Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-27-2017, 05:14 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default pencil case, how big

I was wondering what size most have and like and at what point the case gets "too big and heavy".

My husband got me a zip closed style 72 count pencil case for christmas. The problem is while I have a 72 count set of Prisma, I actually have more than that because I've purchased a few colors individually as well as the blender and eraser pencils that will need a place in my case. So we are talking about getting me a bigger one. I would love to get one big enough for my pencils, gel pens and some markers but maybe I'd be better off getting more that one case instead.

I have tried to envision both and what would be best when I go to my friends house to bible journal but keep coming up with pro's and con's to both. I need input from others to make a decision.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2017, 05:57 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have a pencil case but just reading your message the idea of an a tablet case came to mind, it would be bigger but still have a zip? I am not sure if it would work but I do have the strangest ideas sometimes.

the link is an example of what I mean

tablet zip pouch - Google Search

You pick similar up at the dollar/pound/euro store
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2017, 06:48 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

I have a leather pencil case that holds 120 pencils. It has 2 zippered areas and when you unzio one, or both, it opens up like a book. It does take up some space when opened out on my desk, but I wouldn't say it's too bulky for transporting. I bought it quite a number of years ago from Dick Blick on-line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2017, 07:19 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

For travel, I'd probably curate 30-35 colors using ROYGBIV as a mental guide, plus a couple neutrals, along with what I reach for the most, since colors can be blended, and even one pencil can make light to dark[er] colors. (Thinking about Dini's lovely video tutorial here.)

And I'd bring a colorless Prismacolor marker for easy blending, unless I was sure my little felt-tipped Gamsol bottle would travel well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2017, 05:07 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

A book like one is what I want. I'm just not sure how big or what options to get. I'm leaning towards getting at least a 120 count case, probably bigger though.

Transport in the tin has never been a problem, two heavy duty rubber bands and off I go. I wanted this case so I can get all them out of the original tin they came in and better protect them from damage. They do move and rattle around a bit in the tin and I wonder what that is doing to the leads. Flipping pages would be more convenient than shuffling pencil trays too.

I've got several basic zip pouches that I can put 'just a few' into but invariably I need the ones I didn't bring. I loved having all my pencils, pens, etc with me when I put them into the canvas carrier I got from Harbor Freight. That thing can hold a lot but it was always falling over in the car, scattering everything everywhere. The biggest problem though was that pens, etc keep falling out of the pockets and getting lost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2017, 06:20 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 661 Likes on 415 Posts

I have a huge one for my Prisma Pencils, it has 4 zippers. its not that heavy, unless I put the bag (2 zippers) of Polychromos pencils in the tote bag too.

I am seriously thinking about splitting up my pencils that are mostly sorted by brand/type at the moment into non watercolor ones sorted by the colors I use the most. I used to have them in vintage flower pots but, that is hard to take to work.
there are colors that each of those lines do not have so, I bought the cases to make them more portable friendly.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2017, 06:22 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 661 Likes on 415 Posts

if you normally melt pigments with gamsol a more travel friendly idea is to pick up a
Prisma colorless blender marker ( these are sold single on the shelf at Micheals) and that will melt your pencil pigments.

I have a I think it may have been a make up pouch bag that has one of those markers, erasers, tiny black sharpie marker, white gel pen, clear gel pen in it. and the images I want to color go in that one usually too. ( it has three compartments)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2017, 01:32 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Here's one that might fit your needs: https://www.dickblick.com/products/g...s/#description

It holds 120, which would give you extra room for your pens and markers. Great price too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2017, 05:12 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

New questions

1)Individual elastic slots for each pencil or wider bands that hold several at a time?

2)Does anyone have one with removable velcro pages. The 48 hubby got had velcro along the spine so you could remove pages. I can see this as a plus and minus:

plus - able to take out only the pencils you want to use

minus - pages falling out because of weight and/or velcro getting clogged and old
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2017, 03:03 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 150 pencil case, without removable sections, they just fold out with pencils on both sides of the flaps. I find this awkward, I think removable sections would be better. If you carried it flat or with the velcro down so the weight isn’t pulling on it I would think it would last a fair while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2018, 05:08 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Here's one that might fit your needs: Global Art Canvas Pencil Cases - BLICK art materials

It holds 120, which would give you extra room for your pens and markers. Great price too!
I have 8 of these, and I love them. I had to split my Prismacolors into 2 cases :oops: but I do have some other brands mixed in with them.

This is a newer case - you may find older versions that have 2 rows of elastic. (These are Pablo pencils.) So there are 2 'pages' like this, and the whole case holds 120.

This is funny to me too - the far left is black, but the others are all variations of "brown" from the same company and stock number.

Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2018, 08:08 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using Derwent's Canvas Carry All pencil case. I've purchased them on Amazon, and you can get additional inserts to increase the amount it will hold. It's great because depending on the size sets, you could easily fit two, possible three sets of pencils. I have put a little over 200 in a case, so they can be very flexible for your needs.

Also, because they are a neutral tan color, I have used my various spray paints to decorate my bags!! They dry quickly, and I haven't had the color rub off on anything. I've used everything from Lindy's Stamp Gang sprays to Altenew's, to Dylusions. So far, no issues!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 01:59 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

My old, plastic Snoopy lunch box used to hold all my colored pencils (in a zip lock) with all my double pointed markers. Then I had too many. My pencils have moved into a dollar store pencil box. For travel I just used a neat, plastic “slide in and snap” dollar store pencil box for a selection of gel pens and skinny markers so my girls and I could color Pusheen pictures on the airplane. It would be great for about 20 pencils selected for travel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 06:36 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a pencil case I purchased on Amazon. You can just type in Pencil Cases for Adults & bunch come up. Different sizes & different prices! The pencil case I have opens like a book & has room for 124 pencils, plus room for small pencil sharpeners. I don't even have it full at this point. I also have a box that has a magnetic top flap from Faber Castell---it was the box the pencils came in & it is well made & made for storing the pencils in it. And I have another large tin that my Dick Blick Pencils came in, & I also have a small pencil case just for my sketch pencils. It's alright if you don't have them all together in one container. I think that would be an awfully big pencil case to have to carry around. Think more as to what you would want to carry around, whether it be inside your home or out, & what pencils you actually LOVE to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 08:25 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

I have two of the pencils cases fom Dick Blick that hold 120. I use one for my watercolor pencils and one for my Prism pencils. I also have a smaller one for my Stampin Up pencils! I like to keep my different type of pencils separate.
"Snowmen fall from heaven...unassembled." Author unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 08:59 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a pencil case that I bought from amazon that holds 168 pencils. I have 120 prismacolors, 12 intense colors and 24 Kimberly watercolor pencils in it and I do not think it is too heavy. if I were flying though I might want to pair it down to a most used colors plus my watercolor pencils
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 10:20 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought a new product from Organize Now. It is a stand up pencil holder. I am colouring more than 2000 images for my cards per year and I was tired of throwing the pencils into a basket and.or laying on my table and falling to the floor and breaking. I also have a case that holds all my pencils but it is a PITA to get at the pencils quickly so I just store them in there. Also I do not travel with my supplies I stay at home and work.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2018, 06:06 PM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

I have this one (holds 120 pencils) . I use it to take my colored pencils to my monthly card club. Tran Deluxe Pencil Cases - BLICK art materials
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2018, 06:32 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

This is the case I purchased in a different color
Amazon.com : BTSKY 160 Slots Colored Pencil Organizer - Deluxe PU Leather Pencil Case Holder (Pink) : Office Products
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2018, 05:26 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

I wondered about the one with multiple zippers but not sure if that makes the pencils more of less accessible. I see lots of pro and cons going on in my head, wish I could see it in person.

I like how the ones in the Trans brand stick out a bit, that would make them easier to see which color is which and easier to pull out and put back I'll bet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

you could label the ring on the zipper as to what colors are in that section. I saved the last section for my watercolor pencils and intense as I use those the most. what I thought the struggle would be is the individual elastic slots holding in the pencils. after using I find I like that rather than several held by 1 elastic. Only cons I can think of is
having the zippers break over time but even that can be fixed using a one wrap by Velcro so I am happy so far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2018, 06:10 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I know that I am a little late to the game but I found that after buying a zippered pencil case, I was not happy with it at all. It is a hassle to get them in and out, the colors get on the inside fabric and God forbid you decide to get a new pencil, you have to take most of them out to get the color in the right spot. I keep my collection of Prisma pencils in a round, sectioned container that spins. I keep my Prisma watercolor pencils and my Inktense pencils in their original tins and all others I keep in pencil boxes. When I travel, I take only certain ones and put them in a pencil box. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2018, 06:21 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 488 Likes on 307 Posts

I have two, one is a 120 and the other one isn't (think it holds 4.....I keep all the neutrals in the small one (black,gray, browns, blender and eraser). The big one has all the colors in roygbiv-----each elastic holds 3....I have both Prisma and others in both, same rules----I know which ones are prisma and which aren't and choose accordingly. These were my first purchase for storage(other than large plastic cup) and I love them. Right now they are packed for a trip west tomorrow and along with a clamshell of images, some aqua painters and blender pens are in a Really ----- box ( I use this brand of storage boxes for everything photographic and papercrafting) ready to grab and go in the car. I like the storage boxes for several reasons--in motel rooms the lid makes a good catch all when I'm "working" and can sub for a smooth/hard surface for coloring on when needed.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes