Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-30-2017, 11:08 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Calling Copic users

I am in need of some guidance. I have several Copics, some were given to me and some I bought. I am looking to add to my collection .. maybe 8-10 markers.

I have been over SO many blogs and tutorials and threads recommending starter colors. A lot of them say to use colors that are close together... such as R20, R21 & R22. Others say to skip one number such as RV21, RV23 & RV25. Which is better? I know a lot depends on personal preference.. I get that. But is one way better/more preferred than the other? Or does it also depend on colors?

Thank you for any and ALL input! <3
{Jeremiah 29:11}
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2017, 04:43 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in no way near an expert but I do skip numbers and do not seem to have any trouble with getting good blends. This one is done with R20-R24-R29

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2017, 05:40 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I recommend skipping numbers too. Sometimes the ones in sequence feel so close, and if you only have a few markers, I’d go for a little more variety and just layer to build more shade variation when you need it.

Suzanne, those roses are gorgeous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2017, 06:22 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

The absolute best advice I can give is the check out Sandy Allnock's blog and videos on YouTube. She also has a Copic Hex chart available for sale ($6, I think) that shows you all of the colors in a way that lets you compare them but also see at a glance which ones work well together. It's an excellent resource because some colors are so close that you can really save more money by knowing which ones NOT to buy, despite the number on it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2017, 06:51 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

SKIP to my lou my darlin'. Usually. Sometimes even two or three. A couple of Copic pdf charts can be really helpful, though colors on line or printed aren't necessarily accurate, but you can tell what's close:

https://imaginationinternationalinc....wheel_2014.pdf

https://imaginationinternationalinc....chart_2014.pdf

They also have a blank one; here are all their downloadable resources: Downloadable Resources | Copic

And Sandy Allnock's, like Adriana mentioned: https://sandyallnock.com/product/hex-chart/

Last edited by bjeans; 12-31-2017 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: SCS doesn't love Chrome (spacing)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2017, 07:20 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Copic Blending Groups ? Sandy Allnock This is a great Chart for beginning colors. She also has a Chart for skin tones for the Human Rainbow.

HIGHLY recommend that you check out Sandy Allnock's blog and buy her Hex Chart to download (it costs $6, I think) because it has a colored chart and one to print on you own cardstock to color in as you buy your markers. The colored Chart shows you how close some of the colors are so you can buy the colors you prefer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2018, 12:13 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

You can blend with just one marker...so absolutely you can skip, skip, skip. This video shows how to blend with one marker, multiple colors and blending on plastic or nib to nib. When I started collecting, I skiped several numbers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2018, 12:20 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

thebiscuitscraps* is so right! I took a Copic workshop at an LSS and the first card we made we darkened a color (blue) by using the same marker over itself.

*must be a good story behind your neat name : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2018, 03:44 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you all so very much! I've been all over Sandy's site and could not find that page.. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong. Does she use more than one site/blog? Anywho, thanks for that link Arlene!! I have managed to find a few other beginner lists.. one on a website I thought was called Flourishes, only now I can't even find it. ugh.

Anyway, thank you all for your input. I haven't ordered yet. I think I may do that tonight. I think I will skip some colors and see what I can do with them and if I need to fill in later, I always can. I need to go through and see what I have very little or none of.. because I know I don't have colors from every color family yet.
{Jeremiah 29:11}
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2018, 04:53 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Just happened on this post that might be helpful too, just for info's sake -

Copic Markers: How To Pick Colors That Blend Easily
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2018, 06:35 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Using the same color marker over itself doesn't work very well in most cases. It will darken slightly, but not enough to really see a difference. Some colors work better than others when doing this, but it is generally not a very effective way to shade and blend. Some of the Copic colors are so close that you really do need to skip a few to get a good shading/blending effect. Some of the yellows come to mind. I have Sandy Allnock's Hex Chart, and it is really good. It helps you to see what colors blend and coordinate well - some that you wouldn't even think of! I think I paid $5 or $6 for it, but it was worth it. You get a colored-in chart and a blank chart to fill in as you get more colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2018, 06:51 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

The first card we made in my Copics class used one color blue to demonstrate that tone-on-tone could work - and of course to teach us blending. (A bit like using one colored pencil to go darker as in one of Dina's videos.)

My tablemates and I were surprised at the amount of contrast and shading. Of course it wouldn't be your go-to choice, and like you point out, it depends on the color. It was a pretty card, the colored piece on top of two layers, one patterned, plus a base. I wouldn't be ashamed to send it, not that I would since I keep instructional samples plus it's not so much my style. : )

We used Copic's X-Press It Blending Card. While I'm a Neenah Classic Crest junky, I happen to get better results with X-Press It for Copics, and need all the help I can get.

Last edited by bjeans; 01-02-2018 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: Chrome spacing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2018, 09:42 AM   #13  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes, Sandy has mutiple sites. The hex chart pops up on top of her blog but here is the direct link to the page for purchasing the hex chart. For her classes go to art-classes.com. I add my recommendation for her classes to those above, especially her Copic Jumpstart class. I was severely lacking in my art education so I needed help with basic shading and color theory which that class provided, and then some.

Kerry

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamsInPinkView Post
Thank you all so very much! I've been all over Sandy's site and could not find that page.. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong. Does she use more than one site/blog? Anywho, thanks for that link Arlene!! I have managed to find a few other beginner lists.. one on a website I thought was called Flourishes, only now I can't even find it. ugh.

Anyway, thank you all for your input. I haven't ordered yet. I think I may do that tonight. I think I will skip some colors and see what I can do with them and if I need to fill in later, I always can. I need to go through and see what I have very little or none of.. because I know I don't have colors from every color family yet.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes