Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-04-2017, 11:52 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with cutting intricate dies and Stampin Up's new big shot platform

I have a problem cutting some intricate dies. I was wondering if this platform really does work with these dies. I don't always trust the word of demonstrators or anybody else when it comes to selling their own product. Do you have one as a customer and does it help with cutting your more intricate dies than the old one. I don't see it anywhere but by Stampin Up
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Do you have the Precision Base Plate? That's what is recommended for intricate dies. It is steel and therefore is a harder surface than the acrylic plates to cut into. Use it as the cutting plate along with the platform that came with your machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2017, 02:44 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Maybe you can find some help in this thread: Sizzix dies by shirlb19 at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2017, 03:41 PM   #4  
Glitter Queen

Thanks. Yes, I have the precision plate and I have tried all of the suggestions other than the quick release paper in the other thread, and this one particular die still does not cut well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2017, 06:12 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

The die might be defective. I once bought a set of Anna Griffin dies from HSN. They were lovely - and expensive - and no matter how I shimmed them (Precision Base Plate, different sandwiches, special mat that came with the dies), they wouldn't cut at all. Not a sliver. I returned them and received a refund. I recently took a chance and bought a different AG set of dies from HSN, and they work just fine. Sometimes the dies just don't work. I hope you can get yours to work or get a refund.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2017, 04:09 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't used the Precision Base Plate and don't own it. I just shim. Is the PBP really much better than shimming with intricate dies? Curious as to whether I should buy one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2017, 08:07 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

It seems we all have some of those "finicky" dies. I have several that no matter what I tried, they just wouldn't cut. Drove me nuts so I just put them in the back of my die drawer. Then I read a tip on one of the threads talking about the cut plates warping so soon. Tried it on those dies that nothing else worked for.....and guess what? They now cut like a dream! It was the AccuQuilt Go cutting matt. I couldn't believe it. It's such a simple thing, but it works. I ordered a spare (Amazon) so when I trash it, I can keep cutting. Should work with any machine or die and I cut mine down to the size I wanted with some heavy duty shears.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2017, 04:54 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Bluefeather, I looked at this on Amazon and can't figure out what it's made of or how to use it. The How-To description on the package does not appear to apply to thin dies we use for cards. It mentions using dies 'foam side up.'

Robin, I got the Precision Base Plate at Michaels with coupon and it's been really good. The die's blade normally cuts through cardstock and into the acrylic plate, cutting the surface of that plate, showing that it is somewhat 'soft.'
When you use PBP as the surface you are cutting into, the blade does not go into that plate, so you have a very hard surface. Therefore, your die blades cut better. DON'T use it for frame-type dies, ONLY intricate ones. I'm very glad I bought one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2017, 07:40 PM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueFeatherView Post
It seems we all have some of those "finicky" dies. I have several that no matter what I tried, they just wouldn't cut. Drove me nuts so I just put them in the back of my die drawer. Then I read a tip on one of the threads talking about the cut plates warping so soon. Tried it on those dies that nothing else worked for.....and guess what? They now cut like a dream! It was the AccuQuilt Go cutting matt. I couldn't believe it. It's such a simple thing, but it works. I ordered a spare (Amazon) so when I trash it, I can keep cutting. Should work with any machine or die and I cut mine down to the size I wanted with some heavy duty shears.
We must have read the same thread, way back when, recommending the AccuQuilt Go cutting mat. I ordered it and am glad I did. It works very well despite it being a softer, more pliable material than the cutting plates. I have a Big Shot and a Cuttlebug and it works in both. I got mine on Amazon and it was quite inexpensive at the time. You were smart to order a spare. Mine is holding up well, but you never know when a company might discontinue an item, especially one that works!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2017, 10:38 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Harvestmoon,You use it in place of a cutting plate. I did add a chipboard shim in my sandwich. Used it on several dies and it works quite well. I have a Vagabond and Bigshot and it worked in both. I used a magnetic base plate on the bottom, then the chipboard shim, acrylic plate, my die cutting side up, cardstock to be cut, and then the AQ Go cutting mat. Run it through. I did rub it down with a dryer sheet because my cardstock likes to stick to it {static cling}. Seems to help. I use the small 6x6 mat for small dies and I cut the longer 6x10 down just so it extends past my magnetic platform about 1/2 inch. Makes it feed smooth as butta. ;) They are fairly inexpensive so I don't think you have anything to lose.

Boss,
I know what you mean by soft and pliable. I had my doubts, but they were short lived thank goodness. I'm so used to that crackling sound when I cut.....maybe I should make a recording on my phone and play it when I'm using this Go mat! Then I'll know it's working, right? lol

I tried the precision base plate, but it did not work for these "finicky" dies. I do not hesitate to order delicate dies anymore. In fact the fancier the better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2017, 06:48 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

One thing to try is to place your die cutting edge face up on a new cutting plate (totally flat) then your cardstock then your top cutting plate. I have tried this and it seems to work great for about 99% of my intricate dies. I don't like using the precision base plate because it warps my cutting plate. When you use your die cutting side up you always have a flat plate on the bottom so your die should always cut evenly.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2017, 04:20 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Waxed Paper

The group of ladies that I stamp with has Big Shot. Precision Plate. All that stuff. Hideous results with Detailed Floral Thinlits (SU) and Bloomin Heart Thinlit. (SU)
Tadah - we have much better results with waxed paper.
By now you have probably figured that out - sorry. I am new to here and excited to read all of you all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2017, 03:55 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

I recently saw a video from a few years ago by the Cheery Lynne guy in which he cautions against wax paper (I know! I have often used wax paper myself!) because it leaves a coating on the dies. He suggests using pieces of those thin plastic grocery bags, an idea he got from someone on this forum. Which is actually genius. They work beautifully.

Just FYI. BTW, I first heard about wax paper from a rep at Sizzix. That's how I got started using it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2017, 04:13 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Oh, no, I misspoke. It was a Spellbinders rep. Not Sizzix.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2017, 05:50 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Some dies are just tough. I couldn't cut through with two full coverage dies (kind of a set) using my Cuttlebug despite every sandwich, type of plate, shims on problem areas, release paper, mats, different thicknesses of CS, etc.

I brought the dies to an LSS and the owner tried with two different Big Shots - regular and big. Same exact problems in the same areas. (Actually, I was able to finally cut them but need Schwarzenegger strength, which could kill any machine.)

The company sent me new ones and I'm afraid to try them. I did notice that the cutting parts of the dies don't feel as sharp or look as narrow as on some other dies. Adore these dies, of course. So it goes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2017, 06:06 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

I sometimes wonder if these die designers actually test their designs.

Those full coverage dies require equal and sufficient pressure in every spot on the platform. Which just can't happen. I suspect that if you had a Pro machine and could rotate the die, it might help. That's the first thing they tell you if you call to whine about a die not cutting - did you try rotating it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2017, 07:42 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Yes, I bet that would make sense for some dies. Given the location of the non-cutting areas, plus the overall dull feeling, in this case rotation probably wouldn't help. (I don't remember which large Big Shot she had. It was a few weeks ago so might as well have been two years. Holy brain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2017, 01:03 PM   #18  
Glitter Queen

I tried the suggestion of the AccuQuilt Go cutting mat but still doesn't cut through very well. I also can't get the die to release from the paper without tearing the diecut. This has been very frustrating. This is the only die that I have had problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2017, 01:04 PM   #19  
Glitter Queen

I still wish I could get information about Stampin Up's new base platform.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2017, 01:17 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by linalexView Post
I tried the suggestion of the AccuQuilt Go cutting mat but still doesn't cut through very well. I also can't get the die to release from the paper without tearing the diecut. This has been very frustrating. This is the only die that I have had problems.
This won't solve the cutting problem, but this release paper has been outstanding for releasing paper from dies. I've even used the release paper that is cut along with the CS as an extra, delicate die cut.

https://www.marcopaper.com/products....ease-Die-Paper

Good luck.
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2017, 02:15 PM   #21  
Glitter Queen

Is it better than parchment paper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2017, 02:18 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by linalexView Post
Is it better than parchment paper
Since not all parchment paper is identical it's hard to say. It's better than one I tried, thinner.
Reply With Quote Likes