Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 243 Likes on 129 Posts
Question 'docrafts Creativity' mag ?

Looking for critiques on the 'Creativity' magazine by docrafts ... Description includes card making, scrapbooking, jewelry + more. Published in UK. Sure wish our USA publications could rebound, but global offerings are available & I love magazines for quiet times.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 662 Likes on 416 Posts

I have not heard anything about that particular one Bev, so I am watching your thread to see what kind of answers you get. But, I do know there is some UK mag ( at Joann's or Barnes and Nobel's that actually puts like dies and stamp sets into the magazine too) ( they shrink wrap them) (so, you can't flip through them to see what the content is like.) but, people seem to like the free tools in them.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subbing. Always interested in good crafting publications. I used to get Rubber Stamp Madness, but switched over to the one by Stampington, Stampers Sampler. More my speed, stylistically.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2017, 01:12 PM   #4  
Demo Challenge Leader

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
I have not heard anything about that particular one Bev, so I am watching your thread to see what kind of answers you get. But, I do know there is some UK mag ( at Joann's or Barnes and Nobel's that actually puts like dies and stamp sets into the magazine too) ( they shrink wrap them) (so, you can't flip through them to see what the content is like.) but, people seem to like the free tools in them.
I've bought one of those with a coupon previously at JoAnn. Didn't appeal enough to subscribe though. Even B&N buries the few stampy mags so far behind the quilting mags now that one has to be limbered up from yoga to have a fair chance at finding! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
I've bought one of those with a coupon previously at JoAnn. Didn't appeal enough to subscribe though. Even B&N buries the few stampy mags so far behind the quilting mags now that one has to be limbered up from yoga to have a fair chance at finding! ;)
My B&N has the same set-up, with the added bonus of having those 'women's interest' crafting mags in the bottom rack with the 'men's interest' crafting mags in the top rack. For me to see the papercrafting mags I have to get on my hands and knees and pray a guy doesn't want to see any mags!

Save
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2017, 11:45 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I can see docrafts.com and the magazine of the same name exist to promote a few specific brands, such as papermania paper products. I wouldn�t get it unless you can easily get those products. In Australia we have mostly UK craft magazines. The Australian magazines have had to follow the trend so pretty well every one has some small item included. I suppose it keeps people buying paper magazines rather than electronic versions.
Rachelrose, you might like the UK �craft stamper� magazine Craft Stamper , its closest to the Stampington style I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2017, 12:19 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieJennyView Post
From what I can see docrafts.com and the magazine of the same name exist to promote a few specific brands, such as papermania paper products.
^This! Docrafts has its own brands which for papercrafts would mainly by Xcut (dies and punches) and Papermania. The projects in the magazines are geared around those products. It's all personal taste I guess but I suspect you'd find the projects quite basic for your skill level, Bev.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieJennyView Post
Rachelrose, you might like the UK “craft stamper” magazine Craft Stamper , its closest to the Stampington style I think.
Craft Stamper now bills itself as a mixed media publication. To find out whether you like the style and content, it might be worth a look at a single digital issue (obviously you won't get any cover-mount stamp that way but I think some US outlets remove those anyway - something to do with rights?). You can find digital issues here and there's an option to buy a single issue.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2017, 01:43 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Have to agree with Angelnorth. I have bought it on odd occasions in the past, but it is aimed primarily at the Do Crafts brand of crafting products, and as Joanne says, I think at a very basic skill level. If you like Stampington, or Rubber Stamp Madness, then I think you'd not find this mag inspiring at all. Very often, there is little in even basic stamping, but definitely the projects are geared to promote various products, mainly dies, in their line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2017, 03:34 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for the info on Craft Stamper. I guess the reason there are so few craft mags is an effect of the internet, the fact that what we do is technique based and so watching someone do it is usually going to be a default for most people over looking at a picture or even a series of pictures. And those resources are free and available 24/7. There has been such a great proliferation of crafting blogs and Youtube channels, even in the short time I have been crafting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2017, 07:40 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I really miss the Paper Crafts special issues. I loved the Stamp It that they came out with once a year in the spring. And all the special issues SBing mags that came out. There were a couple really good ones by Jennifer McGuire. I love the internet and all the online inspiration, but I really miss having a few good magazines!!
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2017, 08:08 AM   #11  
Demo Challenge Leader

Agreed ... the internet & proliferation of online inspiration in all sorts has certainly taken a giant toll on our brick & mortar crafty stores & scrappy stores as well as paper publications. I so enjoy curling up with a magazine, even at home, and definitely when traveling. Really a catch-22, as most of us here also partake in internet browsing, etc. Oh yeah ... we want it all, myself included! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2017, 01:39 PM   #12  
Demo Challenge Leader

Default in the same light ...

Today's sad update to US stamping publications ... Card Maker magazine is ceasing publication with the Winter 2017 issue.

The only US stamp publications I could find recently at B&N were,
  • Stamper's Sampler
  • Apprentice
  • Take Ten (spotted 1 tattered & well-flipped out-of-date issue)
  • Rubber Stamp Madness (again, 1 tattered, bent, very out0of-date issue)
Actually, that's what prompted me to browse a little online when I was back at home ... leading to my original post. Wishing I were independently wealthy & able to bring out a US pub for stampers & just take it as a tax loss if necessary. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2017, 02:44 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

And I think Take Ten is a Stampington pub, so relater to Stampers Sampler.

You can still subscribe to RSM. I only cancelled my sub last year.

I did, BTW, buy a digital copy of one issue of Craft Stamper and have been perusing. It's quite nice, they are very much mixed-media but cards are a strong presence (at least in the issue I have) and the techniques they show for non-card "makes" (which is I guess what you say instead of "projects" in the UK) would for the most part transfer easily to cards. And they are NOT a beginners mag by any means, but do a great job of explaining the techniques they showcase. I'm starting to lean in a non-card direction in any case. But I would only do the mag digitally. I think shipping it here to the US would be pricey.

Yes, wouldn't it be fun to start a magazine? I've always thought so. I did all the editorial and print production at the school district where I was the high school librarian, from the student art/lit mag to the district's newsletter, and I loved doing it.
Reply With Quote Likes