Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-11-2017, 07:38 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coverage with unmounted background stamps

I unmounted all my SU background stamps to the bare rubber. I cant seem to get good coverage with these stamps at all now. I tried with my Tonic positioner to repeat and the covered spots just got darker and the non covered still not covered. I would prefer not to put them on eazy mount. Any suggestions
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am just speculating here, but it seems to me that on a stamp as large as a BG stamp, you are often going to have some variation in height, spots that are a tiny bit higher and a tiny bit lower. Cling mounting them would probably solve your problem, since you were successfully using them on wood blocks, and there was a layer of foam under them to help even things out when you stamped.

I've done my share of putting stamps on cling, and doing a BG is the easiest. No image to cut around, it's a square or a rectangle. I get that you might want your stamps bare for space reasons, or that even though they are the simplest to mount, they are going to take up a lot of (not so cheap) Easy Mount. But it might be your only choice.

Like I said, this is just me thinking out loud. There are folks here who are die-hard bare rubber stampers who will no doubt have more informed answers for you. I don't like working with bare rubber, so I buy on cling, or I mount onto cling if I unmount from wood or buy something that comes bare.

I'll be very curious as to what others say about this.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 11-11-2017 at 08:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2017, 08:44 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 243 Likes on 129 Posts

There are two thicknesses available in EZ Mount ... one is quite thin and is black in color. It's a noticeable difference from the normal thicker one. I bought it as a self-trial a few years ago & found it to be a lot easier when trimming, just as high-tack to hold the rubber, and provides a much nicer stamped image than bare rubber. I know that some swear by bare rubber, so it's good that we have options. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2017, 08:56 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Bev, you had the opposite experience to me! I found the thin black mount to be great for very small images or sentiments, but not as good for everything else in terms of stamping, although it was far easier to trim out. And I found it didn't hold up as well for me, which may be because I live in a very humid subtropical climate.

Yes, thank goodness for the multitude of choices we have! We sometimes complain that companies throw way too much at us because they know we are a great audience, but this is the flip side of that pancake. ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2017, 09:05 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppofctView Post
I unmounted all my SU background stamps to the bare rubber. I cant seem to get good coverage with these stamps at all now. I tried with my Tonic positioner to repeat and the covered spots just got darker and the non covered still not covered. I would prefer not to put them on eazy mount. Any suggestions
Have you tried both sides of the positioner? The rubber side is for stamps with cushion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2017, 09:37 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

i have. Because it was bare red rubber I used the clear stamp side with a this foam insert but the coverage was blotchy across the whole card. I was working with the canvas background
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2017, 10:07 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Easiest is to put the stamp face up on the table, ink it, put your cardstock in top of the ink, lay scrap paper on top, and just rub over the whole surface or use a brayer over it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2017, 10:50 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Oh that's right, duh, Arlene. That's how I use mine most of the time anyway. Why didn't I think of that? ;)!

Although I do like to put the BG stamp on the platform and stick the paper to the lid. That way I can re-stamp if I don't get a clean enough image. Some of my BG stamps are pretty detailed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Oh that's right, duh, Arlene. That's how I use mine most of the time anyway. Why didn't I think of that? ;)!

Although I do like to put the BG stamp on the platform and stick the paper to the lid. That way I can re-stamp if I don't get a clean enough image. Some of my BG stamps are pretty detailed.
This is what I do, too (put the stamp face up in the MISTI and tape the paper to the lid) - works great!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Arelene, Sue,
Lets give the "old fashioned" route a try
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2017, 12:40 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

But I don't think this would help the OP, who has already used the platform and is getting uneven images. If it didn't work putting the BG on the lid, it won't be any better putting the BG on the platform. Why would she be getting uneven images once she unmounted a stamp that was working fine as a wood mount stamp?

I still think you should put it on cling, ppofct. Just try it with one of the "problem" BG stamps and see if it helps.

Oops, I see we had a simul-post, ppofct. I guess you should disregard my suggestion if you can get good result the old fashioned way, and no money spent on Easy Mount.

Hope you work this out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2017, 02:32 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

The reason putting bare rubber on the platform of the MISTI works so well is that there is a piece of foam underneath it. It acts as if the rubber is mounted on foam...only it isn't!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2017, 04:14 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by arlenevitaView Post
Easiest is to put the stamp face up on the table, ink it, put your cardstock in top of the ink, lay scrap paper on top, and just rub over the whole surface or use a brayer over it.
This is what I do also.

I am using the stamping platform with bare rubber stamps. I kindof think that for my stamps, it needs a one cardstock sheet shim to get good coverage on the clear stamp side.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2017, 06:52 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think bare rubber needs a cushion layer to "even" out the stamp. So on the table/desk - foam pad, stamp (face-up and inked), cardstock and maybe use a brayer also.
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2017, 07:11 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brenda71View Post
I think bare rubber needs a cushion layer to "even" out the stamp. So on the table/desk - foam pad, stamp (face-up and inked), cardstock and maybe use a brayer also.
You're right about the cushion layer to even out the stamp, but the wild thing (imho) is that the cushion layer can be on either side. (as in: under the stamp OR under the CS.) People who were stamping with nekkid rubber tried to explain that to me for the longest time and it wasn't until I tried it that I got it, but it works, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2017, 03:47 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 243 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brenda71View Post
... ... and maybe use a brayer also.
Yes, I agree!
A brayer is great for complete & smooth inking on a background or even a large image stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2017, 12:50 PM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I put the stamp on my craft mat (which is taped to a self-healing mat), ink it, place the card stock on top of the stamp and press/smooth all over with my fingers - not just the tips, four fingers together. That works better for me than brayering, but if you try different methods and vary the firmness you'll find what fits you best. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2017, 04:05 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by arlenevitaView Post
This would be my suggestion for any rather large stamp. I like to rub rather than brayer as I seem to move the paper more with the brayer technique and smear it than I do with rubbing it with my fingers. If I know there is a trouble spot, it is easier to rub that area with my fingers to get a better coverage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2017, 06:41 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love, love, love my MISTI for background stamps if I want a full area covered. The repeat-as-needed to get an area I may not have fully inked is such a wonderful thing. and no more slip-n-slide that I struggled with with the stamp down, CS on top strategy. OK, I admit, I'm not a gifted stamper! lol!
Reply With Quote Likes