my mojo is missing, I go to a board and get a fresh look at a pinned idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2018, 08:08 AM   #22  

My thoughts are with you Julie. It's very difficult when we encounter life changes. I looks like you have confronted those changes head on and are ready to start the next chapter of your life. You will find your Mojo, just be open to the direction it takes you. You may find new ideas and creations to pursue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2018, 08:57 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome back! Major life changes can really send you into a whirlwind, and then you are reeling. Baby steps my friend, tiny baby steps. Maybe sit down with a favorite stamp or set, and just ponder colors. I often come to the SPL gallery for inspiration, and not just for card making, but for a spirit lift. Bless you, and take care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2018, 09:02 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Susie.....what a sweet and wonderful idea to take Julie to one of her own cards. Julie.....I hope that works for you. I like Rachelrose's sharing of Tim Holtz's idea. Just go and do something. Anything. With any luck it will grab you and get back into it. Here's what I do: I go shopping!!!! You'll come home with new stuff that you'll be itching to use! Welcome back and good luck.
life is something that happens only when you run out of cardstock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2018, 09:38 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
Oh, this is so true of several things in my life, not just stamping. It is why I don't let myself procrastinate. A SU demo (Sam Hammond), when asked how she got so much done, said she never thinks about whether she wants to do something. If it needs done, she just does it. Great advice.
Agree. Derri�re in chair approach. Same for writers.

I often lose mojo. In fact I rarely have it. Sometimes I lose it when there are too many options, things to play with. Overwhelmness. That's going on now so besides dripping alcohol inks on Wapo and futzing with organizing, I registered for a class. Let someone else tell me what to do. Well, two classes, so now I have to choose. : )

TexasGrammy said, "What works for one may or may not work at all for another." Yes! Otherwise, already feeling bad about lack of mojo, it could be easy to slide down this rabbit hole: Since others get mojo back by doing A, B or C, and those don't work or the idea of trying them doesn't resonate, clearly I'm a mess.

It's okay to [briefly] miss how productive we were at one time, but now is a different time, and there are logical reasons for how we feel. So maybe trying something new will work, but it's fine if it doesn't. So is catching up on guilty pleasure tv shows or reading mysteries while letting creativity percolate, and most of all not beating ourselves up.

Last edited by bjeans; 01-31-2018 at 01:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2018, 12:18 PM   #26  
Chat Box Chicks Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
I haven't read all of the above comments, so maybe someone mentioned this.... But, if you have been out of the scene of stamping for awhile, you probably don't have some of the latest in tools? I think splurging on a Misti or some other tool that catches your eye is an incentive to begin stamping again! ;) You think?
Buying new stuff is ALWAYS a good idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2018, 12:26 PM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Treat yourself to one new stamp set - a pretty floral to color in, a snarky fun pun set, cute animals, something to make you smile and enjoy. Just stamp and color, no project intended. Go from there. Bet the time will fly by...and you will be smiling.

Joni
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2018, 03:58 PM   #28  
Chat Box Chicks Princess

So I decided to treat myself by getting some new PTI Stamps! I couldn’t wait to get home from Work and get inky. Here’s what I made

I�ve Still Got It by hobbywoman - at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2018, 04:01 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbywomanView Post
So I decided to treat myself by getting some new PTI Stamps! I couldn�t wait to get home from Work and get inky. Here�s what I made

I�ve Still Got It by hobbywoman - at Splitcoaststampers

Well shoot, the image is still pending approval...can you post it here? Can't wait to see what you did! I'm glad you are feeling some creativity come back into your life!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2018, 04:21 PM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That’s lovely! So crisp and bright! I like the sequins, they add a bit of sparkle. And doesn’t it feel grand I’m so glad you had such a great time creating. Thanks for sharing your journey back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2018, 04:35 PM   #31  
Chat Box Chicks Princess

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2018, 09:13 PM   #32  
Kookie Creator

So pretty - love the composition, and wow, what a nice set of stamps!!! Thanks for sharing it here. (and in your gallery!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2018, 03:38 PM   #33  
Chat Box Chicks Princess

Thank you for the kind words ladies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2018, 05:01 PM   #34  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I was going to suggest just coloring in a book while you watch tv...some of them translate to be BGs later, but just to get a pen, pencil or brush in your hand in a way it doesn't matter. Make color!

But you beat me to it and you are off and running! Yay!
Reply With Quote Likes