Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liquid glue vs. tape runner

Which is your favorite to use on cards?

I have always been a tape runner user but after watching a ton of videos lately, I've noticed quite a few people use liquid glue. Guess I've never been a patient type to wait for stuff to dry.

How well does the liquid glue work keeping all the little parts together? Doesn't fall apart after a while?

I make Christmas cards all year long so by the time December rolls around, I'd like the cards to be still intact. I have noticed that once in a while the tape runner will come undone.

So what are your favorite brands/types?

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2017, 11:10 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 648 Likes on 367 Posts

I use Scor-tape....love it. I never have a problem with anything coming apart when using it.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda

Last edited by Benzi; 12-24-2017 at 06:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2017, 11:33 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

I use ATG most of the time because I end up with glue all over my fingers if I use liquid glue. Whe I use liquid glue, I use ScraPrefect Best Glue Ever because of its very fine tip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2017, 12:51 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends on what I'm glueing. If I don't think I can stick something down precisely where I want it (a card front that has to be exactly centered for instance) then I will use a liquid like Tombow to give me some wiggle room. If I am gluing an embellishment down, I'll use matt multi because if some leaks beyond where I want it, it won't dry shiny and look like a mistake. Otherwise either scor-tape or my ATG. Or both at the same time. I have other glues and mediums, but those are the ones I use most. I really find that every glueing situation calls for something appropriate, one size doesn't fit all for me.

I've never had anything I used my ATG on come apart. And I have cards in my stash that have been there for more than a year. Occasionally I'll do a mixed media BG that ends up being stubbornly warped and I'll have to reglue it after I initially put the card together because an edge starts to come up. Matt Multi is what I use then. And then weight the offending edge till dry.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 12-24-2017 at 01:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2017, 01:03 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the tombow mono multi (in the green and white bottle) for gluing most of my paper. Never had a problem with it falling apart. Ever.

I do use scor-tape for some things, but not as my main adhesive. It's really sticky, which is good because it holds well, but it sometimes pulls at my skin, and peeling off the backing is also sometimes a problem for my fingertips (my index finger likes to split, a lot). But scor-tape is GREAT for projects that need a strong hold, like boxes.

I also use Aleene's tacky glue for some things, especially sequins and felt.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2017, 01:41 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I am the same as RachelRose, I use my ATG mostly, but more intricate things and things that I need a bit of wiggle room on I will use liquid glue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2017, 06:20 PM   #7  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
I use the tombow mono multi (in the green and white bottle) for gluing most of my paper. Never had a problem with it falling apart. Ever.
Ditto. Total convert to glue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2017, 08:33 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a new favorite: Distress Collage Medium. I used the "Christmas Words Tree" die by Lil' Inker Designs (Christmas Words Tree Die - Lil' Inker Designs) on my Christmas cards. I dipped just the tip of a flat paintbrush in the medium, swiped it across the back of my die-cuts - after all the trouble I've had with those needle-tipped bottles, thus stuff is AMAZING! It has enough body not to run, but is thin enough to glide on like silk. There aren't many liquid glues I like, but this one I love. It dries to a translucent matte finish. Tim has 3 versions of this out: the above, Antique or Vintage Collage medium and a glazing medium, so make sure you're getting what you want. I can't wait to try the others.

Another liquid glue I like is Beacon's Fabri-Tac; it's like a glue gun in a bottle. I only use this one for 3D items.

My fave dry adhesives are my ATG gun and Scor-Tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2017, 03:57 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I generally prefer tape runner/DST for adding layers. Had problems in the past with glue soaking into cardstock, so tend to avoid it. Also this year had a disaster using silicone glue to attach a stencilled image onto glitter card. I've always done this without a problem, but this particular glitter cardstock leaked colour into the glue, which then soaked through onto the white areas of the cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2017, 06:13 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Like some others, I mostly use my ATG for everything except very small pieces of cardstock. Then I use Tombow Mono Multi.

I've found if you burnish after you attach your pieces with the ATG, it will stick just fine. Sometimes I've seen people on videos just kind of "slap" the cardstock down, and I'll bet it comes loose later.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2017, 09:04 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm a glue person. Either Aileen's or Tombow. I've come to loathe and despite my pink ATG. It doesn't do a good job. I will use Tombow's tape runner or Scotch permanent double sided, but I feel glue is the most secure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2017, 07:52 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I use both depending what I am doing. I have a big box of assorted adhesives but that includes dimensional tapes etc.

Paper to paper like layers-I use scor tape.
Embellishments I use liquid.
I may die cut words/delicate dies on paper I have backed with DS sheets so I just peel and stick.
And on the rare day I still have rhinestones you heat up to stick I need to use up. (with a tool)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2017, 06:10 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 123 Likes on 109 Posts

I've tried a lot of different types of adhesive since I got started in cardmaking 15 years ago.

Each year, I keep one of my own Christmas cards just so I can look back on them. My cards from 2002 and 2003 were assembled with adhesive squares (the kind with the blue backing you have to peel off) and they are still holding strong. Nowadays, I most often use Scotch permanent double-sided tape for adhering layers because it works well (for me, anyway) and it's easy to use. Also, our cat enjoys playing with the plastic core when I've finished a roll. I've used Scor-Tape, too, which also works really well.

I like Tombow Mono Multi because the fine tip is great for getting glue on intricate die cuts when I haven't thought to run the cardstock through my Xyron before cutting. That stuff really sticks. I've used it for adhering layers a few times when I've already been using it for something else on a card, but I normally don't think to use it for that purpose.

I've never had good luck with the tape runners such as the SU Snail adhesive. When I used to go to stamp camps 10-15 years ago I'd use the tape runners provided, and those cards would fall apart within a month after making them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2017, 07:44 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I use Tombow Mono Multi glue for sticking my cardstock/designer paper layers down as it gives me some "wriggle time" to get my layers straight. If any of the glue leaches out, once the glue has somewhat dried, I remove it with one of those Adhesive Erasers which works brillianty. Used to use doublesided tape & tried various brands but I would always get my layers crooked so switched to the Tombow Mono Multi and love it. Never had a card fall apart even way more than a year later.

When I attach sequins, I use Ranger Multi Medium Matte. For attaching buttons or odd-shaped items, I use Crafter's Pick Incredibly Tacky glue & never had a button/item fall off my cards even years later.

For adhering glitter or Fun Flock, I use Tombow Mono Aqua which I normally squirt on a scrap of cardstock then brush it on with an old brush so I get it exactly where I want it and is a thin layer with no clumps of the glue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 05:52 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I JUST got the BIG PINK ATG for Christmas. I wouldn't go there before & finally gave in. Before I used DBL Sided Scotch Tape, but the ATG was cheaper in the long run. I like just running it along the paper & being done with it, rather than pulling, & ripping & fighting with the tape to get it down.... I do use glue at times. My ALL TIME favorite glue was Scotch Quick-Dry Adhesive, but they took it off the market! It had a FINE tip & dried quickly. Now, I have gone to Scotch Tacky Glue, but the tip isn't as fine & blobs out! :( I do have some Tombo Mono, but haven't even opened the bottle yet. LOL Some things call for tape & somethings call for glue! Mostly for the wet stuff I use Multi-Med. Matte which I have put into a little bottle with a fine tip! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 06:01 AM   #16  

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
My ALL TIME favorite glue was Scotch Quick-Dry Adhesive, but they took it off the market! It had a FINE tip & dried quickly.
WHAT?? I didn't know this! Thankfully I have a bottle or two.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 06:18 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

So many glues...so little time! I too use several, my favs are: Tombow Mono liquid glue (allows positioning time, holds well), UHU stick glue stick (great for collaging), Beacon Fabri-Tac for multi layers or embellishments, works well with watercolor paper which is heavier, Ranger Multi Medium Matte..put in fine tip bottle, works great for everything small and delicate, Elmer's tape runner for scrapbooking mostly, some cards; depends on weight of paper. I have been using for several years, holds photos well and embellishments in scrapbooks.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 06:24 AM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

I use Art Glitter Glue with the fine tip (sold separately), it is easy to control, no sticky fingers, dries matte. I rarely use my tape runner any more. I saw it on a Heartfelt Creations video. Love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 06:36 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use a combination of score tape and liquid glue. Art glitter glue to be exact. (Art Glitter is the company name) It dries clear and DOES NOT remain tacky if any thing gets where it should not be. I had that problem with Tombow. Love this glue and you can buy refill bottles at a much more reasonable price. Goes a long way too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 06:46 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
WHAT?? I didn't know this! Thankfully I have a bottle or two.

Lydia, I used to buy my glue at Walmart & they put it out for sale to get rid of it AGES AGO! Maybe, I am wrong, but I haven't seen it ANYWHERE!!!! :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 07:24 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

ATG gun. Love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 08:22 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 464 Likes on 346 Posts

Amazing how different we all are - what works for one definitely doesn't work for all. I hate the ATG gun and tape runners - just can't use them!

I use Tombow mono multi for gluing down die cuts and Scor-tape (aka Sook-wang tape) for attaching layers.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 09:40 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I use both ATG and liquid glue, depending on the card. The secret with the ATG is to burnish over it (rub it) and it will stay forever then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 11:28 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too use the Tombow Mono Glue for all the above reasons. I use it mainly because of the "wiggle room" it allows you to have when placing a layer on card stock. I started with the ATG gun but after a few years I found that the tape kept going (for lack of a better word) back into itself and I would have to stop and fix it too often. I don't know if it was me or the gun but I eventually lost patience with it and now rarely use it. My all time favorite is the Sook Wang. I love that it comes in different widths and that you can just tear it at any length you need. Excellent hold too...found out the hard way!:( lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 12:07 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone else have a problem with the two-way portion of Tombow? If I apply too much, it oozes out. It stays sticky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 12:12 PM   #26  

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillisView Post
I too use the Tombow Mono Glue for all the above reasons. I use it mainly because of the "wiggle room" it allows you to have when placing a layer on card stock.
Ditto!

Quote:

Excellent hold too...found out the hard way!:( lol

Ditto
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 12:52 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinchicagoView Post
Does anyone else have a problem with the two-way portion of Tombow? If I apply too much, it oozes out. It stays sticky.

I have never used the wider side. It just makes more sense to me, if you want better control to use the smaller end. If you squeeze it tighter you'll get more out if you need it to for like a bigger area. I think I had the same problem as you had which is why I use the small end exclusively.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 01:20 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also use the smaller end. I meant that after the glue dries outside where I wanted it, it remains sticky after it dries. That's the repositionable (removable) aspect of the two way glue. It's too messy for me. Seems I cannot control the amount I use. Perhaps I'm squeezing too tightly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 02:38 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I am almost totally a tape person. I use Scotch double-sided for adhering card stock together. It sticks forever. The "wiggle room" of Tombow Mono is a plus, but I don't like how it tends to leak out under the layers and I hate how it make my fingers so tacky that I have to wash them after each use. The tape goes on, the card stock is down and the process is done. I also use Scotch double-side foam tape as I can cut any size I want. I do use glue for some embellishments, but haven't found a favorite yet, even though I have a drawer full!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2018, 08:10 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My favorite is my ATG gun. I used to use the tape runners from WalMart, but that got very expensive fast with the number of cards I make. On very small places, I use Tombow glue. I do agree it can be difficult when glue gets on my fingers. I keep a damp washcloth handy to wipe my fingers.
I use glue dots to attach most embellishments. I use Scor-Tape with 3/8" being my favorite size. I have all the sizes just in case;)

They all have a time and place.

Kathy's Knook
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2018, 01:43 PM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

p.s. When I do use the Tombow I place the glue about 1/4" to 1/2" away from the edges. This way it doesn't seep out and with a bone folder I run it over the sheet I just laid down. If I have used an Embossing folder I don't use the bone folder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2018, 06:40 PM   #32  
Glitter Queen

Default Rubber Cement

I still use Elmer's rubber cement as my paper glue and Scor Tape. I have bought Sook wang but also a cheaper version by Angel Crafts. Both work but peeling the two pieces apart is so burdensome. I hate all tape guns.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2018, 06:56 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaOKCView Post
I still use Elmer's rubber cement as my paper glue and Scor Tape. I have bought Sook wang but also a cheaper version by Angel Crafts. Both work but peeling the two pieces apart is so burdensome. I hate all tape guns.
I really like using Elmer's Rubber cement for some things. Do you find that paper adhered with it dries up, yellows and falls off? I have some technique books I made using it and the pieces are all starting to fall off. I have begun to reapply them, but I don't want this to be a project I have to redo every few years because I have quite a large "library" of them. Am I doing something wrong or is it the dry climate I live in? Or is the stuff just not permanent?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2018, 06:47 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have many different glues including ATG, double sided tape, Aleen's Fast Tac, Ranger's Multi Matte, some brush on and Tombow Multi Bond. I use the ATG for the larger square or rectangle pieces and the Multi Matte for tiny pieces. The only problem I see with that is it tends to dry in the fine point and I really have to work to get it out in little dots. The Fast Tac works well on thick paper. I use to use the Tombow Multi Bond but I hated the way it would turn yellow after it dried if a little bit seeped out and it was shiny. I am very nit picky when it comes to adhering things. I must have the entire edges glued down! I just ordered some of the Tim Holtz Nuvo glue (as if I really need more). I am hoping that it will help fill in the glue gaps! 😉
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2018, 07:49 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
I really like using Elmer's Rubber cement for some things. Do you find that paper adhered with it dries up, yellows and falls off? I have some technique books I made using it and the pieces are all starting to fall off. I have begun to reapply them, but I don't want this to be a project I have to redo every few years because I have quite a large "library" of them. Am I doing something wrong or is it the dry climate I live in? Or is the stuff just not permanent?
Arizona crafters do have some unique challenges, don't we? I find I can't buy a large quantity of envelopes too far out, the glue on the back just disintegrates. And that's from being stored inside my condo, not in the heat of the garage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2018, 07:58 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertdebView Post
Arizona crafters do have some unique challenges, don't we? I find I can't buy a large quantity of envelopes too far out, the glue on the back just disintegrates. And that's from being stored inside my condo, not in the heat of the garage.
So is it the dryness, then? I came from the Oregon high desert (which, believe it or not is even dryer than where I am in AZ) and it happened there, too, so dryness makes sense. Guess I had better find a different glue for this project. Mine are stored in the house, as well, on a shelf in my stamping room. Any suggestions other than the Tombow Mono? I really dislike that stuff. I hate sticky fingers. At least the rubber cement rubs off!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2018, 08:00 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

desertdeb, Where in beautiful AZ do you live? Anywhere near me?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2018, 11:38 AM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
... ... Any suggestions other than the Tombow Mono? I really dislike that stuff. I hate sticky fingers. At least the rubber cement rubs off!
Scotch brand has a liquid glue for sealing envies, with a sponge-tip applicator bottle. Several other brands are out there too. Looks like the office stores carry a few brands, or of course, Amazon. I've purchased a glue at stamp shows before, designed for use when making our own envies, but the brand name escapes me just now.

In Use Here:
Mono Liquid Adhesive ... transferred into a needle-tipped bottle. Try it ... you'll LUV it!
And, I still use my ATG as well ... it all depends on what I'm doing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2018, 11:42 AM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

On the edge between north Phoenix and Scottsdale
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2018, 03:04 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertdebView Post
On the edge between north Phoenix and Scottsdale
OK, so you are where it is really hot!
Reply With Quote Likes