Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-06-2011, 06:55 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Location: New Jersey....but born and raised in TEXAS originally.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSX rubber stamps- $$$

Hi. I'm not familiar with PSX stamps......I came across some on ebay and was astonished at the prices for some of them. What gives? What makes them so pricey? Rare? Discountined? or money-signs-in-their-eyes sellers?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2011, 07:10 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

All of the above!

PSX went out of business years ago and some of their designs are highly collectible.

The botanicals are one line that continue to get high prices on ebay.

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a few PSX stamps and I have to say the quality is what makes them so valuable now. The stamps are deeply etched and very detailed, making incredible images that are perfect EVERY time. A couple of other stamp companies come close to that quality, but PSX is still ahead of the pack. I keep hoping they will return, but it's been so long now, I'm sure they've found a business more suited to their needs.

Some of the PSX stamps on Ebay are up for a huge price but the seller says to make an offer. I offered a price that was probably insulting, and got refused, but it never hurts to offer what you would be willing to pay, just in case the Seller has misjudged the market for that stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I bought several PSX stamps years ago when I lived in Santa Rosa and have often been tempted to sell them because I haven't used them in years and the prices they get are really high.
One of Kota's Kids
Too Blessed to be Stressed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Yes, PSX is definitely the standard setter for rubber stamps, IMO. My understanding is that Personal Stamp Exchange was closed when the owners parted ways...the images were sold to...oh, man, I forget the first company...but, Inkadinkado bought them and then Wilton bought them. I know one of the former PSX illustrators does images for Inkadinkado. I was curious about PSX illustrators and this week went "asearching" on the Internet. I found Jessica Hische, Amy Moreno who was with PSX from February to April of 2003 and Lyn Dillin was there from 1986 to 2001! She is the one who is with Inkadinkado. She must have done alot of their sentiments because I thought I recognized her style at Inka.

One of the "K" size botanicals just sold for $192.49 on e-bay a week or so ago. And, the fireplace sold for $77 last week. If you have any to sell, now would be the time...right before Christmas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default psx stamps

Beverly,

Good investigative work! lol. What is your favorite PSX stamp (I realize that's a really hard question). I think I love and use my wreaths the most, along with the beautiful calligraphy sentiments, but I also do love my "houses".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by cainpView Post
Beverly,

Good investigative work! lol. What is your favorite PSX stamp (I realize that's a really hard question). I think I love and use my wreaths the most, along with the beautiful calligraphy sentiments, but I also do love my "houses".

Oh, dear...yes, you are right...there's just so many. I seem to use my Botanical Sunflower a great deal. And, I love my little children all in a row...they look like they're singing. Too cute. And, yes, they have the most fabulous wreaths ever. I guess I have to stick with my sunflower though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone is looking for PSX stamps, there are a bunch on Etsy. The most expensive ones are under $70, which may be better than auction-style ebay.

psx on Etsy, a global handmade and vintage marketplace.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2017, 06:05 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

I know this is a really old thread - but I'm hoping someone may have a bit of info. Here is the story: Several years ago, at least as long ago as when this thread started, I saw the PSX K-943 haunted house stamp for the first time, on Ebay. The auction went up to $80+ and I started tracking when another relisted. Weeks, sometimes months would pass before another came up and always it sold for between $60 and $80. After a couple of years, I finally scored one for about $30 and some months later when another one surfaced I got another for about the same price, and planned to sell one later and hopefully make a profit...Time, years, passed and I never got around to trying to sell it. Now I am starting for the first time to list on Ebay and plan to list on Etsy and with Halloween around the corner I thought now is the time to list it...BUT now there are lots of this stamp listed, ranging from about $15 to $60, but most are under $30. Most show the original PSX stamp on the side of the wood block so I don't think they are reproductions, but where are these all coming from? Most look new or barely used. Any ideas???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2017, 08:01 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are many reasons why this is happening... I am just one example of how unused PSX stamps are for sale on eBay & Etsy for less now than they would have been years ago...

Recently I inherited several hundred wood mount stamps from a neighbor, most of which have never been used, and many of them are vintage PSX stamps. I immediately recognized some of them just from my own eBay stamp searches. I personally rarely use wood mount stamps these days as I've been downsizing my own collection. Not for space, but because I like the ease and accuracy of the clear/cling mount stamps. And - although beautiful, many of the PSX stamps are not my personal style.

She parted with them because she's older now and is not stamping as much. She's been stamping as long as I can remember, and I'm in my 30's. So some of these brands/stamps are no longer in business and have value.

If I kept them, they would just take up space and continue to go unused. So I put them up for sale on eBay. I just grouped them in lots and sold them. I just made sure to sell them for less than what other's were asking so they would in fact sell. I didn't want to deal with selling each one separately or looking up how much each one would sell for.

This isn't a specific issue to PSX though. It's happening to vintage House Mouse stamps. Even SU. And clear stamps too. I personally had a bunch of clear mount There She Goes stamp sets that I never used. I store my stamps in their original packaging. The company went out of business and for years, they were worth a pretty penny. Some still are. I sold clear sets I paid $20 for years ago, for $100 on eBay. But now, as tastes and trends change, these sets are available more frequently and for less money even though they aren't made anymore.

I did keep some PSX stamps and mint condition TSG sets, simply to have when I'm older and maybe to sell if they gain value again. But I kept them more to have as a timeline of how stamping as evolved. I'm sure one day when I'm older, I'll look back at my all time favorite stamps, and think - what the heck was I thinking? And give them to my neighbor. And then she will sell them on eBay. LOL.

Last edited by Catherine773; 09-19-2017 at 09:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2017, 08:30 AM   #11  
Inking Addict

Thanks for your perspective, Catherine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you! Like I said, I'm just one way it happens. It's funny that you posted about the Haunted House stamp specifically, I've seen it on eBay so many times and almost bought it. I've put it in my cart. I've watched it. I keep almost buying it. Even when it was $80. (I didn't know it was less expensive now...) I have a tug of war with that stamp! And like I wrote in my post, I don't buy or use wood mount stamps much at all anymore! And I'm an SU demo too with many many years worth of wood stamps to choose from, but that PSX Haunted House stays in my watch page! LOL. I have absolutely no reasoning to this other than I love that stamp - I'd hang on to it, I feel like it will go back up in value!

Last edited by Catherine773; 09-19-2017 at 09:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2017, 09:31 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Isn't there a current retailer that purchased the rights to some of the PSX images? I recall seeing them in a shop within the last year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2017, 11:31 AM   #14  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine773View Post
Thank you! Like I said, I'm just one way it happens. It's funny that you posted about the Haunted House stamp specifically, I've seen it on eBay so many times and almost bought it. I've put it in my cart. I've watched it. I keep almost buying it. Even when it was $80. (I didn't know it was less expensive now...) I have a tug of war with that stamp! And like I wrote in my post, I don't buy or use wood mount stamps much at all anymore! And I'm an SU demo too with many many years worth of wood stamps to choose from, but that PSX Haunted House stays in my watch page! LOL. I have absolutely no reasoning to this other than I love that stamp - I'd hang on to it, I feel like it will go back up in value!
I am also an SU! demo - 14 years now and hanging on with about 3 customers. I have always bought what I loved so when they retire I don't usually let them go...and for my own creations I have "needed" other stamps so I have collected other brands as well. LOTS of wood in my drawers and tubs! LOL! I hope you are right that it may go back up...I am working on pricing and selling a lot of stuff, not just stamps, so I have enough to keep me busy and things that take up more space than a stamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2017, 11:34 AM   #15  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by howdyheidiView Post
Isn't there a current retailer that purchased the rights to some of the PSX images? I recall seeing them in a shop within the last year.
Yes, I thought of that, and as far as I can tell currently it is Inkadinkado. But they now are a sub of Simplicity (yeah, the one that makes patterns) and their website does not show all the stamps they make nor does it identify the artists etc. That stamp is not there anyway.
I also doubt that if any company that got the rights would reproduce the stamp with the old PSX info on it; at most they might identify it as a PSX design, but still have their own company name and location and ID on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzanne JohnsonView Post
Yes, I thought of that, and as far as I can tell currently it is Inkadinkado. But they now are a sub of Simplicity (yeah, the one that makes patterns) and their website does not show all the stamps they make nor does it identify the artists etc. That stamp is not there anyway.
I also doubt that if any company that got the rights would reproduce the stamp with the old PSX info on it; at most they might identify it as a PSX design, but still have their own company name and location and ID on it.
The website I am remembering did have them listed as PSX designs, but I do not recall whether they listed their original names and so on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2017, 01:45 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 659 Likes on 415 Posts

for a while you could get the vintage PSX designs as brand new stamps from the re opened ( that has since closed) Addicted to rubber stamps . com site.

(because, I had ordered some and after the stamps arrived and I tried to link to them for other people I found that store had closed its doors)

they were doing a flat price of around 20.00 for the larger stamps and so, that may have affected the prices of old ones on the resale sites too?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2017, 02:19 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

There's also the possibility that some of the stamps people are selling for cheap via E-Bay are knockoffs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2017, 04:09 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
for a while you could get the vintage PSX designs as brand new stamps from the re opened ( that has since closed) Addicted to rubber stamps . com site.

(because, I had ordered some and after the stamps arrived and I tried to link to them for other people I found that store had closed its doors)

they were doing a flat price of around 20.00 for the larger stamps and so, that may have affected the prices of old ones on the resale sites too?
Maybe that is what I was thinking of!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2017, 06:41 AM   #20  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
I think you hit on the answer - I had forgotten about Addicted to Rubber Stamps acquiring PSX designs, and since they sold many brands their stamps were or would have been marked with the company info. I didn't get the notice when they closed so I don't know if they had an online close out sale or just had some other entity liquidate for them, but either way that is probably where the glut of this PSX stamp design - and probably others - came from and why most look so NEW!

Thanks everyone for the help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2017, 09:56 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 659 Likes on 415 Posts

the ones I have from ADTRS the index is like burned into the wood but the color is not black its more like a faded brownish color and so, they are not as easy to see as an original PSX design with the black index on the wood?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2017, 06:54 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I worked for the now-closed Addicted to Rubber Stamps, and I can tell you with certainty that the glut of PSX designs you are seeing is not due to Addicted. Those stamps were made one at a time as they were ordered by the customers. Addicted's sister company, which creates custom rubber stamps, laser cut the rubber and burned the blocks. There never was any inventory created. The PSX designs didn't go over well during the short time Addicted made them. The re-issued designs from Addicted have the image burned into the block and there was no PSX information on the side of the blocks.

I agree with Catherine773 and the thought that stampers who collected PSX stamps during their peak of popularity are aging and therefore downsizing. And many people who currently stamp are using clear and cling stamps with MISTIs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2017, 06:30 AM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

As a long time ebay buyer I can testify that values go up and down and some are just flat out crazy. If you ever just ask for "rubber stamps" in general, then sort on most expensive first...I did this out of curiosity....there were some Japanese ones that were 7 thousand. Yes thousand. :shock:

I remember that company- I got a couple of them. I cant remember now. Maybe it was Addicted.

House Mouse (HM) is one that drives me nuts. It seems obvious to me that people buy bulk and sit on it. The SECOND they discontinue they will show up for 3x the money.

However....here's the kicker. Sometimes HM will REISSUE-I went through this with a stamp I waited a year for an affordable one....and 6 months later they reissued it!

But honestly...I do often see stamps for full retail or more all the time that are currently available at the mfg, so I always tell new ebay buyers go check it there first. Also some ebay sellers are the mfgs or gen suppliers.

Buyers: if you can be patient you can get stamps at reasonable prices in many cases. Though some of the floral PSX never go down. Since I buy to use I am not paying that.

Tip: Look at Goodwill online. They sell stamps in lots cheap and you can find a PSX in there sometimes that makes it worth it even if you have to garage sale the rest....may not be pristine but if you dont care....you just have to have the patience to scroll through and look over the lots.
Reply With Quote Likes