Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-13-2017, 04:47 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How to run a card making workshop

I don't think this is the right place to post this - but I didn't know where to put it and this seemed the best option.

I live in a large complex of high rise buildings in New York City. We have a large "senior" population and are lucky enough to have a community room where various classes are held, including an arts and crafts group. I have become friendly with the woman who holds the arts and crafts class, and in a weak moment (haha) I suggested it would be fun to have a one class workshop to make a card for the holidays. I guess there's about 12-15 people in the group and the class is usually three hours.

I'm actually not even sure if I can attend the workshop as it's held on a day I can't be there - although maybe I'll just have them move it for that one day. I have a LOT of stuff - cardstock, dsp, embellishments, punchies, die cuts etc. that I thought I could bring to the group. The thing is I have never even been to a card class so I'm not sure at all how to set up things. I don't really want to bring my stamps and punches and dies to the workshop - so - do I just cut up a whole bunch of stuff and put it in baggies and then the "students" just pick and choose what they want? Is there any way I should structure things so that everyone gets at least one card at the end of the workshop? The only thing I was thinking was a Christmas/new year/winter holiday theme, and I always like to put photos in my cards so I thought they could bring photos. The regular group leader has glues and scissors - even cardstock but I'm sure my SU and PTI cardstock is much prettier so I thought I'd bring that.

Anyway - I don't know at all what I'm doing here so any advice or information/idea sources would be a great help. Many thanks.
Stefany
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2017, 06:42 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds like such a fun plan! A great way to get to know your neighbours

My demo friend and I did a couple evening ‘stamp a stacks’ some time ago, sounds similar to what you describe. If you are able to be there, it would be better for sure.

We prepped everything before hand which made for a lot of ahead of time work. But if I remember right, each lady paid 25$ and went home with 5 or 6 cards-we provided all the materials so we recouped some cost. Having them rsvp gives you a number so you know how many to prep for.

We started with simple designs that could be managed without a lot of instruction, providing a sample card of course, so they could see what it was supposed to look like. Precut everything. If I recall, we did let them stamp the image and use a punch if needed, so they felt they had done more than assemble pieces. If ribbon or embellishments were needed, they were provided.

And yes, each project was all together in baggies as well as an envelope for each card.

I don’t remember if we expected them to bring adhesive or not, if your craft center has that already, bonus!

We had a table off to the side with light snacks and juice or something too, but you wouldn’t need to do that. Our events took all evening so it seemed nice to add that. Let us know what you do! It can be a lot of fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2017, 07:04 PM   #3  
Inking Addict

Yes I think I will make a point of being there - I want to have fun too! I'm sure I can arrange for them to have refreshments - so it's like a party. I would like to learn how to run a class so being there will be an important learning experience for me. I guess if I get some reimbursement it can pay for ink pads used up- I won't take my favorite stamps haha! Jeannie55 wrote to me suggesting coloring and pop up cards - so I could do a couple of examples. I have a LOT of punches and I suppose they're pretty hard to break. I want to share - but ... Thanks for your suggestions - I'm getting excited about doing this! It'll take me a couple of weeks to get organized but I'll make sure I report back! Stefany
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2017, 07:06 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my CTMH rep has card workshops, she has:
-made a sample of each card
-cut alllllll the pieces for each card (I can't recall if she puts them in individual envelopes with the card base or if she stacked the pieces)
-left the stamping and assembling for the participants

When my AMuse rep used to have workshops, her space was big enough that she, in addition to doing what my CTMH rep does, could create a station with multiple seats for each card so people could move at their own pace. Then she did have all the pieces stacked.

Tip: whatever piece is going to be stamped, cut a bunch extra for mess-ups.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2017, 04:23 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wasn't sure how senior your seniors were, so wasn't sure if my experience with senior card making would be useful, so that's why the pm. One thing to consider is that vision, hand strength and arthritis are part of the aging process, sad to say. They effect different people differently, but it's good to consider as you're planning your projects with olders rather than youngers. Your activities person can be a great help here in letting you know what tools and techniques will be no problem and what might be difficult.

I'm so happy you're going to take us on your journey too and keep us posted!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2017, 03:50 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest having individual bags of elements for each person to make up a card. I was asked to run a session for people who had suffered from strokes and I just brought all my supplies and left them in the middle of the table and gave them free rein, one man ended up sticking about twenty of my most expensive embellishments on one card! Despite that it was rewarding to see their interest and sobering to see very young people left so disabled.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2017, 04:14 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 13 yo girls and seniors

To one one else's point with seniors and arthritis, I would add that even young ones have trouble wit coordination. For example, we stamped ornaments, then used a punch to cut out. Some of the girls had a time trying to hold paper in punch and then squeezing. What we consider to be easy peasy, they do not.! What the seniors may enjoy is coloring the stamped images and then assembling the cards. Keep it simple.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I would also suggest that in NY, you might also have people of other faiths there: a Hannukah card option would be nice, and general winter themed cards: also, a nice winter thank you card is a good one to offer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2017, 05:36 PM   #9  
Inking Addict

Thank you all for suggestions and ideas - a big thing for me is to keep it simple - I can always get more adventurous and have another class. Definitely I'll make sure I offer a range of color schemes and holidays as you are right we have people from a variety of backgrounds. I think the idea of doing a couple of examples and then bags of elements they can use to make a card is the best way to go - some of our ladies are hoarders (haha - I'm part hoarder myself) / so I think this will help manage the supplies best and make sure everyone has enough "stuff". The best thing about all your advice is you've helped calm me and given me a framework for the class - I thank you all. I will probably do this the week of the 11th December - I had planned it earlier but sadly my father passed away in Australia recently and I only just decided today to do the whirlwind trip from ny to Sydney to attend his wake on December 2nd. I have a very bad back, and a very sick husband (on dialysis) so I can only go for a few days. Preparing for this card group will be a good distraction for when I return (December 5th) as I so rarely see my dear brothers and sisters and their families (all in Sydney) / we also just lost our mother last year so we're all orphaned now (in our 50's haha!). Please excuse me for revealing so much of myself here - but even though I'm usually a lurker, I feel very attached to SCS and see the generosity and fraternity all around here. Many thanks and I'll keep you all updated Stefany
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2017, 06:42 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Sending you hugs, thanks for sharing. Keep in touch, it sounds like you'll be busy but being with family will help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2017, 09:01 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow..that is a lot on your plate in the next few weeks - blessings, hugs, prayers and strength! And thanks for being brave enough to share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2017, 10:25 PM   #12  
Inking Addict

Hey ladies - thanks for the hugs! I kind of need them at the moment. I was thinking of moving this over to the "need a prayer" thread haha! I met briefly with the lady who usually runs the arts and crafts - she said there are 17 women in the group - quite a few have some compromised motor skills - she said they all L-O-V-E to color! And she has tons of coloring pencils and markers - so I don't have to share my copics - haha! So I think I'm on the right track with things. She said she tries to get them to do more "free form" stuff like drawing and painting but they really don't like to do that - That got me thinking about all the great cards with beautiful backgrounds I've seen here. Maybe after the holiday card class I could do a class making backgrounds - it's kind of a nice bridge from just "coloring in the lines" to more free self expression - but not too risky - they all turn out pretty! Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2017, 03:36 PM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for letting us know what you are facing, for trusting us with your hurts. My thoughts and prayers go with you. What a long trip you will have, praying for strength for you ! Your card class sounds more and more fun and it would be so great to participate! I’m so glad our conversations have helped you
Reply With Quote Likes