Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question My shameful confession

Here it is: I never know quite what to do with stamps. I love stamps. Some of the projects I see that people have done with them are mind-blowing. I have quite a few at home. In fact, a boxful that I may either donate to the local charity or try and sell. I have sold some I wasn't using. I'm down to very few.

I always feel like I have the "wrong" stamps. Like, an image, say, of a little girl with a balloon. How many times can I use that without getting bored to death? So I've tried getting more "abstract" designs. I still don't quite know what to do with them.

Trouble is, I keep falling in love with them. Esp. Tim Holtz's stamps. Now I've heard about theTim Holtz Stamping Platform. Oh my...it would eliminate those problems like those little lines you get when you pressed down too hard with your hand and the ink on the non-design part of the stamp got onto your project. Or lining up words (not that I make a lot of cards or use letters much).

It's like I'm some sort of aspiring stamper. Always casting around for my style. I do a lot of art journaling, and I love tags. Lately I've been working on a couple of handbook small journals. Oh, and I do mail art.

Am I making sense? I know some folks have ginormous collections of stamps and piles of ink pads. Mine just sort of sit in a box.

Anyone have any advice? Thank yo for listening.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2017, 02:32 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Tim Holtz platform is fabulous! It will make stamping easier for you!

I will look at a die I have. I find the name of it, then google and pinterest it to get ideas on how to use it.

I have created folders on my desktop for pictures I have saved of things I want to make using what I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Pinterest is a great way to get ideas on how to use a stamp in new ways.

I use a lesson I learned in my gift basket business- if a product can't be used for 3 different themed baskets, then don't buy it. The same with stamps, if you can't use it for more than say a child's birthday ( using your example), then don't purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2017, 04:08 PM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

When I started stamping (almost 25 years ago) I was the same way. I found a lot of stamps that I LOVED, but my artistic side just wasn't there. It actually looked like a little kid had done it. But, with time and practice, it got easier and the results were MUCH better. When I would go to stampin' up parties, I would HAVE to make my card JUST LIKE THE DEMONSTRATORS because I didn't trust myself to be creative enough to make little changes. Over time, that changed too. I can now see how I want to make mine different enough but similar. Like gingerd and basket diva stated above, Pinterest, is a GREAT resource to go to. I even get ideas from here as well. Don't give up or get frustrated. It really does get easier the more you do. It's amazing how doing something simple like changing the color scheme can make a difference too. Another good idea is to go to any classes that are offered by demonstrators or even craft supply stores like Michaels. Good luck and stick with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2017, 06:44 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964View Post

It's like I'm some sort of aspiring stamper. Always casting around for my style. I do a lot of art journaling, and I love tags. Lately I've been working on a couple of handbook small journals. Oh, and I do mail art.

Am I making sense? I know some folks have ginormous collections of stamps and piles of ink pads. Mine just sort of sit in a box.

Anyone have any advice? Thank yo for listening.
You're making perfect sense. You're dreaming --like the good artists I know do. They're open to inspiration, ideas, and different styles. Some of the choices we make in this art/craft area aren't totally conscious. Ideas come to us from who knows where, and we love them more when they appear on their own out of the blue like small miracles. I think you're waiting for inspiration, which I think you will certainly have if you remain open like this. Momentary uncertainty is a small price to pay for finding your artistic direction!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2017, 10:50 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I completely understand too. I'm a little different in that I feel boxed into my own style. I see all these AMAZING and DETAILED cards and I just admire them in awe and try to wrap my brain around how they do that. Or came up with it in the first place! Then I of course buy the products to try and do something similar. But I never actually end up making them. It's like I feel this internal constraint to not sway from what I know. It's silly I know. Art is about exploring and making mistakes and doing what you love. So right now - I'm making things other than cards. It's like I have to step outside of my own inner restrictive box - and physically take things of the box where I have all the supplies I haven't used - and just make it happen!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Finding a design you like in the places mentioned is a great place to start. Substitute the stamps you have for the design you like and either copy someone's card or change it a bit to make it your own. Sometimes just stamping the design or playing around with coloring what you have stamped will lead you to a new creative vision.

There are many talented bloggers and designers, and Youtube has many great tutorials. I find lots of inspiration from these sources, too.

Since you don't mention being a card maker maybe you need to stamp on your tags or in your art journals instead. Like everyone has advised, don't give up unless you really find no joy in stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2017, 02:10 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

People have given great advice. Maybe try stamping in your art journal, or on a tag - just one stamp on top of whatever colors you already put down. I'm not a big Pinterest person, but will google a stamp and then select "Images" at the top of the page to see what others have done with a stamp.

And there's nothing wrong with copying someone else's idea - or part of it - as a starting point, if you're really drawn to it. I've found even if I intend to copy an idea as is, partway through it changes and I add my own twist. And if I do it again, something else changes - it's a progression. Just change one element, then another - maybe color, maybe where the sentiment sits, maybe moving the focal point. It becomes yours.

I think finding what does not work and eliminating what doesn't ring your chimes is such an important and positive part of the process, shaking off what isn't you.

And don't think it comes super easily to the best card makers. One of my favorite videographers/card makers occasionally reminds us of the cards she tosses and the self-doubt and re-takes. We just see the finished product.

Practice makes it easier and easier. And sometimes just play without any outcome in mind. If you're journaling and doing other paper crafts you're partway there, and I bet further than you think.

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Two things: Lydia's (UnderstandBlue) idea of "creating for the trash" and Picasso's reminder that "Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working"...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2017, 04:29 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

BJeans has really good advice - figuring out what works you and what doesn't. Kind of like an elimination process / trial & error. For me, I wanted to get into distress inks so much. They are and were everywhere and are just gorgeous. But I've come to accept it - I absolutely love what others do with the sponges and daubers, but it's just not for me right now. I have a few mini distress pads that I keep in hand in case I feel inspired to play with them one day, but I keep them out of sight and focus on what suits me best. I've had my fair share of epic fails were certain things, you just have to try out different things until you find what's right for you. I struggle with this, but don't put pressure on yourself to make things perfect or look exactly like some of the more adventurous card makers out there. I know for me, sometimes I get inspiredly by too many things - and I have so many ideas running around my head, that I end up not being able to make a thing. I have to step away from the internet and create from my my mind and my heart. I find that helps me a lot - finding a balance between the two.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2017, 04:55 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine773View Post
BJeans has really good advice - figuring out what works you and what doesn't. Kind of like an elimination process / trial & error. For me, I wanted to get into distress inks so much. They are and were everywhere and are just gorgeous. But I've come to accept it - I absolutely love what others do with the sponges and daubers, but it's just not for me right now. I have a few mini distress pads that I keep in hand in case I feel inspired to play with them one day, but I keep them out of sight and focus on what suits me best. I've had my fair share of epic fails were certain things, you just have to try out different things until you find what's right for you. I struggle with this, but don't put pressure on yourself to make things perfect or look exactly like some of the more adventurous card makers out there. I know for me, sometimes I get inspiredly by too many things - and I have so many ideas running around my head, that I end up not being able to make a thing. I have to step away from the internet and create from my my mind and my heart. I find that helps me a lot - finding a balance between the two.
One word: Oxides. ;) IF a problem with Distress was blending, that is. Distress Oxides can turn us into pros. I think I was channeling Laura Bassen (Doublestick Heaven) the first time using them. I was in a line at an LSS (that sadly, is closing), and a couple of us were encouraging someone in line to try Oxides. The other woman excitedly told our recruit, "And I don't even have to start off the page!" Then again, like anything, they're not for everyone.

And I know this will sound silly or woo woo, but finding out that something is not our cuppa, that we aren't comfortable with it, can be so positive because it brings us a step closer to what is truly ours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2017, 09:54 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I read a book about creativity (sorry can't remember what it was called) and the author said that when you start doing a craft, you should first try to do the absolute ugliest thing you can think of. Get it out of the way, straight away!

It is kindof silly advice, but sometimes I do it because it helps decrease the pressure. You should know that many people who publish their work on blogs, forums and pinterest did not make that card on the first try. Like someone else said, a lot of us practice for the trash and then come up with something we like after a little bit. It can be fun that way!

Today I published my card on my blog, and I included a photo of some of my practice attempts. I, actually, am surprised if I ever make something right the first time.

So anyhow, keep trying! The fun is in the doing, whether you keep it or throw it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2017, 08:57 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

That really is a great approach! Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketdivaView Post

I use a lesson I learned in my gift basket business- if a product can't be used for 3 different themed baskets, then don't buy it. The same with stamps, if you can't use it for more than say a child's birthday ( using your example), then don't purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2017, 09:05 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words and encouragement. I do tend to be very, very hard on myself and a perfectionist. And of course, I'll see what someone like Tim Holtz has done and I think I should be able to do it just as easily! I wonder how much of HIS practice stuff ends up in the trash. LOL

I've been thinking of trying Distress Oxides. I was never thrilled with the regular Distress Inks. Sometimes the pads seemed very dry and the colors MEH. But I've been really getting into Distress Stains and Paints, as well as the Markers and Crayons, and maybe I'll take a leap into the Oxides. Start with two or three colors and see what works for me.

Experimentation is the key! Thank you again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2017, 06:27 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Sorry to be the first to inform you, but you are normal. Many of us have had your experience. Since I discovered digital stamps, I rarely use "real" stamps anymore. It only took me one hundred fifty stamp sets to discover my true process.

One of the reason I like stamping is because it's only paper. If I make it and I don't like I throw it away. If I don't love it, it's trash. It took me a while to learn that. Crafting doesn't mean you have to use everything you create. We only see Michelangelo's successes, but in a museum in his home town there are almost 50 statutes and numerous paintings that he abandoned because he couldn't make the idea work.

Picasso dabbled into many art forms it's hard to classify his true genius, so don't feel bad that you are discovering all the things you can do with stamps. Trust your enthusiasm to take you to your passion.

Be patient with yourself. There's no quota to fill. The object is fun.

Sorry to sound like your Mother.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2017, 08:27 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinneappleView Post
Sorry to be the first to inform you, but you are normal. Many of us have had your experience. Since I discovered digital stamps, I rarely use "real" stamps anymore. It only took me one hundred fifty stamp sets to discover my true process.

One of the reason I like stamping is because it's only paper. If I make it and I don't like I throw it away. If I don't love it, it's trash. It took me a while to learn that. Crafting doesn't mean you have to use everything you create. We only see Michelangelo's successes, but in a museum in his home town there are almost 50 statutes and numerous paintings that he abandoned because he couldn't make the idea work.

Picasso dabbled into many art forms it's hard to classify his true genius, so don't feel bad that you are discovering all the things you can do with stamps. Trust your enthusiasm to take you to your passion.

Be patient with yourself. There's no quota to fill. The object is fun.

Sorry to sound like your Mother.

I know that I'm not the intended target of this thread, but these words resonated with me and I wanted to let you know. AND...you don't sound like somebody's mom - more like an encouraging friend...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2017, 11:55 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

All these comments are ringing true for me too! It is getting easier to just throw it away and move on if it does not turn out. At first, I could not do it but it gets easier as you practice. It can't be perfect first time. I too like to look for inspiration on Pinterest; created a folder for myself for just inspiration for cards I was drawn to. I don't copy a card but it gives me a start..starts my brain turning and looking into the supplies I have. I follow lots of blogs and videos and have learned to create through them and finding out the best tools, products and vendors through this forum/ It is a process. Love all the things that get shared here...a big learning experience.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2017, 02:58 PM   #18  
Inking Addict

Go to Pinterest and search around for ideas using the stamps you have. You can get some basic ideas and then get a place to start. It's got to be fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2017, 09:01 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

I think you should sign up for some swaps. Just find some simple swaps. It really helped me to get better and better. I wanted to turn in my best work - and I'm sure I've done hundreds of swaps over the years. Some of the ones I received back were better and some were worse, but is been a good experience over many years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2017, 10:14 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I look at the manufacturer site on the page where they sell the stamp set. Most companies have tons of ideas.

I also save ideas I see while reading blogs to a Pinterest board when I own (or plan on buying) the stamps so I can remember why I loved it so much!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2017, 07:41 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 219 Likes on 158 Posts

A couple things I learned early on in my papercrafting/stamping obsession: When stamping, always remember that paper has two sides; if you don't like what you just stamped, turn it over & stamp the other side. :-) The other thing, is, it's just PAPER--it will recycle if you really don't like it, or you can save it for another project that might come up. I only post pic's of the cards I'm really satisfied with...and I actually have an "Ugly Card" folder on my computer where I keep pic's of my 'ugly' cards, so that maybe someday I'll be inspired to improve on them...or not! :lol:

I think the best thing to do is just dive in & "do"! Watch some of the great tutorials here on SCS for inspiration, get out your stamps & ink & just play around, make a mess, & you might be surprised at what will jump out at you. You'll find a "style" eventually, or maybe several that appeal.

Just have fun!!
"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, ..." ~~1 Thess. 4:11 (NIV)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2017, 08:18 AM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

For inspiration I love Pinterest. I can search by theme or stamp set. I have a board that I save all my card inspirations to. Also keep in mind that inspiration can come from something other than cards. I may find a picture of a lamp that makes me want to recreate the color combo or design so I will save those pictures on to my inspiration board as well. I've been stamping for about 14 years and there are still so many days I struggle with inspiration. Don't let it get you down. This is supposed to be FUN!

Also as an owner of both the MISTI and Tim Holtz Platform I thought I would share that both are fantastic products. I found that with the platform, you need to lay a sheet of foam down when using clear stamps otherwise the image is not so great. Once I put down some foam it was fantastic and even with the additional purchase of the foam, the price point is so much better than the MISTI.

My Gallery

"Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2017, 09:47 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

I'll add my comment that no one sounds like my mom on here!

I had heard that thing about adding foam to the Holtz Platform. What sort of foam do you mean--the type they sell in the kids' dept. at Michael's, like fun foam?

I'm very very tempted...there are at least two places with that item on sale. Not to mention the Distress oxides on sale.

Heaven help me...I just got a small box of Distress paints from Blitsy last week...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2017, 12:15 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

I like a grid on the base of my stamping platform so added one that I purchased in the quilting department. It also added a little extra thickness so you might not need the foam sheet. Just an idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2017, 04:47 AM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I am usually disappointed in my failed attempts, but occasionally I'm able to turn them into something different. I've seen so many gorgeous SU Wetlands cards, but when I tried making a birthday card with it, I thought the Vanilla, Lost Lagoon, and Soft Suede weren't as "happy" as I'd hoped...so I added a Thinking of You sentiment and it made a wonderful masculine sympathy card. Another time, my attempt at SU Gorgeous Grunge background didn't work for what I wanted then (can't remember now what that was), because all I could think of when I saw it was a speckled Easter egg...so that's what it became. These are the exceptions to the rule, but try to look at them differently.

Also remember a lot of us are too hard on ourselves. I often feel like trying my own variation of something I've seen leaves me feeling like mine isn't as good. But my friend who recreates cards exactly likes my creativity...while I think her cards look more professional. But either way is good because someone looking at your end result doesn't see the flaws you do because they don't see what you were trying to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2017, 04:56 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

And for card background failures, consider using parts of them for die cuts, strips, or other elements. If you make a little viewfinder you can look for beautiful spots. They will be there, promise.

Viewfinder: with a craft knife/Exacto, cut a little rectangle in an index card or piece of chipboard. It could be 2"X1", 1"x1", 3"x3/4" - whatever you like - or have more than one. Just hold it slightly above your piece and move it around to search for the surprises.

In a class making small mini books out of Gelli plate prints, I was ready to toss my clean-up sheet - just used to pull the last bits of paint off of the Gelli plate. The instructor yelled over to stop and said not to dare throw that away. End result: a piece of that "ugly" sheet became the cover (over chipboard) for the mini book. : ) She even provided a little viewfinder for each of us to search for pretty areas. Lesson learned.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2017, 05:43 AM   #27  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the viewfinder instructions...I'll make one today!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2017, 06:28 AM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by vgpetersonView Post
Thanks for the viewfinder instructions...I'll make one today!
Sure. : ) And remember photo slides? They come in a little plastic piece that makes a good viewfinder. There are also instructions on line how to make a viewfinder that opens/closes to make different sizes, but since I'm not using it for photography to locate outdoor photo shots, an index card or piece of chipboard works fine for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2017, 10:52 AM   #29  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Very helpful thread ... we are our toughest critics. For anyone interested, there is a constructive criticism thread on Splitcoast...

Constructive Criticism - need a little help with your card? by joyfullyhis at Splitcoaststampers

Happy (and I do mean Happy) Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2017, 11:39 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine773View Post
BJeans has really good advice.
YES! Always does.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:52 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I love stamping and I absolutely loathe it. It took a long time for me to admit that because I felt guilty.

I don't like making stamped cards. I detest it. I love making cards. I love collecting beautiful ephemera and making my own cards with it. I love setting down to draw and paint my own cards. When I set down to stamp a card it feels forced and fake to me. Not that I think making stamped cards is fake. It feels like I am not being me. That is why I detest it.

When I set down with my stamps I make embellishments, I make my own unique ephemera. You wrote you love to make tags. There you go. That is what you do and you get in your zone and you do it your way not Pinterest way. Pinterest is inspiration not desperation. Embellishment making is my biggest, biggest, biggest stamp love. I have started buying more stamps because I love embellishment making so darn much.

I love to stamp in my journals. Instagram is the perfect place to see beautiful stamped images in play for Traveler Midori. Remember inspiration and not desperation.

Gah Mail Art!!!!! Love!!!!! I bet right there is your stamping juju. I am so inspired by mail art artists. I actually am so inspired I have started stamping my own cute mail art envies to put in my journal. I am never going to be that level and I am ok with that. I just love it so much.

You don't have the wrong stamps probably. They are just not being used in your unique way. If you look at my collection I have all the wrong stamps. I have flamingoes wearing shoes, dragons holding candles, little Goth girls and hardly anything traditional in my collection. I culled traditional. I was like "I am not traditional give this to a beautiful stamper who is."

Last bit of inspiration. I took a long break away from the stamping world to find my style. I was reading, admiring and not playing. I sat down and played.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2017, 08:45 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing I will say is that comparing your work to something others made is a battle you will never win. There will always be someone who is more creative, more experienced or just plain better than you are - if not in style, then in how easy the process is for them or how many goodies they have to play with or how they can tackle creating and promoting themselves at the same time.

You could be the most famous and beloved stamper out there, and there will still come a card that will wow you and make you ask "why didn't I think of that?"

But if you just can't help comparing, then let it be a fair comparison. Remember that the things others share are their cr�me de la cr�me - their best effort and what they're proud of the most. You can't compare that to something you made that you're feeling unsure about. It's a bit like comparing an everyday life (with all the messes, the struggles and challenges) to the lovely curated pictures you see on Facebook. It's so easy to think "wow, they have it down and I'm a mess", when in reality, your life would probably look just as amazing if you only ever saw the highlights.

I've, personally, struggled with trying to recreate a layered CAS look - where there's a cluster of elements on an otherwise empty space (Kay Miller and Shari Carol do this a lot). No matter how much I'd tried, I just felt like I kept coming up short. At first, I thought that maybe I didn't have enough supplies. But even with a whole bundle of supplies from their supply lists, I still couldn't get it right.

So, what finally worked and what made me think "I got this" is when I took a break from social media, blogs and Pinterest and just grabbed some things to play with. Instead of trying to make it look like someone else's style, I just listened to myself and did what felt right. Maybe the end result wasn't what those talented ladies would make, but it gave me the same feeling I get when I see their cards. And that's a win.

If that stamp made you happy when you bought it, then take it out and play with it. There's no rules that say you have to use it a certain way. Try it as a background stamped over patterned paper, or with bits that are paper-pieced. Try only inking parts of the stamp and stamping on top of mixed media background for a grunge look. Try stamping with acrylic color instead of ink and make a glorious mess. Stamp out a bunch and use as throwaway coloring practice. Or get rid of the stamps altogether and invest in stickers and other ephemera.

Just plain have fun.
Art is a journey, not a destination.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2017, 11:44 AM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

All good advice! I am getting rid of a lot of stamps (probably through Facebook groups). Some of them were given to me and I've never used them. They are unmounted, except they've got velcro on the backs. My friend gave them to me from when she had a stamp shop ages ago. I guess you need a wooden block with velcro on it to use it. Others were just things I thought I loved and used once or twice. Played around with them and just...nothing came of it.
Despite having stamps, I'm kind of new to the "stamping world" so I don't do a lot of comparisons. I just feel sort of...I don't know...helpless with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2017, 12:33 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I would get rid of the velcro stamps too, lol. Those are some oldies. I remember those days. I used to get the velcro stuck in my hair. Not funny!

Really if you only have one or two stamps that you just stamp till they fall apart then you have the best stamp collection in the world. I have a Stampin Up French Butterfly set I use so much I am surprised it hasn't tried to fly away thinking "Here she comes again."

I really only have maybe like less than 200 stamps. I know that sounds like a lot. I have been stamping a long, long time. I have over 700 packages of stickers. Now, I would fall apart if I lost my sticker collection but I wouldn't fall apart if I lost my stamp collection, only a few ones I would be upset about.

That is really great advice CreativeCardsea gave you about using other ephemera. Do you think it would feel more natural to mix your stamps with other types of ephemera you like. This is what I do. I treat my stamps as ephemera now. I keep my stamps with my ephemera. I use to keep my stamps separate. That was a creative drain.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2017, 02:19 PM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

I definitely mix my stamps with other media, such as stencils, photos, fancy papers, etc.

Wow--that's a lot of stickers! I like to use them in my planner, with washi tape, but I don't have a lot. I'm very fussy about what kind of stickers to get. I love the Gifted Line--not even sure they are still around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I would get rid of the velcro stamps too, lol. Those are some oldies. I remember those days. I used to get the velcro stuck in my hair. Not funny!

Really if you only have one or two stamps that you just stamp till they fall apart then you have the best stamp collection in the world. I have a Stampin Up French Butterfly set I use so much I am surprised it hasn't tried to fly away thinking "Here she comes again."

I really only have maybe like less than 200 stamps. I know that sounds like a lot. I have been stamping a long, long time. I have over 700 packages of stickers. Now, I would fall apart if I lost my sticker collection but I wouldn't fall apart if I lost my stamp collection, only a few ones I would be upset about.

That is really great advice CreativeCardsea gave you about using other ephemera. Do you think it would feel more natural to mix your stamps with other types of ephemera you like. This is what I do. I treat my stamps as ephemera now. I keep my stamps with my ephemera. I use to keep my stamps separate. That was a creative drain.
Save
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

You have gotten some great advise from some talented people. I think even more than talent, they have understanding of where you are coming from. We have all been there at one time or another for one reason or another. When I started out someone gave me a few stamps and about 5 ink pads---2 were browns and two were greens. OK, I thought---nature colors. I bought some evergreen trees (I lived in the forest) and used some of my kids' construction paper (I only had scissors) and went to town. People were so enthusiastic that it gave me the courage to go on. I now know those early attempts were pretty awful, but I didn't realize it until much later. Share with other stampers. They will encourage you and applaud you and give you valuable hints and tips. Eventually you will find your style and be creating fantastic things. If not, it's a bit of paper and ink and the world will keep spinning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2017, 07:42 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
You have gotten some great advise from some talented people. I think even more than talent, they have understanding of where you are coming from. We have all been there at one time or another for one reason or another. When I started out someone gave me a few stamps and about 5 ink pads---2 were browns and two were greens. OK, I thought---nature colors. I bought some evergreen trees (I lived in the forest) and used some of my kids' construction paper (I only had scissors) and went to town. People were so enthusiastic that it gave me the courage to go on. I now know those early attempts were pretty awful, but I didn't realize it until much later. Share with other stampers. They will encourage you and applaud you and give you valuable hints and tips. Eventually you will find your style and be creating fantastic things. If not, it's a bit of paper and ink and the world will keep spinning!
I think that we ALL look back at our early efforts and wonder what that was about... I heartily agree that encouragement and "permission" to experiment (and fail) and learn what works (and what doesn't) move us down the path to creativity and joy in this art/craft!

Reply With Quote Likes