Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-02-2017, 06:39 PM   #41  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

That is an excellent point about supplies drying up/going bad. I used to have a "full set syndrome" at first. When I liked something, I would get it in every shape and color. But I learned the hard way that anything I didn't use immediately or often would become a waste of money.

For example, I got some lovely Dylusions paints with the idea that I'll be making an art journal. Only, I never got very far into art journalling and that paint sat in my stash. When the art journal bug bit me a year later again, I pulled out the paints and they were completely dry and unusable. So getting that range of 8 colors was something I didn't need right then and there. I would have been better off getting a stamp set or a die I'd actually use.

I try to make it a habit now to go through my stash regularly and pull out things that inspire me. It feels like I'm rediscovering treasures and it's fun to use them. Plus, a lot of them are things that have retired, so using them feels like I'm using a rare supply that stands out from the crowd. ;-)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2017, 03:44 AM   #42  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the jar design of those Dylusions paints is very problematic. I know why Dyan Reaveley wanted them that way - so you could dip a baby wipe in it easily - but I don't think her reason justifies the fact that such a shallow wide-mouth jar invites drying.

And, frankly, Elle, when you buy paint, you do need to buy a number of colors. Had you kept up with your journalling, having only two or three colors of paint would have limited you. I totally get the "full set" thing. And in the case of something where there are a ton of colors, it does make sense to think about whether you really need them all. But eight colors? I blame Ranger for allowing that impractical packaging to go to market.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2017, 05:36 AM   #43  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
That Marie Kondo book changed my life. The purge I did of my craft room afterwards made a big difference in how I feel in there.

Although I would caution people � you can over-purge once you get into the giddy thrill of the process. I did get rid of a few things I wish I hadn't. I can see now that I was on the fence about them, and should have put them in a box and hidden them.

That all said, I do have a fear of running out of certain colors of cardstock. There's about six colors that I use so constantly that I have to know I have plenty in. More than I need. I don't make that many cards, frankly.

Then there are some things that are problematic because you have to use them or they dry up. I bought only three colors of Nuvo Embellishment Mousse, the ones I thought I would use a lot, and I love the stuff, but I can't use it fast enough, so I'm sure one day I'll find they have turned hard on me.

I agree with you on over-purging. I was looking for a paint brush yesterday and I think now it was in a donate box. I am usually good at storing stuff for a while then re-thinking if I still want to get rid of it, but I wasn't really painting that much then.

For the mousse, if it is a large jar, you can put a piece of baby wipe in there (alcohol free) or use a tiny amount of distilled water (so no mold) to keep it moist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2017, 05:54 AM   #44  
Glitter Guru

Yeah, I had my moments of Doh! after I purged, but there weren't many. Overall, I'm super happy I did it. You can't keep everything that comes into your life but you also can't always predict where your life is going to take you up the road. I figure if I have to buy a few things over, okay.

Good idea about the baby wipe. The mousse comes in that same jar as the Dylusions paints. But in the case of the mousse there was really no other way to package it because it is a texture product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2017, 07:58 AM   #45  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
And, frankly, Elle, when you buy paint, you do need to buy a number of colors. Had you kept up with your journalling, having only two or three colors of paint would have limited you. I totally get the "full set" thing. And in the case of something where there are a ton of colors, it does make sense to think about whether you really need them all. But eight colors? I blame Ranger for allowing that impractical packaging to go to market.
I'm just glad I got 8 colors instead of the whole range. I'm probably going to clean out the pots and re-purpose them for embellishment storage. They will make cute button jars.

Though... I had the same issue with other liquid-type products. My masking fluid, for example, dried and clumped before I had a chance to use it more than once (much to my disappointment). And the same thing happened with my large bottle of glossy accents (that one turned an awful yellow, too).

So, to some extent, it's just the nature of the media. But, my feelings of disappointment pop in mainly when it's a product I bought "just in case" and had it sit in my stash until it was unusable because I wasn't doing that particular technique or working with that particular style for a long time. I'm learning to not buy 1089457816764354 things just because I came across a technique or a style I like - especially when it's something posted by a talented crafter in a YT video. ;)

I only bought a set of 6 oxides in my favorite colors, for example, and I don't know that I'll get more than that. I'm still on the fence about them, so I'm definitely not investing any more until I feel confident that I'll actually make good use of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2017, 03:29 PM   #46  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

"You can't keep everything that comes into your life..."

:shock:

Says who?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2017, 03:28 AM   #47  
Glitter Guru

Okay, you can! Just make sure to keep a narrow path cleared among all of it so you can get around from wherever you sleep to the bathroom and kitchen. And put the heavy stuff on the bottom of the piles for safety! ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2017, 04:04 PM   #48  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

That sounds like the voice of experience speaking ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2017, 03:12 PM   #49  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

Oh, Robin, I just read your conclusion.......ain't that the truth! Hilarious.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2017, 08:07 AM   #50  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rachelrose I loved your comment. I forgot about the safety part LOL. A path to the front door is good too so you can go to the mailbox to pick up more new stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2017, 08:39 AM   #51  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I purged my craft room/office. The donate boxes completely filled my un-large SUV this past weekend and went on their way to the Life4Animals thrift shop. I can breathe now.

There are some kept "iffies" that if located in any other room I would have donated them. But I haven't been paper crafting so long that I can tell myself, "Self, you haven't used X in 7 years so put your ruthless hat on and let it go so someone will love it." But the iffies are on my radar so will earn their keep or leave.

I spent about $300 on refills for the one stamp runner that I can use comfortably for hours that was discontinued. It was a holiday gift. No regrets.

When the conversation is more about buying than making, that's a sign.

And wow, do I have to work on what Elle said:

Elle said, "I'm learning to not buy 1089457816764354 things just because I came across a technique or a style I like - especially when it's something posted by a talented crafter in a YT video."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2017, 09:45 PM   #52  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

“More about buying than making” rang my bell. Lately I haven’t had much time to make but I have found time to buy. The technique or style of a designer on a video is often the trigger for me also. Time to get a grip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2017, 12:05 PM   #53  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
�More about buying than making� rang my bell. Lately I haven�t had much time to make but I have found time to buy. The technique or style of a designer on a video is often the trigger for me also. Time to get a grip.
"The technique or style of a designer from you tube" is also a huge problem for me. I just succumbed again, buying some gold paint, only to come home and find some. However they are different shades and were only $3. It will just take more practice I guess
Reply With Quote Likes