Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-17-2017, 05:09 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Mojo can't live in a negative space

As some of you may know, I moved back in October. The area (guest bedroom) designated as a shared space for my creating was adequate size-wise and I had things arranged fairly well and organized and all of the rest of it. Regardless of this, I had the hardest time even making myself go in there, let alone actually producing anything. I had thought that everything needed tweaking so that it was easier to access and use and that, if I accomplished that, my mojo would surely return. I was wrong, as it turns out.

We moved (again) this week. The move was sudden and unexpected and definitely emotional. All of my stampy/crafty stuff is still in boxes. BUT - this is what I noticed, and my reason for posting... There was some underlying angst and a subtle negativity associated with the house that we moved out of. I know the owner well ( 40+ years), and should have known better, I suppose. I tend to be Pollyanna-ish more often than not, and don't always pick up on the cues the Universe tries to provide.

Now that we are in our new space (less than half the size of the house we vacated) and rid of the angst, I can feel the urge to create and the ideas to execute returning, even though I do not have access to ANY of my stuff quite yet...

All of which is to say: I now believe that where we create has an impact on how we create - or if we create at all. The space doesn't have to be large or well-appointed or any of the "peripheral" things like that. The vibe/ambience/juju/whatever label you like is the thing, in my opinion. Going forward I will pay as much attention to the feeling I get in a space as I've done to the aesthetics or functionality of it...

I don't know why I felt compelled to post this, but maybe others have struggled with the mojo thing, and this could point to a reason or possible solution...

Last edited by gregzgurl; 12-17-2017 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: Better explanation...?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2017, 03:29 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

Amen and TFS. I know first hand how bad surroundings effect every aspect of your life. Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2017, 05:22 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had that experience myself. Spaces definitely have their own vibes. Sometimes you can "fix" a negative space, and sometimes you just can't, no matter how much money and effort you throw at it.

Useful that you noticed this. Hope you can settle in and start creating soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2017, 06:53 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, can I identify with the OP! Energy lodges itself, and thoughts are things.

I'm glad you moved out of that house. But if you weren't able to move, with effort you could have changed the energy in that space using principles of feng shui. See: *Feng Shui* Your Studio To Maximize Creative Flow - Surface Design Association Surface Design Association

I haven't read the sources she sites, but I have had advice in the past. We may know some of the basics --like don't sit with your back to a door leading into and out of the room. But positioning light sources, where you sit in relation to windows in certain directions and where you put your desk and floor lights, are also important. Also mirrors and where your craft room is in relation to hallways can be important. Colors of the walls are important too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2017, 09:27 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

"There was some underlying angst and a subtle negativity associated with the house that we moved out of. I know the owner well ( 40+ years), and should have known better, I suppose. I tend to be Pollyanna-ish more often than not, and don't always pick up on the cues the Universe tries to provide."

And cues your well-working, aware brain tries to provide? (Brain: "Sue, listen up! That woman is bad mojo! Let go of the optimism and keep your distance from her and her offer!)

If the warning signs were about her, and a part of you was uneasy but trying to shut that "knowing" down, that takes energy, unconscious or not, and could drain creativity right out the door. At least it does for me.

I'm sorry you had to suddenly/shockingly move, though it sounds like in the long run it was a good thing if you already can imagine creating again! It sounds a bit like being freed.

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 12-18-2017 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: spacing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2017, 04:03 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
"There was some underlying angst and a subtle negativity associated with the house that we moved out of. I know the owner well ( 40+ years), and should have known better, I suppose. I tend to be Pollyanna-ish more often than not, and don't always pick up on the cues the Universe tries to provide."

And cues your well-working, aware brain tries to provide? (Brain: "Sue, listen up! That woman is bad mojo! Let go of the optimism and keep your distance from her and her offer!)

If the warning signs were about her, and a part of you was uneasy but trying to shut that "knowing" down, that takes energy, unconscious or not, and could drain creativity right out the door. At least it does for me.

I'm sorry you had to suddenly/shockingly move, though it sounds like in the long run it was a good thing if you already can imagine creating again! It sounds a bit like being freed.

Beth
It was exactly like being freed, and it was a him, not a her... I wasn't uneasy about anything going in, but after a very short time I noticed that the house was very unwelcoming and not like a "home". That's when I began feeling uneasy. The biggest cue that I missed before moving in was that I've heard how he talks about other tenants (he has multiple income properties). I didn't know that he would move DH and I from the "friend" category to the "lowlife tenant" category within weeks. I thought we had a better history than that, plus DH was maintaining the house and pool for him and I was helping him with tenant/HOA issues, so it was supposedly a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Ah well, I knew that he was getting weird in his old age (I can say that because I'm his age, too), but I didn't realize the extent of it. It was an expensive lesson, but hopefully I've learned it!

I just put DH on a plane to Denver yesterday, where he'll be working for several months, at least, so I have the...license?...freedom? to arrange this new place to suit me! He's pretty easy, so I'm not worried that he won't approve. My big issue now is that I don't want to unpack the boxes until I've mapped out an awesome plan for the new room!

Last edited by gregzgurl; 12-18-2017 at 04:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisa MayView Post
Wow, can I identify with the OP! Energy lodges itself, and thoughts are things.

I'm glad you moved out of that house. But if you weren't able to move, with effort you could have changed the energy in that space using principles of feng shui. See: *Feng Shui* Your Studio To Maximize Creative Flow - Surface Design Association Surface Design Association

I haven't read the sources she sites, but I have had advice in the past. We may know some of the basics --like don't sit with your back to a door leading into and out of the room. But positioning light sources, where you sit in relation to windows in certain directions and where you put your desk and floor lights, are also important. Also mirrors and where your craft room is in relation to hallways can be important. Colors of the walls are important too
Thanks for the link and thoughts! Yes, energy does lodge itself. I've studied Reiki and know how to clear energy (I've done it in the past with apartments we've lived in), but I wanted nothing more to do with this person after the issue that prompted the move.

Also, I've done a cursory overview of feng shui principles (and I have a book), so that's another way to approach things, for sure. I'll have to figure out which box the book is in and/or visit the link you've provided to see what's what before I start putting the room together. Thanks again!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2017, 12:19 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

My browser advised me to close the Feng Shui link because there was a possibility someone was using it to steal identities.

Clicker, beware!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2017, 02:06 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

Sue, I'm sorry for the two moves and missing mojo but even sorrier that I was inspired by another thread we were posting in to send you a Christmas card...to your 2X older address. Hope it will be forwarded. I *was* thinking of you.

I know you'll have those boxes unpacked and organized long before before DH returns.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2017, 03:54 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindylou1220View Post
Sue, I'm sorry for the two moves and missing mojo but even sorrier that I was inspired by another thread we were posting in to send you a Christmas card...to your 2X older address. Hope it will be forwarded. I *was* thinking of you.

I know you'll have those boxes unpacked and organized long before before DH returns.
Aww - you're so sweet!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2017, 11:03 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
My browser advised me to close the Feng Shui link because there was a possibility someone was using it to steal identities.

Clicker, beware!
Sorry, Ladies, here's working link to the article: *Feng Shui* Your Studio To Maximize Creative Flow - Surface Design Association Surface Design Association
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I know the feeling of "negative" energy. My husband and I rented a house while ours was being built. We shared a front room for our hobbies. No problem there as we had shared a room before. Although the home we rented was never lived in, brand new, it had weird energy in it. Even my cats were acting strange. I just couldn't get into creating. We are in our forever home and I have a 9x10 room for my creative space. I'm settling in and follow a few Feng Shiu principles in other areas of my home. I need to place a mirror on my table so I can see the door. You'll find your mojo again. Don't beat yourself up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2017, 11:52 AM   #13  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Sue I'm so sorry you've had a stressful time.

I could not agree with you more. Before I reconfigured my space I felt dread walking into it. I'm much happier and more productive with my bright, happy, if microscopic, space! Hugs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2017, 10:03 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is such a good reminder to trust our instincts. About once a year I have to give myself a tuneup in that area. I'm glad you are settling in to a warm receptive place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2017, 12:04 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Sue, big hugs to you for an unexpected move around the holidays. Bah Humbug on your landlord. I hope your new home turns out to be a beautiful Christmas present that brings you much joy.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2017, 04:06 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

The stupidest thing about this "move around the holidays" is that I had already put out ALL of my Christmas stuff - including a brand new huge tree we bought because our small apartment-sized one looked Charlie-brownish in that cavern of a house. Ah well, I got to enjoy it for a week before I boxed it all up again... I fly to Denver Friday and home again Monday night, so DH and I will just have a mile-high adventure for Christmas!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2017, 04:22 AM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

It will be very cold this weekend in Denver, maybe a light dusting of snow, too. Good thing you are not flying Thursday, busy airport day plus it is supposed to snow all morning. Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Something else that steals mojo? Moving! Exhausting mentally, physically, emotionally, every "___lly." What else is there room for? So be kind to yourself - you had just moved. Though that's not to discount the negative reality of the space/man.

This thread made me think about mojo in general. If I waited for inspiration/mojo to hit, I'd make something every two-three months I bet. If that. I have to do butt-in-the-chair creating, as an author said about her writing. Deadlines help, though they're stressful. Mostly it's slog through and eventually the light comes through.

Even if it's 10 minutes of swooshing paper through watercolors or ink, or die cutting with no goal, that's okay, because sometimes it leads to something. I have to do that because I don't have an internal motivator or discipline.

So thank you for reminding me to remind myself of all that. Even though as usual, I'm off track.

Last edited by bjeans; 12-20-2017 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: Chrome spacing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2017, 10:44 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 464 Likes on 346 Posts

Sue, I totally relate to what you're saying. I like to see the best in people too, and I once went against that vibe / internal voice and rented part of my house to someone and she turned into a nightmare tenant - when I finally got rid of her, I felt like a huge weight was off my shoulders.

And right now, my craft space is a disaster zone after all the Christmas card making and having the boxes of Christmas decorations cluttering up the space. So I really don't enjoy being up there. January's first job is a complete tidy up of it!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2017, 08:02 PM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Oh crackers Sue! I am sorry that happened. It's always lousy when friends let you down but when it is about your HOME...that's especially bad. ((hugs))
I am glad you guys found a new home.

I like sprinkling my creative space with things that interest me....imaginative pictures, cards, pretty art glass, etc. Makes the space "me". Like a girl cave. I feel like it makes the mojo positive, happy and inspirational and crowds out bad vibes.

I expect my space is very NON shui! Cant help it. Gotta fit in as I can!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2017, 04:15 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I hear that! I haven't unpacked any of the craft goodies yet, but I've got a wall of shelves going that has all of my books, family mementos, and other things that I love on it. The other side of the room is where the crafting will take place, and I'll sit where I can see all of it. Off to a good (slow) start, I think!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2017, 04:17 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindylou1220View Post

Your card found it's way to me, and it's beautiful - thank you!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2017, 09:34 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 243 Likes on 129 Posts

{{{{hugggsss}}}}}
Reply With Quote Likes