Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-03-2018, 01:38 AM   #1  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Location: In the '82 Los Angeles underground, looking to hire...The A-Team.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the Pocket Page Challenge?

Welcome to the wonderful world of pocket pages!

What is a pocket page? A pocket page is a page protector divided into pockets of various sizes. They come in many sizes and configurations. A simple google search for �pocket page protector designs� will yield a plethora of options. Popular sizes include 12 x 12, 6 x 8 and 4 x 4. There is also 8.5 x 11.

Why use pocket pages? Pocket pages became popular with Becky Higgins� Project Life � documenting daily life one week at a time, using 12 x 12 pocket pages. Today, pocket pages are used for mini albums (trips, occasions, Ali Edwards December Daily), themed projects (AE�s One Little Word, Cathy Zeilske 30 Days of Thanks, AE�s Day in the Life) or documenting daily life (BH Project Life). You don�t have to create a dedicated pocket page album � how about sprinkling a few pocket pages in with your regular pages or your planner?

What is the Pocket Page Challenge? The pocket page challenges are designed to motivate and encourage you in creating your pocket pages. Challenges will cover topics such as sketches, tips, techniques, photo prompts and journaling prompts.

Do I need special supplies and albums? Typical supplies are an album and pocket pages in the size and configuration of your choosing plus, journaling / filler cards (4 x 6 and 3 x 4 are typical sizes). HOWEVER, you can do pocket page style scrapping on a 12 x 12 sheet of cardstock (think sketch) with the scrapping supplies you have on hand! You can also include these pages or mix pocket pages in with your existing albums. The journaling / filler cards are typically available in kits with accessories or with just the cards. You can even create your own journaling and filler cards using stamps and ink you already own.

So, when do we start? Challenges will be posted on the first and third Wednesday of each month in the Life in Pockets sub-forum of the Scrapbooking Challenge Forum. (Splitcoast Challenges // Scrapbooking //Life in Pockets)

Where do I post my projects in the gallery? We do not have a dedicated pocket page (or a 6 x 8 page size) gallery at this time. Upload to your member gallery (default) and use keywords (see next Q & A). If your page is 12 x 12, you can upload to the 12 x 12 scrapbook gallery. Once we have reached a certain number of pocket pages uploaded to the gallery, we will put in a request for one or two dedicated galleries.

What are the keywords for posting to the gallery? Challenge keywords will follow the format PKP000 - where 000 is the challenge number. Monthly pocket page galleries will follow the format Pocket18Jan - where 18 is the year and Jan is the current month. PKP will bring up the entire pocket page gallery (once we begin using the keyword). Older pocket pages can be brought up with the keyword pocket or Pocket Page.

I have a question. If you have any questions, just post below.

Again, welcome to the wonderful world of pocket pages!

Never give up, just practice, stay positive and have fun!

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, if you can find them, maybe you can hire...
The A-Team.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 04:35 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Host
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,301 Likes on 936 Posts

Yay...Melissa you are back. Happy New Year and thank you for this challenge. I'm excited at joining in with this and also all of the other challenges...loving them. Thank you. Happy day
Monthly: MMJ Challenge….
get inky and have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 10:24 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 893 Likes on 566 Posts

I joined Ali's One little Word this year. Very new to pocket pages. I did the course material for January but found it was missing some stuff I wanted so using PSE I recoloured or created what I wanted. Just finished when I saw the new thread.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 12:50 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

Received 1,411 Likes on 707 Posts

Wonderful sounding!
Old 01-03-2018, 12:52 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 121 Posts

subbing I'll be back, I promise :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 03:32 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,976 Likes on 1,492 Posts

Great explanation, Melissa. I will use as you suggested like a sketch on my 12x12 pages!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 05:47 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Pocket page Scrapping has been around long before Project Life. They were 12x12. As soon as I can get to that shelf, I'll pull them out and share. I got them probably 10-12 years ago when I worked at Michaels. I can see the company emblem in my head but not make out the name LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 06:48 PM   #8  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Talking Yay!

I'm so excited to play along with this challenge! GREAT Explanation Melissa. I'm off to check out the first challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 10:07 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrappinCEOView Post
Pocket page Scrapping has been around long before Project Life. They were 12x12. As soon as I can get to that shelf, I'll pull them out and share. I got them probably 10-12 years ago when I worked at Michaels. I can see the company emblem in my head but not make out the name LOL

I used to make simple pockets on my 12x12 pages and also have a book on how to make amazing flip/fold pockets and all sorts of crazy hidden journalling items but never got around to actually doing any. Is this the same sort of thing?

I also have a very small book I made at an "Off the Page Workshop" many many years ago with small pockets to hold photos or journalling. This was pretty easy to do simply by scoring.

I came across the Heartfelt Creation flip/fold pockets that you can purchase in November and love them and shall try and make my own.

Would love to hear more about what you mention. Happy day
get inky and have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2018, 09:33 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am using the Ali Edwards 6x8 one little word binder with the divided page protectors for my pocket pages. see image below

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2018, 12:28 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

So would the 12x12 pocket pages be too big for these prompts?? Just been thinking about this. I do have some of the Ali Edwards 6x8 pages!
Old 01-04-2018, 01:03 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just reread the first post... It says 12x12 is a popular size. I just went with the supplies available on the Ali Edwards site.

I used to do 12x 12 but found my son lives more in a digital world. So I gave away all my supplies to the local school and went digital last year. Now I create 8.5 x11 pages in PSE. .. I email them to him.. if he wants I print a copy for him which he can put in a frame I bought him. His girlfriend likes those little photos, she has her own little album that works for her. She is a great person and gives me some of the little pictures so I can make a collage for my son's album

Last edited by FMcrafter; 01-04-2018 at 01:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2018, 01:43 PM   #13  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvtostampstampstampView Post
So would the 12x12 pocket pages be too big for these prompts?? Just been thinking about this. I do have some of the Ali Edwards 6x8 pages!
No - use any size you want to use. For any project you wish to apply the pocket page challenges.

These pocket page challenges are not project specific - other than pocket page scrapping. So use the prompts for Project Life, OLW, etc. If desired, those that do not "do" pocket page scrapping can apply these (when applicable) to regular non-pocket page scrapping.

I am using the pocket page challenges in my 12 x 12 project life.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, if you can find them, maybe you can hire...
The A-Team.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2018, 05:18 PM   #14  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Talking Fun!

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMcrafterView Post
I am using the Ali Edwards 6x8 one little word binder with the divided page protectors for my pocket pages. see image below

I used this size for the December Daily Album I did. It worked great for that too.

For "regular" scrapping though I use 12x12 but would do this size again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2018, 05:59 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Melissa, I understand what you've written in the first post; however, would it be possible to use a photo album that was made for 4x6 pics that have 3 on a page? I was emptying these when I did some of my scrap books and was thinking about reusing them. I think chronicling a week at a time per page might be a good way to fill them up. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2018, 07:26 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow..that sounds like a great idea to me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2018, 01:59 AM   #17  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Quote:

Originally Posted by eeddmmView Post
Melissa, I understand what you've written in the first post; however, would it be possible to use a photo album that was made for 4x6 pics that have 3 on a page? I was emptying these when I did some of my scrap books and was thinking about reusing them. I think chronicling a week at a time per page might be a good way to fill them up. What do you think?
Hi Terry!

I think that's a great idea!

I have some of those same albums (3 - 4 x 6 pocket slots per page) and there are journaling boxes off the side in the ones I have. It would be similar to using a bound journal to document. You can add flip pockets and fold outs.

Y'all could even use one of the 4 x 6 small bound photo albums - and there are also 4 x 6 ring albums with full size page protectors (4 x 6) & divided page protectors (2 - 3 x 4).

So any type pocket or size!

The A-Team.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2018, 06:17 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Okay now my head hurts with the possibilities!

Not really, but definitely swimming. I've added this to my challenge planner and have some ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2018, 07:24 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

It's been so cold here, we haven't gone anywhere this week, so no gas price/place documenting yet!
Old 01-06-2018, 08:56 AM   #20  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Avoid overthinking this. Easier said than done. :rolleyes: Because I remember the year I considered doing Project Life (PL) in a 6 x 8 vs a 12 x 12 album. The "debate" within was storage place and work area (canvas); and maybe time to try something different?

In the end, I did not do the 6 x 8. I stayed with the 12 x 12. But the time spent debating it - I guess it was worth it - as I realized that I did like the 12 x 12 format. While 6 x 8 stores easier - man, it's a much smaller canvas for documenting Project Life. I'm not doing this (PL) to store it on a shelf or for someone else - I'm doing this for me to enjoy. And if someone else enjoys it - YAY!

I scrap 12 x 12 and the only time I use 6 x 8 is basically all the Ali Edwards inspired projects (December Daily, for example). I use 8.5 x 11 for recipes. I did 30 days of thanks in a 4 x 4 album one year and in a 4 x 6 album another year. I don't vary from that combo and I'm not bored with it. I'm creating a 6 x 8 album for my niece - I chose that size because it stores easy. Now my son has 12 x 12 albums. :mrgreen: Then again, when he gets those albums, he'll get a bookshelf that will hold them.

Consider the pros and cons of each option - and do what works for you. In the end, the deciding factor in staying with 12 x 12 for PL was the canvas. I just cannot imagine going smaller! And if I have a photo short week, I can scrap a regular page and include it in the PL album. I do have one year that is pocket pages and 12 x 12 pages. I had supplies for both options - 6 x 8 or 12 x 12. I would not have had to buy either way.

Whatever works for you. It is good to explore possibilities, just don't let them overwhelm you. Go with your first impression. Not all albums you create have to be the same size - I know folks that have December Daily in a different size every year! And I do have a 4 x 6 December Daily. :lol: But that was one of the early years.

The A-Team.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2018, 08:57 AM   #21  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Quote:

It's been so cold here, we haven't gone anywhere this week, so no gas price/place documenting yet!
I have my gas / mileage documented. I just need a selfie.

The A-Team.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #22  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Quote:

Not really, but definitely swimming. I've added this to my challenge planner and have some ideas.
It's very motivational and fun!

The A-Team.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Found 'em!
They are called Qwikit by Provo Craft.

Pictures aren't the best but here's the 12x12 package I have:

I also found a link on eBay when I did a google search
Provo Craft Qwikit 12x12 Scrapbooking Pocket Pages 8820 | eBay
Attached Thumbnails
What is the Pocket Page Challenge?-qwikit-front.jpg   What is the Pocket Page Challenge?-qwikit.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2018, 07:48 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LmnView Post
I used this size for the December Daily Album I did. It worked great for that too.

For "regular" scrapping though I use 12x12 but would do this size again

Having watched Ali Edwards December Daily videos I love the size and concept but really don't want to have to go out and purchase something else...I'm trying hard to be good this year ;)

I am thinking I will either do 12 x 12 LOs and just include some Project Life pages in between as I really need to start using them. Alternatively I've found a couple of small albums I bought in the sale years ago and had forgotten about. They are post bound and not ideal but I may use them and just make my own pockets or cut down some of my 12 x 12 Project Life ones and somehow make them fit. Decisions, decisions...my procrastination out again. I like to have the right "fit" from the start so my OCD side is really finding this tricky to cope with LOL ;)

I did jot down some ideas in my planner yesterday and think I need to have 2 albums going....one for specific people or trips (poppets, travel), and another one that will be just about things that make me smile each month and by year, sort of a Year in Review Album.

For trips and everyday life pages I really would like ring binder albums and do in the December Daily style so I'm about to head up into my craft room and see if I can find something that will do the job. There may be some overlap but I would like to keep our travel albums separate from everyday life stuff.

I also want to do an album for the poppets from birth and just keep adding to it each year. Eventually my DIL will end up with this one....maybe not, as she keeps telling me they don't need more stuff in their home LOL, plus she makes digital books. Oh well, the poppets may want them as they get older. I also need to get cracking on these before anymore grandies come along ;)

Happy Sunday.
get inky and have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2018, 07:51 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

LOL...I think maybe you and I should just begin....LOL as I jot down heaps in my journal and still can't decide. I'm hopeless and overthink everything LOL.

I should also read down all of the comments before I jump in and throw my disorganised life into the ring LOL. I've just read Melissa's comment on PL and albums and it all makes sense.

Happy Sunday
get inky and have fun

Last edited by Ozpom; 01-06-2018 at 08:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2018, 07:56 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Me neither as I'm rarely going out but will take photos tomorrow as I thought it would be interesting to share Aussie stuff with you all and so you can see the difference in things.

I took a photo of my very messy wardrobe this morning showing my shoe boxes lined up, and shoes thrown in baskets, slippers, ugg boots..and ideally would like to take them all out but I can't kneel down to get them all and I daren't ask hubby to help LOL. It will keep for another day.

One of my goals this year is to tidy up my side of our wardrobe and declutter so the photo shows how neat my hubby's side is. Most of my clothes and more shoes are hidden behind the door and I daren't show you ladies that one LOL. Maybe when I get around to finally sorting it all out I may do a before and after shot...mmmmm!!

Have fun and happy Sunday. Keep warm.
get inky and have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2018, 01:45 AM   #27  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Quote:

Found 'em!
They are called Qwikit by Provo Craft.

Pictures aren't the best but here's the 12x12 package I have:

I also found a link on eBay when I did a google search
Provo Craft Qwikit 12x12 Scrapbooking Pocket Pages 8820 | eBay
:cool:

First I'd ever heard of pocket pages was when it became popular with Becky Higgins Project Life. And when that started, she only hand a handful of pocket page configurations. I still like the Design A as my go-to.

I do see the configurations on the packaging in your second photo.

The A-Team.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2018, 02:00 AM   #28  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Quote:

Originally Posted by OzpomView Post
LOL...I think maybe you and I should just begin....LOL as I jot down heaps in my journal and still can't decide. I'm hopeless and overthink everything LOL.

I should also read down all of the comments before I jump in and throw my disorganised life into the ring LOL. I've just read Melissa's comment on PL and albums and it all makes sense.

Happy Sunday
I like your idea to just jump in. And I also think mixing the divided pages in with your regular pages to document the year is a good idea. This is what I did this the year I was grappling with what size and whether to even do PL. I wanted to scrap, but I kind of wanted to document everyday, too. So I did both - if I wanted to scrap a photo, I did. If I wanted to document the everyday with a divided page protector, I did. I like the result.

It would give you a chance to explore pocket pages and you'd still have the 12 x 12 pages. And it would be in one album using supplies you already have.

Also, if I came up short with photos for a week - no worries - I just scrapped a photo from the week or from the month. Pretty sure there were some weekly gaps in there! And a month or two there was only a 12 x 12 page. We don't have to document every. single. thing. I think a mix is a great idea - people don't have time to sit and read every single detail about our lives. Not even our kids. We don't have to write a book.

Good luck with whatever you decide. And I totally understand about the OCD / commitment issue. And I do think, just jump in where you are with what you have and just do it.

I'll be cheering you on whatever you decide.

The A-Team.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

I need to jump into developing photos again for this... LOL! I rarely develop photos! I hope my local Walmart can do a decent job!

I'll have to develop a system of getting my photos taken and ordered for my weekly night out pick up.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:02 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I need to jump into developing photos again for this... LOL! I rarely develop photos! I hope my local Walmart can do a decent job!

I'll have to develop a system of getting my photos taken and ordered for my weekly night out pick up.
I've never been happy with our WM.. but that may vary from store to store. I always get mine done through Walgreens. I upload at home and can pick a time to pick up in store or they will ship to my house. They also offer discount codes periodically for as low as .09 per print on batches of 100
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2018, 09:00 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

Stopping in with my thoughts on who to buy prints from - Never had good results from Walmart. Good results from SOME Walgreens (make a test upload to one and see how those photos turn out). Always great from CVS but rarely have sales. Always excellent from Snapfish and Shutterfly - just have to wait for them to be delivered.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2018, 12:56 PM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnniePandaView Post
Stopping in with my thoughts on who to buy prints from - Never had good results from Walmart. Good results from SOME Walgreens (make a test upload to one and see how those photos turn out). Always great from CVS but rarely have sales. Always excellent from Snapfish and Shutterfly - just have to wait for them to be delivered.
I agree on all points! My favorite online place is Persnickety Prints but their shipping is steep for just a few prints now and then. It's $5 flat rate which is great when I have a big order, but no so much for little orders. So thus I'm spoiled and most other places don't measure up. But I figure for this project, I don't need grade A quality...just get it documented and enjoy!!
Old 01-15-2018, 12:57 PM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

Quote:

I've never been happy with our WM.. but that may vary from store to store. I always get mine done through Walgreens. I upload at home and can pick a time to pick up in store or they will ship to my house. They also offer discount codes periodically for as low as .09 per print on batches of 100
I just don't like glossy and their 1 hr is always glossy.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:07 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok.. my prompt is to create a vision board and I just don't get it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2018, 05:33 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

so...I went a different route! LOL

I created a divider page for my One Little word album

Hogs Rule! by FMcrafter - at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2018, 02:29 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Happy Friday everyone....I completed a pocket page yesterday which really doesn't meet any of the challenges but have put it towards my May scrapping goal. Thought I would share it here too. I'm about to start the opposite side of this which will meet one of the PP challenges.

Have fun.

Aussie Day Oi Oi Oi by Ozpom - at Splitcoaststampers
get inky and have fun
Reply With Quote Likes