Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-18-2017, 07:31 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow, have ya EVER really gone through all your supplies?

I've been in search of a vintage looking script paper to use on a Christmas card. I figured that I had an hour or so before going back to work so I decided to look through my stash. I was a scrapbooker long before I was a stamper so I have TONS and TONS of 12x12 papers. Loose papers, kits and full paper packs, I have them all.

So I went through all of my printed paper and all of my Stampin Up paper packs and goodness gracious, I HAVE SOME PAPER!!!! Unfortunately I didn't find what I was looking for but I did find that I have MANY pieces of paper that I can use on my Christmas cards. I won't have to buy another piece for an eternity (but we all know I WILL) LOL

I have all of next week off from work, so I think I just might go through my stuff even more to see what I have. It's like shopping all over again. :shock:

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2017, 08:33 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our workplace recently had a card making session for gifts for needy senior citizens. I was asked to design three simple cards to be assembled during the session.

I have a friend who does paper marbling and he gives me the "cast off" pieces. I hoard them because they are so beautiful. I decided to use this paper as the backgrounds for these cards. . .and was embarrassed at how much I had. I cut out items for more than 75 cards and it hardly put a dent in my stash.

So um, yeah, I should go through more of my supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2017, 08:55 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamper1996View Post
Our workplace recently had a card making session for gifts for needy senior citizens. I was asked to design three simple cards to be assembled during the session.

I have a friend who does paper marbling and he gives me the "cast off" pieces. I hoard them because they are so beautiful. I decided to use this paper as the backgrounds for these cards. . .and was embarrassed at how much I had. I cut out items for more than 75 cards and it hardly put a dent in my stash.
To help you not feel embarrassed any more, my address is: 113... ;)

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2017, 10:03 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

if it makes you feel better it would take me a whole lot longer then an hour to go through my DP......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh believe me, it would take me way longer than an hour also, but I only had an hour to kill before going back to work. I have all next week off so I just might go thorugh some more and take out all the pieces that I can use on my Christmas cards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukieView Post
if it makes you feel better it would take me a whole lot longer then an hour to go through my DP......

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2017, 03:20 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I used an old pack of Basic Grey 6x6 Wassail paper for my Christmas cards. Probably been in my stash for 10 years.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2017, 03:33 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

I did sort through every single piece of 12" loose papers and cardstock's this summer.
( and it took off and on a few days spare time to do that) :mrgreen:

evidently when I like a sheet, I do not buy one or two but 3 or 4 or 6 (spread out over different shopping trips)...
(but, now all the duplicates are grouped together) ;)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2017, 04:23 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm kind of stupid about organizing and indexing (I'm not OCD, I'm CDO - put them in alphabetical order like they're supposed to be!), so yeah, I've got a pretty good handle on every single thing I have in the craft arena (plus I just boxed it all up to move again, lol). That being said, I have LOTS that has been in my stash long enough to cause me embarrassment that it's never been used...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2017, 05:41 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

I tend to reorganize when my mojo takes a hike or when I'm stressed about something. I had a few occasions to look through this year and took the opportunity to pull out a lot of things to sell and donate. None of the supplies really surprised me, but it did surprise me to feel so good releasing so many things. And now I know how much room I have for new things

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2017, 03:45 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 585 Likes on 240 Posts

We lived in the same house for 10 years and when we moved, the craft sections took a very long time. Tossed a lot of things, donated to preschool teachers and Goodwill, then sorted, packed, labeled everything else. Next time I will not wait 10 years. Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2017, 05:53 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Wayyyyy to frightening a process to even consider! Like taking a trip into the 'Twilight Zone'!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2017, 03:17 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm literally laughing out loud! I am in the process of reorganizing my stamps - can't even begin to think about my paper! I, too, started as a scrapbooker. I have enough 12x12 paper to circle the equator. And yet it still sometimes pains me to cut into some of my "good" paper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2017, 07:18 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,972 Likes on 1,489 Posts

My name is Sharon and I am a paper hoarder! I am like Vicki, I hate to cut into good paper! And not only that, but when I Scrap and put mats under my photos, I cut a shape out of the middle of the mat, so I am not wasting paper. Recently at my first Scrap retreat the others couldn’t believe I was taking the trouble to do this, so , I have all those papers, too! I know I will never use all this 12x12 or 81/2x11 paper in my lifetime! I went through and took the ugliest out and got rid of those sheets and tried to organize it. I am trying to use it up in my scrapping. I have a lot of that to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2017, 09:55 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

I am going through my paper right now. Unfortunately I am a better collector than crafter. I started as a stamper then scrap booker then added card making. I am now making mini albums (slowly) to try and use my stash. I am also making a box to send to the art teacher at my grandson’s middle school. I am also trying to part with dies and punches as I own a Cricut and a Scan n Cut. I have been collecting for about 30 years so it is a very full craft space. Darn those companies that keep making beautiful products!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2017, 11:20 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Every time I lose something I go through all my supplies! Eventually I decided to go with the iPhone app My Stuff Pro to keep track of everything. Almost all of my paper packs and stamps are catalogued, all of my colour mediums (paint, ink, reinkers, pastes), stencils, masks, paper kits, dies and Embossing folders are done. My biggest unfinished area is single sheets of 12x12 paper from back when they really didn't make 6x6 packs. Yep, that's some old paper! I can't possibly record every sheet so that I will have to go through every so often to refresh my memory.

I've even started adding my cards to my app. I'm amazed by how many I have. Also by how many I have in some categories and how few in other categories! I don't add a lot of detail, mostly just the photo, category and where I keep it so it doesn't take too long. I also price them as I send them to hubbys work to sell. It takes longer to add the number and price to the back than it does adding them to the app!

I highly recommend this app. I know everyone loved Evernote but My Stuff is much more comprehensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Scary thought! I've tried a few times but get so easily distracted that I give up! Just now trying to go through my punches as I've lots 3 of them! grrr...I hope to make a new catalogue of them all in some kind of order as well as use the negatives to see if sentiments will fit in them. This will likely take me a year or so but I am gradually going through it all. Pens and markers I just finished -sort of- for now at least. No rush is there?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #17  
Inking Addict

I have my Christmasy paper stored in the 12x12 (fits paper that size) containers I got from Michaels on sale. I also have several labeled by specific stuff, Valentine, Easter/Spring, dogs/cats. Sometimes I add stamps to the containers too, especially if it is real specific. I hit a sale of all sales before the holidays on Glitter and Glimmer paper and bought quite a bit (really, did I say that?) and I have that and the scraps stored in one of those containers too. That way, I can move it to the bottom of the stack after the holiday or season and bring the current ones up. So far it's working for me especially for the specific type of paper. I know there are some papers that can be used anywhere and they are the ones that are trickier to keep track of. Hope this idea helps somebody.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2017, 09:28 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty MurphyView Post
I have my Christmasy paper stored in the 12x12 (fits paper that size) containers I got from Michaels on sale. I also have several labeled by specific stuff, Valentine, Easter/Spring, dogs/cats. Sometimes I add stamps to the containers too, especially if it is real specific. I hit a sale of all sales before the holidays on Glitter and Glimmer paper and bought quite a bit (really, did I say that?) and I have that and the scraps stored in one of those containers too. That way, I can move it to the bottom of the stack after the holiday or season and bring the current ones up. So far it's working for me especially for the specific type of paper. I know there are some papers that can be used anywhere and they are the ones that are trickier to keep track of. Hope this idea helps somebody.
Oh my word ... the mere thought of categorizing my entire, shameful stash of dsp is the stuff of nightmares. T'would be a wondrous achievement indeed! High Fives to y'all who are sincerely in control of your crafty domains!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2017, 09:27 AM   #19  
Inking Addict

Seriously, I only have glittery/glimmer, Christmas and some definitely Valentines paper organized in containers. The rest is, well, out there! lol

We could ask for an elf for help after the holidays!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2018, 01:38 AM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
A Little Birdie Told Me

Oh yes........I 💗 paper!!!

I've been going through my stuff.
We are moving this year sometime. My craft room is full of goodies.

Something I have been doing, with my 12x12 paper. Is cutting it down to 6x6 size. Sorting it into companies, and seasons.
Getting ready to move.

Another thing, I purchased plastic tubs with handles and placed my stamp sets in them. They are easier to move. Plus I sorted them by company and theme.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2018, 11:54 AM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Unfortunately I've had to say stop, not kinda stop, not sometimes stop but just stop now. I'm doing another major reorg of the stash and can say that I have more than 9000 sheets of 12x12 paper. I'm going to give away 25% of it somehow within the next month. That's the current goal anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2018, 11:57 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I am in the process of going through my stamps and listing what I don't want on the bull/sell thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2018, 10:28 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

I have dug, scrounged for the last three holidays, using what I have, being resourceful, thinking outside the box as far as colors, trim. Good feeling to really use something up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2018, 04:06 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

I think my envelope punch board is the MVP of my craft space right now because it has helped me use up so much paper. I seriously recommend it - you'll use your stash AND have cuter envelopes, too!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2018, 02:15 PM   #25  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteamingView Post
Unfortunately I've had to say stop, not kinda stop, not sometimes stop but just stop now. I'm doing another major reorg of the stash and can say that I have more than 9000 sheets of 12x12 paper. I'm going to give away 25% of it somehow within the next month. That's the current goal anyway.
I happened to come across this from about a month ago. I wondered
1) how in the world you figured out that you have 9000 sheets of paper
2) how you did with getting rid of 25% of your stash

I have a lot, but I have to admit that I have no idea how much I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2018, 03:30 AM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

Yes, I have, and it wasn't pretty. I am loving the envelope punchboard tip. That's going to use up a few paper stacks. I'm tired of looking at them, but don't want to toss them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm 71 and began cardmaking about 11 years ago. I now look at all the stuff I bought in my naivety, and see how much my style has changed.
I was actually searching for some "fibers" I bought long ago...I can see the package in my mind with turquoise, hot pink and butter colored twisted, fuzzy string...so that I could use it on a card for someone who wouldn't know it's not in style anymore. I never did find it.
I bought a lot of 12 x 12 pads, and now realize the patterns are too large for cards. I bought a lot of paper packs at Michaels, that are so thin they can only be used for layering.
If I ever get to retire, I want to sort and remove a lot of stuff from my craft room. If I die before I retire, my son will be doing a lot of eye-rolling about all I have collected....then may throw it all away! ....BUT my crafty daughter will want to sort and keep a lot for her scrapbooking.
Reply With Quote Likes