Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-06-2017, 11:16 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Distress Ink Storage

I am starting to get into collecting distress ink & oxides. How do you guys store your ink pads? I would like something that would be portable so I could take it to crops with me, but want something secure so I don't have to rubber band the lids to make sure they stay on.

Thanks -
Kris
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

If you buying the minis, a lot of people incl me, use these: Mini Distress Ink Storage Tin -Holds 12 | JOANN[ADL]%20[Shopping]%20Product%20Type%20-%20Margin%20[Desktop]%20[High]&gclid=Cj0KCQjwub7NBRDJARIsAP7wlT9Yy2YujIGcoBZsFfdO MQECk9hmt3ZzKE4esPLyTR5VRXwfgbw-tTUaArnYEALw_wcB

You can always have a travel one you pick your colors and go.

Larger Pads is another thing. I just have them in a box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2017, 05:21 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

I started with the mini inks and have one of these but decided I wanted the big ones. I guess they aren't doing the oxides in the minis. I'm hoping something will jump out at me and say this is what you need!! Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2017, 05:30 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by krprice70View Post
I started with the mini inks and have one of these but decided I wanted the big ones. I guess they aren't doing the oxides in the minis. I'm hoping something will jump out at me and say this is what you need!! Thanks for the help.
When he introduced the Oxides, Tim said minis couldn't be made due to their formula. (I wouldn't be surprised if we seem them someday but wouldn't expect that until after all colors in the regular size have been released)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2017, 06:33 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by fifiwesfanView Post
When he introduced the Oxides, Tim said minis couldn't be made due to their formula. (I wouldn't be surprised if we seem them someday but wouldn't expect that until after all colors in the regular size have been released)
I'm not a patient person so am getting them now!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2017, 06:50 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I'm not a patient person so am getting them now!!
I had planned on trying 1 or 2 and maybe add on as time went by. That plan lasted up until I got those AND Bjeans waxed poetic about them. I have them all now and LOVE them! I'll go out on a limb and say you will too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2017, 07:31 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

I picked up 3 of them this week...I'm thinking they will probably need some friends. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2017, 05:11 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Tim mentioned that the minis were too small to allow for an accurate mix of two types of ink. Not his exact words.

I love cubes in regular Distress, Hero Arts, Versafine and others - even Versamark sometimes. But unless something changes large Oxides may be it.

Right now my 24 Oxides are in a plastic shoe box - not sure where they'll permanently live - maybe in another Organize More unit but I've gotten spoiled with minis in a drawer next to me (in a neat stacking box) that I can just pop out in front of me.

When I needed Oxides for a class, 12 fit perfectly stacked in a waterproof makeup bag by Scout called "Packin Heat" that I happened to have. (If you subscribe to their mailing list you get a 15% off discount code.) But with the jarring around in travel, I'd still band them. I use Plasti-bands instead of rubber bands since they're much flatter. They stretch out and I carry extras.

https://www.scoutbags.com/accessories/cosmetic-bags

https://www.amazon.com/Baumgartens-8.../dp/B0008GIKQW
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2017, 08:05 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I love cubes in regular Distress, Hero Arts, Versafine and others - even Versamark sometimes. But unless something changes large Oxides may be it.

Right now my 24 Oxides are in a plastic shoe box - not sure where they'll permanently live - maybe in another Organize More unit but I've gotten spoiled with minis in a drawer next to me (in a neat stacking box) that I can just pop out in front of me.
I don't think they will work as well in a mini form, at least for me. It takes one swipe of the make-up brushes I use to get lots of color. Not sure they would load as well in a mini. (And the larger labels are just sooo pretty to look at)

I currently have mine stored in a lock-n-lock container but will need something else when the other colors come out. I'll explore the links!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2017, 10:44 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I don't think they will work as well in a mini form, at least for me. It takes one swipe of the make-up brushes I use to get lots of color. Not sure they would load as well in a mini. (And the larger labels are just sooo pretty to look at)

I currently have mine stored in a lock-n-lock container but will need something else when the other colors come out. I'll explore the links!
Oh, don't say "larger labels" and "pretty," at least not unless you add grungy. I store the round blending foams underneath each ink pad with a Velcro dot. Handy, right? But packing up the first 12 Oxides after an Oxide class, I stacked up them in the makeup pouch and the ink from each blending pad got on the ink pad label below it. : )

Now I just put paper strips between each row for storage. It bothered me at first but now I can say many of labels look very Tim. IOW, layered with ink. ; )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Tim mentioned that the minis were too small to allow for an accurate mix of two types of ink. Not his exact words.

When I needed Oxides for a class, 12 fit perfectly stacked in a waterproof makeup bag by Scout called "Packin Heat" that I happened to have. (If you subscribe to their mailing list you get a 15% off discount code.) But with the jarring around in travel, I'd still band them. I use Plasti-bands instead of rubber bands since they're much flatter. They stretch out and I carry extras.

Love those bags!!! Thanks for the helpful information.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Sure! My all time favorite is their Pocket Rocket. Waterproof, extremely light weight but sturdy coated cotton, I believe. I carried two packed with heavy stuff for my small consulting business for years and they're still fine. Six outer pockets that hold water bottles and lots of crafty stuff - adhesives, rulers, etc. A fave feature is two sets of handles - short grab handles, and shoulder straps. And they zip closed, but unattach at both ends so you can fold them down flat into the bag for easy access to everything. In fact the bag folds flat if you need to pack it.

I gave one to a professional organizer, and she labeled all the pockets (of course) for her go-to items. Her boss ended up buying them for every organizer.

Now I will stop since I feel kind of foolish raving about a tote bag.

5 down on this page: Best Selling Bags & Totes | SCOUT Bags
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2017, 01:30 AM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

I love Scout bags! I have a few of the 3 way toiletries -and they have 3 zippered sections- great for make up and craft supplies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2017, 07:32 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Currently, I have my Oxides in some containers from JoAnns. They are called Snapware Snap n Snack. The deeper ones are big enough I can store 12 at a time. I can just grab them and go. I used a thinner one for the bottom and it has my ink blending tools. Oh, and I can fit a couple 2oz spray bottles in the deeper ones. I carry a plain water, copper mist, and pearl misters in them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2017, 07:54 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Kristy, I'd seen those JoAnn containers and liked them - will have to revisit. I like that they hold 12. Here are some on Amazon. Do you know which you purchased?

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_1e4jf1aygq_e

I may purchase two of these Edna pouches. If you scroll down to "More Photos" you can see Distress inks stacked two different ways in different photos:

https://www.totally-tiffany.com/prod...king-supplies/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2017, 08:09 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

Ranger put out a line of bags a while back. Tim has one, all the Ranger signature designers have one out. All the ink pads fit in there. If the link works you will be able to see what they look like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2017, 08:13 AM   #17  
Glitter Queen

I meant to continue. The ranger bags are light weight, inexpensive, and are easy to pack. The one picture is the Wendy Vecchi bag. It's a great fit for all the distress inks. It's how I carry mine to class.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2017, 08:53 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonan3View Post
I meant to continue. The ranger bags are light weight, inexpensive, and are easy to pack. The one picture is the Wendy Vecchi bag. It's a great fit for all the distress inks. It's how I carry mine to class.
I've seen them at LSS's and have been tempted for other supplies since it would fit inside my Pocket Rocket tote.

One question about the depth - since it's 2.75" and Oxide inks are 3" and need to be stored flat, can that be done since the bag sides are soft? Or would you need to put the bag on its side?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2017, 09:45 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I have my (23) 3x3 oxide pads, (2) 3x3 distress pads, 12 distress spots, 4 bottles of distress stain, 2 TH applicator handles & pads, and a set of vintage inks and spots SU sold a few years ago stored in an IRIS scrapbook case. It is a bit larger than 12x12, and it holds the 3x3 pads in stacks of 4 easily. I also store the pads upside down because they wiggle less, but if you put them in the center of the case, you can stack 5 and there is no wiggling and the case will close. Of course, this is my home storage solution and might not work well for travel, but it is great for having them all together. The cases can be bought on sale often at M's and I store almost everything in them. I have MANY of these cases with several of them in special carts that come with the cases. Of course I prefer those since I don't have to shuffle them to get to the one on the bottom! I have also recently moved all my SU pads, reinkers, and retired pads, reinkers, and markers into a set of these that are in a cart. Now if I want red ink...it is easy to use an old one if I want, without having to search for it indifferent spots in my stamp room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristy TyraView Post
Currently, I have my Oxides in some containers from JoAnns. They are called Snapware Snap n Snack. The deeper ones are big enough I can store 12 at a time. I can just grab them and go. I used a thinner one for the bottom and it has my ink blending tools. Oh, and I can fit a couple 2oz spray bottles in the deeper ones. I carry a plain water, copper mist, and pearl misters in them.

I had to chuckle with your post Kristy - this is the exact one I picked up this weekend. I thought it would work to carry both of the ink sets - distress in one & oxides in the other. I liked the fact that they lock together. Thanks for the information!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2017, 10:19 AM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Kristy, I'd seen those JoAnn containers and liked them - will have to revisit. I like that they hold 12. Here are some on Amazon. Do you know which you purchased?

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_1e4jf1aygq_e

I may purchase two of these Edna pouches. If you scroll down to "More Photos" you can see Distress inks stacked two different ways in different photos:

https://www.totally-tiffany.com/prod...king-supplies/

JoAnn's just had those snapware containers on sale this weekend for $9.99 & then 20% off your whole purchase. I will have to look at my receipt but I want to say I ended up paying $5.99 for the one I picked up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Bjeans. I unzip the bag and stack them. Three on top of each other. I have also put some on their side. I have no problems with any drying out. Btw you know Angelas is closing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2017, 05:29 PM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

JoAnn's just had those snapware containers on sale this weekend for $9.99 & then 20% off your whole purchase. I will have to look at my receipt but I want to say I ended up paying $5.99 for the one I picked up.
Thanks - I was wondering what the rough measurements were, since Amazon showed so many different sizes. If I buy any I'd go with Joann if much less expensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2017, 05:36 PM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonan3View Post
Bjeans. I unzip the bag and stack them. Three on top of each other. I have also put some on their side. I have no problems with any drying out. Btw you know Angelas is closing.
Yes, I went through a couple very long lines the day after the email went out. It was packed. How sad. ( Have you been there since the announcement?

I found the Tonic email - here's the part talking about storing:

"Distress Oxide Ink Pads should be stored flat. Since the formula contains pigment, storing the pads on the sides may result in drawing the ink to the edge of the pad.

Original Distress Ink Pads can be stored flat or on the sides. If storing these pads on the side, just be sure there is no space for the lid to open."

They also said there were no plans to make a Distress storage unit or case. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2017, 11:21 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I keep mine in this:

ArtBin Quick View Carrying Case 15"

I bought the large one at Michaels (there's a smaller one, but it wouldn't fit all the ink pads I had) and used a coupon.

It holds quite a few of the full size ink pads....I think I have 65 ink pads (distress and oxide) and there's still room for a couple more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2017, 02:32 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Oh, don't say "larger labels" and "pretty," at least not unless you add grungy. I store the round blending foams underneath each ink pad with a Velcro dot. Handy, right? But packing up the first 12 Oxides after an Oxide class, I stacked up them in the makeup pouch and the ink from each blending pad got on the ink pad label below it. : )

Now I just put paper strips between each row for storage. It bothered me at first but now I can say many of labels look very Tim. IOW, layered with ink. ; )
I added a colour coded piece of ribbon to the bottom of my full sized pads, adhered, with a bit of slack, on the ends only with extra strong large glue dots. I tuck my foams underneath with the coloured side against the label so no contamination. In the drawers I use, they still fit with the foam on the bottom.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2017, 02:38 PM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
I added a colour coded piece of ribbon to the bottom of my full sized pads, adhered, with a bit of slack, on the ends only with extra strong large glue dots. I tuck my foams underneath with the coloured side against the label so no contamination. In the drawers I use, they still fit with the foam on the bottom.
Could you please come to my house and fix me? : )

Great idea. So no Velcro, just the ribbon? Where is it adhered - to the outside or inside edge? I'm guessing outside? Did you fold the ribbon over so it wouldn't fray? Pictures? (And too many questions?!)
Reply With Quote Likes