Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-21-2018, 01:49 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking wow Tim Holtz!!! creativation

I just watched a youtube video from "Scrap Time" showing Tim Holtz introduce his new releases from Sizzix
all I can say is wow wow wow
there's so much to love!
gotta get those flower dies!
to view just search youtube "creativation 2018!"
he has some other videos too
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2018, 08:11 AM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

He had FB Live sneak peeks recently and they were fascinating to watch. I don't usually buy TH products but I always love the tools he comes out with, so that is what I was most interested in. And they were impressive!

I also love just watching him create. He is SO talented and likable! He said he was going to have some live video from Creativation so I will have to check it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2018, 12:51 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was relieved to see that the items I most want won't be available until May. Those impresslits. I can save up. ;)!

Yes, check out the video about Distress Resist Spray. TH at his adorable best. At one point he is drying the stuff on a tag and looks right into the camera and says "One thing I have learned, don't stamp with it. Whatever idea you have, move on. Because even if it's wet, it won't come off your stamp. Rubber, clear, no. Cleaner, water, baby wipe, no. Just not going to happen, it'll never be the same. But I tried it for you, so you're welcome."

I was laughing so hard I almost fell off my chair.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2018, 01:55 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I was relieved to see that the items I most want won't be available until May. Those impresslits. I can save up. ;)!

Yes, check out the video about Distress Resist Spray. TH at his adorable best. At one point he is drying the stuff on a tag and looks right into the camera and says "One thing I have learned, don't stamp with it. Whatever idea you have, move on. Because even if it's wet, it won't come off your stamp. Rubber, clear, no. Cleaner, water, baby wipe, no. Just not going to happen, it'll never be the same. But I tried it for you, so you're welcome."

I was laughing so hard I almost fell off my chair.
I liked that video so much I forwarded it to a friend. So fun and likable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2018, 05:19 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I haven't checked out the video yet, but that sounds like Goosebumps. I'm not sure whether it was Ranger, Stamper's Anonymous, or another company that manufactured this, but it was a resist spray that was sold in 2012. I remember creating a whole bunch of Halloween cards with it that we used as samples in the store where I worked. They looked really cool. It sounds like the same stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2018, 06:00 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

I watched the video again. I used to have Goosebumps in matte and shiny but didn’t use it much. That’s an interesting point. I wonder if there is a difference. I never thought about using goosebumps with stencils or embossing powder. I also got it on my computer and it was as hard to remove as he describes, so there is that similarity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2018, 04:37 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I kind of love when he calls the possibility of cutting your fingers with the Tonic guillotine cutter "a choice." An alone-in-the-kitchen LOL moment. (He does explain that Tonic has done everything possible to protect your fingers with a guard.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2018, 05:23 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
I watched the video again. I used to have Goosebumps in matte and shiny but didn�t use it much. That�s an interesting point. I wonder if there is a difference. I never thought about using goosebumps with stencils or embossing powder. I also got it on my computer and it was as hard to remove as he describes, so there is that similarity.

I had thought about it back in the day, but I didn't think I'd be able to get it off the stencils. The only thing I didn't like about Goosebumps is that it took awhile to dry.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same stuff, and he's re-inventing the wheel - again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2018, 06:30 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Here's the video where he says if your fingers get in the way it's a choice (about 28 minutes in) as well as a keychain/pocket version of the stamping platform at around 25:50.

(For anyone newer to youtube, you can move the slider with your curser (computer) or finger (tablet) to fast forward.)

https://m.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2018, 08:25 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I watched his Facebook live sneak peeks of all the new products and have been loving his Creativation demos as well. I always think “I want it ALL” and start to wonder how my budget can stretch...LOL. Luckily, with staggered release times I get time to calm down and really think about what I will actually USE. At this point, though I purchased the first two releases of Oxide ink in their entirety; there are 3 or 4 from the new release I want. I really want the Glorious Bouquet Stamp set, the Gears and Riveted Metal 3-D texture fades have me drooling...as well as the wood plank and the Bigz die for wood planks! I’m seriously wanting the blending brushes and the Media Mat would be awesome but I just don’t think I have the room for it. OH...and the Distress Resist Spray!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2018, 08:59 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

An Oxide ink approach by Tim I hadn't seen before: glossy CS (not photo paper) and Micro Glaze, and of course some funny moments:

https://m.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2018, 10:30 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I had thought about it back in the day, but I didn't think I'd be able to get it off the stencils. The only thing I didn't like about Goosebumps is that it took awhile to dry.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same stuff, and he's re-inventing the wheel - again.
OK. I watched the video. I'm almost positive that resist spray is re-manufactured Goosebumps. I might give the spray a try, but it just annoys me when people act like they've invented something when they really haven't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2018, 11:02 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

The Goosebumps resist is by Tsukinecko. And you could stamp with it. You could also use it on a craft mat. Tim cautions against doing this with the Distress resist. He says it won't come off a craft mat.

So they look similar, but could not be exactly the same.

But I get what you are saying. In the video bjeans posted, he uses the Distress glaze, which is nothing more than a repackaging of Judikins micro glaze, which is basically the same thing as Renaissance Wax, which is by another company entirely, I forget who.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

That ^. And he said it ruined a stamp and he had to razor-blade it off of his computer. Kind of a ready - fire - aim kind of guy. : )

Robin, there's no chance the various glazes are a bit different? I'm not micro glaze knowledgable, just curious. Did Judikens sell the formula?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2018, 12:32 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

I don't know how these things work. I know, for example, that Stewart Superior makes inks for a lot of companies who sell it under their own brand name.

If Judikins is producing the micro glaze and then Ranger is buying and packaging it as part of the Distress Craftiverse, then good for Judikins because anything that says Distress on it seems to fly off the shelves these days. But I don't know. I have used all three, and they seem the same to me. It may be that they are made from something that's not patentable. And the Judikins and the Distess are both called Micro Glaze, which has always made me suspicious. I mean, the same name? Micro Glaze? It's not like Micro Glaze is a generic descriptor, like tissues or hot dogs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2018, 12:40 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I can tell you what Tim said about the Micro Glaze at his workshop, which was that Judikins came to him about marketing the Micro Glaze under the Distress name, as after a long time with only mediocre sales, it was suddenly selling more as people had seen him use it with DI's.
I've just been watching the You Tube videos, and laughed at the same things, particularly about being careful what you cut!
I think the small stamp platform will fall in my shopping basket, and oh I love the Alcohol ink storage tins, especially as they'll hold Stickles & Pearls too. A few of those will be bought.
A few of the new Oxides- I'm only buying certain ones from each release, I have way too many inkpads already.
On the subject of similar products, the two Tonic Guillotines are definitely identical to the two X-Cut ones I have, down to the extension ruler underneath, so I'm pretty certain they must be one and the same company. But they are good, I agree, both perfect sizes, and stay sharp for ever.My large one is at least 10 years old, and cuts as well as the day I got it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2018, 02:14 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Well, thank you, Shaz, for completely clearing that up. It's what I suspected. Judikins made a smart move.

Yes, while I am not a Tim-style crafter, I do like some of the upcoming releases. The 3D EFs look interesting. I just wish that there would be more EFs produced that were sized up beyond A2 card size. Even when I do make cards these days (tags have my attention at the moment), I am usually working bigger than A2.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2018, 04:47 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

The Goosebumps resist is by Tsukinecko. And you could stamp with it. You could also use it on a craft mat. Tim cautions against doing this with the Distress resist. He says it won't come off a craft mat.

So they look similar, but could not be exactly the same.

But I get what you are saying. In the video bjeans posted, he uses the Distress glaze, which is nothing more than a repackaging of Judikins micro glaze, which is basically the same thing as Renaissance Wax, which is by another company entirely, I forget who.

Hmm, I don't remember being able to stamp with the Goosebumps, but I could be mistaken. I agree about the MicroGlaze. I think the original designers should at least be given some sort of credit. I don't know how all this works legally, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2018, 05:24 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

I saw it on a video:

At the end, interestingly, she talks about where you can get it and says she got hers at Michaels, but it was in the Tim Holtz section. Isn't that weird?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2018, 10:23 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Just want to add that the clay based glossy paper may be similar to Yasutomo's Mineral Paper.

Mineral Paper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2018, 02:48 AM   #21  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Location: In the '82 Los Angeles underground, looking to hire...The A-Team.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
An Oxide ink approach by Tim I hadn't seen before: glossy CS (not photo paper) and Micro Glaze, and of course some funny moments:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YPCY5SHOZjA
OMG! :shock: When he rubbed that MicroGlaze on the project....wow!

Never give up, just practice, stay positive and have fun!

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, if you can find them, maybe you can hire...
The A-Team.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2018, 03:42 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mollymoo951View Post
You can get the same effect with some photo papers without needing MicroGlaze (a baby wipe worked for me)...but it took me quite a bit of experimenting to find which ones worked! Unfortunately not the one I have copious amounts of.

TLC673 Sunshine Giraffe by Cook22

FF17KelliJo Phoenix from the Ashes by Cook22
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2018, 03:56 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

The 3D EFs look interesting. I just wish that there would be more EFs produced that were sized up beyond A2 card size. Even when I do make cards these days (tags have my attention at the moment), I am usually working bigger than A2.
Rachelrose, you may want to go have a look at Crafters Companion USA.
They have a huge number of EF's, and their 'average' size is 5"x7". They also go larger than this, I have a couple of their Textures Embossing Folders, and they are 8"x8".
They have also recently brought out 3D EF's, back last October time, but I don't think they have them in stock on the USA site yet, although they do have the images.
These images were samples I saw at a Craft Fair, which is what prompted
me to buy a few! They've been embossed onto black cardstock, then have rub on wax added.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2018, 04:49 AM   #24  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
He had FB Live sneak peeks recently and they were fascinating to watch. I don't usually buy TH products but I always love the tools he comes out with, so that is what I was most interested in. And they were impressive!

I also love just watching him create. He is SO talented and likable! He said he was going to have some live video from Creativation so I will have to check it out.
He has tools, tools, and more tools. The one guillotine cutter is the same as the one I got from Stampin Up several years ago. Other than that, it�s all new to me. If I had unlimited space and money, I�d get it all.....but I don�t. I�m loving the glass mat and the resist spray and the oxide inks......yup, I don�t have them yet. I haven�t watched the Sizzix video yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2018, 05:35 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Rachelrose, you may want to go have a look at Crafters Companion USA.
They have a huge number of EF's, and their 'average' size is 5"x7". They also go larger than this, I have a couple of their Textures Embossing Folders, and they are 8"x8".
They have also recently brought out 3D EF's, back last October time, but I don't think they have them in stock on the USA site yet, although they do have the images.
These images were samples I saw at a Craft Fair, which is what prompted
me to buy a few! They've been embossed onto black cardstock, then have rub on wax added.
Gorgeous, Shaz! Is the wax gold or applied after adding color/gold? And what type would I look for?

Crafters Companion Is selling 3D embossing folders on the U.S. site now, but only Christmas/seasonal. Two "regular" ones came in my Gemini Junior bundle,one smaller and one larger, so maybe they'll pop up soon in the shop.

3D Embossing Folders Christmas

I hope the Tim embossing folders fit in the Gemini Junior. If they're a standard size they will.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2018, 08:42 AM   #26  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
You can get the same effect with some photo papers without needing MicroGlaze (a baby wipe worked for me)...but it took me quite a bit of experimenting to find which ones worked! Unfortunately not the one I have copious amounts of.

TLC673 Sunshine Giraffe by Cook22

FF17KelliJo Phoenix from the Ashes by Cook22
Bet that was fun!

Your projects are so gorgeous.

So, wiping off the oxidation. :cool: I'm waiting on my inks to arrive. Hey! Said they would be here today!

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, if you can find them, maybe you can hire...
The A-Team.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2018, 09:01 AM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to ashjoy

I’m really liking the glass craft mat. I’ve always had rubber self healing but might need to try this one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

I've been trying to convince myself I want the glass mat. (Why? :rolleyes Maybe I should swap my plexiglass table top for a tempered glass one, with Tonic's craft mat to the side - the one that doesn't attract dust/pet fur and stays put. Or I'd keep using my Ranger mat which is adhered to a self healing cutting mat. (BTW, you can buy Ranger craft mats by the foot from Joggles.)

Otherwise I'd have the table (duh), the current plexiglass table top, Tim's glass mat, and either a stamping platform or small self-healing cutting mat for acrylic block stamping. Can you say pile-up?

Unlike many stampers, I don't like stamping on a soft surface, probably because I wasn't taught that way, but wouldn't want to stamp directly on glass.

His point about the glass mat being higher than the table so supplies wouldn't creep in was cute, as were the 1" squares, but those aren't considerations.
Sometimes it's hard to separate the Tim factor from the need factor.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2018, 01:41 PM   #29  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by thepapercraftessView Post
I just watched a youtube video from "Scrap Time" showing Tim Holtz introduce his new releases from Sizzix
all I can say is wow wow wow
there's so much to love!
gotta get those flower dies!
to view just search youtube "creativation 2018!"
he has some other videos too
Snow village? No

Impresslits? Definitely!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2018, 01:48 PM   #30  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashjoyView Post
I’m really liking the glass craft mat. I’ve always had rubber self healing but might need to try this one.
Loving the glass craft mat, too. And that "ruler".

I just use my desk surface and I do have a large white craft mat I purchased from Studio Calico that I use for mixed media / messy stuff.

But yeah...

The A-Team.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2018, 01:54 PM   #31  
Glitter Guru

I've been using my WRMK glass mat that I bought for my Fuse tool. Works great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2018, 01:59 PM   #32  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

I agree, I wonder what it will do to just regular water colors?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2018, 02:03 PM   #33  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

I've been trying to convince myself I want the glass mat. (Why? :rolleyes Maybe I should swap my plexiglass table top for a tempered glass one, with Tonic's craft mat to the side - the one that doesn't attract dust/pet fur and stays put. Or I'd keep using my Ranger mat which is adhered to a self healing cutting mat. (BTW, you can buy Ranger craft mats by the foot from Joggles.)

Otherwise I'd have the table (duh), the current plexiglass table top, Tim's glass mat, and either a stamping platform or small self-healing cutting mat for acrylic block stamping. Can you say pile-up?

Unlike many stampers, I don't like stamping on a soft surface, probably because I wasn't taught that way, but wouldn't want to stamp directly on glass.

His point about the glass mat being higher than the table so supplies wouldn't creep in was cute, as were the 1" squares, but those aren't considerations.
Sometimes it's hard to separate the Tim factor from the need factor.
Lol. You are right! But for me I sold everything when I moved. I�m having my studio custom made, hopefully soon. Another contractucoming to talk to me this weekend. So I�ll get to decide what I need at each of my 4 work stations. I wonder how long before I start piling up!?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2018, 06:48 PM   #34  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Loving the glass craft mat, too. And that "ruler".

I just use my desk surface and I do have a large white craft mat I purchased from Studio Calico that I use for mixed media / messy stuff.

But yeah...
The ruler pushed me over. My T-square has never been that satisfactory, kind of slips around, etc. I like the way this ruler integrates with the mat. That and the less harsh edge blending that TH demoed. Since I don’t already have a glass mat this seemed like a good choice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2018, 10:13 PM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Re the new glass craft mat, I have always used a large piece of glass as my work surface with a black gridded cutting mat underneath as a guide. It's not as fancy as the new glass mat, but it does the job. That being said, Tim's new mat is pretty cool with all the extras (including that ruler) and I will take a serious look at it. I'm very interested in some of the new dies and embossing folders. Watching the Creativation videos, Tim is just so charming; now I'm trying to figure out a way to justify re-purchasing all my TH tools in the new color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2018, 04:00 AM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

Yes. They could have renamed CHA Justification instead of Creativation.

We're using my red pokey tool to pierce very hard Omega 3 gel caps. (The oil is dribbled onto our very senior cats' food.) Our vet had suggested using a safety pin, but that hurt my hand. So I get to buy a black pokey tool for die cutting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2018, 04:54 AM   #37  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashjoyView Post
I agree, I wonder what it will do to just regular water colors?
It doesn't intensify colour on regular watercolour, it should be barely noticeable apart from the fact that it creates a waterproof layer over them. The big transformation with the DOX inks occurs because it removes the oxidised effect and prevents it from recurring.

I admit to being somewhat tempted by the mat, especially on account of the ruler. But my work desk is also my computer desk, so I have to take that into consideration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2018, 05:11 AM   #38  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Yes. They could have renamed CHA Justification instead of Creativation.

We're using my red pokey tool to pierce very hard Omega 3 gel caps. (The oil is dribbled onto our very senior cats' food.) Our vet had suggested using a safety pin, but that hurt my hand. So I get to buy a black pokey tool for die cutting.
Ha ha! I needed a good laugh this morning, Beth. So true. Even Tim more than hints at this when he talks about how he's no different than we are, that he buys stuff because it's so cute or he just has to have it and then he figures out what to do with it.

My red pokey tool is peeling. But I will not replace it until it is broken (which could easily be arranged - oops).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2018, 09:24 AM   #39  
Kookie Creator

Does anyone know when the cutters will be available? I am interested in the one that cuts 12 x12 inch paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2018, 10:54 AM   #40  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Ha ha! I needed a good laugh this morning, Beth. So true. Even Tim more than hints at this when he talks about how he's no different than we are, that he buys stuff because it's so cute or he just has to have it and then he figures out what to do with it.

My red pokey tool is peeling. But I will not replace it until it is broken (which could easily be arranged - oops).
Ha!

His shtick about a keychain stamping platform with aspirin sized magnets being next (complete with hand motions as if putting it in his pants pocket) said it all for me. I keep imagining it. Why not? It would go with the Sidekick.

He's a dangerous person.

ETA Imagining a doll house with a crafting room with working everything.
Reply With Quote Likes