Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-04-2017, 12:42 PM   #1  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Weird experience - received craft order from unknown comoany

Hi! I would appreciate some feedback on how to proceed after this very strange occurrence.In today's mail I received a box from a craft supply company called A Cherry on Top. Website addy is :
acherryontop.com

My name/address was on the outside of the box. When I opened it up, the order was for a lady in Charlotte, NC. Her name & address were shown under "Bill to" and "Ship to" .

The truly puzzling thing about this is that I have never done business with this company, and in fact had never heard of them before this box arrived. My question is, how did they get my name and address, why was it in their system, and why did they send this box to me?

I've heard of goofs before, but how can you goof up to the extent that you are picking someone's name out of nowhere to send a package? Could this be a case of identity theft?
Would it be wise for me to contact LifeLock (I am a customer) and give them the details and share the name of the person on the order form with them?

Before I contact the the craft company or LifeLock, I wanted a little feedback from any of you that might have had this happen. I may just be paranoid after all the recent data breaches...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2017, 02:45 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's weird. I would be interested in hearing what you decide to do and what happens. Good luck.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2017, 02:51 PM   #3  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

That sounds amazing

A Cherry On Top has sponsored several Splitcoast events - have you ever won a prize in a challenge? They might have your shipping info if so.

I don't think it's identity theft - you wouldn't get a box of goodies if so

However, I have seen other people's information auto-fill on websites when I'm placing an order - as a matter of fact - MY info auto-filled on the Blick site once for a FRIEND of mine - which was freaky. So it might just be strange glitchy weirdness. Isn't the full moon coming?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2017, 02:52 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 161 Likes on 77 Posts

Don't know anything about how you would have received the box, but I can tell you I've ordered a couple times from A Cherry on Top. Easy transaction and I received all my stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

We'll I am relieved after reading all the comments that this doesn't sound like identity theft. Thank you for responding, and for mentioning that ACherryonTop is a legit company. And no, I haven't won any prizes on SCS, nor have I ever entered any of the contests on SCS, so I don't think they got my name/address that way.

Unfortunately, the box of goodies just happens to be something I would NEVER order, 6 bottles of spray acrylics. I don't even know what those are used for.
The company will no doubt want them returned, and the lady in NC is no doubt checking her mail box for it to arrive. Wait til she hears someone in Oregon got her stuff! :grin:

I'll contact the company tomorrow and see where I go from here.

Thanks again for responding so promptly to my plea for thoughts on this. Full moon does bring out some strange happenings, so I will go with that explaination! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2017, 04:50 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Maybe they have sister companies that share address info. I've heard of A cherry on top.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2017, 05:13 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
Maybe they have sister companies that share address info. I've heard of A cherry on top.
Or "trusted partners." (Hate that term, generally a way to put you on umpteen mailing lists).

I've only ordered from them a time or two and it's been positive. Here's their privacy statement: Privacy statement: A Cherry On Top

They have a Help section called, "I ordered product I didn't receive," but not "I received product I didn't order. : )

I'd be tempted to find the woman's phone number or email address and talk to her.

Have you checked your on-line credit card statement yet?

Look at one guy's experience (nothing bad!): https://www.rather-be-shopping.com/b...i-didnt-order/

Last edited by bjeans; 10-04-2017 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2017, 05:18 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post

They have a Help section called, "I ordered product I didn't receive," but not "I received product I didn't order. : )
LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2017, 06:05 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've ordered from them several times and will continue to order from them. They carry a lot of stuff that I can't find elsewhere.

I may be mistaken but I believe they have a sister company or are affiliated with Stickers Galore.

erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2017, 06:09 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Over the years did you ever place an order with stickersgalore.com? Acherryontop.com is a subsidiary of Stickers Galore Inc. When I scrapbooked before getting into card-making, I often ordered from stickergalore.com and then was introduced to acherryontop.com through email promotions from them. I LOVE LOVE LOVE acherryontop.com and order from them a few times a year. They have great customer service and should be able to help you!

Edit - I was composing this message when the person before me must have posted, we are saying the same thing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2017, 07:40 PM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

Nope, never ordered from Stickers Galore, either.

I've never been into scrapbooking, the closest I ever came to ordering from a scrapbook company is buying through Close to My Heart catalog parties that a friend would have. And that was 10 years ago. Puzzling to say the least.

I must say I do like bjeans idea of contacting the Dept "for products not ordered but received" ...snort! They better play nice or I'll crack into the product and play with it before returning it. Maybe they have a help line for that problem, as well!

I plan on asking them to share with me the last four digits of the credit card used for the purchase. I want to be certain that none of the cards that we have were used for it, and that's about the only way I will be able to know for certain. If they refuse, I will make a pest of myself until they comply ( a polite but determined pest!).

I'll report back after my call, just to close the loop on this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2017, 07:47 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Oh yes, Cherry on Top is a legit company for sure. I have ordered from them too.

This is weird and I can see why in today's world you would be concerned.

I would call them and explain this. Then ask them to tell you where they got your information from before asking them to send you the return label. If she says she does not know, tell her to start asking other people around her or for a supervisor.

Please let us know how it turned out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2017, 07:48 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Oops you already posted. I will wait to see what happens. Good idea on the CC numbers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2017, 08:03 PM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Oh yes, Cherry on Top is a legit company for sure. I have ordered from them too.

This is weird and I can see why in today's world you would be concerned.

I would call them and explain this. Then ask them to tell you where they got your information from before asking them to send you the return label. If she says she does not know, tell her to start asking other people around her or for a supervisor.

Please let us know how it turned out.
Excellent advice! I never would have thought to press them for that info about mailing address if they were reluctant to reveal it. But you are right, I kind of have the position of power here. They screwed up big time and they not only have a customer who didn't receive their order, they have a non-customer who's name/address was used inappropriately.

As I said it is a relief to hear from so many that the company is a respectable one. When I first checked out the website, I didn't use the "a" at the beginning of their name - I typed in cherryontop.com and a sex toy site came up!!!!!! Ugh, ugh, ugh! That just added to the whole weird-factor and is what inspired me to come here and ask for advice. Glad I did, you've all been very helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2017, 04:57 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

I wouldn;'t go to all the trouble of locating the person who the shipment is for. Call A Cherry On Top and let them deal with it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Or "trusted partners." (Hate that term, generally a way to put you on umpteen mailing lists).

I've only ordered from them a time or two and it's been positive. Here's their privacy statement: Privacy statement: A Cherry On Top

I'd be tempted to find the woman's phone number or email address and talk to her.

Have you checked your on-line credit card statement yet?

Look at one guy's experience (nothing bad!): https://www.rather-be-shopping.com/b...i-didnt-order/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2017, 05:09 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketdivaView Post
I wouldn;'t go to all the trouble of locating the person who the shipment is for. Call A Cherry On Top and let them deal with it.
I was kidding, having read too many Trixie Belden books when young. (Alternate to Nancy Drew.) But if someone was so inclined, a google search would take a minute. Not to call, just look. Snoop. Whatever. ; )

What I would do, if A Cherry On Top (note the "A" as per Susy!) didn't quickly provide info, would be to call the credit card bank(s) to ask about charges to the company and affiliate company, or look on line at the account(s) for mystery charges, since companies sometimes have a "trading as" name that isn't the name we recognize. More boring than playing amateur sleuth about the NC person though... wouldn't it be funny if she was a member here?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2017, 06:52 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Maybe someone is paying it forward? or just a gift? Have you done anything on SCS where you needed to give your address?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2017, 08:13 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

If order was shipped charge should have been posted to the charge card. I would check my charge card-all of them if you have more than one, for any charges before I would start demanding for A Cherry on top to give you charge card info.

I would let them handle the situation in contacting the other customer, it's not like she is around the corner from you. Personal if a stranger contacted me about an order they received with my info, I would be upset that they did not go to the company first.

But I certainly would press to find out how they got your info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2017, 08:27 AM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member

In the old days....I might have just forwarded it to the proper person and told ACOT and made sure I was not billed but these days as Leslie said...strangers, home info could spook people.

Like when you found a wallet on the street you could either try to call them to come get it or put it in the mailbox for the PO to return it. Now I would not trust it in the mailbox. (I didnt even know they would do that until I was over 50!)

Sad we have to think like this :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2017, 02:19 PM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

Hi everybody! Checking back in to report on my weird package experince.

As a preface, I was not possible to effectively check any unauthorized charges on my credit cards from this transaction because the packing slip in the box did not indicate the price of the items or the full amount charged for the order. Nor did it list the actual order date, only the shipping date.

Anyway, after gathering all my credit card numbers to have handy, I called A Cherry On Top and talked to Heidi, in Customer Service. I have to say she was not only pleasant, she was intelligent and able to put together the puzzle pieces within 2 minutes of telling her about the problem.

Her first guess was the correct one - there was a mixup in the outside label at their fulfillment center. She rattled off a list of companies that share this same fullfillment center, and when she got to JoAnn's", I knew she was on the right track. I had ordered from Joanns on Sept 28, it was shipped and not yet delivered. Sure enough, where I had sliced through on the label to open it, the return address in tiny print was JoAnns....

Like a do-do, I did not double check the return address on the outside label, only verified my name and address, and then relied on the inside packing slip for info on where the package originated. Duh! Problem solved!!!!!

Or so I thought...smart lady, Heidi advised me to contact JoAnn's and let them know what had happened. Well, let's just say that JoAnn's hires a different caliber of customer service representatives than A Cherry On Top. :rolleyes:

It took a bit of repeating to get through to the service rep that this was NOT a Fex Ex problem, it was not mislabeled by Fed Ex, they only delivered the dang package. The mixed up label happened at a the fulfillment center that Joanns shares with other craft companies....she was convinced that I was making it all up! This can't happen, because she had never heard of it happening. :confused: "They" will have to do an investigation, which may take 2 days...or so. When the investigation is completed, they will tell me what they have decided to do. She said they would no doubt cancel my order and refund my money... when I got a little hot about not only not getting my stuff, but also missing out on the fabulous sale I supposedly participated in, she assured me that they would redo the order. Good grief! It likely will be the end of Oct before I get this resolved, and finally get my Oxide inks....if the colors I ordered are still in stock, that is!

The blessing in all this is that it was not a case of identity theft! I am breathing a sigh of relief that it's just a mix up not nightmare!

Big thanks to each and every one of you who responded with suggestions and encouragement. I truly do appreciate your kindness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2017, 04:18 PM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

SCS should give a prize for the weirdest true story this month. ; ) After all, it's Halloween month. I vote for Suzy.

Glad it's not evil and hope you get your order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2017, 01:04 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

I'm so glad you got it sorted, Susy! Or at least on the way to being sorted.When I read it, it reminded me of a recent conversation in work. One of the guys had been expecting a 5-string banjo from the US, and tracking showed it as due for delivery. When the guy got out of the truck with something smaller than a shoebox, my colleague knew there was something wrong! His name and address, and the box even had "banjo" written on it, but he wouldn't take delivery. Especially as the delivery guy was requiring payment of import duty. Turned out it contained greeting cards from a charity. Now that I read your story, I bet it was something similar! Although I think the delivery company took ownership and resolved it.

Last edited by Cook22; 10-07-2017 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2017, 06:19 AM   #23  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I'm so glad you got it sorted, Susy! Or at least on the way to being sorted.When I read it, it reminded me of a recent conversation in work. One of the guys had been expecting a 5-string banjo from the US, and tracking showed it as due for delivery. When the guy got out of the truck with something smaller than a shoebox, my colleague knew there was something wrong! His name and address, and the box even had "banjo" written on it, but he wouldn't take delivery. Especially as the delivery guy was requiring payment of import duty. Turned out it contained greeting cards from a charity. Now that I read your story, I bet it was something similar! Although I think the delivery company took ownership and resolved it.
:shock: Banjo in a shoebox?! And the delivery guy really thought your friend would be stupid enough to pay import duty fees just to see what was inside? So smart of him to refuse delivery. This beats my weird package story by a mile! Ha...hope your friend will be treated to expedited delivery of a new banjo and will soon be strumming!

Last edited by Boss; 10-07-2017 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: Auto correct does NOT recognize the word banjo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2017, 08:35 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Wow, I'm picturing a really huge warehouse full of crafting supplies of every available type and brand. This warehouse is so big that it houses inventory for many different craft companies. It sounds like Fort Knox for crafters. Whew, my eyes are glazing over and I need a couple of deep breaths.

Seriously, I didn't realize that so many companies shared a warehouse like that. Fascinating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2017, 09:40 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

LOL!

Companies that aren't set up to handle their own shipping, send orders to fulfillment centers for packing/shipping. Like Amazon does fulfillment for tons of companies. I don't know where my brain was not thinking of that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2017, 07:43 PM   #26  
Proud Fan Club Member

Oozak is tapped into a place like that. But I am surprised to hear Joanns is given their size. I cant believe they dont have their own warehouse!

LOL yeah...Joann's C/S is very hit and miss in the grasping category.

But this is a good ending in that it isnt a thief, and you should still get your order, just late.

They wanted you to return the shipment right? They sent you a return label?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2017, 06:54 AM   #27  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Oozak is tapped into a place like that. But I am surprised to hear Joanns is given their size. I cant believe they dont have their own warehouse!

LOL yeah...Joann's C/S is very hit and miss in the grasping category.

But this is a good ending in that it isnt a thief, and you should still get your order, just late.

They wanted you to return the shipment right? They sent you a return label?
To address your question about whether A Cherrry on Top sent a return label. The Customer Service person politely asked me if I would mind hanging on the to shipment for a few days while they sorted out what needed to be done. I gave her my email and phone #. I kind of got the impression that they were going to determine if it was more cost effective for them to put in a claim with their fullfillment center or to provide me with a return shipping label.
Haven�t heard anything back from them yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2017, 04:29 PM   #28  
Forum Fanatic

Oh my, the saga continues! :shock:

I received a package from Joann’s ‘ with my stuff in it! This box was mailed the same day and the same exact time as the other box that contained product from another vendor. Both labels indicate they were mailed out on 9/27/17.

I called Joann’s and explained that my original order had arrived and that I needed to cancel the “investigation” that Joann’s was supposedly enacting. I am hoping like crazy that we caught it in time and that they don’t cancel my order and mail the stuff out again!!!! :rolleyes:

Anyway, right now I have my entire order of distress Oxide Inks From Joann’s in hand. Yeah! I also have the order of 6 acrylic misters from the misdirected order from A Cherry On Top.....don’t know if I will be getting a return postage label from them or if I am to keep them.

I am hoping the “saga”is at an end, but based on the storyline so far, I’m guessing there will be more to come. Stay tuned!

Last edited by Boss; 10-09-2017 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: Bad editing the first time!
Reply With Quote Likes