Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-10-2018, 11:19 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you do with cards?

Hi everyone! It's been a while since I have posted here!

What do you all do with hand made cards you have received?

I have been saving them, and boy do I have a huge box FULL of cards. I don't have room to keep saving them all, so I am curious about what others do with their cards.

Thanks!
Laurie's Cards & Ramblings
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2018, 11:28 AM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

I do what you do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2018, 11:39 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I cut the backs off, remount them on a new card base, and give them to my SIL. They have a new life, she loves them and shares them with her friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think putting them on a new base is a great idea. If the ones I make and send out were used again in that way I would be very pleased. This would be a great way to recycle them and maybe donate them to a nursing home or other charity too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I rotate cards using this IKEA piece. It has a piece of plastic that snaps into the back that provides a little stiffness that I almost threw away by mistake! http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00329035/

And I have this set of picture ledges. I used to have cute ledges from IKEA, but the front lip hid too much of some cards or other objects I put on them. These are very simple and have the lowest lip I could find: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I put a couple here or there on a book case on top of a stack of books, on a unit over my computer desk, or on my 2x4 horizontal Expedit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I donate a lot of what I make to an adult oncology unit in a Michigan hospital. The staff uses them to cheer up/welcome/congratulations you finished your treatment/hang in there for patients (no get well soon), sympathy/thank you to patients or family members. I make a few that are used to acknowledge staff who have gone above and beyond. There are some (the unit manager is a family member) that are funny/sarcastic/a bit naughty to give to staff members who are having a bad day, need an attitude adjustment or just need a laugh. The stress on that unit is tremendous and sometimes they just need a little perspective/laughter/a smile. I actually do this in honor of a SplitCoast friend who passed away and the spouse of another SCS member so I am the one who is benefitting the most, believe me. I miss her and feel a bit closer when I send a box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2018, 12:11 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I forgot that I had this saved. The photos show a couple different ways to use it. It's pretty big though. If I had a big block of wall I'd use it for something else. Amazon.com - Umbra Hangit Photo Display - DIY Picture Frames Collage Set Includes Picture Hanging Wire Twine Cords, Natural Wood Wall Mounts and Clothespin Clips for Hanging Photos, Prints and Artwork (Mint) -

I love the idea of donating them when there are too many.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

Like arlenevita, I cut the back off and remount to a new card base.

I sometimes resend the cards.

I also save some to take to a stamping retreat we do every year - I put the cards out so my friends can help themselves We always have a "FREE" table where everything is up for grabs!

www.sdscrapinn.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For those who remount, how do you acknowledge the card creator?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2018, 06:10 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If someone makes me a card, I can’t bring myself to reuse or repurpose. I keep them in a drawer and once I awhile look through them and even get inspired for creating. I just can’t give them away... so I have the same problem as you and no solution haha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2018, 04:02 AM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,380 Likes on 514 Posts

Handmade or not, I keep only those cards that are deeply meaningful over the long-term to me. Every card I receive is special to me in the short-term, but there are some that I know I will treasure the handwritten words forever. Those are the ones I keep. The rest I eventually toss. The ones I keep are tucked away in various spots around our home - in binders on bookshelves, in our sideboard, in a drawer, etc. I like unexpectedly finding them now and again because it gives me the same feeling of surprised delight and warm fuzzies I got when I first received them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2018, 05:12 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I remount them or otherwise repurpose the focal point. Then about once a year I send them down to my cousin in a flat rate postal box. She bundles the cards, usually by theme, from various crafters that she knows, into bags that she sells for about $20 as a fundraiser for Relay for Life. Last year she raised $800 for this charity by doing this. For the ones that I remount, I use a generic "Handcrafted" stamp on the back, instead of the stamp that has my name, to signal that I did not personally make it. I like to think the remounted cards did someone good three times -- once when I received and treasured it, once when they are bundled for charity fundraising, and once when sent to a new recipient. So much better than just sitting in a pile in my craft room getting old and dusty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2018, 05:41 AM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

I keep some just because they are so great. Other are re-used. Sometimes just the image sometimes the embellishments or the papers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2018, 08:43 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I have a small cork board in my crafting area. I keep it pinned full of cards I have received. I try not to keep more than I can keep on the board! I don’t expect other people to keep my cards forever (although it would be nice if they displayed them for at least a week!) so I don’t hold myself to a higher standard either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2018, 11:25 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Default What to do with received cards.

I always use an insert in my sent cards with a note to remove the insert add a new one with their sentiment etc, and use the card again ! Seems to be a hit. I even got one of my own cards back !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

I never get home made cards, I make and send but people just don't send even Christmas Cards. I sent out 55 home made fancy fold one's and get 20 store bought cards that aren't even as nice as they use to be years ago. Sad to say it is one of those dying traditions when you can say thanks on facebook.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

I'm so sorry Ev65Roses. It would be my pleasure to send you one if you'll PM me.
We do the same thing (send out handmade cards) and I got 3 store bought cards in return. All I can say is that I enjoyed the making/sending of each card so no expectations. I agree it's easier to use the internet and there are some creative things online but there's nothing like receiving a handmade one !!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

I don't mean to whine, our culture is changing with social media. Doesn't cost you time or money when you post a gif or JPG with the sentiment. I am 65 brought up in a Catholic school with writing letters, addresses to perfection on an envelope and in 20 years everything will be done internet online and no need for a post office except for sending packages. I may not live to see it but it is coming... Thank you for your offer sewChrisd for sending me a homemade card that means a lot but you don't have too. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2018, 11:48 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't keep them all. So I write note inside and send on to non paper crafty friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2018, 05:24 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
If I know the name I write the first name and first letter of the last name on the back of the card. Besides giving cards to my SIL some go to the troops and I would feel weird putting a full name without the person's permission.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2018, 05:10 AM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Right now I save them. I dont know a lot of stampers so I dont have drawerfuls (yet).

I am a little confused...why people would expect to get HM cards back-unless you are saying that is happening with carders?

Unfortunately...times are tight for a lot of people...and cards are one of those things that go by the wayside. :( Though I would be thrilled to get just a note on ruled paper myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2018, 07:14 AM   #22  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fell the same way you do, Ev65roses. I make all my cards during the year but it especially bothers me at Christmas, when so many people have stopped sending for whatever mostly poor reasons or you get the really unattractive ones. Even then, I am grateful to just be getting a card. When I used to buy them, I would take so much time to pick out my very favorite and pricey cards and then hope they were still there after Christmas. Sometimes I couldn't take the chance of waiting that long. Selecting my cards was such fun for me and they were truly beautiful. I still have one of each card I bought in the last 50 years because I couldn't part with them. The last few years, I would dip into that group if I desperately needed one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2018, 07:56 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

I can't keep them all and I hate the thought of tossing them into recycling so I cut the fronts off and remount them on fresh cardbases. I put them in a box with a note on the box saying they were made by various cardmaking friends and sell them at my annual fundraiser every November for charity. My own cards are clearly identified as mine, and the remounted ones are separate so everyone knows they are not my creations.

I like Arlene's idea of writing the maker's first name and initial on the back.

I think my friends who made the cards would be happy to know that their cards were reused to raise some money for charity.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2018, 08:50 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
I have a stamp that says Made for you by ........... and I put both of our names.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2018, 10:30 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

I have a bin called "parts & pieces" in my craft room where I put used cards. Sometimes as a challenge, I use things out of this box and see how I can incorporate it into a new card. I may use an entire front, or I may use just part of it, or maybe an embellishment that I liked.

Also, I tell all of my friends that if they get one of my handmade cards, they can give it back to me when they are finished and I will make it into a new card that will go to charity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2018, 03:07 AM   #26  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

jennibellie greeting card journal - YouTube

This link takes you to a bunch of videos of journals and display books that others have made out of received cards. I have this on my To-Do for 2018, so I'll be looking definitely at jennybellie's and ephemera garden' videos, plus a few others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2018, 06:20 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I display them for the duration of the holiday/occasion on the mantle or sideboard. After that the handmade ones (I'm so lucky to get many) are put on new bases and either given to my big sister who loves them and sends them out. She knows what it takes to make a beautiful card and is very appreciative to have a stash on hand when she needs one. Some that I get in swaps or make in a group situation, are given to a nursing home, hospice or for a gift basket for a charity auction. I belong to a very active stamp club, so there are always places for them. I do save a few that are extremely meaningful or for inspiration in my own card making.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2018, 06:42 PM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I have NO crafty friends, so the only handmade cards I get are Birthday RAK. If that sender thoughtfully put a posty note inside with her message to me, then I can recycle her card, passing it on to someone in a nursing home for them to send with their own message inside.
I do get some lovely store-bought cards from friends, and especially my daughter. I have a magnetic board in my craft room for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

Glad to see this started. I'll save my hand-made cards for maybe a year, then go thru them and recycle what I can. sometimes I'll cut off the back and remount and sometimes will recycle the whole thing. These as well as the ones I start from scratch, I'll put a note inside that I haven't signed my name and please resend them.
Reply With Quote Likes