Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-26-2017, 06:09 AM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts
Default Sale bulk buying

We all know I luvs me a sale.

I have this habit (for good or bad) of buying bulk when a supply is on sale-like 3 jars of gold EP thinking "Basic color-that will go fast".

Also, if there is one thing I *dread/fear* in stamping, it is making cards on a Sat night and running out of something that will take days to get more of (if I even can since I buy so much on sale) causing a shut down. Too often I am running before the wind for time as it is. This will push me to buy "safety" qties.

I could get 10+ sheets of a DP thinking I will use it to make a holiday card run.

And then you find yourself with too much because you didn't do the project or that ribbon went farther than you expected....

I am better now in person, but online...still vulnerable.

Anyone else do this?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2017, 06:47 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep. Adhesive refills for me!

I literally have enough adhesive refills and foam tape to last me an entire year's worth of heavy paper crafting without running out. Yet every time I throw out a used-up refill, I feel tempted to go buy another five... And if the refills are on sale or I have a gift card? Forget stamps and inks, I go straight to the adhesive page. :lol:

I frequently worry about running out of something essential, too, which leads to having many backups of favorite things (like adhesive refills and enamel dots). I have to give myself pep talks about not needing to back up my backups just to be sure I won't run out of something.

And the funniest thing is, the times where I did unexpectedly run out of something (while crafting on the go, for example), I just got very creative and did without. I actually like the way some of those cards turned out better than the cards where I had all my stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2017, 07:43 AM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

And the funniest thing is, the times where I did unexpectedly run out of something (while crafting on the go, for example), I just got very creative and did without. I actually like the way some of those cards turned out better than the cards where I had all my stuff.

Exactly! Would it kill me to use a different DP in a holiday card? Lord knows I have a ton of different papers!

I think part of that is because I struggle so much to create a design that I freeze up at the idea of changing an element. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2017, 09:19 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do all of the above. If I am repeating a design assembly line style for a set of cards it is hard to change course if I run out of something. Silly maybe, but hey it's my hobby. I like a little backup. True also about liking something better when I had to make a detour. Embrace the quirks I say.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2017, 09:33 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

I think part of that is because I struggle so much to create a design that I freeze up at the idea of changing an element.
For me, it's having so many ideas/designs/etc in mind that I worry I'll run out of the supply before I make everything I want to make with it! It's the same kind of block, but coming from a different direction... Either way, it's not a happy place and I want crafting to be one big happy thing for me.

One thing I've found to be helpful lately is reminding myself that there's no card-making police. No one's going to bust down my door and handcuff me for making a bad card, no one's going to fine me for having too many unused stamps and paper in my stash, and no one's going to judge me for changing my plans. Without ever meaning to, so many of us put tremendous amounts of pressure on ourselves - and it often sprouts from a great place. You clean out and organize and feel like using up all those supplies or you find a great card design/technique/method and feel committed to do more, but then end up miserable after giving it a long try.

So, I've decided to give myself the permission to make mistakes, waste products and make bad cards. I make prototypes and cards-for-the-trash and intentionally bad cards that I can learn from. It's incredibly liberating and fun - at least until it becomes routine, and then I'll jump to doing something different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2017, 09:53 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeCardseaView Post
For me, it's having so many ideas/designs/etc in mind that I worry I'll run out of the supply before I make everything I want to make with it! It's the same kind of block, but coming from a different direction... Either way, it's not a happy place and I want crafting to be one big happy thing for me..

So, I've decided to give myself the permission to make mistakes, waste products and make bad cards. I make prototypes and cards-for-the-trash and intentionally bad cards that I can learn from. It's incredibly liberating and fun - at least until it becomes routine, and then I'll jump to doing something different.
Rings true. All about relaxing and having fun without "the tyranny of the shoulds" as someone described it. No grinches allowed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2017, 09:12 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am definitely a bulk buyer when it comes to ribbons and DSP that I love! I "hoard/collect/buy" these in multiples though not because I'm worried I'll need to run out on the spot or wait a few days to get more, but because items are discontinued or retired so often!!! And for some reason, these companies don't notify me in advance!

When I first started crafting, American Crafts only sold ribbon by the yard off big spools. I went back to buy more of my favorite designs from my LSS and suddenly they were no where. Not any of my LSS's sold them and I could not find them online. American Crafts switched to those little mini spools and then to those rolls with just a few yards on them. I still think I'm traumatized. It's been about 10 or so years, and I have a small cut of of my very favorite design left, and when I see it, I get a tinge of bitterness. Lol. So ribbons are my downfall... and these days it's especially in colors by SU.

However, I am getting over buying multiple sheets of patterned papers. I used to buy them in multiples of 6. Why? Because I am crazy, lol. I thought 6 would be more than I would ever need at the moment so I'd have some sheets to use now and some to use at a much later date when it's no longer made. UMMM except - I didn't take into account that even prettier papers would be made that I would want and "need" to buy. So now I have ridiculous amounts of patterned papers that I've outgrown or just could never make enough cards to use up! I tend to just buy paper pads now - two or three pads if I love them. And if they get discontinued, I don't stress because I know something else is about to be released that I will love even more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2017, 04:29 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine773View Post
However, I am getting over buying multiple sheets of patterned papers. I used to buy them in multiples of 6. Why? Because I am crazy, lol. I thought 6 would be more than I would ever need at the moment so I'd have some sheets to use now and some to use at a much later date when it's no longer made. UMMM except - I didn't take into account that even prettier papers would be made that I would want and "need" to buy. So now I have ridiculous amounts of patterned papers that I've outgrown or just could never make enough cards to use up! I tend to just buy paper pads now - two or three pads if I love them. And if they get discontinued, I don't stress because I know something else is about to be released that I will love even more!
THIS is why I don't buy multiples of ANYTHING! I have SO MUCH STUFF that I've had for way too long, saving it for "the perfect project". Yeah, right... That paper I've hung onto for so long? Yup - don't love it nearly as much now as when I bought it! Eyelets and brads, anyone? Enamel dots are easier and just as pretty (or prettier). And so on and on it goes...

I still need to USE my stuff instead of endlessly rearranging and organizing and indexing it, but that's a whole different thread, lol...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2017, 08:15 AM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

And for some reason, these companies don't notify me in advance!:smile:

Right? Why dont they give a girl some warning! LOL.
Some do. Lawn Fawn right now has a sale on discontinued, including paper-but you have to be signed up to get the emails. I dont think there is a code.

LOL Sue...I am a soul sister in the never ending re-arranging arena. I was just in PA Dutch country where I buy the thin clear opaque cutting boards 2/buck (by me they are 4 ea) which I cut up all year as storage dividers. Home 4 days and already cutting for the stencil box. As you said, if I just used it up, I wouldnt have to worry about re-orging it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2017, 09:18 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
THIS is why I don't buy multiples of ANYTHING! I have SO MUCH STUFF that I've had for way too long, saving it for "the perfect project". Yeah, right... That paper I've hung onto for so long? Yup - don't love it nearly as much now as when I bought it! Eyelets and brads, anyone? Enamel dots are easier and just as pretty (or prettier). And so on and on it goes...

I still need to USE my stuff instead of endlessly rearranging and organizing and indexing it, but that's a whole different thread, lol...
I liked this post-rings true. Reorganizing is another whole hobby I guess.

It's kind of weird how it goes. Buying multiples or in bulk of something I really like at the moment almost guarantees I won't use it. Stuff like glue and white cardstock are the exceptions. Patterned paper, just no.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2017, 09:49 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Here's another thing I noticed... I get color crazy and head-over-heels with specific palettes.

Last year, I was obsessed with peach, navy and mint. I was so drawn to them that I bought a ton of peachy, navy and minty things. Paper, cardstock, stickers, you name it!

Except, I'm now kind of over that combo (crushing on gray, yellow and blue atm) and I haven't even made a dent in all the stuff I bought...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2017, 05:58 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to buy EVERYTHING!! Yes I DO need 3 bottles of silver embossing powder; please give me all those polka-dot patterned papers you have left. More glue dots, thank you. I just love that card that so-in-so made, so I will take every stamp and die they used to make it.

And like many of you are saying, I find I don't like that PP anymore, but I never used it when I did love it, because I did not want to run out. And yes, some embossing powder can go bad, it is all clumpy and does not stick to my project and won't heat very well. And guess what- Brass Embossing powder by Hero Arts is the same as Antique Gold by Simon says stamp. And all the stuff to make that card I saw? What card was it again?
Over and over I did this for years. And re-organizing? I was constantly doing it.

What changed for me: we moved our computer/craft room. Now I have this new space I love, and want it to look pretty. So after re-reading the KonMari book, I decided to make a change. I was also laid-off, so my crafty budget went to almost nothing. What to do?

I went through almost all my stuff and "de-cluttered": doubles, stuff I didn't use, stuff that didn't spark joy, stuff that made me feel bad for wasting money on it in the first place, etc... And let me tell you; I started in January of this year (well, I started to really put in an effort, I had been buying and selling my stuff for years) and I am almost done. I have sold or donated about 20 boxes ( and I literally mean 20 boxes) and not small shoe boxes either, I mean big boxes that hold 12x12 paper and copy paper sized boxes. I went through almost every single wood stamp I had (I still have to do Halloween and Christmas) and stamped every image on scrap paper to see if I liked it. I went from 43 cases (I use the new Stampin up cases that could hold VCR tapes) to 18.

All my SU wood sets are broken up (except Lovely as a tree) because when I want a thank you sentiment, I don't want to search through every set; and Evernote is not for me. I now have one box of wood stamps left that is waiting to go. I like to keep my stuff for a while before I get rid of it, not what KonMari says, but I need to be sure.

It is much easier now to organize my stuff for good. All of my like items are together and accessible, so I won't buy duplicates. Having all of my adhesives in 2 drawers makes me realize I won't need to buy more for a few years. My ribbons are all neat and tidy. They have a spot and I won't need to organize them again.

If I see a card by so-in-so I love, I go through my stuff and re-create it with what I have and that is an awesome thing. Makes me really appreciate what I have and I have not had to buy any new crafty items for 2 months now.

Sorry about the long post, I have lots of time now...
This is how I handled my bulk-buying/over buying issue-it may not work for you but hopefully you find it a little helpful and maybe makes you laugh. And by no means am I saying that I now think buying is bad. I have a list going of stuff I want and I may buy it all when I get a new job-who knows?

Last edited by staceylovespaper; 09-30-2017 at 06:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2017, 06:08 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

Stacey, this is THE most valid post I've read on any of these threads! Yes, some/all of the sentiments have been expressed elsewhere, but you've nailed every point in one post. I purge on an almost constant basis because I still have TOO MUCH STUFF!

My one stumbling block is this: I don't play with my toys often enough to know what I will truly love and use, so I keep more of it than I should "until I get a chance to see"... I just need to get in there and MAKE THINGS, so I know what to keep and what to move out into the flow!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2017, 06:30 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sue, thank you so much!!!

Making time to play with everything is probably one of my biggest challenges. There is always something else I should be doing.

Hope you have a great weekend and make something awesome!!

Last edited by staceylovespaper; 09-30-2017 at 06:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2017, 07:27 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

Stacey, such a great post. You really captured it. Your step by step to “freedom” is a good map. I am working toward owning my hobby instead of it owning me. I have done all of the purging but am stuck on the recreating with what I own rather than buying the new usually floral stamp set featured on the latest blog. Sounds very doable but also apparently more rewarding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2017, 01:46 PM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Stacey you made me smile. (you want everything someone used to make a card) I have a sheet on my excel wishlist of stuff I want because I saw it here in the gallery with a link to the card....so I go back and look at it repeatedly before I decide.....I haven't looked at it lately come to think of it.

It is cool to shop your own stash and find what you need to make a card!

I think of it as "that one" syndrome.

I could have 15 DPs with fall leaves of various sizes and tree types, 10 asst leaf BG stamps, EFs, and cover a card dies....leaves out the whazoo. Could be very similar.

But I want THAT one in the card someone else made!!

WTHeck is that about?? Talk about inner child take over!

I suffered from this in the beginning. Now I am way way better about it, TG because a person can go broke like that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2017, 04:22 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
Stacey, such a great post. You really captured it. Your step by step to �freedom� is a good map. I am working toward owning my hobby instead of it owning me. I have done all of the purging but am stuck on the recreating with what I own rather than buying the new usually floral stamp set featured on the latest blog. Sounds very doable but also apparently more rewarding.

Mary,

Thank you! I agree with your floral issue! I only have a few in my stash right now, so here is what I do: avoid them I also remember that my coloring skills are no where near what I see, so I am trying to practice that first. Good luck to you!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2017, 04:30 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Stacey you made me smile. (you want everything someone used to make a card) I have a sheet on my excel wishlist of stuff I want because I saw it here in the gallery with a link to the card....so I go back and look at it repeatedly before I decide.....I haven't looked at it lately come to think of it.

It is cool to shop your own stash and find what you need to make a card!

I think of it as "that one" syndrome.

I could have 15 DPs with fall leaves of various sizes and tree types, 10 asst leaf BG stamps, EFs, and cover a card dies....leaves out the whazoo. Could be very similar.

But I want THAT one in the card someone else made!!

WTHeck is that about?? Talk about inner child take over!

I suffered from this in the beginning. Now I am way way better about it, TG because a person can go broke like that!

You are speaking my language! Especially when you mention leaves- those are my downfall. I love them all!!! But ask me how many of them I have used in the last year?

I like your idea of linking back to the original idea. I have a list of stuff I want, but I only write down the product, not where I saw it. Sometimes I go back to a picture I saved on Pinterest and wonder "why did I save that?" I may find if I go back to that specific post, it may not hold the same excitement as the first time I saw it. Just like shopping. Sometimes I think about it for a while and if I don't forget about it, I buy it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2017, 08:07 AM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

I can honestly identify with every one of these posts! For me, the obsession was with embossing powders. Specifically PSX and also Orbitz by Comotion. Remember them? They had these cool containers shaped like flying saucers. They had the most hip sounding names, but because of their shape, were terrible trying to stack them on shelves! They always fell down!

When I heard PSX was going out of business, every time I stopped at ANY place that had them...I bought...and bought...and bought. I still have them and have more than enough Detail Brass, Woven Tapestry, Desert Tapestry, Claret Tapestry, Verdigris, Holographic, Clear, ...etc than I'll ever use! Any now with Ranger and Tonic and all the others with THEIR ep colors...well, you can see where this is going. This year I've really tried to use all I have to make way for new companies and have made some headway. Still, I have more than enough!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2017, 02:50 PM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

I love EPs too. Maybe try to use them as a BG pattern if you want to use it up? Something with a lot of solid bits like a med dot pattern or stripes or something? I bet it would be beautiful.

I missed the flying saucer EPs....they sound cool!

I gave away some of my extras (and gasp! duplicate glitters) but you said it. New colors every year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2017, 12:55 AM   #21  
Inking Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a card stock hoarder along with embossing powders, glitters, etc.
If I have something for 6 months or more, or items I no longer want; it is donated to a local organization or to someone who is just starting out in card making.
It's a win, win situation. I'm helping someone else out plus it gives me more room for supplies that I know I will actually use and / or need and not buying more than what I will use in a month's time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2017, 05:23 AM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member

That sounds very organized!

I have to admit-I have NO idea how long I have things. It's either new/awhile/forever.
6 months (heck 2 years) goes by so fast for me now....I dont think I could do that. Kudos to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2017, 08:46 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

We have no scrapbooking stores in the Denver area. I have to go 60 miles to get to one. Since Michael's & JoAnn doesn't carry many good designer papers and other goodies if I go the 60 miles I do buy in bulk. I find it very hard to pick matching paper shopping online unless it is from the same company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2017, 09:13 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

So, I gave myself a small monthly budget until the end of the year just to keep spending in check. I've already spent my October budget. With one half, I got a set of my favorite distress colors in oxide. And the second half went to adhesive refills. *sigh*

In my defense, both of them were a very good deal. But, still... Can't stop buying adhesive. :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2017, 10:11 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been stamping for about 30 years so I have way too much stuff. I have fallen prey to holding onto items I do not use. I have reorganized so many times. I really admire Stacy for getting the final solution. My small success is not buying unless I think I will really use the item. I have found that buying on sale just because it was cheap is the stuff I never use. The only bulk items I bought recently are some hot buy paper pads at Michaels while traveling. I live in Hawaii. There are no craft stores and joann.com takes a month to arrive. Most other online stores charge way too much shipping. I bought the pads because I am now making mini albums and can use most or all of the pad. Also, I admit I love paper. That is my biggest hoard and takes up the most space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2017, 11:05 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Because I sell my mini albums at craft shows, I always buy my consumable supplies, such as all adhesives, colored seam binding rolls, etc. in bulk. I don't like having to stop production because I run out of a vital item. I anticipate major sales and prepare ahead for the funds. Example: Miracle Tape, sold by Viva Las Vegastamps, is 40% off every February. Solid color cardstock is purchased in bulk, but to match collection pads already owned. Watch JoAnn's for some really fantastic per sheet pricing sales! It's not unusual for me to buy 200 sheets at a time, when the price is exceptionally low! Yes, buying in bulk creates storage challenges, but it's worth the effort. Nothing ever goes to waste around here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2017, 03:06 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts

vestamc, I feel your pain. I live on the Big Island, so when I travel I usually end up coming home with a suitcase full of paper pads and stuff from Joann's and Michael's. Oh, and Hobby Lobby! In a way I think it's lucky we don't have any of those stores here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2017, 07:35 PM   #28  
Proud Fan Club Member

I think it is terrible in this day and age that it takes stuff a month to get to HI. I have gotten things from there in 10 days. What is going on??

If Amazon ever starts with the drones...LOL "Drones over the ocean..." .could be a song...

@merollin : Is that 200 sheets of a single pattern you like or a mixed bag? Either way, it's a bunch! I admire your organization to know when an item will be "in season" aka on sale every year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2017, 08:04 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

That's 200 sheets of various solid colors. I bring in whatever designer paper pad collections I've found on sale, standing in front of the racks to match all the colors. I usually buy at least 6 sheets of every color. That gives me plenty to match future projects when paper by the piece isn't on sale. I've learned to take the time to sit at the pattern table and align all the price tags and bar codes...really helps the poor cashier that gets to ring up my items. Each and every sheet has to be scanned into the computer! It's not unusual for the receipt to be 8 feet long! I figure JoAnn's is using that cheap price as a loss leader, that I'll buy other things, too. It all depends on what I see on my way to the paper racks. The super great price only happens a couple times a year...look for coupons on patriotic holidays. Stock up and save!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2017, 08:32 AM   #30  
Proud Fan Club Member

Ok I get it! I was just matching some solids with some patterns in my stash and thinking about that. I dont normally but I had bought these esp for that.

That would take me a LONG time to pick and sort and arrange for the cashier. Not the worst way to spend an afternoon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2017, 10:05 AM   #31  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by vestamcView Post
I have been stamping for about 30 years so I have way too much stuff. I have fallen prey to holding onto items I do not use. I have reorganized so many times. I really admire Stacy for getting the final solution. My small success is not buying unless I think I will really use the item. I have found that buying on sale just because it was cheap is the stuff I never use. The only bulk items I bought recently are some hot buy paper pads at Michaels while traveling. I live in Hawaii. There are no craft stores and joann.com takes a month to arrive. Most other online stores charge way too much shipping. I bought the pads because I am now making mini albums and can use most or all of the pad. Also, I admit I love paper. That is my biggest hoard and takes up the most space.

I can relate vestamc. I live in the Caribbean and I usually get to the US once a year for work. I used to visit Michaels and Joann stores but I find it best to watch for a big sale on line (Joann.com) and ship it to a relative or friend until I get there to pick it up.

When I first started scrapbooking, I loved paper, especially travel paper as the project that led me to scrapbooking was travel related. However, the paper was accumulating faster than I was using it!!! So I turned to making cards but that requires stamps and ink and embossing powder. You can see the rabbit hole opening up.

The biggest cure was to put all of my stamps together on the floor. I had more that I had not used than those I had. Even though I bought them on sale and within my budget it still felt wasteful. So now, I go back to those old videos that tempted me in the first place. I collect them as playlists in Youtube and I plan to make every variation of those cards so that I can practice stamping and use up my supplies.

I like your idea of making mini albums to use the paper stash, but who will buy these where I live.....Christmas gifts?!?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Using up patterned paper

I definitely find my tastes changing in patterned papers. But I've decided to use the ones I don't care for anyway. And I sometimes find myself loving the results! A patterned layer underneath something else can look quite different with only the edges showing. I also know that something not to my personal taste can still appeal to someone else. If you have stamping friends, you can also swap "extras" with them - and it doesn't necessarily have to be paper for paper. I have some embellishments that I overbought, too (imagine that!) What seems old and stale to me (because I've looked at it so many times) may look fresh and interesting to someone else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2017, 05:01 PM   #33  
Proud Fan Club Member

I just did it again. Crafter's Companion had a sale...and I got a bunch of cling and a big pack of glossy paper...the cling will move. The glossy I will probably have for years but I dont really care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2017, 05:59 AM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

Being retired I finally had time to reorganize. I broke open every SU designer paper pack and went through every paper pad I had purchased elsewhere. I kept only the sheets I love and sold the rest for 10 cents a sheet to my friends. I was still left with a large stack so I gave it away. I LOVE knowing what I own and knowing where it is. Plus, what I own is what I LOVE. Its a good thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2017, 09:33 AM   #35  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Kon-mari supplies

Quote:

Originally Posted by postmarkView Post
Being retired I finally had time to reorganize. I broke open every SU designer paper pack and went through every paper pad I had purchased elsewhere. I kept only the sheets I love and sold the rest for 10 cents a sheet to my friends. I was still left with a large stack so I gave it away. I LOVE knowing what I own and knowing where it is. Plus, what I own is what I LOVE. Its a good thing.
It sounds like you did a Kon-mari (Marie Kondo's Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up) on your paper! I would like to try the method when I next vacation at home. Your enthusiasm is encouragement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #36  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

I think we should all get awards for keeping the economy going, lol......

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2017, 06:57 AM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree- it's a hard job, but somebody's got to do it, right?!? I think it's my patriotic duty to help our economy out!!! 😁
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2017, 04:34 PM   #38  
Proud Fan Club Member

It really is the best of both worlds-we have become a consumer society-but we are still MAKING things too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2017, 04:52 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 242 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeCardseaView Post
Yep. Adhesive refills for me!

I literally have enough adhesive refills and foam tape to last me an entire year's worth of heavy paper crafting without running out. Yet every time I throw out a used-up refill, I feel tempted to go buy another five... And if the refills are on sale or I have a gift card? Forget stamps and inks, I go straight to the adhesive page. :lol:

I frequently worry about running out of something essential, too, which leads to having many backups of favorite things (like adhesive refills and enamel dots). I have to give myself pep talks about not needing to back up my backups just to be sure I won't run out of something.

Adhesive tape is what I stock up on. I use coupons on that if I don't happen to need anything else. Our town is rather small, so all the sales ladies know me and often comment, you sure do tape a lot!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2017, 01:19 PM   #40  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That Marie Kondo book changed my life. The purge I did of my craft room afterwards made a big difference in how I feel in there.

Although I would caution people – you can over-purge once you get into the giddy thrill of the process. I did get rid of a few things I wish I hadn't. I can see now that I was on the fence about them, and should have put them in a box and hidden them.

That all said, I do have a fear of running out of certain colors of cardstock. There's about six colors that I use so constantly that I have to know I have plenty in. More than I need. I don't make that many cards, frankly.

Then there are some things that are problematic because you have to use them or they dry up. I bought only three colors of Nuvo Embellishment Mousse, the ones I thought I would use a lot, and I love the stuff, but I can't use it fast enough, so I'm sure one day I'll find they have turned hard on me.
Reply With Quote Likes